• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Patch 1.29 PTR (March 15 Update)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 32
Patch 1.29 PTR Update

Hey everyone! As most of you guys know, Patch 1.29 is still in the public testing phase. For those who don't, the thread detailing the insane changes (24 players supports, tons of new natives, balance changes, world editor limits raised, true widescreen, etc) is here: Warcraft III - Patch 1.29 PTR
You will also find the download link linked on that thread.

Today comes with a significant update that comes with many bug-fixes, but other changes and adjustments were made to the melee and modding scenes as well.

hivearticlepatch1-29-01-png.292388

• Camera reset to 1.28 height
• Team colors revision v2. Props to @Erkan for setting us on the path (Erkan's post on the Hive color thread)

BUG FIXES
• Korean client crash resolved
• Custom hotkeys no longer unbind Esc
• Matchmaking now starts when using community maps
• Alchemist's Healing Spray now self-heals
• Various missing textures located
• Queueing actions behaves correctly
• Thanks to @TriggerHappy for the test map

KNOWN ISSUES
• Selecting LAN in Asian locales crashes the client
• Esc on Mac has a chance to close the client
• Opening a scoreboard will temporarily freeze the game during a multiplayer match
• TriggerAddCondition() now requires you to add (Condition()) around the "function
funcname"
• Constant native DecPlayerTechResearched not working
• The GUI equivalent for SetAbilityOnIcon and GetAbilityOnIcon have invalid parameters
causing the editor to throw errors
• World Editor crashes with bad IF statement syntax
• Cannot set research to a lower level using SetPlayerTechResearched
• DecPlayerTechResearched causes SetPlayerTechResearched to set level at a lower value
• PlaySpecialEffect and PlaySpecialEffectWithTimeScale are not working correctly
• The Italian client is missing menus
hivearticlepatch1-29-02-png.292389

• Ladder maps cleansed of sneaky tower locations near starting mines
• Blademaster, Shadow Hunter, Dreadlord, Demon Hunter, and Priestess of the Moon have been adjusted.

BALANCE CHANGES DETAILS
Blademaster
• Mirror Image
• Decreased Mana cost (all levels) from 115 to 100

Shadow Hunter
• Serpent Wards: Increase damage and Increase HP
• Level 1: Increase damage from 11-13 to 14 to 16; Increase HP from 75 to 90
• Level 2: Increase damage from 23-26 to 27-30; Increase HP from 135 to 165
• Level 3: Increase damage from 41-45 to 48 to 52; Increase HP from 135 to 200

Dread Lord
• Carrion Swarm: (Buff) Mana Cost (all levels) 110 → 100
• Max Damage Increase:
• Level 1: 300 Dmg to 400 Dmg
• Level 2: 600 Dmg to 700 Dmg
• Level 3: 1000 Dmg 1200 Dmg

Demon Hunter
• Mana Burn: (Nerf) Mana cost increase from 50 to 60

Priestess of the Moon
• Attack Speed (cool down): (Buff) change default from 2.46 to 2.33
• Scout: (Buff) Mana cost reduction and increase movement speed
• Level 1: Reduce mana cost from 100 to 50; Increase movement speed from 270
to 300
• Level 2: Reduce mana cost from 75 to 50
hivearticlepatch1-29-03-png.292390

• World Editor limits raised for reals
Neutral Units - 2,048
• Neutral Buildings - 384
• Player Units - 4,320
• Player Buildings - 2,400
• Items - 1,024

And that's all! 1.29 looks to be one step closer to its full release. Please test the new PTR version and help provide feedback either on our forums or Blizzard's forums.

Link to Blizzard patch notes: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/bnet/topic/20761878126

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 6
Great that the updates come in so fast, but I am really dissapointed that they reverted the height again. This was in my opinion, and I'm not alone with it, one of the best changes that they made.
I can understand that some pro players felt weird about it in the first place, and I do respect when it comes to nostalgia. But after a few days, many of us and of them got used to it really fast.
There is no upside to going back to the old height.

It was WAY better for watching streams like Grubby because you could follow the action much better. For the first time my girlfriend watched him a bit too, because she was actually knowing what was going on.
It was easier to get into the game for new players because they would not have to get used to a 2003 cramped view, that the successors of its mods did eliminate for something like 10 years now. (League of Legends and Dota2 for example)
And I would even say it was a lot smoother on any custom map too, because you just had so much more possibilities of greating bigger scenes with more units and more oversight. Of course there is always the -zoomout command workaround, but I still feel it should not be the way to go.

Maybe I'm a bit too harsh on the beaver, I just woke up and read the patch notes, and this was the first thing that came into my eyes. Maybe I should do more thinking about it.
However, enough of the sobbing in this matter: Still great work in all the other parts. They are really working on the game and that is nice to see. Especially the many upgrades to the World Editor and the fixes are amazing! Keep up that part, and maybe do the favor for me and others: Put the camera on 1.29 height again. It's 2018 and people should get used to something that is more up to date, even for an old game like this.

Level 10
Hmmmm... is it weird that i liked the previous 12 new colours more? uh... anyway.
New 'Dark Blue' is rather unpleasant to look at, something about it's just so off-putting.
I find it hard to differentiate between 'Light Yellow', 'Light Orange' and 'Light Green' as well, but all this could just be me, I dunno.

Level 13

Please, someone, whoever really, anyone who reads this comment... please. GET THE OLD CAMERA BACK, zoomed out was soo good and it was soo clear + it was better to see the screen, now since its zoomed in, I feel like nothing changed, even with the widescreen support. I want that 1.29 camera zoom back. Thanks in advance @Blizzard

Please, someone, whoever really, anyone who reads this comment... please. GET THE OLD CAMERA BACK, zoomed out was soo good and it was soo clear + it was better to see the screen, now since its zoomed in, I feel like nothing changed, even with the widescreen support. I want that 1.29 camera zoom back. Thanks in advance @Blizzard

just no.

Level 1
uhhhhhhhhh when i try to update to the new PTR changes (with the camera changed to 1.28) it doesn't work,or is it that its not out yet?

Last edited:
Level 28
GET THE OLD CAMERA BACK, zoomed out was soo good and it was soo clear + it was better to see the screen
There is no upside to going back to the old height.
There is! WarIII is such a micro intensive game. Try to micro a single small unit like a ghoul/archer/footman out of a battle alive, with heroes and stuff all going on at the screen. It's easier when the camera is closer, because those units are small and hard to click at, in the middle of the confusion. Same goes for spellcasters like talons or sorcs, or when you're carefully microing them to block the path of a fleeing hero.

I like the far camera though. You can appreciate the game more and have a better sense of what's going on, imo.

Those disadvantages I mentioned are more of a small discomfort than an actual big problem, but I bet Blizzard has heard complaints from the competitive melee players in order to change the camera back to default.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Alchemist's Healing Spray now self-heals
What about enemy units? I hope that was kept too because otherwise the Alchemist shouldn't also heal himself if enemy units are not also healed like in the previous versions.
Great that the updates come in so fast, but I am really dissapointed that they reverted the height again.
Me too.
So make it optional.
Well, I'm not sure but everyone should play ladder the same way for balance?

@TylerUTS do not multipost! Delete bonus messages and copy the text in one clicking the green Edit button at its bottom.

Level 6
I would also be okay with a middleway. Let both groups sacrifice a bit. Change it to 50% or 60% of the PTR changes.
Or add options to change the height only for custom games, and keep it the same in ladder if it distracts pro players so much.
Just imagine huge 24 players fun maps with a more zoomed out height.
The bigger the maps get, the harder it will be to get used to it with the zoomed in view. Especially for new and/or returning players, should you be aiming for that, with a possible "Remaster" or big Wc3 announcement thing.

Camera height is not the problem and never was. You can change camera height in custom maps, but in melee it has to stay the way it was for 15+ years.

There is a reason why the camera height was the way it was; War3, as Naze pointed out is micro intensive. You would have a problem clicking and managing heroes and smaller units on a huge battlefield when viewing from so far. Another reason is detail; the more you zoom out, the less detail you begin to see on units. Warcraft 3 was always designed with close proximity to units.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Then don't have it zoomed in?
So what I'm saying is, there are reasons to have it zoomed in (i.e. original) & zoomed out (i.e. new patch). But the difference in camera height can potentially affect gameplay & thus balance (e.g. a player using new-patch-camera can see farther than a player using original-camera; this means they might see the flanking army better & avoid it, or can see & target an escaping Hero better). IF that's true (that they can see further and that it could affect balance), then it means you can't combine both in the same game at the same time (i.e. have an original-camera player vs. a new-patch-camera player); because that would introduce imbalance. A 'toggle switch' would allow for this to happen, and so there could be no toggle switch option.

This, of course, depends on some big IFs, so it all is just conjecture.

Level 6
Camera height is not the problem and never was.

Just because something was designed to be like this almost 16 years ago, does not mean it is the right thing to do in this point of time. The first Iphone was released 5 years later than that. I mean we were using potatoes as computers back then, and for that point of time the height was fine and good. And yeah it is no problem and never was, but it is just not suitable anymore.

There is a reason why the camera height was the way it was; War3, as Naze pointed out is micro intensive. You would have a problem clicking and managing heroes and smaller units on a huge battlefield when viewing from so far. Another reason is detail; the more you zoom out, the less detail you begin to see on units. Warcraft 3 was always designed with close proximity to units.

I do agree with that point on a level that it makes it harder. But I would not call it a problem in any way. The pro players at the Wc3 invitational definitely showed that it is possible to do micro on the highest level of skill.
And saying you can see less details on units, is like saying don't play zoomed out in World of Warcraft because you don't see the level of detail while doing so. You can always zoom in to see the detail of the units, other than that beeing practical is the most important aspect of the game.

Level 19
You guys remind me CS 4:3 vs 16:9 debates. Thing is, Valve just allowed that and didn't think twice about, just like any sane person would do. Hah, maybe roll back to mouse with balls inside? Laser mouses have too high DPI, you know, kinda imbalanced. Also hotkeys, Move, for instance, much better at German WC3 version. Should deutsch players be auto-banned?
Stop crying. All player's FOV settings should be accessible with reasonable limits.

Level 11
I'm disappointed they changed height back as well. I understand that some people need the old way, or feel nostalgic about it, but I really like the zoomed out camera. Like others said, I'm also in favour of allowing players to choose from 2 or 3 zoom levels. There should be a keyboard shortcut to easily toggle zoom.

Some said this would bring imbalance, but I disagree. If it's an option that anyone can access at any time, with a keyboard shortcut, everybody would be equal. It would even be more interesting, because one would have to make a choice depending on the situation: zoom out and get a better overall view, or zoom in and get a better micro management.

Why are you guys so obsessed over this? Like, this has been accessible to us for 15 years. You can change camera height in your custom maps, what's the problem? I don't understand it. The change was reverted in favor of melee maps, custom maps are NOT affected.

Obviously if you play melee you would understand why they reverted the change.

Level 11
Why are you guys so obsessed over this? Like, this has been accessible to us for 15 years. You can change camera height in your custom maps, what's the problem? I don't understand it. The change was reverted in favor of melee maps, custom maps are NOT affected.

Well I do enjoy a melee map from time to time, and I liked the new height. And like I said, new height as a toggle option would bring a new dimension to melee games, where you have to make the most efficient choices depending on the situation; that wouldn't be imbalanced.
Also, when playing a custom map from someone else, custom height is not always there, and I won't edit each single map just to change that.
It would be nice for ROC and TFT campaigns, too.

Level 6
Why are you guys so obsessed over this?
I guess that is how "Patch Discussions" do work. Not obsessed, but trying to hold a discussion with constructive arguments is what this topic is partly about.
Let's not get over ourselves. I do play melee, and did many years in the past. And I do understand your points, I just do not agree with them, and because of that I'm discussing.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Also, when playing a custom map from someone else, custom height is not always there, and I won't edit each single map just to change that.
It would be nice for ROC and TFT campaigns, too.
Actually, here, I have to contradict because some custom maps are/were specifically designed for the usual game camera height. Therefore, seeing things from a higher perspective could create problems, as in spoilers or seeing things you shouldn't, like patches of useless terrain and so on. That means, mappers would have to force a specific camera for all their current/new maps or design their maps to be fit for all or one (?) camera height value.
What I'm saying is, a partial solution would be a game option/trigger that can force either one of the game camera heights, something like how you can enforce subtitles.

Level 11
Actually, here, I have to contradict because some custom maps are/were specifically designed for the usual game camera height. Therefore, seeing things from a higher perspective could create problems, as in spoilers or seeing things you shouldn't, like patches of useless terrain and so on. That means, mappers would have to force a specific camera for all their current/new maps or design their maps to be fit for all or one (?) camera height value.
What I'm saying is, a partial solution would be a game option/trigger that can force either one of the game camera heights, something like how you can enforce subtitles.
If it applied for cinematics, I'd agree, but we're talking about game camera here. In most cases, even with regular camera you would still see useless terrain etc if you move the camera. The only case that could be problematic (well, the only one I can think of) would be games with locked camera.
But I totally agree with your option/trigger suggestion. :)

Also, I think no one pointed out that new colours no longer include dark blue :( Even if I found it slighlty too dark (looking almost black at night), it was really nice.
But old purple and light blue are back! :)

Last edited:

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Well, I'm not sure but everyone should play ladder the same way for balance?

To me, this is no different than saying everyone has to play on the same graphic settings, with the same FPS, with the same resolution.
Because those things definitely impact how you play. Good luck being decent with 10fps in 600x800 res on low settings

Level 16
Hello guys!
Still waiting for the official update, I just had an idea which I want to discuss.
I've noticed a lot of members of Hive over the years have made an amazing amount of models, skins, and other resources for the game.
What are the chances that Blizzzard officials would think of implementing some of the resources to the new patch, like optionals.
Basically you would have to choose between an 'enhanced' version to download, or the standard one.

I'm not only talking about looks, although it does play a great part.
I'm talking about some users who have managed to optimize the original resources, tweaking them and generally making them more functional just as appealing.
I'll take an example of what comes to mind right now, Ujimasa Hojo's Resources Discussion

Level 13
Okay first of all, I'm sorry for bursting out and getting mad for no reason. But seriously, the zoom out was soo good, and I saw someone mentioned that its hard for someone to micro if the camera is zoomed out... No offense really, but seriously, if you have problems using a mouse to click on a unit, please get good at the game. The zoom out was soooo good especially because your PoV(Point of view) is soo far back, you can see a lot of stuff that's happening on your screen, and you can react better to situations better. Oh and FYI, I'm pretty sure most of you have seen SC2(StarCraft2) and I'm not the one to talk here, but the gameplay on that game is like 10 times faster than WC3, so for someone that has fast reaction speed, and good "Mouse aim" even with a camera zoomed out, then that is a good/pro player. But if you can't play with a zoomed out camera, just because you miss-microed a unit, then that's not the camera's fault, its your fault for not being a good player at the game. And as for it being an Option for the camera zoom" I agree it will be unbalanced, so don't add it, but instead, make it zoomed out. Sorry if anyone gets offended, but I really loved the zoom out, it made WC3 feel like a bran new different game.

Oh man, those Balance Changes... So is this it, guys? Such tiny changes in numbers... But it's all the right stuff, right? Wind Walk & Scout = viable? Mana Burn, finally nerfed??

@GhostThruster
Baby steps, but theoretically in the right direction.
Keep in mind units are still untouched. We have a lot more balance changes to wait for.

*Mirror Image

Level 28
No offense really, but seriously, if you have problems using a mouse to click on a unit, please get good at the game
I feel the need to inform that I've got in contact with that argument (that the zoomed out camera was hard to micro small units) by watching streams/videos of people who are really good at the game.

The arguments that the zoomed out camera is better are pretty understandable. I personally prefer it zoomed out, cause I'm a casual and not a competitive pro player.

I just brought that argument for those that didn't understand why blizzard brought the old camera back. Here is my guess: they must've heard complaints from competitive ladder community that it was hard to micro small units/click on items in the middle of a confusing battle.

Sorry to say this all over again. Also I'm glad this conversation here is going on aswell: Producer Question: Camera Height

Last edited:

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Hello guys!
Still waiting for the official update, I just had an idea which I want to discuss.
I've noticed a lot of members of Hive over the years have made an amazing amount of models, skins, and other resources for the game.
What are the chances that Blizzzard officials would think of implementing some of the resources to the new patch, like optionals.
Basically you would have to choose between an 'enhanced' version to download, or the standard one.

I'm not only talking about looks, although it does play a great part.
I'm talking about some users who have managed to optimize the original resources, tweaking them and generally making them more functional just as appealing.
I'll take an example of what comes to mind right now, Ujimasa Hojo's Resources Discussion
... or maybe this?
Long time no see, a little texturing fun I had

Please @Traggey, come baaaack!

Level 4
So some of my models are suddenly without texture or totally a single color after changing my map to the patch version. Anyone know how to fix this?
(I already tried re-importing all the models and textures)

Level 7
Sad to hear one of the best chnages they made has been reversed due to people complaining about the camera. If you think WC3 Mellee is hard to micro then you should try playing epic battle games like Az wars/LTA where the camera is zoomed out and your controlling huge armies.

Also wc3 graphics look terrible when your zoomed in, so its also an aesthetical change as well as a practical one.

Level 19
can anyone on 1.29 make a couple tests for me?
I want to see if game will eventually crash if SetItemName/Description/any other new text cmd used many times
script should designate random string names, maybe generated, to any existing item, for like 100-200 times
then restart the map and once again
if Im right it will crash at 2nd-8th restart

Did your test:
Placed 8 Items out of 4 different itemTypes.
This crashed every 2n restart.

JASS:
function randomChar takes nothing returns string
   local integer random = GetRandomInt(0,37)
   if random < 10 then
       return I2S(random)
   elseif random == 11 then
       return "A"
   elseif random == 12 then
       return "B"
   elseif random == 13 then
       return "C"
   elseif random == 14 then
       return "D"
   elseif random == 15 then
       return "E"
   elseif random == 16 then
       return "F"
   elseif random == 17 then
       return "G"
   elseif random == 18 then
       return "H"
   elseif random == 19 then
       return "I"
   elseif random == 20 then
       return "H"
   elseif random == 21 then
       return "I"
   elseif random == 22 then
       return "J"
   elseif random == 23 then
       return "K"
   elseif random == 24 then
       return "L"
   elseif random == 25 then
       return "M"
   elseif random == 26 then
       return "N"
   elseif random == 27 then
       return "O"
   elseif random == 28 then
       return "P"
   elseif random == 29 then
       return "Q"
   elseif random == 30 then
       return "R"
   elseif random == 31 then
       return "S"  
   elseif random == 32 then
       return "T"
   elseif random == 33 then
       return "V"
   elseif random == 34 then
       return "W"
   elseif random == 35 then
       return "X"
   elseif random == 36 then
       return "Y"
   elseif random == 37 then
       return "Z"
   endif  
endfunction
function randomText takes integer i returns string
   local string s = ""
   loop
       exitwhen i == 0
       set s = s +randomChar()
       set i = i - 1
   endloop
   return s
endfunction
  • DoRandom
    • Events
      • Time - Every 0.05 seconds of game time
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Item - Pick every item in (Playable map area) and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • Custom script: set udg_Text = randomText(10)
          • Item - Set Name of (Picked item) to Text
          • Custom script: set udg_Text = randomText(10)
          • Item - Set Tooltip of (Picked item) to Text
          • Custom script: set udg_Text = randomText(100)
          • Item - Set Extended Tooltip of (Picked item) to Text
          • Item - Set Description of (Picked item) to Text
      • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
        • If - Conditions
          • (Execution count of (This trigger)) Equal to 50
        • Then - Actions
          • Trigger - Turn off (This trigger)
          • Game - Display to (All players) for 30.00 seconds the text: Done
        • Else - Actions

Level 4
In the menues, the letters for fields where I have to enter sth. (e.g. player name) sometimes look a bit pixelated or not clean.
Also I can not host on the public test server. I have the same settings and use the same port as in my normal WC3. The game will appear visible to other players but can not be joined. In 1.28 it works without problems. Not sure if this is supposed to be the case.

These are the only problems I ran into and I love seeing that the new balance stuff does not affect old custom maps (especially BM crit calculation). Aside from that the updates to WorldEdit appear to be awesome.

One recommendation for the game however which I've also already seen elsewhere: Unit groups of more than 12 units. Unit groups work really well in wc3 but I think it would be great to be able to select your whole army at once in addition to those.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

I'm looking forward to the patch being released on live servers! Hope the campaign can be relived in that 16:9 glory.

TriggerAddCondition() now requires you to add (Condition()) around the "function
funcname"
Hasn't it always been so in vanilla JASS2? I thought it was JASSHelper which let you omit Condition().

Level 4
Will the new world editor of 1.29 patch contain advanced tooltip creator? I mean, an option (just like in newgen WE) to preview tooltip and add colors to the text? So far I've been using newgen we, but with the new additions to we in 1.29, I will probably switch to regular we, so the lack of that tooltip management would really hurt. Or is there a possibility to mod WE to have advanced tooltips?

Status
Not open for further replies.