• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Melee Mapping Contest #4 - 2v2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 22
@sentrywiz Don't make boats the only possible way for players to get out of their base. Work with shallow water and clever layouts to make the boats more viable but still have the option for players to not use them at all. And make the middle symmetrical.

Level 24
"As you can find here, hi2chaco has a history of playing wc3, which he had to stop due hand injury:
Content Creator Highlight #2: Hi2Chaco
I agree that someone who has never actually played wc3 should not be a judge, but imho this label doesnt apply to him."

Thank you, that was more like an answer is was looking for.
It still feels iffy to me, but by now you know my stance on it.
At least reconsider next time you do a contest.
If you want to have contest entries eligible for competitive play you probably want pro players to review them.
Exactly because they're picky and choosy.

The thing about the boat map, in can understand why it would win. It looks like a fun map and probably plays very unique, however if you look at the rating criterias.
Balance 50%
Terrain 35%
Creativity 15%

The creativity part is like a small 15%. Balance is a whopping 50%. So to me it seems obvious that the map doesn't fit these criterias. It just seems like personal bias towards the map having a fun gimmick.
Which is not wrong by any means, but your way of rating maps should be more obvious and judges should instead agree on a certain way to rate maps together. In some ways i feel like the rating system is rudamentary and maps should be reviewed by the total sum of its content. Maps can be good in various ways. Either by looking appealing, just being fun even though balance is broken or by having an interesting dynamic.

"I mean, I dont even have a map that is currently being used, my most successful map is Fields of Ruin, which was playing in a few Cups, but now no longer is."
I think this fits the criteria really. I just think it would be wierd to have a scenario with a judge whose melee maps were never played.

Last edited:
Level 29
Hey guys! Just wanted to say that I'm dropping out (personal matters). There was someone in the waiting list. Let him in and remove my name. Thank you!

sad to hear, but well , this kind of things happen, good luck

Not sure what the colored text is all about, but wow way to miss the point.

The contest has prize money. They have lawliet on board as a judge. I wouldn't enter this contest if not for these two reasons. You want to rag on me for taking it seriously, why? Its a contest with prize money, they want serious entries. If they want serious reviewers maybe they should give an incentive. Like money, or just lowering the treshold for reviewing entries. Not every map review has to be the length of a novel. If a map is bad just put it in the bad tier bin. Theres only 3 winners anyway. Should the maker of the map want feedback they can inquire further personally.

I posted my critism public because i'd like to see arguments for having Hi2Chaco on board.
"he has a public profile that confirms his experience"
Thats exactly what he lacks. He's a shoutcaster that doesn't play the game. I'm not sure how i can make it anymore obvious to you how bad that is for this contest.

A boat map wins a melee contest, this is exactly what worries me. If you think boats are fine then, then go play a map that has it and come back to me with your take on it. Boats are bad for all the reasons i've stated above. I almost forgot the most broken ass thing about boats, which is ensnare surround kills every unit inside. How many races have access to ensnare? I count one. In the end you will pick orc or go air. Anything else is just bad.

If you think I miss the point, my apology, english is not my native language, is hard to me to read others ideas and explain my own ideas.

"and judges should instead agree on a certain way to rate maps together."

I understand that in all Hiveworkshop contest, Judges don´t talk between them during the contest, so it would be more objetive, and not that 1 judge bias others judges opinions.

With that, a judge may penalize a lot the aggro, while other may penalize more the gaps in the trees, hipothetically talking.

"In some ways i feel like the rating system is rudamentary and maps should be reviewed by the total sum of its content."

thats the system we used in the 1st , 2nd, and 3rd contest, so far it worked.

there is also points of a public poll but thats mandatory, public polls must be done in Hive contest.
And the 1st contest was money prize plus T shirt of Back to warcraft.

Last edited by a moderator:

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

Original idea was only boats, but I thought frigates & battleships too.
Need to test first, then decide if @Knecht and @Nudl9's criticism is constructive or not.
I have my own worries about the AI, if it can use boats at all.

@Nudl9 - gotta try new ideas. I've not played the map @Ragnaros17 linked
but the mention of it having boats does add a component of warcraft that was
there in the beginning, but didn't transition into WC3. I hope reforged melee has boats. I really do.

Also, money was a surprise to me, and it sounds real nice to be paid to make a map :)
But I don't think anyone here does it for the money.

@Knecht - well, yes there will be a way to traverse in shallow waters but boats will be faster and deadlier.
I don't think boats can pass under bridges. That is another reforged hope.
Yes the middle needs much work. Map is barely 5%

@XanderD - damn nice! Just tried it, works with all shipyards but only undead one has frigates.

Question to judges:
Is undead shipyard ok to be used as neutral passive?

Level 29
Original idea was only boats, but I thought frigates & battleships too.
Need to test first, then decide if @Knecht and @Nudl9's criticism is constructive or not.
I have my own worries about the AI, if it can use boats at all.

@Nudl9 - gotta try new ideas. I've not played the map @Ragnaros17 linked
but the mention of it having boats does add a component of warcraft that was
there in the beginning, but didn't transition into WC3. I hope reforged melee has boats. I really do.

Also, money was a surprise to me, and it sounds real nice to be paid to make a map :)
But I don't think anyone here does it for the money.

@Knecht - well, yes there will be a way to traverse in shallow waters but boats will be faster and deadlier.
I don't think boats can pass under bridges. That is another reforged hope.
Yes the middle needs much work. Map is barely 5%

@XanderD - damn nice! Just tried it, works with all shipyards but only undead one has frigates.

Question to judges:
Is undead shipyard ok to be used as neutral passive?

Undead shipyards are not invulnerable, you can attack it and destroy it, compared to normal shipyard,

I don't think you can place special and campaign units in your map or it will violate the "melee" map flag. So Frigates and battleships is probably not possible.

Is true that it says melee map yes when put an undead shipyard as neutral pasive.
I tested it just now, I don´t know what to say, technically is legal, but as gameplay is just like going outside the melee thing.

I do not recomend it, because of that, because is not invulnerable as neutral building.

Level 29
It removes the "melee map" icon in map selection screen im pretty sure (does not have wc3 installed on thes laptop). Which technically makes it "not legal", by Blizzards definition of melee map anyway.

upload_2019-3-22_16-26-44.png

upload_2019-3-22_16-28-55.png

the melee map yes is still there

edit: my map updated, still a long way to go.
detected some aggro on green creeps while testing. test helps a lot.

Stairs of destiny | HIVE

Level 6
@sentrywiz AI can't use boats. They won't, sadly, ever traverse under bridges due to w3 pathing (unless there are custom triggers). And the boat map that Rag linked was made by me :cgrin: I'd say you can trust my words when it comes to boats in wc3.
The AI won't use Taverns either and only buys Zeppelins from the Goblin Labs - so never use a Shredder or Sappers - and never hire any unit from the mercenary camps either. So that would be a definite issue for every map that has some island(s) only accessible by boat and no Goblin Lab either when playing against the AI. Also there are other things the AI doesn't do like destroying Gates or Rock Chunks which are used on maps like Avalanche to block off gold mines. Or remember the very old map Adrenaline where all players are separated by trees but the AI does not destroy trees intentionally to make a pathway and as a Night Elf not even unintentionally (except with a keeper to summon treants). And so on and so on.
In short there's a lot the AI doesn't do and thus can even sometimes by skillful players be manipulated enough to pull off stunts like winning against 11 insane AI players even though each of them has double income. Not to mention that the AI never plays the current meta... such rebels!

Level 29
The AI won't use Taverns either and only buys Zeppelins from the Goblin Labs - so never use a Shredder or Sappers - and never hire any unit from the mercenary camps either. So that would be a definite issue for every map that has some island(s) only accessible by boat and no Goblin Lab either when playing against the AI. Also there are other things the AI doesn't do like destroying Gates or Rock Chunks which are used on maps like Avalanche to block off gold mines. Or remember the very old map Adrenaline where all players are separated by trees but the AI does not destroy trees intentionally to make a pathway and as a Night Elf not even unintentionally (except with a keeper to summon treants). And so on and so on.
In short there's a lot the AI doesn't do and thus can even sometimes by skillful players be manipulated enough to pull off stunts like winning against 11 insane AI players even though each of them has double income. Not to mention that the AI never plays the current meta... such rebels!

"do like destroying Gates or Rock Chunks which are used on maps like Avalanche to block off gold mines."

I put rock chunks to my goldmines in the 3rd melee contest considering it was nice like starcraft 2 maps, didnt end well....

also in paired goldmines, AI can also steal gold from your goldmine.

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

I don't think you can place special and campaign units in your map or it will violate the "melee" map flag. So Frigates and battleships is probably not possible.

It doesn't violate melee map rules, but the fact it can be destroyed is interesting.
Very interesting in fact, since frigates are only bought from there and once gone
its gone. So ship supremacy might be my map's theme...

@sentrywiz AI can't use boats. They won't, sadly, ever traverse under bridges due to w3 pathing (unless there are custom triggers). And the boat map that Rag linked was made by me :cgrin: I'd say you can trust my words when it comes to boats in wc3.

Oh snap. In that case, I'm gonna use your map as an inspiration, because it looks
really well thought out and executed. I'm sad AI doesn't use them, but like @XanderD says,
AI doesn't do many other things either so it might not be a problem.

@Ragnaros17 AI nightelf/undead can literally bankrupt ally orc/human players sometimes too,
by entangling the gold mine.

Level 6
WIP 2

Dunno how to upload to media library. When I had nothing in there, I could like, go there somehow, but now me just confuzzled. Just used tinypic instead.

209qbf8.png

Tis called "The Consortium"

"A smuggling and trading ring set up in the vast shattered worlds of Outland by the Etherium. One of the few places of civilization remaining in this broken world. Control this, and you will control all trade in Outland!"

That's the concept at least for now. Dunno about tiles n stuff yet n might change n mix up tileset or trees.

Level 29
WIP 2

Dunno how to upload to media library. When I had nothing in there, I could like, go there somehow, but now me just confuzzled. Just used tinypic instead.

209qbf8.png

Tis called "The Consortium"

"A smuggling and trading ring set up in the vast shattered worlds of Outland by the Etherium. One of the few places of civilization remaining in this broken world. Control this, and you will control all trade in Outland!"

That's the concept at least for now. Dunno about tiles n stuff yet n might change n mix up tileset or trees.

already looks great!!, I really like the fire chasm, maybe I will add one in my map, I need to fill a lot of space in the borders.

edit:
upload_2019-3-24_15-16-49.png

I am glad I am not the only one doing an Outland/Black citadel theme map. the floating rocks are the best of that tile-set

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

Here is my WIP #2

Attachments

• gs2.jpg
    gs2.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 139
  • Goblin Shipyards.w3x
    69.1 KB · Views: 107
Level 29
Here is my WIP #2

"i got something new for ya cowboy murauder - the latest word in big badda boom hardware."

then raynor respond quote
"i ain't sure this is the best time to be experamenting swann"

1) Ramps and paths are small to bases. Tower the entrance and thats it like Leonidas in Termopilas.
2) Paths leading to goldmines are small too.

3) Goblin markets? tavern? merc. camps ? goblin labs?, creeps??

-I wouldn´t recommend you a boat map in melee competence since boats are hard to reach the level it had Thawing Snow from Knetch in the first competence. I did a boat map once, but still I would stick to a normal play in melee.

Boat formula is like transform water in oil, Thawing snow was an interesting success, but to pull new balanced formulas maybe is really hard requering a lot of test and fail (well from my 21 maps , only 1 I can call it a success).

Also in terms of terraining, a lot of water (because is just only water) you are loosing both balance and enviroment points (doodads, waterfalls that stuff).

- But probably you will stick to the boat idea till end, so I can only sugest you that you try to keep the boats but make a melee layout (with taverns, merc camps, gobl labs, goblin shops), maybe like this.

Apojii Islands v 1.04

is a very prototype map, unbalanced but it may lead to an interesting boat map develop.

Apojii Islands v 1.04
"it's pretty much experimental at this point but nevertheless can be a prototype for future better maps."

if you are still with the boats idea I can only recommend you that, that you try to design a normal melee map with shallow water and have the boats to go here and there like my map Apojii islands,
still entagle surround will be there, but if you can make all the others things work, it may work a bit.

And I would really discard the undead shipyards because it may end in water artilliery bombardment hardly to counter,
It remembers me RA2 RA3 were the aircraft carriers, rocket launchers ships bugs you a lot from long distances and destroyed your fast.

WC3 was not designed balanced as a water game like WC2 or RA2 and RA3... for water games play RA3 is the best, because you can also have a water base

Imagine melee as being in a small room doing target practicing with 9mm, that undead shipyards shure are fun, but is like a granade, dont want to try it inside that small room.

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

"i got something new for ya cowboy murauder - the latest word in big badda boom hardware."

then raynor respond quote
"i ain't sure this is the best time to be experamenting swann"

"jimmy, what we have here is biggest peashooter in the galaxy" !!
tychus says that as he's casually shooting mutalisks and zerglings

also the train mission, "ol tychus is gonna love this one" and he sure does :D

Wow this length, is it a review?
I'm kidding, thank you for your long elaboration on the matter.
Just to say, this is just WIP. Map has a long way to go, and there's a shit ton of time.

Ra2 had a very fun water game. If you know Ra2 (Ra3 is trash imo) have you played Ra1?
If yes, destroyers and especially cruisers were... one or two and that's it, you win.

1) Ramps and paths are small to bases. Tower the entrance and thats it like Leonidas in Termopilas.
2) Paths leading to goldmines are small too.

3) Goblin markets? tavern? merc. camps ? goblin labs?, creeps??

1. Ok thanks, I thought they weren't big enough, I'll enlarge them.
2. As above.
3. Those are gonna be "secondary" in the map. The units in the map now are ones
I consider most important as a baseline, including 2 shipyards per player.
I'm completely fine with the imbalance, if you can pull it off.
But I'm only at the beginning, haven't tested much.

-I wouldn´t recommend you a boat map in melee competence since boats are hard to reach the level it had Thawing Snow from Knetch in the first competence. I did a boat map once, but still I would stick to a normal play in melee.

Boat formula is like transform water in oil, Thawing snow was an interesting success, but to pull new balanced formulas maybe is really hard requering a lot of test and fail (well from my 21 maps , only 1 I can call it a success).

Also in terms of terraining, a lot of water (because is just only water) you are loosing both balance and enviroment points (doodads, waterfalls that stuff).

- But probably you will stick to the boat idea till end, so I can only sugest you that you try to keep the boats but make a melee layout (with taverns, merc camps, gobl labs, goblin shops), maybe like this.

In knecht's map I believe boats are used as a novelty, since there's an island that can be reached.
Mechanically-wise, it only adds to the melee without changing it much.

Your analogy to oil and water ... doesn't mix well :D

Map is nowhere near done, I'm aware there's nothing to conquer, no islands.
By my plan, I want to make small "creep" islands and places to get extra lumber.
As you will see, lumber will be a "priority" resource as well if you plan to go naval.

- But probably you will stick to the boat idea till end,

You know me so well.

Apojii Islands v 1.04

is a very prototype map, unbalanced but it may lead to an interesting boat map develop.

Apojii Islands v 1.04
"it's pretty much experimental at this point but nevertheless can be a prototype for future better maps."

if you are still with the boats idea I can only recommend you that, that you try to design a normal melee map with shallow water and have the boats to go here and there like my map Apojii islands,
still entagle surround will be there, but if you can make all the others things work, it may work a bit.

Sounds fun, will play it, maybe even now.

It will be like that, but I think the undead shipyards will enhance the gameplay.
Since my opinion is biased, and I would of like to see water in melee, as in WC2.

And yes, once the islands have been created and polished, I will add shallow water.
But like I said before, naval will be a way faster and deadlier way than massing an army with a hero
instead of a few ambush parties and an armada of gunships. Its a tactic?!

And I would really discard the undead shipyards because it may end in water artilliery bombardment hardly to counter,
It remembers me RA2 RA3 were the aircraft carriers, rocket launchers ships bugs you a lot from long distances and destroyed your fast.

WC3 was not designed balanced as a water game like WC2 or RA2 and RA3... for water games play RA3 is the best, because you can also have a water base

Imagine melee as being in a small room doing target practicing with 9mm, that undead shipyards shure are fun, but is like a granade, dont want to try it inside that small room.

First of all, shipyards aren't invulnerable. I'm fine with the idea of players going and destroying them.
But imagine if you could control them? And you still have air units, heroes and normal units.
Sure, massing gunships will be a high risk, high reward tactic. But investments like those in-game
either make or break your game. So in a way, it will be an optional thing. They will be heavily guarded

I know its not balanced for water game. But you have only two ships, the raft and frigate.
One of which you can only obtain after taking a ship from the goblin shipyard, which will also be
heavily guarded.

Your 9mm analogy also doesn't fly :D bullets don't bounce.. but idk, I don't own a gun.

Map can be more playable when you connect shallow water in the center and make huge piece of land there. For sure there should be Goblin laboratory as well in the map.

Solid idea, especially about a central island. Also goblin lab would be great there true.

Level 6
"jimmy, what we have here is biggest peashooter in the galaxy" !!
"doesn't take a telepath to know what you're thinkin'"
- Sarah Kerrigan

It will be like that, but I think the undead shipyards will enhance the gameplay.
Since my opinion is biased, and I would of like to see water in melee, as in WC2.
It would be pretty, but in every map where you can also have air units, they will be superior - and can be produced more reliably.

But another thing for a water-heavy map: There are some creeps that have amphibious movement like the Mur'gul Snarecaster or the Giant Sea Turtle - both of which are sold in the Sunken Ruins Mercenary Camp. Plus there's always the option with runes of rebirth.

First of all, shipyards aren't invulnerable.
The undead shipyards are not, the goblin shipyards are. So transports could be available throughout the entire game.

Your 9mm analogy also doesn't fly :D bullets don't bounce.. but idk, I don't own a gun.
9mm rounds can bounce quite nicely - people who carry guns in their jobs are even taught how to abuse this like where to aim on the asphalt to hit someone who is crouching behind the engine block of a car.

Overall I too don't think your the boat-concept would work out for a competitive melee map. If at all then perhaps only when there's no goblin lab and thus at least transports have to be bought to get everywhere. If there's no place on the map only reachable by naval transport, these shipyards would just end up as doodads. There were also some maps with shipyards in the last contest and you could watch WTii's review video on youtube to hear what he said about that.

Level 29
My entry:

The Consortium

May not be final yet. Playtesting to be done n prolly small changes.

first submition!! gonna see it later

As I see you guys are really active so I start to move also.

WIP
Westfall Renewal
ekx2upq.png

Sentinel Hill, defias Brotherhood, deadmines,

https://www.hiveworkshop.com/attachments/4-stairs-of-destiny-w3x.319301/
almost done the borders, and re-thinking the sleep of the creeps.

Public Statement: Black citadel / Outland creeps such as succubi, draenei, fell guards, infernal machines, eredar mages, void walkers, dont sleep.
fell beast sleeps but L5 and L7 have mana burn and devour magic.
black citadel creeps they are very hard to balance when you need creeps that sleep or safe ranged units.
End of transmision.

Level 29
And first basic idea... 1/4 of map

camara limits breaks inmersion, the map should be designed in such way that you dont see the camara limits wich ends in black line,
if you dont understand my point read Melee Mapping contest #3 - Results
the reviews of the 3rd contest, about the camara limits, if you dont know how to fix it, see my map or @Keito map, in Keito map cliff and void , dont allow you to reach the camara limits with land units. You can fix it with cliff or deep water.

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

It would be pretty, but in every map where you can also have air units, they will be superior - and can be produced more reliably.

But another thing for a water-heavy map: There are some creeps that have amphibious movement like the Mur'gul Snarecaster or the Giant Sea Turtle - both of which are sold in the Sunken Ruins Mercenary Camp. Plus there's always the option with runes of rebirth.

Frigates attack air too. Has been that way since WC2.
Air is gonna have a big disadvantage in the map, since the above is true and:
8 shipyards, 3 frigates per sell, at 250 gold and 100 lumber.
if you just own 2, you make 6 frigates for 1500 gold and 600 lumber instantly.
shipyards restore 1 frigate per 1 minute.

Giant sea turtles sound interesting too, good call.

The undead shipyards are not, the goblin shipyards are. So transports could be available throughout the entire game.

The transport ships are intended to be available all game.

9mm rounds can bounce quite nicely - people who carry guns in their jobs are even taught how to abuse this like where to aim on the asphalt to hit someone who is crouching behind the engine block of a car.

That's new to me, didn't know that some bullets bounce. Like I said, I don't own nor have interest in real guns.

Overall I too don't think your the boat-concept would work out for a competitive melee map. If at all then perhaps only when there's no goblin lab and thus at least transports have to be bought to get everywhere. If there's no place on the map only reachable by naval transport, these shipyards would just end up as doodads. There were also some maps with shipyards in the last contest and you could watch WTii's review video on youtube to hear what he said about that.

I don't think it will work either, in the way WC3 is now. Which is why the plan was to allow multiple shipyard
access at the cost of resources. Its because the shipyard is vulnerable is what put the nail in the coffin for me.
Since once they are gone, they're gone makes it playable. That's why I think I should go for it, even if you
and others say otherwise.

"doesn't take a telepath to know what you're thinkin'"
- Sarah Kerrigan

"tychus, what have you done?"
I made a deal with the devil jimmy.

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

Sorry for double posting, but since its a WIP #3 and I really need this checked by the judges.
You can see the images the editor says melee map: yes. So if no rules have been broken
with this following update, I'd like to make this my final WIP.

Changes:

1. Creeps and towers have been added, all under neutral hostile.
Side creeps have been added, bandits and sappers.

gs3.jpg

2. Paths have been made between gold mine isles blocked with a short layer of lumber.

for ally islands, this will allow you and your ally mutual control and benefit of the shipyards.
for enemy islands, this means you can be ambushed from that side.

gs3-path.jpg

3. The paths lead towards a bridge that connects you to the undead shipyard islands.
They are well guarded, but there is an alternate path...

gs3-bridge.jpg

4. Added side ways into the main base, naval only and blocked by lumber.
Both sides have creeps, one side has a shop/merc.

gs3-isles.jpg

Map has been tested once with AI, but it doesn't perform well... yet.
Its fun no doubt :)

Attachments

• Goblin Shipyards.w3x
    90.8 KB · Views: 81
Level 29
Sorry for double posting, but since its a WIP #3 and I really need this checked by the judges.
You can see the images the editor says melee map: yes. So if no rules have been broken

Changes:

View attachment 319344

2. Paths have been made between gold mine isles blocked with a short layer of lumber.

for ally islands, this will allow you and your ally mutual control and benefit of the shipyards.

View attachment 319348

3. The paths lead towards a bridge that connects you to the undead shipyard islands.

View attachment 319345

View attachment 319347

One thing is the melee map yes stated in the editor.
And other thing is the melee status used in Hiveworkshop maps.
It seems the melee map yes is not good enough to restrain the concept of melee, after all is just a machine telling us what melee is instead of defining it ourself.

I remember that I was not allowed to upload melee maps using racial units as neutral units (I used a hero as neutral hostile).

So if your map where submited here in the Hive. I think at this point it may be considered as an altered melee.

The Shipyards are ok they are melee units, but the undead shipyard and the human towers are racial units,

the undead shipyard and the war boats are not melee units, they are campaing units, a definition of melee could be that only melee units can be used, not campaing ones wich were created for the campaing of ROC and TFT, Is like Raynor or Tychus of SC2, you cant use them in melee.

I am starting to think that if an undead shipyard is allowed, then a Human shop as neutral pasive could be allowed,

There is a rule that says "No custom units",
that rule can be considered in many wide ways, like only melee units, or custom units also include the campaing units, or that they are allowed,
there is a void in the rule itself. For the future I would change the rule "no custom units" for "only melee units can be used".

@mafe

"All submissions must follow the current theme. If any submission does not fit, a moderator will tell you as soon as possible as to avoid confusion."

1) Campaign units are allowed in melee?
2) Racial units are allowed as neutral hostile or neutral pasive in melee?
3) neutral pasive units (sapper) are allowed as neutral hostiles?

If you ask me , I would say 1) no, 2) no, 3) no, but my voice has no authority in the present situation.

I agree that is needed to ask. if @sentrywiz submition is following the current theme, because I can´t tell anymore if is or not melee, the editor may say yes, but my mind whispers says:" mmm no".

edit:
Yes, as long as it says "melee map: yes", the map is technically eligible to enter the contest.

mafe

Map Reviewer
Level 24

Changes:

View attachment 319344

View attachment 319348

View attachment 319345

View attachment 319347

Yes, as long as it says "melee map: yes", the map is technically eligible to enter the contest.

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

I'm happy about that, and I do intend to polish it up with the rest of the time
so it doesn't feel awkward and imbalanced.

I might change the name of the map if that's okay too, because Vent.Co faction from WoW was an
inspiration for the whole shipyard piratey theme, also for the creep choices. I'm not sure on a new name
yet, but I do have to use Vent.Co somewhere in the map, either name or description because I feel that
would add to the map theme.

The Shipyards are ok they are melee units, but the undead shipyard and the human towers are racial units,

the undead shipyard and the war boats are not melee units, they are campaing units, a definition of melee could be that only melee units can be used, not campaing ones wich were created for the campaing of ROC and TFT, Is like Raynor or Tychus of SC2, you cant use them in melee.

I am starting to think that if an undead shipyard is allowed, then a Human shop as neutral pasive could be allowed,

Undead shipyard though, and other shipyards, don't train units in a normal way though,
they are more like merc camps. You could add a human shop as neutral passive too,
but it wouldn't be invulnerable.

I think if people can find a unique way to enrich the melee with neutral hostile or neutral passive
versions of "standard melee" or campaign units, better. Because its all vanilla assets, no custom units,
no triggers. But only making only the standard melee maps in the same way, over and over? Isn't that bit boring?

Level 29
I'm happy about that, and I do intend to polish it up with the rest of the time
so it doesn't feel awkward and imbalanced.

I might change the name of the map if that's okay too, because Vent.Co faction from WoW was an
inspiration for the whole shipyard piratey theme, also for the creep choices. I'm not sure on a new name
yet, but I do have to use Vent.Co somewhere in the map, either name or description because I feel that
would add to the map theme.

Undead shipyard though, and other shipyards, don't train units in a normal way though,
they are more like merc camps. You could add a human shop as neutral passive too,
but it wouldn't be invulnerable.

I think if people can find a unique way to enrich the melee with neutral hostile or neutral passive
versions of "standard melee" or campaign units, better. Because its all vanilla assets, no custom units,
no triggers. But only making only the standard melee maps in the same way, over and over? Isn't that bit boring?

I cancelled my previous text after mafe statement. I recant what I wrote.

upload_2019-3-27_8-48-15.png

Level 29
its not the final version so why should i upload it here. there still a month to go so i will upload it here when its done

was just for a quick look for the other participants

ah ok, probably @deepstrasz , and myself minded that was your entry.

you can upload it here and update it later as @Keito is doing with her entry (I see no reason to upload to epic war) .

Level 4
Ok guys, I'm very late on my contribution compare to you, but I see there is still plenty of time so I'll just post the current WIP to show that I haven't completely disappeared :

I'm working on a map I call 'VeilSwamp'. The overall idea will be to use the felwood theme to create a mangrove-like map with a lot of little islands which are the points of interest (mines,neutral buildings, etc) and where the walkable water between them draw the biggest paths around the map. The map will be populated with a lot of demonic/corrupted/undead creeps along with a lot of different wizards. The background theme will be that these islands are a weak point in the Veil that separates the realms of the livings and the deads and that it is therefore, the stronghold of strong necromancers. To emphasize this point, I'll try to make every creep camp drop a rune of rebirth of one of the smaller creeps !
VeilSwamp-minimap-V0.png

You can find the left-half of the minimap above. The map will be mirrored in the end so I'll never show any hint of the right side until the final version^^'.
Because I like to make things complicated, I've also decided that one of the players of each team will be closer to the opponents than the other, and that the easiest goldmines will be towards the opponents. The map's top and bottom side are also different, which will allow, I hope, a little more thinking and adaptation from the players.
The creepcamps on the minimap are not to be taken into account, as they are here for my current balancing process and nothing more.
I've decided to put a Felwood mercenary camp, one lab et one shop on every side of the map and a heavily guarded central island where you will be able to find three unique neutral buildings : a manafountain, a marketplace and a mercenarycamp from another location (I'm thinking about Catacombs, to mimic the idea of a place where summoning demons/undeads is easy...).

As you can see, the real screenshot is even less appealing than the minimap... ANYWAYS, it's gonna be a difficult thing to balance the rune of rebirths with the item drops, to create a murky/muddy/swampy ambiance and to get everything in order, but I'm working on it and I'm open for feedback !
VeilSwamp-V0.png

Level 6
So... I took a bit of time off from map making and instead took a look at some 2v2 maps that are currently in use. The first 11 in the following table are from the ladder map pool, the bottom 6 were the maps used in the 2v2 Ugri Challenge in February. Some of the creators of these maps are also participating in this contest!
About my method: I wanted to see which tilesets are used most frequently (Lordaeron Winter #1) and by implication which are missing (quite a lot actually). I also wanted to see how many creeps, creep camps and what average creep levels per camp are commonly used, how big the maps are, how many expansion gold mines and how much gold there is. What I don't want to say with this is, that every map created in this contest has to be as close to the average as possible or that you have to stay within the limits of these maps. Every map needs something unique in my opinion. But perhaps some of you will find this interesting.

map nametilesetlongitudinallatitudinalsizegreenorangeredcreepstotal creep levelslevels per campexpansionsgold
Avalanche LVLordaeron Winter9696921681006820611.444496000
Bridge too near LVLordaeron Winter11611613456820010834412.2868130000
Centaur GroveBarrens120120144001210410432012.3086125000
Furbolg MountainLordaeron Winter108104112321016210235012.5006125000
Gnoll WoodLordaeron Summer1281281638410938226011.8185165000
Lost TempleIcecrown Glacier124124153768858429013.8108150000
Phantom Grove LVLordaeron Fall11611613456816411837813.5008150000
SynergyLordaeron Winter (+)1161101276081429233814.0832100000
Tidewater Glades LVAshenvale11611613456814210830812.8334100000
Turtle RockLordaeron Summer1041041081641227224413.5566130000
Twisted MeadowsLordaeron Summer12412415376416410035614.8338140000
Cozy SandsBarrens126126158762024016449611.2738154000
Hellfire PlateauOutland140144201601220414444812.4448138000
Ruins of AlteracLordaeron Winter144144207362424523277414.60412204000
Sanctuary of SargerasSunken Ruins122130158601214210232211.5004100000
Sherbrooke HillsLordaeron Winter1121121254481228627812.636486000
Southfury RiverLordaeron Summer1161161345641608228914.4504100000
A V E R A G E 119.294119.41214385.8829.88215.0002.412108.706353.00012.9346.059129000

Level 29
So... I took a bit of time off from map making and instead took a look at some 2v2 maps that are currently in use. The first 11 in the following table are from the ladder map pool, the bottom 6 were the maps used in the 2v2 Ugri Challenge in February. Some of the creators of these maps are also participating in this contest!
About my method: I wanted to see which tilesets are used most frequently (Lordaeron Winter #1) and by implication which are missing (quite a lot actually). I also wanted to see how many creeps, creep camps and what average creep levels per camp are commonly used, how big the maps are, how many expansion gold mines and how much gold there is. What I don't want to say with this is, that every map created in this contest has to be as close to the average as possible or that you have to stay within the limits of these maps. Every map needs something unique in my opinion. But perhaps some of you will find this interesting.
[/SPOILER]

thanks!!, for the moment, it was very helpfull to me the tile-set info, and the red creep amount info.

Deleted member 238589

D

Deleted member 238589

Unfortunately, I'll be able to start mid April. I have some exams soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.