1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The poll for Hive's 12th Concept Art Contest is up! Go cast your vote for your favourite genie!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The raddest synthwave tracks were chosen - Check out our Music Contest #12 - Results and congratulate the winners!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Melee Mapping Contest #3 - Results

Discussion in 'Contest Archive' started by Mr.Henci, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Mr.Henci

Mr.Henci

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

MELEE MAPPING CONTEST #3 - RESULTS

Create a 4v4 melee map that excels in balance, terrain, dynamic, and creativity, while beeing suitable for the Warcraft III Reforged.

[​IMG]
    • 1st place: 30 reputation points
    • 2nd place: 20 reputation points
    • 3rd place: 10 reputation points
    • Judges: 5 rep

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Participant Entry Wtii Score W3Sour Score Poll Malus Final Score
    1. @JaleVeliki Nerubian Passage 80 89 15 0 74,9170
    2. @Arrr Northmarsh Ruin v1.1 90 77 12 0 72,6536
    3. @mafe Northern Felwood 63 93 18 0 71,1804
    4. @XanderD Golden Oases 68 70 13 0 61,5414
    5. @Restor Desert Mirage 66 70 4 0 57,1512
    6. @Ragnaros17 Frostfloe Deep 51 68 11 0 52,9658
    7. @Rockstar356 Cold Butterfly 45 70 12 0 51,8536
    8. @Loner-Magixxar Arctic Dream 43 73 10 0 51,2780
    9. @Knecht Legion's Demise 37 76 11 0 50,5658
    10. @DuckDuckGoose Taken City 61 57 5 0 49,6390
    11. @Khaldaiel Scar of Northrend 52 60 8 0 48,7024
    12. @mmtt Frozen Peak 48 71 8 -5 46,5024
    13. @Ascrelle Treacherous Waters 26 63 7 0 39,0146
    14. @fostaa Burning Steppes 31 45 9 0 34,7902
    11. @sentrywiz Underground Fortress (8) 17 20 4 0 16,7512

Final score = [(j1 + j2)/200]*80 + (p1/pT)*20
    j1 = @WTii ; j2 = @W3Sour ; p1 = Poll Score ; pT = No. of users who voted

• 80% of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
    • 20% of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.
    Click here to dowload a PDF file.

Click here to dowload a PDF file.

First Place
    Nerubian Passage by

JaleVeliki

Second Place
    Northmarsh Ruin by

Arrr

Third Place
    Northern Felwood by

mafe

Contest thread | Poll thread
    You can download all the contest entries in the ZIP file here.

Assigned Moderator: @Naze

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
  2. Mythic

Mythic

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Congratulations, everyone! Looks like it was a repeat for the winner. :)

3. W3Sour

W3Sour

Resources:
    Resources:
    Unfortunately it was too late to send my revised version, but I have made
    slight adjustments to some scores and ranks of some of the maps.
    I also forgot to include the introductory paragraph for Frozen Peak. Also fixed score number errors.

Here is my updated review:

W3Sour 4v4 Map Reviews.pdf

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  4. Loner-Magixxar

Loner-Magixxar

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Congrats to the winners. Their maps were definitely much superior than mine. To be honest, I wasn't happy with my creation at all :D
    It was an unfun and excruciating experience making that map. I realized melee mapping does not match my skillset and mindset. It is not for me apparently. That's why I tried to quit in the middle of the contest. But again, It feels good to make something, no matter how bad or good it is (Thogh not always, especially when it turns out far on the bad side :D)

Anyways, enough rambling!
    Seems like my map had a small loot-wise mistake in it. I should go fix it now.

PS: Thanks to the judges who spent a lot of time reviewing 15 melee maps.

5. Naze

Naze

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Congratulations for the winners and everyone involved!

Participants, judges W3Sour and WTii, and also Mr.Henci for being the host and doing the "paperwork" stuff.

@W3Sour thanks for the judge review! However the results have already been published and we can't include this new updated judging of yours =P

6. W3Sour

W3Sour

Resources:
    Resources:
    Yeah I know. it's for the participants, and for peace of mind

7. XanderD

XanderD

Resources:
    Resources:
    Thanks again to everyone who participated in any way in this contest, be it with a map, as a judge, as a host (Mr. Henci) or by voting in the poll! Let's see if we can get some of these maps up on the ladder pool. Also the next contest is already in discussion ( Next Melee Mapping contest Pre-disscusion ).

8. JaleVeliki

JaleVeliki

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Congratulations everyone, another great contest and hopefully many more to come! :)

Many thanks to organizers and moderators Naze and Mr.Henci, judges W3Sour and Wtii, as well as other mapmakers and the Hive community! :)

9. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Could we not have Judge #1 and Judge #2 in the table and have their usernames instead? Even the poll is public so...

10. Ragnaros17

Ragnaros17

Resources:
    Resources:
    thanks to the judges, congrats and thanks to the participants.

Congratulations for @JaleVeliki and @Arrr for get first and second place.... again.
    Melee Mapping Contest #2 - Results

ROAR!!! , we have to put more efort and defeat those guys in the 4th contest, can´t allow them to sit in the 1st and 2nd place for ever. (Just kidding)

it was a really hard contest, a lot of solid maps, and also a lot bugs, is nice way of learning a lot of things.

It was really fun

11. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Also, would be better instead of contestant usernames, to have map names (with links to them) because people voted the maps not the users.

12. Khaldaiel

Khaldaiel

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Thanks a lot to everyone for their time and making this contest possible !

Thanks for the detailed review and the comments, I'm eager to try again in the next contest and to do better !

13. mmtt

mmtt

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Congratulations to everyone who participated.

I used this editor for like 9 years and this was my first melee map.
    Looking forward next contest, now that i have some idea of what i am actually doing, i am going for a rematch.

Also W3Sour in your review you said "as I think a map like this also deserves some marketplace fun." but i have 2 marketplace's you want me to add more?

Any way i updated my map Frozen Peak if is anyone interested, fixed some things.
    Meanwhile i will be working on my undead campaign, will update you when i get something done.

14. DuckDuckGoose

DuckDuckGoose

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Congratulations to the winners!!! Had a blast doing my map as well as testing everyone's map.

Thank you reviewers for taking the time to review all the maps.

15. DuckDuckGoose

DuckDuckGoose

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Found a small mistake in W3Sour review: in the summary at the beginning my map Taken City is given a score of 55 due to a -2 bug but in the actual review below I have a score of 57 due to there being no bugs reported

16. Mr.Henci

Mr.Henci

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    @DuckDuckGoose yeah, it seems so. Sadly, even when taking 57 into consideration, you wouldn't move from the current ranking, as your score would jump from 48,8390 to 49,6390. Will change the numbers once the @W3Sour says, which one is corect. Hope you find enough feedback for your map, would love to see mappers actually implementing some of the proposed changes into their maps.

Congrats to everyone! Really glad we had so many entries, many of the beeing top-notch maps, Blizz sure does have enough options to choose from. Thanks everyone, namly judges @WTii and @W3Sour , our lovely mod @Naze who is helping us get this things rolling, as well as @mafe who helped me with spreading the word and general organizing. Hope to see you all creating something for the next one as well. Keep on mapping!

17. JaleVeliki

JaleVeliki

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Would be cool to see updates; judges themselves have said it as well - lots of maps can have great potential after couple (small) changes.
    I'm actually frequently updating my maps with improvements and will be pumping out new maps regardless of contest(s), so be sure to stay tuned! :)

18. You know I take pride in being the anti-hero of the contest. #blacksheepwall :D

@W3Sour - hey thanks for your fun way of expressing both the good and bad of the map. Enjoyed reading it.
    Sharing my favorite parts with everyone else:

Creativity/Uniqueness: The map is almost too unique that it hurts. Yes, it shows great creativity in trying incorporate RPG dungeons and dragons elements into a Warcraft 3 map, but the execution is not there at all. 9/15

Balance: Does not work in any shape or form. Way too chaotic and cluttered and the item drops/creeps are severely imbalanced. 1/50

@WTii - Loved your review of the map.

1/10 Creep camps, and Item drops? = This is the craziest item drop list i've ever seen, so chaotic & the creeps themselves are bonkers!

2/15 Map visually pleasing in mediums of terrain, doodad placement, and overall theme? = This is the best RPG map i've ever seen, all joking aside, I'm perplexed at the overly complicated design... such utter chaos!

1/10 Aesthetic well designed but not overly obstructive? = If the map didn't have green colours I'd rate it even lower... even then the green is quite sickly.

2/10 Does the map allow the 4 races to be balanced? = Air, Air, Air! This is an absolute nightmare for ground armies

I just wanna say to both reviewers about the alliances and not spawning around team mates.
    I had alliances sorted out into two teams, but then the editor told me my map wasn't melee anymore.
    So that's why I removed the alliances. Each player can set their team to some team number, play 4v4
    that way OR play FFA. I thought it was beneficial that a map can be both FFA or Team vs Team.

I dare anyone to gather 7 friends and play this to win!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2019
  19. mmtt

mmtt

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    aliances are not for melee maps use ally priorities for that

20. DuckDuckGoose

DuckDuckGoose

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    The score thing is fine its just if there is a bug in my map I want to fix it.

The feedback is great, I even have already done some of the recommended changes and I will try to make the rest when I have the time.