1. The long-awaited results for Concept Art Contest #11 have finally been released!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The mythological era has spawned some interesting characters around. Check them out and be sure to vote for them in the 30th Poll of the Texturing Contest.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The 20th iteration of the Terraining Contest is upon us! Join and create exquisite Water Structures for it.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Hivers united and created a bunch of 2v2 melee maps. Vote for the best in our Melee Mapping Contest #4 - Poll!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Melee Mapping contest #3 - Poll

Discussion in 'Poll Depository' started by Mr.Henci, Jan 14, 2019.

?

Cast your vote up to 5 entries: (READ THE RULES below before voting)

Poll closed Jan 29, 2019.
  1. Legion's Demise - by Knecht

26.8%
  2. Northern Felwood - by mafe

43.9%
  3. Nerubian Passage - by JaleVeliki

36.6%
  4. Cold Butterfly - by Rockstar356

29.3%
  5. Frostfloe Deep - by Ragnaros17

26.8%
  6. Scar of Northrend - by Khaldaiel

19.5%
  7. Burning Steppes - by fostaa

22.0%
  8. Treacherous Waters - by Ascrelle

17.1%
  9. Frozen Peak - by mmtt

19.5%
  10. Arctic Dream - by Loner-Magixxar

24.4%
  11. Underground Fortress (8) - by sentrywiz

9.8%
  12. Golden Oases - by XanderD

31.7%
  13. Taken City - by DuckDuckGoose

12.2%
  14. Desert Mirage - by Restor

9.8%
  15. Northmarsh Ruin v1.1 - by Arrr

29.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    @sentrywiz gone on your profile to avoid more off-topic.

2. DuckDuckGoose

DuckDuckGoose

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I would like to thank whoever voted for my map, with it, I have achieved my goal of getting at least 1 vote. I can die happily now.

I have continued to work on it to make it more interesting cause I felt it lacked good terraining.

Obviously I would also love it if people could send me what they liked but more importantly what they disliked so I can improve the second version.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  3. Ragnaros17

Ragnaros17

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    About voting, since from 14 maps I can only vote 5.
    And there is stated the judging score 50% balance, 35 enviroment, 15% creativity, so I try to vote considering those values.
    When I did my list of comments I was focusing in balance , enviroment and creativity (or try, is hard to point or define creativity).
    (I did a list 3 times, because the second list was different than the first, but the third was equal to the second)
    First list I made it considering bugs only.
    Second list I made it considering bugs and good points.
    Third list I did it with Restor method.
    Still my vote is very subjetive, I can´t proper say if things like problems in the center of the map are more or less important than problems in lateral goldmines (as example).

My top 7 maps are in alphabetic order:

Arrr, Ascrelle, Jaleveliki, Knetch, Loner-Magixxar, mafe and Rockstar356

I decided to vote (alphabetic order):

Ascrelle, Knetch, Loner-Magixxar, mafe, Rockstar356.

I had to chosee by an inch.
    But I want to say that Jaleveliki and Arrr maps are also great, a pity that to vote 5 I had to exclude the others two.

Overall all maps have a lot work

Really hard to decide a top 5.

it was a fun contest, good luck.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  4. Restor

Restor

Resources:
    Resources:
    Well, does somebody know what the next melee contest theme will be about?

2v2 or what? I would like to make some 2v2 map

5. Ragnaros17

Ragnaros17

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    is a bit soon to talk for another melee contest, I mean lets wait the result of the poll, the results of the judges, cheers the winners, maybe some weeks of relax, and later say hey, one months since last melee contest someone wants another? and then create some polls..

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  6. Knecht

Knecht

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    @Restor I know a strict deadline in form of a contest keeps people mapping but you can still create maps on your own without the need of competition. Or you can just try and play with the editor, I usually use the time in between contests to look for obscure stuff that could be used in melee, study it and think of its uses (be it gameplay elements or just visuals). That is when I have the spare time for it :cgrin:

7. W3Sour

W3Sour

Resources:
    Resources:
  8. Restor

Restor

Resources:
    Resources:
    @Knecht yes but deadline is my biggest motivation

9. Mr.Henci

Mr.Henci

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    @W3Sour hey that's really neat. I will read it tonight :)

@sentrywiz ,@deepstrasz the problem with a public poll in the melee mapping contest is, that many, if not most of the people judge based on the pictures of the map, which isn't bad, but I wouldn't call appropriate for melee maps. Thus often, maps with more eye candy win the poll by a landslide.

10. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Yeah, they're confusing terrain contests with map contests.

11. sentrywiz

sentrywiz

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Isn't that like for everything? Its why the ad industry has skyrocketed and is now one of THE most
    important things for anything. Because its science and psychology to manipulate people's views in order
    to get them to pick your product. Same could apply here, there might not be a product to sell,
    but people are competitive for peanuts if they get into it :D

EDIT:

Just read the link, love the positive comments and things the reviewer I guess left for all the maps.
    Overall they seem happy to be playing the maps, which is the best thing any mapper could hope for.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
  12. Khaldaiel

Khaldaiel

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Hello guys !

I'm glad this contest finally gave me the motivation to finish a map ^^'. I've seen all the maps in the pool and there is a lot of work in them, they are very cool and I'm glad to see that warcraft3 and mapping in general is still healthy :D

As @Ragnaros17 did, and because i love talking about very SUBJECTIVE things, and I'll post here a gathering of the 3 most positive points I found on every map. I'll try to focus on balance, except for maps I found exceptionnaly beautiful or original, even if they are all generally-speaking good-looking (because I don't want to repeat myself too much on the commentaries...). I tried to use an excel sheet too with notes for various points of interest respecting the global notation given in the rules... but that's so hard to do in a balanced way... I now know how hard it can be for litterature teachers to evaluate the students :eek:

ANYWAYS, for those who are looking for feedback :

- The map layout groups the allies together and foster common defenses and precise directions of action, I like that the two clear directions you have to go (North and South) lead towards the opponents.
    - The creep camps composition is good, with no abusive creep-combo, recognizable themes and appropriate spreading.
    - The presence of the shipyards and the layout emphasizing on boat usage is very interesting

- Love the overall map layout ! It gives a lot of different options and rewards all over the map
    - Generally speaking, I find the item drops to be very good and well proportionated to the different scales of creep camps
    - Special mention for the doodads placement and the little pieces of landscape scattered everywhere that are just very cute :D

- Love the overall map layout ! It gives a lot of different options and rewards all over the map
    - The creep camps composition is good, with no abusive creep-combo, recognizable themes and appropriate spreading.
    - I like the general theme, the volcano and the lava rivers that give to the map a very good theme and a unique feeling

- Very wide, readable and clear map layout that allow for maneuvering of very big armies.
    - Generally speaking, I find the item drops to be very good and well proportionated to the different scales of creep camps
    - Special mention for this map shape, which is awesome !

- Classical and balanced map layout for ffa and teamplay !
    - Special mention for the doodads placement and the little pieces of landscape scattered everywhere that are just very cute :D

- Bases are defendable individually (because of their shape) and collectively (because they are close to the teammate's bases), which is very good
    - Like the idea of a few walled of creep camps and the waygate usage that allow lateral movement on a map that strongly emphasize on vertical movement (towards the ennemy)

- I really love the waygate usage here, making the team closer to each other without limiting the possibilities of the map
    - Generally speaking, I find the item drops to be appropriate for the different scales of creep camps
    - I like the highground usage on the map, for defender's advantage on the bases and for vision modifier around some neutral buildings

- The creep camps composition is very good, with no abusive creep-combo and recognizable themes.
    - Generally speaking, I find the item drops to be good and well proportionated to the different scales of creep camps. I also like the watcher wards for the fountains, i find it extremely interesting !

- Very wide, readable and clear map layout that allow for maneuvering of very big armies.
    - Generally speaking, I find the item drops to be good and well proportionated to the different scales of creep camps.
    - I like the usage of the Felwood tileset, especially the water presence all around the map that gives that 'swamp' feeling and points of interest that do not impact the playability of the map

- Very wide, readable and clear map layout that allow for maneuvering of very big armies. There is also a lot of different options and rewards all over the map
    - The creep camps composition is excellent with no abusive creep-combo and recognizable themes.
    - Generally speaking, I find the item drops to be perfect and well proportionated to the different scales of creep camps.

- Love the overall map layout ! It gives a lot of different options and rewards all over the map. The base positioning is also extremely cool and advocates for common base defense.
    - Generally speaking, I find the item drops to be good and well proportionated to the different scales of creep camps.

- Very wide, readable and clear map layout that allow for maneuvering of very big armies. There is also a lot of different options and rewards all over the map
    - Generally speaking, I find the item drops to be very good and well proportionated to the different scales of creep camps.
    - I like the global team positioning, with the tavern nearby, the ramp to help the defense and the unbuildable tiles in front of the camps to avoid abuse

- Love the overall map layout ! It gives a lot of different options and rewards all over the map.
    - Generally speaking, I find the item drops to be excellent and well proportionated to the different scales of creep camps.

- Love the overall map layout ! It gives a lot of different options and rewards all over the map.
    - The map itself is extremely original ! I like the general idea of path creeps and I would like to see more use to it in the future !

In the end, I really loved Northern Felwood, Golden Oases and Arctic Dream. These are my favorite ones, very well done guys !

13. XanderD

XanderD

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hi everyone!

Now I haven't been here for a couple of days so I missed most of the commentaries in this thread. But let me first thank all of you! @Mr.Henci for, let's say the "administrative" part of this contest, all of those who created maps, those who commented either here or in the previous contest thread, and the 25 who voted so far (I know I now thanked some of you multiple times). I also like the feedback some of you gave to the contest maps. I actually had my own excel file with my notes about all the maps, but except for the overview information like number of creeps and amount of gold I haven't posted any of it here. I studied to become a teacher and I've always been strict when rating tests. While a map making contest is not a school exam and there is of course never just one "right" answer or solution, I would not refrain from including what I would see as flaws in a map from any review. I even think that you can most often learn more from mistakes or flaws than from what you already did well. So my reviews would look harsh or even like badmouthing. I also don't want to influence anyone in this way since I am a participant in this contest. And that is why I won't post any of this until the poll is over and the judges have made their calls. Only if one of the map makers asks for a review from me via private message I would answer in the same manner.

I'm also already eager for the next map making contest and I guess I'm not alone. We could maybe start a discussion thread about this soon – even though it doesn't have to start anytime soon.

yours

Xander

14. Restor

Restor

Resources:
    Resources:
    Like the last contest, when the Aetherium won the public poll, and no offense, but that map is impossible to play as ordinary melee. Yes, it is nice and original, but impractical, and it is no real melee map because it used imported stuff

15. JaleVeliki

JaleVeliki

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Be it unplayable as that map was, the uniqueness and creativity of Aetherium rightfully deserved those votes imo :)
    Previous contest also wasn't focused on Reforged so imported assets and data changes were allowed.

Best balanced maps will be recognized for what they are, don't you worry :)

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
  16. Restor

Restor

Resources:
    Resources:
    I am not worried at all. This contest produced more playable maps than the previous one imho.

17. Ragnaros17

Ragnaros17

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    in no way to make flamming or start a discussion.

I would like to state IMO: That the map Aetherium a can be played as melee but not as competitive melee for hard and money melee contest, but mine maps can´t neither so is not a big issue, a lot of users play just for fun.

"I'm also already eager for the next map making contest and I guess I'm not alone. We could maybe start a discussion thread about this soon – even though it doesn't have to start anytime soon."

Like half of the melee comunity didn´t join this contest due to time, so maybe are really eager to do one.
    but we should wait the end of this first.

18. Restor

Restor

Resources:
    Resources:
    In fact even some maps from Blizzard itself are not very good for playing "ordinary melee"

that's no hate against that map, I just say, that it is more aesthetic than practical.

19. Ragnaros17

Ragnaros17

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I only started to put mind in balance with the contest, before that my maps were focus in enviroment.

3rd Melee contest poll question

I did this poll long a go, that defined the 4v4 melee contest, next contest should be smaller maps, 1v1 or 2v2 so more people will join us maybe.

20. W3Sour

W3Sour

Resources:
    Resources:
    Is WTii active and knows about the contest finish? Just curious. I'm halfway through my judging of the maps -

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.