• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Melee Mapping Contest #1 - 1v1[$100 Prize Pool]

Status
Not open for further replies.
983b39269eb3a996d291a2996758cf52.png

I almost complete my map. It is fully playable now. But I need your reviews before can say that is done.
It has:
2 High-ground bases (12500 gold)
2 nearby low-ground expansions (10000 gold) - Maybe need to reduce it?
1 Unguarded Tavern
2 Goblin Merchants
2 Goblin Laboratories
2 Teleports (1 Teleport way).

6 Green Creep Camps
10 Orange Creep Camps
2 Red Creep Camps

No Blocked Pathways.
Balanced item-drops.
New retextured models of warriors (stone-statues) dodads.
Also you can see some recolored tilesets, yellow fog and light rain.
e198f82ffb3012f94452c86ada788f85.png

Attachments

• (2)WarriorShrine.w3x
    814.2 KB · Views: 51
Level 7
I am retiring my current map entry, as it is very outdated. Instead, I present an all new map as my contest entry: Fractured Monarch.
FracturedMonarch.PNG

The map contains:

8 Small Creep Camps
9 Medium Creep Camps
3 Large Creep Camps

5 Gold Mines
2 Mercenary Camps
2 Marketplaces
1 Goblin Merchant
1 Tavern

The environment is inspired by the Ghostlands in World of Warcraft. FM's most distinguishing feature is the lack of high-level items. Instead, the powerful creep camps (at the top of the map) drop Runes of Rebirth that permanently bring their strongest creep to your side. I found that a lot of competitive games could be decided, or heavily swung in one player's favor, simply by an amazing item dropping that managed to perfectly fit the needs of that hero/player at the time. Having a unit 'drop' instead of an item changes this mechanic in two ways: Firstly, the rewards of these high-level camps are now perfectly consistent. And secondly, the rewards are more dynamic in an interesting way, able to be countered by a clever enemy killing the unit, rather than the item's benefit permanently being on the creeping player's side.

The creeps available this way are: 2 Nerubian Queens (top left/right), 2 Ice Revenants (left/right of top center), and 1 Death Revenant (top center). Two Marketplaces have been added to make up for the general lack of items in favor of Runes of Rebirth.

Another thing I'm experimenting with is the addition of a level 6 Wraith very close to the player's base, guaranteed to drop 2 Sentry Wards. Because of Possession, players are discouraged to use units to kill it, as then they'd lose the wards and their unit. Instead, most heroes should be able to kill the Wraith solo at level 1 or 2, albeit at a cost, allowing players to trade some time and Hero health in order to gain valuable scouting information, whether offensively to know where enemies are and when they'll be trying to recruit the creep bosses, or defensively to foresee an attack on them or their base when they do so themselves.

Of course, making sure all of the creep camps are balanced for each of the 4 races is the most important thing left to do. The main issues I'm still trying to test are:
-Is creeping the Nerubian camps with Militias/Ancients of War a viable option in the early game? I don't yet know if I would want it to be one in the first place. It could be interesting.
-Are the creep boss camps too open for ambush? Technically, a Blademaster could go invisible and steal the Rune to deny the opponents a boss, but unless they manage to get the boss out of there alive for themselves they wouldn't get as big a reward as they would normally get with such an ambush.
-Does the Wraith battle favor any one race? The Blademaster is the most obvious contender, able to steal the Wards from an opponent trying to kill the Wraith as well as having high damage to kill one's own quickly. Other high-damage heroes have an obvious benefit as well. I might be able to add a creep that lowers the gap between high and low damage heroes' effectiveness in killing the camp or replace the camp with something else entirely.
-Are the main expansions viable enough? They aren't particularly closed off from the opponent by terrain or chokepoints. The expansion in the top middle is more of a wildcard, serving as either an additional dynamic of reward/punishment for a greedy player, or a point of contention on the map once the players' expansions run out and the game nears a stalemate.

wip1.PNG wip2.PNG Wip3.PNG FracturedMonarch.PNG

Attachments

• (2)FracturedMonarch.w3x
    1.3 MB · Views: 98

mafe

Map Reviewer
Level 24
Something that might be interesting for all mapmakers here: Ena-Cup #5 is taking place today. Why is this interesting? Apparently it will only be played on the LV maps from the test realm. So you see proplayers on maps that are slightly different from the common maps (or almost entirely new), and more importantly, I expect that the commentators will surely comment on these maps aswell. So this might give hints at what they consider important, or good/bad design.
Surely there will also be VODs later on.

Level 7
I almost complete my map. It is fully playable now. But I need your reviews before can say that is done.

I've had a look at your map and here's a few comments to help you finish it :)

-This cliff leading to the Waygate (and the same area on the other side of the map) has pathing issues; There is only a very small section where you can get on the higher ground (pictured below; The pink squares are unwalkable and only the 1x1 brown spot allows passage).
upload_2017-10-28_15-39-45.png

-Several creep camps are not blue (which means they're more aggressive to units walking around them) which should typically be avoided. There are also
several camps that have both blue and not-blue creeps. All creeps in a camp should be blue, unless you have a strong reason to make the entire camp not blue/more aggressive. (example camp in both images here)
upload_2017-10-28_15-40-28.png

-The optimal creep killing routes for both players are very isolated, forcing the players to the outsides of the map rather than toward each other. This leads to less potential for interesting player interactions early on, unless players take risks, and can lead to very long games without much going on. To increase player interactivity, you could make the contested creep camps in the middle of the map more important for early leveling, or move the Way Gate or change the creep camp closest to the Way Gate so that the creep camp closest to the waygate is not too powerful and is important for the optimal creeping route. This will allow the faster player to interrupt their opponent's most important creeping spot quickly by traveling through the Way Gate. As an added note, make sure those creeps don't attack the units of a player who tries to go through the Way Gate.

-And don't forget to set your Map Options -> Game Data Set to Melee-Latest Patch. (Ironically, this contest requirement makes the World Editor think every map entry for the contest is non-melee.)

Good luck with polishing your entry!

Update! :)
  • Added 2 Level Permanent items to Bandits (thanx to mafe for review).
  • Reworked Troll's Creepcamps.
  • Rebuilded some cliffs to fix paths (thanx to Ascrelle for review).
  • A bit more trees added.
  • Tree-deins.
  • Added critters.
AND HOW TO BE A WIP MARKED ON SECOND POST OF THIS THREAD??? :mad:

Attachments

• (2)WarriorShrine1.1.w3x
    818.7 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Level 4
Level 22
Level 7
Ehh, man. Look at the name of the thread....
[$100 Prize Pool] Melee Mapping Contest - 1v1
1 versus 1 maps only.

Isn't the idea that you can use a map of any size, but it will only be judged based on how it plays in 1v1? There are plenty of commonly used maps that are more than 2 players but are great for 1v1 games. (Turtle Rock, Twisted Meadows to name a few).

There was even a 3-player map entry in this topic. I don't think anything explicitly says you can't use a more than 2 player map.

Level 4
Look at the starting locations in the north and then south, each two are quite near each other.

That's correct. And not a problem, as Turtle Rock is commonly played, too.

As I understood, it is as @Ascrelle said: The number of starting locations is not determined by the contest rules.

If I am wrong, please tell me. This should be done by a judge or contest-host or similar :)

Level 6
This should be my final version - since I won't hardly have the time to work on this map any more in the next three weeks.

Attachments

• (2)Waterfalls.w3x
    215 KB · Views: 31

mafe

Map Reviewer
Level 24
From earlier in the thread:
Awesome idea! Can't wait to see the maps for this.

Out of curiosity, why might there be a cap on the number of participants? Is it so that judging doesn't take too long?

Yep and so it doesn't affect the quality of judging (so there's scenario needed to rush through testing tons of maps)

I will add the participant list tomorrow. Also note that if there's space, you can participate after the start date.

Level 4
Hey guys,
I worked hard the last couple of days! I'm pretty close to finishing my map.

To Do:
- Smoothen Terraining/Landscape
- Items
- Testing

Attached you can find some screenshots.

Looking forward to get some constructive feedback :)

EDIT: Changed a screenshot

Attachments

• fs_wc3_hive(1).jpeg
    fs_wc3_hive(1).jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 85
  • fs_wc3_hive(2).jpeg
    fs_wc3_hive(2).jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 81
  • fs_wc3_hive(3).jpeg
    fs_wc3_hive(3).jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 117
  • fs_wc3_hive(4).jpeg
    fs_wc3_hive(4).jpeg
    660.2 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:

mafe

Map Reviewer
Level 24
So, I think my map is pretty much at the point where I dont want to change anything about the gameplay.

In comparison to my last version, it might now look much different to you. I have mostly made some small adjustments at points where I felt that pathing would be "unnatural". Also, I've changed the island gold mine to a healt fountain/mana fountain/dragon roost random building and removed the dragon rost from the already-present random building table. I'm not sure if that makes the islands more or less attractive; also two random buildings might too much when one is "new" concept already?

Any feedback would be welcome; typically I hesitate to start with visuals before I'm confident the gameplay is right.

Attachments

• WIP.w3x
    100.8 KB · Views: 33
Level 22
@mafe I haven't see your previous WIP, but i like what I see here. Reminds me of original Bllizard's melee maps. But here is a few things:
The random building in the center (near to tavern) have a 25% chance to be useless neutrall buildin, is it suposed to be so?
Also it have a chance to be another one mercenary camp. Yeah, that will be another type of tileset, but still 3 Mercenary Camps in a row will feels strange.. I thing.

Level 7
Hey guys!

I changed some things on my map, and finished it, but it is still in progress. Thanks to @mafe I made wider pathes, and I changed the bridge to the Observatory islands, so you have to walk longer to them.

Hope you like it! :)

map3.jpg

map4.jpg

map5.jpg

map6.jpg

map7.jpg

map8.jpg

Attachments

• EndgameInNetherWorld.w3x
    1 MB · Views: 41
Level 10
Apologies for the inactivity guys. I had exams a few days ago.

I will try to answer everyone's questions and address the waitlist in at most a couple hours.

How can I participate? I found out later, besides that I'm doing homework at my school. But I could make a map especially for the contest, although it took me valuable time. It would be great if you give me the opportunity.

Level 32
Posting this to notify everyone on that matter. To answer everyone's questions, it is still *technically* possible to join but realistically, those who are joining a lot later will have a slimmer chance of making it into the 30 judged entries.

What:
The 30 people who registered all have a secure chance in having their map qualify for their contest. HOWEVER, if there is no final entry for anyone in this 30, the next person(s) on the waitlist will replace that slot. Basically, we will have 30 maps to judge by the end no matter what. Often, in these contests, 15%-45% of people drop out or end up being a no-show. So it's pretty safe to say those high on the waitlist are in. For those further out, the chance is less.

Why:
This is the biggest contest Hive has ever done. 45+ stated they wanted to participate, and that's crazy. We're not equipped to judging so many maps due to time / schedules. We also need to make sure each map is judged fairly without rushing. Additionally, if we didn't have a limit, there would be even more people willing to participate and I can't imagine how flooded the thread would be. I apologize if this let anyone down. I wouldn't want to have a cut-off if this was a fulltime job or anything, but the scenario is that we're unable to judge as many as we would like.

Participant
WIPFinal Entry

1. @Fnif
------

2. @Flute
------

3. @Miacis
------

4. @The Panda
---

5. @Abovegame
------

6. @Svetli
---

7. @Mr.Henci
------

8. @Erkan
------

9. @MysteryMaze
------

10. @Knecht
---

12. @Arrr
------

13. @ysuk9127
---

14. @Darfi
------

15. @mafe
---

16. @Alex-dqw
------

17. @XanderD
---

18. @forsaker
---

19. @Razvan
------

20. @Maxwell
---

21. @Kaer#2460
------

22. @Mads Buus
---

23. @Adney
---

24. @Ascrelle
---

25. @Paillan
------

26. @moyackx
------

27. @doom_sheep
------

28. @aeman
---

29. @Blood Raven
------

30. @RehcraM
---
Total: 30/30
(Considering to raise limit, will talk with other judges - limit raised to 30)

WAITLIST (if someone drops out, the next person in line will be added if they please)
31. @Anomines
32. @RFWH
33. @shinji
34. @borissuworov
35. @Kyrbi0
36. @TheEarthquake
37. @sonofjay
38. @bojanpet55
39. @Krazykid
40. @Rufus
41. @L8man
42. @Diegoit
43. @rbr.Godfather
44. @DarkRangerAlice
45. @Darkfang
46. @axelthemorse
47. @loboproto
48. @twojstaryjakcie

I will edit the WIPs and final entries more when I have the chance. Also, I missed some people on page 5 and 6, so I put them in the right order of the waitlist according to first come first serve.

@StoPCampinGn00b Is there a limit too how many custom doodads we import?
Nah.

@StoPCampinGn00b Is there any chance for people still to join? I have a friend of mine who wants to join but saw this late.

@loboproto
Ah, you can't really speak for others. If he wants to join he can post.

Last edited:
Level 15
I think you just need a scalable judging system. Let's say each judge reviews 10 maps and picks top 3 or 4 then at the next iteration you'' have 12-16 maps left which you split so two judges per 8 maps, again picking only 2-3. There, you now have a set of finalists.

The earlier process is not to give a detailed review but sort out the good from the bad, and in the later stages you sort out the great from the good, and finally you pick your winners. Basically a tourament structure.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.