1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Group up and create a Warcraft hero based on a member of the Hive and win up to 100 rep and a rank icon. Enter the team contest now!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Music Contest #8 Results are out! Congratulate the creators of Hive's coolest soundtracks!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. The results for Mini-Mapping Contest #14 is up! Congratulate the winners here!
    Dismiss Notice

[+100 Rep] Team Contest - Hive Member

Discussion in 'The Arena' started by IcemanBo, Nov 5, 2017.

1. IcemanBo

IcemanBo

Code Moderator

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hive Member

Create a warcraft hero, based on a hive member!

Let the Warcraft universe feel the power of The Hive and send our fellow brothers into the battle of storm, earth and fire. Shape a new son, give him the right looks and arm him with a unique spell to rule the battlefield for our good! Heed my call!

Theme Criteria:

The goal is to create a hero based on a hive user. Here are possible user associations that helps to define how the model, icons, and spell can look like:

Association
    Example
    Explanation
    [​IMG] General Frank's avatar lets us associate him with a tank, possibly with a special shooting ability.
    Name
    Murlocologist
    Murlocologist could be interpreted as a murloc themed hero.
    Appearance
    Link 1 2 3
    Dr Super Good is actively promoting SC II, so I'm relating SC II with him. It would be possible to bring a SC II unit into the warcraft world to symbolize that.

Basically, as long as the association is not blatantly disrespectful and makes some logical sense, you are free with your imagination.
    The technical criteria for the entry is:
    • 1 Model
    • 1 Spell
      Readme
      You may, but don't have to create one extra co-ability next to the main spell if it's required for your concept. In case a second ability is used, it's extend should be kept at a minimum, and it should exclusivly serve the main spell's effect, instead of only having some synergy.
    • 3 Icons
      • Hero Portrait
      • Spell Icon (symbolizes the spell effect alone)
      • Spell Icon (symbolizes the spell in usage of the hero, example Chain Lightning)
        Readme
        Two icons featuring the spell are regarded as two different variations/versions of one same spell. In fact they are representing two approaches to drawing the spell - abstract and figurative.
        Copy pasting elements from one icon into another is not allowed, they need to be all drawn from bottom to top.

Team Criteria:
    • Defining only yourself as team is not allowed.
      A team is defined by 3 members, respectively responsible for: Model, Icons, Code
    • Work sharing inside a team is allowed. That means it's legitimate to share work, to make edits, and to support each other in what ever way.
    Make a post in the thread to tell what aspect you want to be responsible for, and find partners to build a team. You may join the contest at any time, until 10 days before the contest ends! (1st December 2017)

[​IMG]

There are general team rules, which have to be followed by everyone, and there are aspect-related rules, which are mostly only relevant for the 2D-, 3D-, Code expert respectively.

Team related rules:
    • Submissions must follow the contest theme.
    • Submissions must follow the General Resource Rules.
    • Submissions may not be started / made before the official launch of the contest.
    • The chosen hive user to create must have at least 100 forum posts. You can ask in thread for exceptions.
    • Teamwork with non-team members is not allowed.
    • Each team must post work in progress in the contest thread before the deadline. It should be made clear that the team works on each aspect (Model, Icons, Spell). 2 WIPs from each category is required!
    • The final entry must be posted before the deadline in this thread using a demo/test map. The post should be a little presentation of the hero, and must link to all submitted components of the hero (link to Model, Icons, Spell in the resource section).
    • The test map's name should be "<team> + <hero name>" and it must have decent testing conditions. Which means the user can test various aspects and behavior of the spell/code under certain conditions without too much of effort. For example cliffs/water/trees might be provided already in a spell demonstration, or chat commands might be given as well.
    • Judges may not participate.
    Category Rules

Model related rules:

• Submission must follow Model Submission Rules.
    • Model must contain these animations:
      - Stand
      - Attack
      - Walk
      - Death
    • Model may contain multiple animations.
    • The model must be posted before the deadline in the models section.
      The resource description must make it clear it is an entry from the respective contest.

Icon related rules:

• Submission must follow Icon Submission Rules.
    • Only freehand work is accepted. CnPs, in-game screenshot edits, excessive filter-work, trace-overs or heavy referencing existing artwork are not permitted.
    • Minimum canvas size of the WIP must be 256 x 256 pixels.
    • The icons must be posted before the deadline in the icon section.
      The resource description must make it clear it is an entry for the respective contest.
    Code related rules:

• Submission must follow the Spell Submission Rules / Jass Submission Rules respectivly.
    • The use of enhancing systems is permitted as long as their contribution is not the major aspect of the final entry. Clarification matters on certain libraries/snippets should be discussed with judges in the contest thread, in case of uncertainty.
    • Third party programs, except Jass New Gen Pack or WEX, are not allowed. Using WurstScript might be accepted, as well, but should be mentioned in the contest thread to ensure a proper judgement set.
    • The spell must be posted before the deadline in the respective resource section.
      • The resource description must make it clear it is an entry from the respective contest.
      • The submission must be testable with the standard WorldEditor.

Breaking any of these rules may lead to punishment in the judgement score, up to disqualification from the contest, depending on the weight of the issue.
    In case of doubts towards a certain rule or the urge to discuss something related, you are very encouraged to post in the contest thread so others and judges may help with sorting it out.

[​IMG]
    • First Place: 100 reputation points + Special Rank Icon on the hive
    • Second Place: 65 reputation points
    • Third Place: 40 reputation points
    • Remaining entries: 10 reputation points
    • Judge: 10 reputation points
    All winning teams will receive an award icon, representing the winning entry.​

[​IMG]
    • General Frank (Model)
    • The Panda (Icons)
    • Cokemonkey11 (Spell)

Judging Criteria

Model

Mesh How clean and well shaped is the mesh? Is it balanced and how well is the wrap made? /10
    Animations How quality and smooth are the model's animations? How effective are they? How fitting are they? /10
    Texture How effective is the texture? How well is it applied to mesh? How does it look aesthetically? Is it clean, understandable and logical? /10
    Concept How creative and unique is the concept? Does it fit the chosen theme? /10
    Effects Does model feature special effects like particle emitters or ribbons? How well do they contribute to overall quality of model? /5
    Mechanics How well does the model works within in-game environment regarding its appearance, its filesize, does it feature sounds, does it feature necessary attachment points? /5
    /50

Icon

Blizzard style Is the style similar to standard icons? /10
    Concept How qualitative is the concept, how unexpected and creative is the idea? Originality and uniqueness of icons are judged. How fitting are icons for model/spell? /25
    Technical note Quality of: color, composition, expressiveness, shape, definition, sharpness, clarity, shading, realism, proportions, rendering, details, materials. /65
    /100

Code

<Here> is a more detailed explanation of what Cokemonkey does look for!

Coding Is the skill bug- and leak-free? Does it support multiple instances? Is there a good documentation and are there enough configurable variables to fit the needs of different user? Does it cause performance issues upon effect? Is the code fitting for a decent spell submission, or is it too simple? /20
    Concept Is it unique? How creatively was the idea executed and is it fitting the contest theme? /10
    Visuals How does the whole spell procedure look? Is it overloaded with special effects? How explanatory is the tooltip/description of its functionality? /10
    /40

Results Calculation
    Judgement score is defined like:
    • Model: 40%
    • Icon: 30%
    • Code: 30%
    Final team score is defined like:
    • Judgement: 70%
    • Poll: 30%
    JudgementScore = (40*Reached_Model_Percentage) + (30*Reached_Icon_Percentage) + (30*Reached_Code_Percentage)

FinalScore = (30*PollVotes/POLL_VOTES_TOTAL) + (70*JudgeScore/100)

[​IMG]

The contest shall begin on 10th November 2017 and conclude on 10th December 2017 GMT (day is included).

===============================================

Applied moderators: @Murlocologist , @IcemanBo

:fp: The Poll | Results

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017 at 6:48 AM
  2. IcemanBo

IcemanBo

Code Moderator

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    [​IMG]

Make a post in thread to state in which team you want to be!

Team name
    Model
    Icons
    Spell
    WIPs
    Entry
    DREAM TEAM
    Zul'Aman was an Inside Job
    Model 1 2
    JustAZbound
    Alliance
    Model 1 2
    Code 1
    Team Solid
    Scourge
    <empty>
    Sentinel
    AboveMiniLucent

Interested contestants:

Model:
    Icon:

Spell:

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017 at 8:03 PM
  3. PrinceYaser

PrinceYaser

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Holy shit! I love this contest! However, I can't participate. Can't wait to see the results.

Good luck, everyone! :)

4. MiniMage

MiniMage

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    This is pretty amazing. I'd love to be a target for emulation. :eek:
    I'd join this contest, I think.

5. Stefan.K

Stefan.K

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    This theme contest is amazing! I'd love to participate even though I don't have a lot of free time for modeling. I'll keep an eye on this.

6. Daffa the Mage

Daffa the Mage

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    A 3 person team contest...
    Seems interesting :)

I'm not sure I will enter and assemble a team given my schedule, but I do love to see the end results.

7. Svetli

Svetli

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Wow, nice. Who will make a hero of me? :D

8. The Panda

The Panda

2D Art Reviewer

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Looks cool, not sure if i will join but if you need a icon judge let me know.

9. Devine

Devine

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    <-------------- White Dicky Lady Warcraft (Devina)

I will pay like a king.

10. Cokemonkey11

Cokemonkey11

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Wurst allowed?

Also I'm happy for someone to create a Cokemonkey11

11. Apheraz Lucent

Apheraz Lucent

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Signing up for icons - love the idea, and teamed stuff works fantastic for me.

12. Emperor Lucas II

Emperor Lucas II

Resources:
    Resources:
    It would be just too easy...
    :^)

13. IcemanBo

IcemanBo

Code Moderator

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Minimage, I guess you wanted to act as modeler. Updated contestant list. : )

I would like to allow Wurst, but I won't judge it. If you're interested and want to particpate with Wurst, then we need to find a person who does help out.

14. Nowow

Nowow

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    With vJASS spells? :p

I want to participate but school is crazy at the moment... Can sign as a maybe on code, see how things go.

15. Apheraz Lucent

Apheraz Lucent

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    One model, one spell, one hero icon and two icons of the same spell btw?
    Seems a bit off.

16. Cokemonkey11

Cokemonkey11

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    > I would like to allow Wurst, but I won't judge it. If you're interested and want to particpate with Wurst, then we need to find a person who does help out.

You realize that doesn't make any sense, right? Even if the onus of finding a judge should be on me (it shouldn't), you'll still find it impossible to get fair judging.

17. DD_legionTN

DD_legionTN

Resources:
    Resources:
    This is a pretty interesting contest, I would like to sign up as coder.

By the way, I wonder how people gonna imagine me as a hero...

18. Apheraz Lucent

Apheraz Lucent

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    There's a lot of "old-school" people to take as inspiration for the hero selection tho.

Pharaoh_, Pyritie, Elenai, Kimbo, Dionesiist, Lioness, ... list goes on.

19. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Yaaa I am an example!

Now if only this was StarCraft II...

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  20. Hayate

Hayate

Resources: