• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft III - Patch 1.30.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 16
Why aren't the triggered sounds playing?

I noticed this as well. Seems like some sounds don't play now, for whatever reason.

An example of this is in Survival Chaos, when you train a hero, a global sound is supposed to play, notifying all the other players, but it doesn't seem to do that anymore (or, at least, not always)

I've had issues with custom sounds and music not playing. Some work and others don't. The issues were present before all the new patches but became more prevalent in patch 1.29 I think? (when they introduced the new sound engine). I did lots of research into this and I found the problem was caused by the following:

1. Special characters in the filename. ! , @ ( ) and so on.
2. Audio file's meta data (artist name, track number, etc.). I suspect it might have specifically been the special characters within the meta data?

To fix my problem, I rename my files with simple letters and spaces and remove all meta data. Meta data removal can be quickly done by encoding files without writing meta data with some programs like LameXP. I haven't had any issues with custom sounds since. Will inform if I do encounter an exception. Have only tested on client 1.30 and below

Other things to try are using constant bit rate for .mp3 files instead of variable bit rate. This may or may not help.

Can someone flag this as it may help Blizzard diagnose the issue with their sounds.

Last edited:
Is it possible that only 3d-sounds are affected? Can we do anything to fix the problem with the not working sounds?
No, also normal sounds are affected. We fixed a couple of issues in the Gnoll Campaign by moving the Sound - Play Sound trigger action after a 1.5-second wait. I do not know if placing waits in triggers helps in other cases.

Level 18
looks like i need to reinstall the PTR cuz i have uninstall the warcraft 3 but for some particular reason the goddamn app is still show up at the control panel

edit: sigh, im afraid what my bro said was true
this thing became a virus

edit 2: i've done it, all instruction outsiderxe said i've followed except the last one which is crazy

also is Warcraft 3 took long enough to download?

Last edited:
Level 2
Not a bug, but the "worldeditstrings.txt" file contains a lot of typos in the Korean language.

For "WESTRING_UE_ATTACKTYPE_SPELLS", it has been translated like "WESTRING_UE_ATTACKTYPE_MAGIC".

"WESTRING_SUBANIMTYPE_SPIKED" has been translated as "spiked hair".

"WESTRING_SUBANIMTYPE_SECOND" has been translated as "seconds of time", not the second one.

If these things continue this way, users using Korean may be confused. :(

Level 3
I cannot remove PTR using the standard uninstaller either.

Yes I had the exact same problem.
It all started with the Windows 10 Version 1803 - Build KB4457128 update.
After that Windows build update, the PTR would not work and I would be getting an "Error 0".

So I decided to uninstall the PTR and guess what? It conflicted with the main Warcraft 3 application.
Therefore, the main Warcraft 3 application would not work anymore and I was also not able to uninstall it from the control panel.
I had to use the program CCleaner to remove it from my computer.

After that I felt my computer considerably slower so I re-installed Windows 10.

By the way, the PTR and the main Warcraft 3 application were installed in completely different folders from the beginning and this issue still occured.

Level 6
In my case, I only had the PTR installed. Then, 1.30.1 was released so wanted to remove it and install the standard version. Didn't work, the uninstaller just got stuck.

I installed the standard version without removing the PTR and seemed to work fine.

Level 7
I looked at the imported mp3 sound datas again. In the sound editor the informations about the mp3 datas (double klick the data) are now unknown. And the time lengths of the datas are completely wrong. The editor seems not to consider them as mp3 datas anymore. And so they can not be played anymore. So what would a map maker have to do now? Must the paths in the import manager be changed to something new? Or must the mp3 sound datas be imported again? Before patch 1.30 all imported sound datas were working perfectly. I have read somewhere that the sound data types and the sound system were changed in 1.30. So i assume that this is causing all the issues with the wc3 standard sounds and the old imported mp3 sounds. Here is an example map with affected imported mp3 sounds (musics):
Labyrinth of Nightmare (v7)

Are you installing the PTR and standard clients to the same directory?
I use two separate folders, actually even have separate WINEPREFIXes.

I've tried reinstalling with PTR and latest patch several times to no success. The 1.28 patch was the latest that worked.

Is there anything else I can provide to you that may help identifying the issue?

Is this issue occurring on install or launch?
Yes, the issue persists on both new installs and launches. It's always the same result.

I tried adding a lot of variations (-nativefullscr, -opengl, -window) but no success, always resulting in the same non-working result.

Edit:
To specify:

Launching NON-PTR using the Launcher-Command:

Logs/War3Log.txt --> Empty
Errors/ --> Whole directory empty

There is a window launching, but no content inside (stays black, sometimes weird green lines).

Top diplays 100% CPU usage from a "Warcraft" process.

Last edited:
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/bnet/topic/20768617267#post-1

Are you running Linux? Blizzard doesn't actively support that OS.
Yep, I'm running it on Linux. I'm aware Blizzard doesn't officially support the OS but I've heard that openGL doesn't even work on windows for latest patches anymore.
There are several people on both Windows and Linux not being able to play the game anymore with openGL which is the only option for some people.

That is probably my issue as well, I am not quite sure but it looks like it since the game starts but there is nothing else I can see.

Guys i am trying to install warcraft 3 from version 1.21...I upgrade to 1.26 or 1.27 succesufully using wc3 version switcher.

My cd keys are original and they work well. But when i login to bnet i download very small patch and then it sends me to launcher which always get stuck.
Also i tried download manually launcher and same things happens .

I did it several times,i literally unnistaled game,used search option to delete from local users-app data,even cleaned temp folder xD....

Anyone knows how to install a game with no problems to 1.30 latest patch???

P.S why warcraft 3 can not be found in ,,classic game,, on us blizzard page ?

New info : I succesfully installed using official installer app. When runing game gives me error
0NF8MEE.jpg

Last edited:
There are several people on both Windows and Linux not being able to play the game anymore with openGL which is the only option for some people.

That is probably my issue as well, I am not quite sure but it looks like it since the game starts but there is nothing else I can see.

Why is OpenGL the only option for some? Do you mean the game does not run without OpenGL, a performance related issue, or something else?

I upgrade to 1.26 or 1.27 succesufully using wc3 version switcher.

I'm not sure what the program is doing in it's process but it's not software we support. It's possible the install is bad.

P.S why warcraft 3 can not be found in ,,classic game,, on us blizzard page ?

It is, located here: https://us.battle.net/account/download/ Make sure you're logged in.

Level 6
Why is OpenGL the only option for some? Do you mean the game does not run without OpenGL, a performance related issue, or something else?

I'm not sure what the program is doing in it's process but it's not software we support. It's possible the install is bad.

It is, located here: https://us.battle.net/account/download/ Make sure you're logged in.

Regarding OpenGL, It is/was the only option for some mostly because there was no mouse delay. Others because they use Linux.

Level 6
-nativefullscr is a supported feature, provides 200+ FPS, and near perfect sync between hardware and software cursors: https://www.hiveworkshop.com/attachments/nativefullscr-gif.305493/

Yes, but nativefullscreen was bugged in previous version ;).

I'm using nativefullscreen myself now and it's going good. I still feel the mouse is not 100% good but I have to make more tests.

The bad thing is the background sound being played while minimized and the really slow transition between desktop and w3 when alt+tab.

For Linux it's the only way how to play Warcraft 3 afaik. Plus some people have experienced weird mouse issues when playing without OpenGL that even -nativefullscr does not seem to fix.

Is there a reason why support has been dropped? Can it be reverted to support OpenGL again? If that's not possible you destroyed the game for me and many more people.

Level 23
Hi, I thought this would get fixed in 1.30.1, but it didn't.
All hero models in the map attached don't show and a good bunch of the music doesn't play (there should be one every round).
This map used to work totally fine.

e: And another map with the same issue. Only the shaodws are showing
QccCsUo.png

Attachments

• Robo Arena v1.2 FIX.w3x
    5.9 MB · Views: 138
  • Robot_Unicorn_Attack_v0.4_Prot.w3x
    3.2 MB · Views: 147
Last edited:
Level 16
Is it possible that only 3d-sounds are affected? Can we do anything to fix the problem with the not working sounds?
Imported mp3 sound datas also don't work anymore. I had never problems with this before the actual patch.
What do you exactly mean?

Have you guys tried renaming your imported sounds with plain simple letters and removing ALL metadata? Meta data is the information found when you right click and select properties and select the "Details" tab. To assist Blizzard in fixing the issue, try doing what I suggested to help confirm the root problem.

See this post: Warcraft III - Patch 1.30.1

Hi, I thought this would get fixed in 1.30.1, but it didn't.
All hero models in the map attached don't show and a good bunch of the music doesn't play (there should be one every round).
This map used to work totally fine.

e: And another map with the same issue. Only the shaodws are showing
QccCsUo.png

I wonder if this is connected to custom sounds not working? If the new CASC filesystem isn't handling bad characters and Meta data, perhaps this would cause issues with models too? If you're the owner of this map, try renaming the models, removing any meta data then updating the Unit with the new model. If this fixes the problem, please update your post and let Kam or myself know.

@Kam Please take a look at this as a potential cause?

Last edited:
Level 7
Have you guys tried renaming your imported sounds with plain simple letters and removing ALL metadata? Meta data is the information found when you right click and select properties and select the "Details" tab. To assist Blizzard in fixing the issue, try doing what I suggested to help confirm the root problem.

See this post: Warcraft III - Patch 1.30.1

I wonder if this is connected to custom sounds not working? If the new CASC filesystem isn't handling bad characters and Meta data, perhaps this would cause issues with models too? If you're the owner of this map, try renaming the models, removing any meta data then updating the Unit with the new model. If this fixes the problem, please update your post and let Kam or myself know.

@Kam Please take a look at this as a potential cause?
And i need a specific program to remove these metadatas? I just right clicked on the mp3 and then on attributes and then i just removed the metadatas with the mouse. Do i really need a program to do that?

Level 16
And i need a specific program to remove these metadatas? I just right clicked on the mp3 and then on attributes and then i just removed the metadatas with the mouse. Do i really need a program to do that?

I haven't tried without a program, I simply use a program for speed and convenience but I don't see why you cant just manually do it. Basically any editable field should be empty for the test.

To show you what needs to be deleted, see below. There's also "Origin" info not shown in the picture that would also need to be deleted

music-meta-data-png.306705

Attachments

• Music Meta Data.png
    Music Meta Data.png
    40.3 KB · Views: 711
Level 7
I haven't tried without a program, I simply use a program for speed and convenience but I don't see why you cant just manually do it. Basically any editable field should be empty for the test.

To show you what needs to be deleted, see below. There's also "Origin" info not shown in the picture that would also need to be deleted

Is it necessary that the Bit rate is 192kbps? My mp3 data has 128 kBit/s. There is also always a preview picture attached to the song. But there is no possibility to remove it.

Level 7

It is still not working, do you have an idea what could be wrong with the data? I am just trying to upload here one of the mp3 datas but it is always canceled after a while. Are there new requirements for imported mp3 datas now?

Level 16
It is still not working, do you have an idea what could be wrong with the data? I am just trying to upload here one of the mp3 datas but it is always canceled after a while.

Can you give me the original sound file that isn't playing in game? I want to see if it works on my computer, otherwise see if I can get it to work.

Are there new requirements for imported mp3 datas now?

No. I'm only asking you to do this to potentially get you up and running and to diagnose the root problem.

Edit: I see you pmed me. I'll look at the sound files when I get home from work.

Last edited:
Level 7
Can you give me the original sound file that isn't playing in game? I want to see if it works on my computer, otherwise see if I can get it to work.

No. I'm only asking you to do this to potentially get you up and running and to diagnose the root problem.

Edit: I see you pmed me. I'll look at the sound files when I get home from work.
I could unfortunately not upload the mp3 data alone here, the upload is always canceled after a while and i get an error message. But i have sent you a link with my map with the mp3 datas. The datas were working before 1.30, after that patch they don't play anymore. I link my map with the mp3 datas here too now:

Level 16
The results are in. In short, your files don't work but I managed to modify your sounds to work properly by removing the meta data. See the below picture.

imported-sounds-test-results-png.306707

the-ancient-city-meta-data-png.306709

I created several versions of the file to determine what exactly was causing them to not work. Unfortunately my results are a little contradictory so I feel this doesn't completely answer the problem.

Conclusion

Meta data breaks the audio.
The Bitrate type, as in variable, constant or average, made no difference

Notes:

- My re-encoding process would remove all meta data with the exception of "...Meta Untouched". I can confirm this still however removed the .mp3 album art.
- Manually removing the data would make the audio work, BUT only if ALL meta data is removed. This is strange because as mentioned above, 1 of the songs worked with meta data....? These manual changes ONLY modified meta data and did not involve any re-encoding of the the file.
- Adding special characters DID NOT break a working audio file. Example: war3mapImported\The Ancient City Constant Bitrate No Meta!().mp3 would still work.

Environment Information

- I am using client 1.30.1
- I use Audacity to re-encode the files. It has an option to remove meta data upon saving (including album art)
- I use Mp3Tag to check if album art is present in a music file. Mp3tag - Download
- Mp3Tag was also used to perform the manual removal of meta data.
- Testing if sounds were playable was performed in the World Editor sound editor.

I could unfortunately not upload the mp3 data alone here, the upload is always canceled after a while and i get an error message. But i have sent you a link with my map with the mp3 datas. The datas were working before 1.30, after that patch they don't play anymore. I link my map with the mp3 datas here too now:
I won't fix your map for you, but please download Audacity to fix it yourself. Simply open your .mp3 and export it as another .mp3. You will see a meta data windows and you can select "Clear" before saving the file.

Audacity: Audacity ® | Free, open source, cross-platform audio software for multi-track recording and editing.

As for everyone else, we now know how to get our custom sounds working. For existing maps with no plans of an update, we'll just need to wait for Blizzard to fix the underlying problem with the meta data.

Attachments

• Imported Sounds Test Results.png
    Imported Sounds Test Results.png
    45.8 KB · Views: 645
  • The ANcient City Meta Data.png
    The ANcient City Meta Data.png
    122.8 KB · Views: 698
Last edited:
Level 7
I won't fix your map for you, but please download Audacity to fix it yourself. Simply open your .mp3 and export it as another .mp3. You will see a meta data windows and you can select "Clear" before saving the file.

Audacity: Audacity ® | Free, open source, cross-platform audio software for multi-track recording and editing.

As for everyone else, we now know how to get our custom sounds working. For existing maps with no plans of an update, we'll just need to wait for Blizzard to fix the underlying problem with the meta data.
Ok, Thanks! I will try to remove all meta datas. I will answer then if i was successful.

Unfortunately i do not have warcraft 3 listen in games . I dont need PTR , i need just regular installer.I dont know whats the issue...Long ago i purchased wc3...Maybe thats why it doesnt exist anymore?

I deleted apps,temp,programdata etc.Nothing helps ....
I was loggedin ...

I donnt know anything about coding programing to provide more info...But i think blizzard classic team should at least solve installing issue for windows at least...

atLfox9.jpg

Unfortunately i do not have warcraft 3 listen in games . I dont need PTR , i need just regular installer.I dont know whats the issue...Long ago i purchased wc3...Maybe thats why it doesnt exist anymore?

I deleted apps,temp,programdata etc.Nothing helps ....
I was loggedin ...

I donnt know anything about coding programing to provide more info...But i think blizzard classic team should at least solve installing issue for windows at least...

Try the direct link?

Edit: Changed locale in link to enUS.

Last edited:

pyf

pyf

Level 32
He should still first and foremost make sure that he previously attached his legally bought valid CD-Keys to his Battle.net account anyway imho.

After that, when logged, the online installers should be visible in the download page.

Status
Not open for further replies.