1. The Melee Mapping Contest #4: 2v2 - Results are out! Step by to congratulate the winners!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We're hosting the 15th Mini-Mapping Contest with YouTuber Abelhawk! The contestants are to create a custom map that uses the hidden content within Warcraft 3 or is inspired by any of the many secrets within the game.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The 20th iteration of the Terraining Contest is upon us! Join and create exquisite Water Structures for it.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Melee Mapping contest #3 - Poll

Discussion in 'Poll Depository' started by Mr.Henci, Jan 14, 2019.

?

Cast your vote up to 5 entries: (READ THE RULES below before voting)

Poll closed Jan 29, 2019.
  1. Legion's Demise - by Knecht

26.8%
  2. Northern Felwood - by mafe

43.9%
  3. Nerubian Passage - by JaleVeliki

36.6%
  4. Cold Butterfly - by Rockstar356

29.3%
  5. Frostfloe Deep - by Ragnaros17

26.8%
  6. Scar of Northrend - by Khaldaiel

19.5%
  7. Burning Steppes - by fostaa

22.0%
  8. Treacherous Waters - by Ascrelle

17.1%
  9. Frozen Peak - by mmtt

19.5%
  10. Arctic Dream - by Loner-Magixxar

24.4%
  11. Underground Fortress (8) - by sentrywiz

9.8%
  12. Golden Oases - by XanderD

31.7%
  13. Taken City - by DuckDuckGoose

12.2%
  14. Desert Mirage - by Restor

9.8%
  15. Northmarsh Ruin v1.1 - by Arrr

29.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ragnaros17

Ragnaros17

Resources:
    Resources:
    Me: not always I am creative by spoting creativity on maps.

In my opinion about air creeps.

Undead can not creep air creeps till tier 2. (nerubians with web skill, or hero with the silk web item from the shop, both require tier 2). Unless you chose the lich hero Kelthuzan or dark ranger in the tavern.

But Undead tend to play with DK, Malganis hero or Nerubian hero too. They are nice tanks.

while the others races have anti air units in tier 1: orcs have trolls, humans riflemans, Ne archers.

So IMO I am not fan of air units in low level creeps green or orange. To balance the undead early in tier 1.
    If I use air creeps I like them more in red creeps.

I learned that from the wc3 youtube user Orange and I am stick to that melee knoledge since then.
    Orange

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  2. Restor

Restor

Resources:
    Resources:
    yes that's true, I never thought about that in this way. But there are many other creeps on that map and if it will be played as team game, it is not that big issue like in 1v1 perhaps

3. Ragnaros17

Ragnaros17

Resources:
    Resources:
    About the air creeps, I was talking in general, and in plays where players creep everyone by himself.
    thats true, not an issue in team games, is just the 1v1 theory is so stick in my skin that I use it in all.

4. Restor

Restor

Resources:
    Resources:
    As i am reviewing other maps, this thing what many maps suffer IMHO is that many "dead ends", i.e. some path, on which end there is a creep and/or shop or whatever, but there is no other way out of there, so army can be pretty easy trapped there. In most of the common played ladder maps there are no such dead ends, because from almost every place on the map the army can escape from chasing by the enemy

5. Ragnaros17

Ragnaros17

Resources:
    Resources:
    Yes important point.
    I should be crowned king of the dead ends. My bug.
    That bug appeared in my map when I was forced to move starting positions foward to reduce walk between teams + very small map.

6. Restor

Restor

Resources:
    Resources:
    yeah, that central goblin shop between two starting locations, but I dont thing that some enemy would like to go buy stuff to the shop just between two enemy bases :p

7. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I don't see it as a bug. It's makes for diverse strategy. If every map is the same, then it's a boring game.

8. Ragnaros17

Ragnaros17

Resources:
    Resources:
    glad to hear it but:

In the second melee contest, I had my mercenary camps in dead ends, and that was spoted as bugs, and to get approval of the map, I fixed that.
    there was a single path to reach the merc. camp and then you had to go back for the same road.

by the way (trying to be on topic), congrats! to mafe and XanderD they shure are doing well on the poll for the moment.
    edited

9. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    You mean because the mercenaries were trapped between doodads? Otherwise, I see no problem.

10. sentrywiz

sentrywiz

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I was just gonna say the same thing.
    Making melee maps is a skill on itself and some guys have better practice and knowledge.
    Nothing against them, you make what you're interested in.
    Even though I like making maps, melee maps are my least favorite.

Your map isn't doing bad either. Even my map and all other 1 vote maps aren't doing bad.
    We got to participate, winning is icing on the cake.

Acknowledgement feels great, but to me and maybe others the feeling of
    completing a map and releasing it on hive and other sites feels like winning.

11. Mr.Henci

Mr.Henci

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    @sentrywiz even the guy with the least points can be proud of himself, since he managed to create a 4v4 in time. Look how many users, including me, weren't able to finish their entries in time. :p :D

12. Ragnaros17

Ragnaros17

Resources:
    Resources:
    true
    I didnĀ“t want to make a problematic comment, just a fast attempt to try to be on topic. Because I was going very offtopic with my dead ends discuss.

Dead ends may be bugs or not depending on the situation or the zone where they are placed. Or the distance to walk to reach the dead end.

and about the poll with so many great maps, votes are pretty much scattered between entries, 3 here, 3 there, 2 here , 4 there, 5 here, 3 again there. So that mafe and XanderD achieved 9 each, is that they got a good impact from the public.
    Is also nice to see all entries with at least 1 vote.
    I hope at least 1 map from these 15 may reach Ladder play or melee play contest.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  13. Restor

Restor

Resources:
    Resources:
    @Mr.Henci - as you said, I am proud of myself that I finished my map at all, because laziness is my second name :p, and I started only after Christmas, so I just had around three weeks only :p

And I am glad that my favorites have the most votes for the time being

14. sentrywiz

sentrywiz

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Exactly, well said.

Public poll can be very random, as @Mr.Henci said somewhere in the contest, map will be judged in about a month.
    So this will take a while, and by the time results come most of us might forget the contest xD

And yeah, it sucks when a map gets 0 votes, even if it really sucks, I'm sure some effort and thought went into it.
    Its a shame if it doesn't get acknowledgement, but people are who they are, and what they like, they like and what they don't like, they don't. So I am glad like you that there are no maps on the bottom of the barrel, even though we can guess which ones are there.

In a way its like comparing ice cream flavors... you can't expect everyone to like strawberry or vanilla, that's why there
    are so many flavors. But in no way possible is one ice cream flavor better than another. All truth is relative.

15. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Not in science. Anyways, you are right when it comes to people voting spontaneously but when it comes to those that actually give some thought to the maps, comparing it to flavours becomes moot.

16. sentrywiz

sentrywiz

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Science is very limited.
    All truth is relative. Or better said - all in the eye of the beholder.
    We should talk about science somewhere else though, I feel this isn't the thread.

I'm comparing people's tastes in maps, not the skill or knowledge that goes into map making.

17. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Tell that to physicists. If all truth is relative, then there is no truth which is false. The universe acts on a foundation of unchanging laws. Take chemistry for instance. Reactions come out how they should every time unless there's an interfering factor.
    I'm comparing the skill that goes into people understanding the problems of a map like balance when they play it. But most people vote on a whim anyway.

18. sentrywiz

sentrywiz

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    The act of trying to explain something, dissects it. That's what science does - dissects things, analyzes them and says this is truth.
    Science is all mind. No heart. No emotions. No thoughts. And it doesn't work that way... btw, explain the double slit experiment.

That's another skill entirely. That's more of an observer or a judge's point of view. But again.. still relative.
    And yes people do do that. Because we're people :D

19. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Because science doesn't work on hormones it doesn't mean it's not true because you can't feel it.
    I can't explain the double slit experiment. First of all, I'm not a physicist. Second, it's like you expect me to discover a cure for all cancers right now.
    Who knows? Maybe there's interference somewhere and physicists haven't figured out where/why. Humanity probably will find out at some point and we might not live to see it, sadly.
    Instead of giving an example of an enigma which means further research is required for its elucidation, you should use palpable ones. Otherwise, we're polemicizing over God's existence.

20. sentrywiz

sentrywiz

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I never said its not true. All I said is truth is relative.
    And that science is very limited. Because it boxes itself in, then claims universe is a box.

Why is it an enigma? Makes perfect sense to me. Because it proves truth is relative.
    Here it is, explained in science terms: consciousness collapses the wave function of a particle.
    Ok here's another then. "if a tree falls in the forest and there's no-one to hear it, does it make a sound?"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.