1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Icon/Model/Spell Team Contest - Results[+100 REP]

Discussion in 'Contest Archive' started by IcemanBo, Feb 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Now that I've had a chance to cool down, I can respond. First off, thanks to our Hosts (IcemanBo & Murlocologist) as well as our hard-working Judges (Cokemonkey11, The Panda, & General Frank) for making this successful Contest happen!

@Cokemonkey11
    Ha! Glad to be of service. :p *tips hat*

Coming from you, I consider that high praise indeed. I'm glad to have impressed.

It's been a while, I don't remember what I did in terms of commenting... Were there even any comments, lol?

Definitely the trade-off. Looking back, if I wasn't so dead-set on the "dudes running away thing" (which, surprise surprise, didn't actually work almost at all), I should have just gone with a modified "Cyclone Aura" from the Tornado (afflicted enemies ended up rooted more often than not anyway). Then I would've had even less lines of code! ; )

Yeaaaah... This was a real problem I had with it. I really kinda mis-mashed a bunch of concepts together, and try though I might it still kinda shows. Thanks.

Looking at your document, I was struck by a few things:
    - There were bugs?
    - How could I have improved in the Performance category? I'm not sure I'd claim perfection, but using what amounts to standard OE abilities with a few lines of code doesn't leave much room for 'bad performance', does it?
    - "Spell clearly not possible without scripts"? LOL. You are too kind. I literally, trivially combined existing OE capabilities into a single ability. I mean that was exactly what I did. But thank you? : )
    - "Suitable for spell submission"? Again, a bit of lol; spells like this one (like all the ones I make) are perfect examples (IMO) of "stuff you shouldn't upload to the spell section". I only did it because the Contest required it, and I'm kinda ashamed about it, honestly. How so?
    - Re: the Tooltip... Was it simply too much? I was afraid about that; I put my best wordsmithing into making it meaningful yet succinct, but I figured (as aforementioned, the 'design bloat') there was simply too much going on for one tooltip to reasonably explain.

~~~

Anyway, thanks again for the Judging! As a pseudo-GUI/OE hackjob "Coder", I really didn't feel ostracized or downgraded for my choice of tools. Molto béne!

2. Chaosy

Chaosy

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Also, for the record would be great to see similar things in the future. I think the team thing makes it way more interesting.

3. RED BARON

RED BARON

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Yea, and it helps with motivating each other. (Although in the same vain, when future team contests are held, perhaps avoid running them at the same time as a major holiday event, as that part made coordination somewhat troubled).

4. Direfury

Direfury

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    More time should also be allowed for teambuilding. If you get a bad teammate, and you weren't aware of your incompatibility, it'll sink the both of you.

5. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Give us a concrete suggestion. How long did we have in *this* Contest for "team-building", and how much more do you think would be necessary?

6. Chaosy

Chaosy

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Honestly, I feel like it was more than enough.
    If are a long time member you probably know a guy or two that you do get along with so preventing joining someone you absolutely hate is pretty small.
    And even if it does happen, so what? it takes 1-2 days to create a submission at most. True I did not go with something insanely complicated for my spell, but point is that it is not a huge time investment. I could easily make 10 spell entries in a given contest if I had the motivation.

Maybe models/icons are crazy time consuming, not my area of expertise. So my bad in that case.

7. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    I think it all stems from communication, good or bad. No matter who you team up with, you got to exercise invaluable skills in communication to make it work.

Have a frank, straightforward discussion, right from the very outset; set out expectations, goals and desires. Figure out the nitty-gritty; time zones, preferred methods of communication (pm, discord, email, etc), when you're awake/modding/etc.

Honestly you should even talk about how to talk about things; who's going to take charge, who's going to suggest ideas, who's going to critique, etc. That's meta but it's important too.

8. Chaosy

Chaosy

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    We never did that. We just worked standalone with some discussion over hive PMs.
    We gave some feedback, but we had no influence from each other.

I decided on my spell, Misha decided on the model. Hayate did the icons once he got visual references of the final products.

The one thing we actually talked about was who we wanted to portray.

9. KILLCIDE

KILLCIDE

Administrator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Direfury, Mr.Goblin, and I were in CONSTANT communication with each other. We had discussions on how the model and icon should look, agreed / disagreed on spell concepts, and posted WIPs and gave suggestions. The only time we didn't talk was when Mr.Goblin was out of town, but even then, Direfury and I still bounced ideas off each other for the entry.

10. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Well, if it worked, then it worked. It sounds like there weren't too many contentious personalities. So that's good.

Great! I'm sure it was a big help.

11. Chaosy

Chaosy

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    At any rate it shows that insane complications not required, I am not saying it is optimal. But if constant communication is not fun for you, it is not needed for a decent submission.

12. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Sure... I wasn't saying anything 'insane' like CONSTANTLY STALK EACH OTHER'S PUBLIC FEEDS TO DETECT ANY SIGNS OF LIFE. ; ) But good communication (which includes listening & silence as well as all the talking stuff I mentioned above) can make anything, any relationship, better. It can take a bad relationship & make it good, or a good relationship & make it better.

Once again, I'm glad you found something that works for you.

13. Chaosy

Chaosy

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    My intention was not to sell our 'superior' tactic, just pointing out that a longer deadline is not needed to enter.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
  14. Cokemonkey11

Cokemonkey11

Wurst Reviewer

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    There were a couple of requests for comments in this thread about about my comments on coding/judgment criteria.

I consider it my responsibility to respond to some reasonable number of requests but I can't start a dialog with each and every subcomment, and I don't think this thread is necessarily the best place for it. With that in mind, can I suggest you guys (KILLCIDE and kybr1o):

* send me a PM requesting a comment regarding the judgment
    * decide at what level we should be discussing (do you fundamentally disagree with all my judgment/hate everything I wrote? Or do a few of my comments stand out as concerning/interesting?)
    * If it's the latter, pick 2-3 topics you think will have the most value discussing. Value can mean: clarifies the most, might be the biggest misunderstanding, has learning points for the whole community, might be the source of a bad score, etc.
    * Ask pointed questions that I can respond to and keep the SNR high
    * Make a note about how public you'd like our conversation to be. If I find it worthwhile, are you happy for me to write a blog/tutorial about our learning outcomes? If it turns out I made a mistake, are you happy for me to announce that in this thread?

Thanks! And sorry for the annoying process. It really is because "I can't answer everything" :)

15. Brambleclaw

Brambleclaw

Resources:
    Resources:
    HOW LONG UNTIL DREAM TEAM MAKE A SPLATOON MOD?
    !!!!

16. PROXY

PROXY

3D Modeling Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    Kongratz boys and girls, this contest was much fun and I'm so hyped that we got so many participants. Much love to the judges too. You de best <3

17. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    (What is "SNR"?)

For once I don't actually mind what you are requesting, and will probably do so (in part because I didn't have much to say). However, to the bolded section: I'm mostly just gonna point out that in the history of never has that been a thing. i.e. Nearly every Contest 'results' thread was filled with that very thing; contestants & Judges hashing out differences, in-thread. Why do you feel this situation is any different?

The public nature of the discussion is a part of it... Heck, even if no one responds, being able to publicly voice my thoughts on the Judging is invaluable to me as a Contestant. The only reason I'd consider PMing the Judges instead is if I, oh I dunno, have put off responding for 1 calendar year & the thread is closed... *cough*. Just as a hypothetical example. >_>

18. Chaosy

Chaosy

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    On the other hand..
    I have never seen a contestant given a higher score after arguing with the judge, so what's the point?
    Questions and such are obviously fine.

19. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Just because it's never happened (and are you sure about that?), doesn't mean it won't.

Also, I try my best not to 'argue' with the Judges; I'm not here for heated existential debates or to cause contention; I wanna better understand the Judging, and hopefully clarify anything that the Judge might have misunderstood, especially if it affected my score.

20. IcemanBo

IcemanBo

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    I also agree this thread can serve for such things very well. If PM is prefered, it can be used, too, of course, but else it's probably mostly better to have just a short public and open talk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.