• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Feedback] Compiled List of Bugs & Issues for 1.30.1+

Eye

Eye

Level 2
The World Editor removes the whole "Temp" folder on Windows 7 with launch and on exit. It recreates the folder when testing the map, although sometimes, when map was not saved before pressing the test button, it does not, thus throwing an error window.
After some time working on any map, editor starts to close each time map terrain gets selected, without any errors. Newly created maps, or maps from older patches, don't suffer until saving, and reopening of the editor. This appears to affect only 64-bit version of the editor.
"Open Document" and "Tool Palette" windows always have the default size, position and state.

Anybody else also experience this or is it a recurring issue? I have broken text and highlighting not aligning with text in the latest version, 1920x1080 resolution.
WC3ScrnShot_092119_202850_03.png WC3ScrnShot_092119_202736_02.png

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
1.31.1 has serious memory stack issues. Maps that used to load (via load game) properly on previous versions now either take huge amounts of time before they start loading or don't at all the game freezing/not responding anymore.
Same happens when trying to exit/quit the game.

I mean, literally almost every custom map out there takes huge amounts of time to exit and I resort to shutting the game down forcefully each time.

Last edited:

Wrda

Spell Reviewer
Level 25
1.31.1 has serious memory stack issues. Maps that used to load (via load game) properly on previous versions now either take huge amounts of time before they start loading or don't at all the game freezing/not responding anymore.
Not to mention that a friend I know also tried to load game (in battlenet) after saving it also online, it only works if you are in the first slot (player red in most cases), others just crash.

Level 5
So i dont really know where to post this but here: My map (Azeroth Wars) desynced almost every game at random time without reason. After a lot of replay watching, i noticed flamestrike based spells had a role to play in them, so i removed them all from my map and for over 10 games, not a single desync.

just sharing the word if other map makers are having some kind of issue! Might also help to uncover the reason why flamestrike is causing desyncs.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68

I mean, literally almost every custom map out there takes huge amounts of time to exit and I resort to shutting the game down forcefully each time.
For some reason the x86 version works much, much better.

Level 24
This new patch is fucking garbage jesus.
The world editor has never been this unstable and laggy.
In general i have -20 FPS with the new editor.
I have to use autosave with 20 minutes apart or i risk losing large parts of work.
Especially when changing height of the terrain.
Copypaste terrain is like 2/3 chance of causing crash.
Smoothing tool crashes every now and then and is also a huge risk.
Destructables don't get removed when raising platform height and i'll suddenly have trees hidden underground on terrain where they can't even be placed.
Trigger editor also cause crashes every now and then.
Any change i make in the trigger editor is super slow and laggy, probably because of the IDs.

Also if anyone knows where WorldEditTestMap is located do help me out.

Level 18
There is an issue with comments in lua maps that makes maps unable to load.
Below are two examples which only differ in the comments at the top. The first one works fine, but the second won't load.

Edit: After further investigation, it appears the second case only fails to load when the map script is compressed (which may be caused by a possible bug in the compression library I'm using).

Edit2: It was caused by a bugged compression library after all. I switched to DotNetZip and no longer run into any issues.

Last edited:
Level 4
It seems items and units added to shops using the "Neutral Building - Add Unit/Item Type" actions (or AddUnitToStock/AddItemToStock functions) can't parse color strings in their primary tooltips, the text remains white no matter what, though they work fine in the extended tooltips. This issue does not seem to occur on items/units that are given to a shop in the object editor itself, it's only additions at runtime that have this issue.

Level 24
Hexing a kodo that has eaten a bear will not give bear back.
Twitch

Editor stuff:
When you have more than 12+ terrain tiles you sometimes can't select certain tilesets anymore.
Same goes for units, rock golem level 6 is often unpickable.
Typing in unit names seems to fix it sometimes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 5

Lua maps load much faster than JASS ones. So it is probably because war3 transpile JASS to Lua, and the process takes time.

Level 19
I couldn't find these in this thread:
  • Showing/hiding multiboards after destroying them will crash the game. Previously (specifically 1.26), it would do nothing which means it will break maps that rely on that (even though they probably shouldn't). See my next post
  • Trigger editor looks weird when no map is loaded
    upload_2019-10-24_22-12-23.png
Edit: Forgot to mention, the trigger editor seems much slower than it used to be in some regards - just moving to the next or previous action in a trigger (with the arrow keys) takes around a second.
Creating/pasting a trigger has an even bigger delay.
Both were instant, if I recall correctly

Pasting lots of actions works fine, and is faster than it was from what I remember, though it does have flashing problems sometimes

Last edited:
Level 19
Have you tried both x86 and x86_x64 versions?
I tried both and there weren't any noticeable differences
For older maps, I guess triggers have to be fixed if they're pure JASS. If not, try saving the map on the current game version.
The solution would be to hide the multiboard if you don't want to see it and make sure you don't show/hide a destroyed multiboard.
Older maps that don't take that into account will likely crash, regardless of which version they were saved in (even if it was done through GUI).

See my next post

Last edited:

Eye

Eye

Level 2
Showing/hiding multiboards after destroying them will crash the game. Previously (specifically 1.26), it would do nothing which means it will break maps that rely on that (even though they probably shouldn't)
Doesn't crash for me on 126 or 131.

Level 18
I know it's early but in about 20 years there will be a bug where
Lua:
os.time()
returns nil. Tried on both 32-bit and 64-bit.

EDIT: The bug will actually crash the thread, not return nil. As a workaround, you can use the following code:
Lua:
do
    local osTime = os.time
    os.time = function()
        local co = coroutine.create(osTime)
        local success, now = coroutine.resume(co)
        if success then
            return now
        end
        return nil
    end
end

Last edited:

Wrda

Spell Reviewer
Level 25
They just don't work properly anymore.
Cast Backswing and Cast Point are 0.00. Turn rate 0.01 is the slowest, not fastest, 3.00 is fastest.
The unit casts the spell before even turning to the cast target, but then, only the first/last or a few units get the spell cast on them depending the order when they were created.
I have never used any kind of unit indexer to do dummy spell casts on multiple units and it worked perfectly with this method.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
If you place a unit on the map in the World Editor and then add the Locust ability via the unit editor, the unit can be selected in the game.

EDIT:
Actually, it loses the Locust ability if it is referred via triggers as a variable or in a unit takes damage events.

There's a weird bug (1.31.1) related to moving categories in the trigger editor (attached video).
Apparently, after restarting the editor and the map, the bug was gone...

Attachments

• 2019-11-07 21-50-32.mp4
    1.4 MB · Views: 36
Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Custom units for a computer player (with no AI script running) with crow form (Medivh in this case) will automatically use it to get down on the ground when created through triggers in flying mode.

Note that the unit is a custom hero and the ability is also a copy of the original.

Actually, it happens even if I place the unit on the map and if it belongs to the player...

EDIT: apparently it was because I set the Stats - Duration Hero - 0.6s as the Stats - Duration Normal - 0.6s. Putting the first back to 0 made it work again.

Last edited:
Level 5
Custom units for a computer player (with no AI script running) with crow form (Medivh in this case) will automatically use it to get down on the ground when created through triggers in flying mode.

Note that the unit is a custom hero and the ability is also a copy of the original.

Actually, it happens even if I place the unit on the map and if it belongs to the player...

EDIT: apparently it was because I set the Stats - Duration Hero - 0.6s as the Stats - Duration Normal - 0.6s. Putting the first back to 0 made it work again.
Computer players always have their script running which can't be turned off. This is one of many annoying features of warcraft 3.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Computer players always have their script running which can't be turned off. This is one of many annoying features of warcraft 3.
Indeed but not as the neutral hostile player which also casts spells.
However, as mentioned, the issue was not because of the player being a computer. Now it works. It was because of an unit editor data field issue.

Level 1
Found a post-game (post-credits) wc3 1.31.1 crash which only happens on the x86_64 version, but not the x86. Attached a simple map with such a crash issue.

Just start a game with the attached map, and immediately F10 => quit mission. Upon pressing OK in the Credits screen, game crashes and you're greeted with the "unexpected error" dialog.

Attachments

• x86_64 credits crash.w3x
    16.2 KB · Views: 26
Level 3
You can no longer seem to use imported images to overwrite the Minimap image. The function to increase a units base damage also no longer seems to work, and the function to change an abilities extended tooltip also no longer seems to work.

Hopefully he can help me fix this problem then. Since right now my options are either a broken minimap or a minimap so small you need a magnifying glass to see whats going on.
Can you send me the picture you're trying to have as a minimap?

EDIT: Still works fine for me. Surely you're doing something wrong, like messing up the dimensions. It needs to be 256x256. Also make sure that you haven't put .tga twice. Here's a map saved with the most recent editor. Nothing has been done to this map other than importing a .tga image in 256x256 and naming it war3mapMap.tga.

Attachments

• MiniMap.w3m
    181.1 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Level 23
I am not sure if we are allowed to post bugs that existed pre-1.30 but that have never been fixed before.
Anyway, here are two related to custom campaigns.

1) For transition type campaigns (like Rexxar campaign), if the name of the campaign exceeds a certain length, then it causes bugs in game (I think related to game cache, but I forget the exact bugs).

2) For the difficulty setting of custom campaigns, the difficulty will reset to whichever difficulty the normal wc3 campaign is currently set to (so you are forced to choose the difficulty before starting each mission).