• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Melee Mapping Contest #1 - 1v1[$100 Prize Pool]

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Panda

Icon Reviewer
Level 57
I feel like theres a lot of tension in here with the waitlist and everything. This contest has over 11,000 views and is the most popular contest currently, and we have more than probably 50 people wanting to create maps to be judged. I think 30 participant's is enough for now considering how much work it is to judge maps and making sure everything is in line. So anyone else that is complaining about it im sure there will be more contests for melee maps in the future.. This isn't one of those "once in a life time" event. Please keep the work in progress photos coming and lets all stop the tension in here, thanks. Also, even if we had more than 30 everyone would upload there maps to the map section and it would just flood it, which would be kinda annoying.

Level 19
Anyway, here's a new WIP

full

Decided to make an 720 degree turn after some testing in a beta version of what I shall call "paradise fight" for simplicity.
Say hi to "Volcano land".

Level 19
I'm entering the contest.
My entry is skull island, here's an early WIP pic.

The waiting list is bullshit by the way and not to be rude, but a bunch of maps in the thread are barely even playable by melee standards.

Um... I am not trying to be THAT guy but I am going to be THAT GUY. Entries are suspended for the time being as indicated by @StoPCampinGn00b

Level 22
and we have more than probably 50 people wanting to create maps to be judged. I think 30 participant's is enough for now considering how much work it is to judge maps and making sure everything is in line.
I think that "[$100 Prize Pool]" in the headline was unnecessary. I believe that it was the reason why some of guys have joined the contest.
The earlier process is not to give a detailed review but sort out the good from the bad, and in the later stages you sort out the great from the good, and finally you pick your winners. Basically a tourament structure.
@Pinzu but it is not tournament. In tournament games you can clearly see who lost and who won and goes on to the next round. You can not just rely on the subjective opinion of one judge in such contest.

Level 32
~List updated. 2 people dropped out so @RFWH and @Anomines have clear skies ahead. Will add WIP links later.

What ?, but if I comment after Paillan and has not answered, not even put me on the waitlist, I can not avoid feeling ignored.
Sorry about this. I somehow saw Paillan's post as the way you were trying to join, and didn't see yours. I added you to the waitlist in the correct order, but do know that you're quite far up joining this late.

Indeed I surely wouldnt want to invest a lot of time (15hours? 25 hours? Maybe more if you include testing) if I knew that a single judge could make my map get discarded just from looking at it for a few minutes.
Exactly. We want to make sure that we can look at maps with time instead of just rushing through 50. I do not wish to exclude anybody, but this is the sacrifice I decided to make to ensure we're not drastically lowering the quality of judging. We're usually judging 5-15 entries for almost all other contests.

I'm entering the contest.
My entry is skull island, here's an early WIP pic.

The waiting list is bullshit by the way and not to be rude, but a bunch of maps in the thread are barely even playable by melee standards.
On your concern on other participant's map quality, it's a contest; there are winners and losers. I understand that there may be more talented map makers that might not be able to participate, but the contest was announced over two weeks ago. I have made as much room as possible for latecomers in order to try and not turn people away along with trying to make sure we don't skew the judging quality / time. Technically, I can add you to the waitlist but I'm concerned that those who join this late might be too far down the list.

I feel like theres a lot of tension in here with the waitlist and everything. This contest has over 11,000 views and is the most popular contest currently, and we have more than probably 50 people wanting to create maps to be judged. I think 30 participant's is enough for now considering how much work it is to judge maps and making sure everything is in line. So anyone else that is complaining about it im sure there will be more contests for melee maps in the future.. This isn't one of those "once in a life time" event. Please keep the work in progress photos coming and lets all stop the tension in here, thanks. Also, even if we had more than 30 everyone would upload there maps to the map section and it would just flood it, which would be kinda annoying.
This. Also, to add on. You can still create melee maps without a contest! I know it may not be as rewarding, but if you truly love modding - you do it for fun. This has been what Hive and modding communities have been about since the beginning. If it weren't, we wouldn't have any of these extravagant contests. Anyway, I hope everyone can go there own way satisfied. I will continue to monitor the contest and update the waitlist. Might even micromanage a few people who I notice haven't submitted anything too. Good luck all!

Level 4
@StoPCampinGn00b
Thanks for this clear statements. I heavily agree with @mafe 's post and I am glad that you want to take the time really needed for judging.

I just want to add a small thing which you may consider: Post a WIP a couple of days before the deadline, just to get rid of the AFKs and make sure people on the waiting list have a bit time to prepare their final entry.
I mean this would slightly change the rules you stated in first place, but due to the high attention the thread achieved it could be a good trade-off.

In Addition, what exactly do you mean by "bug free"? (first post with the rules of the contest)

Good luck to everyone and I am looking forward to see your WIPs!

EDIT: English is hard ^^

Level 24
I don't think you need to concern yourself with the quality of testing. There are 3 winners in the contest. It's not like you need to write a review for every entry and if you want to do it doesn't have to be a long essay. In contests theres usually handpicked winners and a few reasons for why the judges liked that particular entry. You're overcomplicating the situation for yourself by stating you want to "trying to make sure we don't skew the judging quality / time". When all you really need to do is qualitycheck maybe 10 entries that are actually good. If a map is fun it's fun. Most of the time you can tell if the map is good or bad simply by the overview. Because by melee map standards, the map is lacking in any fundamental departments it's just not going to be good. Such as bad item drops, lacking a shop, creeps aggro on normal roads, too much high ground mechanics, using bridges, destroyable debris, etc.

I feel like theres a lot of tension in here with the waitlist and everything.
Oh boy i wonder why. It's a contest with an actual prizepot. Melee maps are easy to make and as such the judges should have been prepared to handle around 30-100 entries when this contest first got announced. Honestly i wouldn't want to enter this contest if the prizepot wasn't there. Why would anybody do it unless they loved mapmaking and playing melee maps?

"bug free"?
-Do creeps aggro on normal walk paths?
-Do your units get caught up in walk paths as a result of the system not finding the shortest path?
-Can you kill creep camps without taking damage, IE cheesing.
-Stupid tiles that prevent building on otherwise regular building areas

Also WIP:
Skull Island 2.jpg
Halting progress here unless i get into "the list" or judges remove the idiotic 30-entry limit.

Level 13
Hey this looks awesome! I'v been off for a while, busy with collage and stuff. But I'm happy to try this out! Count me in! also, I got a few questions.

1. I have an idea of making a 2 world map(different terrain tiles mixed up), question is. Is it OK to use different tiles?
2. If I use different tiles, that means, I have to use different neutrals, soo that will kinda mess up the balance.So is it OK to copy the neutral units that I have in the one side of the map, copy them, but with different models, animation, voice and so on, but with the same stats (Damage, Health, Attack speed and so on). I want do this, so I can keep the map balanced. So one side has the same neutral difficulty as the other player.
3. Can I change the model any of the neutral buildings, like the Way Gate? I want to change it in to a portal, so it fits the theme of my map.

Also, If these questions are answered in the rules section, or the first post w/e you call it. I'm so sorry, for my laziness.

Level 22
Hey this looks awesome! I'v been off for a while, busy with collage and stuff. But I'm happy to try this out! Count me in!

30 members takes part in the contest.
15 members are in the "waitlist" already.
Chance to take a part are really small. But anyway you can just upload your map to share it with Hive members, that is better than any prize.

Technically, I can add you to the waitlist but I'm concerned that those who join this late might be too far down the list.

Level 15
Can someone post an official definition of a "melee map" I really want to add some creativity if possible.

The definition you find in the directory "Warcraft III\Maps\FrozenThrone", melee maps shun creativity like the plague!

In all seriousness though, the links provided at the start, a quick look at a few active 1vs1 maps should give you enough to get going. If you are looking for newer maps, apart from the stale old blizzard ladder ones, I suggest you download the w3arena map pack or some other competitivly used map pack.

I think you are allowed to use custom resources for this, but I'd say avoid using something that is too distracting to the eye, light effects, fog effects, etc.

Gven creativity is valued at 15% and balance 50% you should focus on the latter. Creativity lies in how the design and palcement of creeps, creep drops, shops, taverns, expansions, etc synergizes with the gameplay it offers.

The real question is how do you balance a melee map?

Last edited:
Level 4
@Maxwell
I like the tileset a lot and think you did a great job including it in your map. Also the doo's and how you placed them is very fitting to your theme.
Some small things I noticed:
The start location of each player is very open. Melee maps in the meta have a more closed spot I think.
Not every orange/red camp gives you a power up. I think you can be a bit more generous with that.
I am not a fan of portals, but as you mentioned in a previous post you have well thought about them.
Last point is wood work. You can improve the placement of the trees to get a more closed structure. I know it does not look that vital if you place the trees accurately but players could abuse these gaps.

Level 15
@Maxwell
The start location of each player is very open. Melee maps in the meta have a more closed spot I think.
Not every orange/red camp gives you a power up. I think you can be a bit more generous with that.
I am not a fan of portals, but as you mentioned in a previous post you have well thought about them.
Last point is wood work. You can improve the placement of the trees to get a more closed structure. I know it does not look that vital if you place the trees accurately but players could abuse these gaps.

That's actually really vital, is there any map left in meta where you can't block off the base?

Also a question regarding the rock chucks: are there any rules against having modified hp and sizes on things the player can interact with. Personally I think you should avoid from altering things like tree hp, tree size, rock chunk size and hp. The players base asumtions on previous knowledge and if you alter those things you change the learning curve of the map.

This is the price you pay for just bypassing the creeps to get into the back lines of a players base, it's not very high, altough you pay some time for having to destroy the rock chunks behind your own base.

I can picture humans towerrushing orcs and elves to death without any effort. The choke behind the chunks are quite sick when you think about it.

upload_2017-11-5_6-13-28.png

Last edited:
Alright this is my final entry:

full

by BLazeKraze

"Live by these words: lok'tar ogar. Victory...or death." — Garrosh Hellscream

Features:

Neutral Buildings:
4 Goldmine Expansions
2 Taverns
2 Goblin Merchants
2 Goblin Laboratories

Neutral Creeps:
6 Green creep camps
12 Orange creep camps
Sorry, no red camps :(

Screenshots:

full

full

full

full

Changelog:

1.0 First release.

Author Notes:

An entry for SPECIAL MELEE MAPPING CONTEST - 1v1

If you have questions, suggestions or criticisms, just leave your comments below!

Last edited:
Level 3
My WIP:
map has no name yet so will be in the map sections once i find a name and on its final entry

Features for now

Neutral Buildings
4 Goldmines
1 Tavern
2 Goblin Merchants
2 Goblin Laboratories
2 Mercenary Camps

Neutral Creep Camps
10 Green camps
12 Orange camps

SCREENSHOTS

from above.PNG

1:scrn1.png
2:scrn2.png
3:scrn3.png
4:scrn4.png
5:scrn5.png
6:scrn6.png

Level 9
A question to the judges:

One contested green creepcamp in the middle of my map drops a rune that allows vision over the area where the item was consumed. The Idea is that Players rush to the middle of the map and encourage early game fights and aggression over this little creep (its quite easy to kill and grants some mapcontrol)
The problem is that the normal "Rune of the Watcher" creates a Sentry Ward that is invincible and does not expire at all, which would be super OP.
I copied the item and created a "Lesser Rune of the Watcher" which gives the Sentry Ward an expiration time and also removed invulnerability.

The rules say that game altering data is not allowed, so I wanted to ask if this counts as gamealtering data and would disqualify the map? (since it doesnt change the balance of any race or any meta)

Some new screens.
The hardest part is probably to find the sweetspot of how much one can go into terraining but still keep integrity to the default maps in the pool.

Hive_1.jpg

Hive_2.jpg

Almost finish! Needs some polishing. I don't use any custom models, just some default stuffs. Looks narrow but isn't.

I checked it out and I would definitely say its still way too narrow!
Sometimes I had troubles moving a bigger chunk of units through passages or fight decently at creepcamps. I would suggest to have a bigger variety of open fields and chokes with various directions one can engage.
The way the map is structured right now is that most of the time you run along a very narrow pre-defined path.

I like the terrain and doodad placement though, it creates a really nice atmosphere

Last edited:
//I checked it out and I would definitely say its still way too narrow!
Sometimes I had troubles moving a bigger chunk of units through passages or fight decently at creepcamps. I would suggest to have a bigger variety of open fields and chokes with various directions one can engage.
The way the map is structured right now is that most of the time you run along a very narrow pre-defined path.

I like the terrain and doodad placement though, it creates a really nice atmosphere//

I'll update this now. (Reduced some unnecessary doodads which cause too much narrowness)
Anyway, the narrowness of the map is intentional. There is a ramp (in the middle) which is near to the other base, I make it narrow to prevent player from attacking quickly with a large army, so definitely they will find other way to attack it also you can use the terrain for trapping enemies or building a defensive structure. I tried to play with AI and tbh I enjoyed how I trapped them into tight paths. By the way, thanks for your suggestion. :)

Level 4
My map '(4) Temple Field' is almost finished. I appreciate any constructive feedback! Also suggestions and tips for the contest entry (format, design) are very welcome.

It turned out to suit 4 players for 2v2 as well, but it should be just as interesting for 1v1 as close/distant positions should make for very different games! :)

EDIT: Added the current w3x-file.
EDIT: Updated map. Minor changes about terrain, doodads, and item drops.
9/11/2017 Slight changes in positioning of Lv 17 center spots. Added trees around those spots.
9/11/2017 Some doodads added in the water. Trees added around Market Place and Goblin Lab. Some texture changes.

Attachments

• Bottom-right_to_Top_Left.PNG
    Bottom-right_to_Top_Left.PNG
    4.1 MB · Views: 79
  • Green_camp_Ogres_Starting_position.PNG
    Green_camp_Ogres_Starting_position.PNG
    3 MB · Views: 57
  • Lab_to_expo.PNG
    Lab_to_expo.PNG
    3.7 MB · Views: 76
  • Market.PNG
    Market.PNG
    4 MB · Views: 76
  • Mid_to_Top_Left.PNG
    Mid_to_Top_Left.PNG
    3.6 MB · Views: 81
  • Ogre_spot.PNG
    Ogre_spot.PNG
    3.5 MB · Views: 71
  • Ogres_expo_and_Shop.PNG
    Ogres_expo_and_Shop.PNG
    4.3 MB · Views: 61
  • Red_Spot.PNG
    Red_Spot.PNG
    4.3 MB · Views: 73
  • Starting_position.PNG
    Starting_position.PNG
    3.9 MB · Views: 70
  • Statue_mid_to_Merccamp.PNG
    Statue_mid_to_Merccamp.PNG
    4.3 MB · Views: 78
  • Top.PNG
    Top.PNG
    2.7 MB · Views: 78
  • Totale.PNG
    Totale.PNG
    2.8 MB · Views: 76
  • (4)TempleField.w3x
    175.8 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Level 7
Hello everyone, this is my WIP:

The map feature:

-6 gold mines
-2 Goblin Merchants
-2 Goblin Laboratories
-2 Mercenary Camps
-1 Tavern

-2 red camps
-10 orange camps
-6 greens camps

The map is still in early development, The creeps themselves are missing. but the layout is done and should stay the same.

Attachments

• Erkan map WIP1.jpg
    Erkan map WIP1.jpg
    508.4 KB · Views: 78
  • Erkan WIP1.jpg
    Erkan WIP1.jpg
    736.4 KB · Views: 193
  • Erkan Contest WIP1.w3x
    379.2 KB · Views: 24
Level 15
I think that "[$100 Prize Pool]" in the headline was unnecessary. I believe that it was the reason why some of guys have joined the contest.

@Pinzu but it is not tournament. In tournament games you can clearly see who lost and who won and goes on to the next round. You can not just rely on the subjective opinion of one judge in such contest.

It's only a subjective oppinion to discriminate broadly in the early stages though.

Level 3
A first draft of my submission. Creeps are not done yet and added just for the sake of having some for now and the terrain will also change quite a bit, but i guess one can see where it is going.
Stuff like tree density and so on will be done in a later stage. Also im not sure yet about the position of the goblin labs.

Features:
2 naturals and 1 contested goldmine which should increase the possibilities and dynamics of gameplay ->expanding closer to your enemy or further, depending on risk and gamestyle
1 contested shop to add the "b2w shopcontrol" gamedynamics which is actually a lot of fun
1 Tavern
2 merc camps - love games with mercs
2 goblin labs for sappers, shredder and zeppelin

The midst of the map, around the tavern some single trees are placed which can be used for some early hiding/microplay with the fog of war
The general idea of the map lies in providing several different areas from chokes to wide fields which makes choosing the battlefield and positioning a stronger factor in gameplay.

Also i will further try to give the map several different areas which should make the visual variety bigger and the play-experience more diverse.

Interesting map. Good work.

Status
Not open for further replies.