• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modeling Contest #35 - Troll

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
hive-logo-small-remoosed-png.373032

modeling-png.373686
contest-png.373719

png.373678
3-png.373675
5-png.373685

trolltheme-png.405637

Contestants must create a Troll model e.g. unit or hero. The Troll model should resemble the style of the Warcraft 3 trolls. The model must be made in SD for Warcraft 3: Classic.

other_rules_and_conditions-png.311513

• Submissions must follow the contest theme.
  • Submissions may not be started / made before the official launch of the contest.
  • Teamwork is not allowed (physically working on someone else's entry).
    • Giving feedback isn't considered teamwork and is always welcome. However, if you feel someone is abusing it, you may appeal to the appointed moderator.
  • Post 2 Works-In-Progress (pictures or videos) in the contest thread during the contest process. It must be clear that you are working on the submission.
  • The submission must be posted in the respective resource section, before the contest ends.
    • The resource description must make it clear it's a submission from the respective contest.
  • Post your final entry in the contest thread before contest is over. The post should be a little presentation, including a link to your entry.
  • Judges may not participate.
  • Submissions must follow the Model Submission Rules.
    • Model must contain at least these animations:
      • Stand
      • Attack
      • Walk
      • Death
      • Portrait Animations (whether it's for a camera or a separate portrait model)
    • Model may contain multiple animations.
In order to enter the contest and be eligible to win a prize, contestants must submit their final entry to the SD Model Resource section. Remember to write in the description: "Entry for the 35th Modeling Contest".

Breaking any of these rules may lead to punishment in the judgement score, up to disqualification from the contest, depending on the weight of the issue. In case of doubts towards a certain rule you are very encouraged to discuss it in the contest thread so others and judges may help with sorting it out.

other_prizes-png.311512

• 1st place: 750 experience points
  • 2nd place: 600 experience points
  • 3rd place: 450 experience points
  • Entry: 150 experience points
  • Judge: 25 experience points per entrant
The three winners will receive an award icon representing the winning entry.​

other_judges-png.311510

• To be announced.
  • Want to be a judge for this contest? Read this.

other_contest_judging-png.311506

Mesh
How does the mesh look? How are its proportions, balance, and scale? How coherent is polygon distribution? Is there an overreliance on in-game SD meshes? Do the shapes complement the model's theme?/15

Skin
How good is the wrap? Are the textures appealing, or do they look blurry/stretched from the default game camera and portrait? Do the tones go well together? Is there sufficient contrast?/15

Animations
How natural, smooth, and appropriate are the animations? Do they have physical coherence? Do they have character/personality? How well are they executed? Does the model have enough animations to function properly?/15

Effects
Were the particle, ribbon, or mesh effects made in good measure? Do they contribute to the model? Are they impressive?/10

Integration
How well does the model work in-game? Does it feature the necessary attachments, footprints, sounds, and collisions? Are the attachments obscured? Is the model fully selectable? How well does the it fit in the game environment?/10

Creativity
How original is the general idea? How inventive is the execution? How creatively does the model interpret the contest theme?/20
/85

• Judgement: 70%
  • Poll: 30%
FinalScore = (30*Reached_Votes/POSSIBLE_VOTES) + (70*Average_Judge_Score/POSSIBLE_SCORE)​

other_dates_and_deadline-png.311507

The contest shall begin on Aug 22, 2022 and conclude on Nov 21, 2022 GMT (day is included).

other_entries-png.311509

(Last updated 21-11-2022)

CONTESTANTWIPENTRY

-Grendel

WIP 1 | WIP 2 | WIP 3 | WIP 4 | WIP 5

PROXY

WIP 1 | WIP 2 | WIP 3

frostwhisper

WIP 1 | WIP 2 | WIP 3 | WIP 4 | WIP 5

Stefan.K

WIP 1 | WIP 2 | WIP 3

Villagerino

WIP 1 | WIP 2 | WIP 3

Explobomb

WIP 1 | WIP 2

D a w n

WIP 1 | WIP 2

Taylor Mouse

WIP 1 | WIP 2 | WIP 3 | WIP 4

Deolrin

WIP 1 | WIP 2

Vinz

WIP 1 | WIP 2

twilac

WIP 1 WIP 2

Direfury

WIP 1

Assigned Staff: @Archian

The Poll | Results

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
trollmeister, who did you bribe to bring about this contest? :grin:
Now that I'm a Moderator, I can wield absolute power over the unsuspecting masses. ^_^

WIP 1 of chad troll
spent like three hours on this bad boy just to make him decent enough for a mugshot
View attachment 405680
based him on this:
View attachment 405681
will add facial hair next
Oh that's lookin' sick. Man, don't make it hard for me; I was already using Cavman's Dire Troll. xD

Level 48
Just to be clear, edditing an existing model, even if it's an extensive edit, is not allowed, right?
Uhhh, that would be a bummer for like 60% of the people making models here. :p
Of course it should be allowed? It always was allowed...

EDIT: Oh, you meant something you or someone else made rather than Blizzard? That should not be allowed yeah, but editing Warcraft 3 models is traditionally part of those contests!

Last edited:
Level 51
Level 50
Probably my last WIP before I give it animations.
View attachment 406058
Shoulder pads are really good. I like the skirt and ankles stuff. Torso area is too busy, the thing above ‘belt mask’ is unnecessary. also I think it’d be better for her shirt to be colored like skirt and less detailed. Her head seems a bit too round. Belt mask buckle blends with surrounding stuff too much, it doesn’t stand out with no contrast so you could make the inside wood of mask gray/white/yellow instead of making everything wooden. And her hair should be much bigger to have it better stylized.

Side note, why these contests don’t have teamwork allowed? I can’t recall the last time texturing contest was hosted, so there’s no point to have these restrictions in times when contests are getting less and less attention.

Level 49
This entire contest is like a wet dream for me, lol. I'm loving all of those entries. Bit disappointed by all the blue though. :hohum:

I'll see if I can whip something up as well, hopefully.
I was originally going for a forest troll but the neutral troll skins are just too low res for me. not a fan of the armorless orc textures as well. Blademaster's too low res, the orc warlock doesn't have the look i want for this dire troll plus the color doesn't match the head. geoset tinting doesn't solve the problem for me either XD. Its probably just me being too picky at that point lol. i think i'll do some texture swapping before posting my entry to see what fits.

i've started working on animations. here's a spell and a spell slam:

Spell:
gif2.gif

Spell Slam:
gif1.gif

Level 34
I was originally going for a forest troll but the neutral troll skins are just too low res for me. not a fan of the armorless orc textures as well. Blademaster's too low res, the orc warlock doesn't have the look i want for this dire troll plus the color doesn't match the head. geoset tinting doesn't solve the problem for me either XD. Its probably just me being too picky at that point lol. i think i'll do some texture swapping before posting my entry to see what fits.

i've started working on animations. here's a spell and a spell slam:

Spell:
View attachment 406079
Spell Slam:
View attachment 406078
AAHHñommñommmñommmñommmm

Level 50
@-Grendel
You always go an extra mile in terms of finding the right in-game texture. He’s got a lot of character, animations will certainly enhance that aspect even further. Cape looks quite great, so does the face, proportions well stylized. The asymmetrical design is nice.
You could find better textures for braces in terms of color/ shading. The railroad doesn’t work in my opinion and will probably cost you few points in the reviews. I’m not sure why spikes on shoulder pad are partially black. Belt area has too strong contrast in my opinion.

@PROXY
I like the colors. The bones on the back and hands are great.
Shoulder pad is bad in my opinion, I don’t like the wood texture nor the metal shading. Skull on shoulder pad doesn’t look right either. Shape could be bigger and redesign is very much needed there.
Proportions overall are good, but could be even better on the upper body (arms, shoulders). Hair has a lot of potential, the plane setup there could be improved. Head is very good, but lips don’t work. Ankles stuff a bit abstract and busy.

@Taylor Mouse
I’d like to give you an advice in terms of your art direction. This contest will be dominated by models following the vanilla wc3 feel, and in recent times Hive came to discovery that this trend is what an average forum user really, really wants. So, to enhance your chances in this contest keep it simple, the first wip you posted looks very good, but it’s too high poly. I’d suggest you to study and mimic more the in-game troll units in terms of overall feel and proportions. You got a lot of modeling skills, so make sure you take your entry in direction that will be give you best chances in this contest, where wc3 feel is going to be number 1 priority, followed by creativity and animations.

Level 51
@PROXY
I like the colors. The bones on the back and hands are great.
Shoulder pad is bad in my opinion, I don’t like the wood texture nor the metal shading. Skull on shoulder pad doesn’t look right either. Shape could be bigger and redesign is very much needed there.
Proportions overall are good, but could be even better on the upper body (arms, shoulders). Hair has a lot of potential, the plane setup there could be improved. Head is very good, but lips don’t work. Ankles stuff a bit abstract and busy.

Huh, I was wondering where that feedback was aimed, until I realised I put ol' Bwonsamdi up there as well lol. As I said, this was not a WIP for the contest but rather something I played around with before the contest started, lol. Thanks though :)

It feels like some of you guys fall too much into detail considering mesh so that it looks almost HQ, like skeleton skulls that are meant to be heads of a whole model are applied to weapons. They look flashy, yes, but my sensibilities tell me to get closer to vanilla stuff like Murcologist says 🤷🏼‍♂️

Meh; i have not seen anything that might be considered too high poly in this thread yet. Everything seemed pretty fitting to Warcraft III really, so I'm not exactly sure where you all are coming from.

Status
Not open for further replies.