• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Icon/Model/Spell Team Contest - Hive Member[+100 Rep]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 51
What time you need for creating a resource? 1-2 weeks of working? ;) Make a conversation with your team, share information and make your work part. Responsibilities towards the team is up to all your selves. You are complaining about you need more time, while the contest month has not even started, yet.

It just seems kinda unlogical to give a contest which has increased communications problems and so on (and the model and icons for example kinda have to match more or less perfectly, so stuff depends on each other) less time then for any other normal contest out there.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
@PROXY Agreed on what time is concerned.

Also, guess who's an awesome role model to work on? :ogre_hurrhurr:

#OldAvatarsRulezz #TenthShamelessSelfPromotionInThisThread

I would opt in as both a spell coder and modeller.
I still need an icon artist and probably a concept artist for the design of the hero model.

I'm probably going to do a hacker goblin hero in honor of @Vexorian. His spell will be themed around throwing and squashing bugs.

I know that Vex has only 600 posts on Hiveworkshop (given the fact that he is pretty much inactive now and was always more active on WC3C), but his achievements with Newgen and vJass pretty much single-handedly kept the WC3 community alive, so the whole community owes him A LOT.

Also, the shameless self promoting here disgusts me. Turn off your egos for a bit and honor the people that actually deserve it.

Last edited:
pfft self promotion is healthy zwiebelchen! its a sign of self confidence! even if we are only kidding! I know I was kidding! (sorta) cough cough all hail the mur'loc god cough

vexorian never said anything to me personally on wc3c, like ever, like even once, so, I never really used much of his stuff, none of it worked for me, and documentation to get it working was never written in a way I could understand. I didn't understand coding well enough to really need much use of resources from any one like vexorian. I never did once manage to ever get any form of a Vjass triggered map to ever work on bnet, so for me, honoring vexorian would of been kind of weird. (to me his stuff was of useless[because im useless lol]). I know others may feel different about that. But I don't honor those whome I don't know and don't help me much. I personally found people like IKillForYou, MiniMage, TLI_Inferno, misha, 67chrome,Heinvers and most of all jk2Patch specifically for this tutorial here guys:

Mdlvis: model edition/creation, animation and UV Mapping

to be of much more influence on me and teaching me to 3-dimensional model edit and texture edit then vexorian ever did. for me any way. who knows? maybe hes the worlds coolest guy? i've never spoken to him my self. though i'd of loved to. (Though after I sent him about 30 un answered messages, it gets a bit weird to send any more... right?...like clingy weird)

thats just my view though, and this contests theme is ok (I think) in conjunction with self promotion. thats why its in teams, not every body is good at everything, I can make icons skins and 3d models but I cant code for jack. so teams and self promotion make sense.

I for one enjoy seeing all of your guys different forms of shameless self promotion, I want you to keep it up! =D

lets make this a fun contest

I don't see a technical issue with creating a hero based on someone from team.
otherwise it feels like voting for one self in a way.
What do you mean?

@Chaosy @Hayate @Misha = Team Alliance! : )

By the way, if a team wants a new name or color that is still free, then you can say so.

What's the expertise column in the team table?
Column 1 is team, Model, Icon, Spell is expertise.

Edit:

Wurst is only allowed at the point we have a Wurst judge. If you want to use Wurst, then we can look for one together.

Last edited:
Level 14
What do you mean?

Just my personal opinion, because I feel like if one person in the team is going to be the base hero of that team, then that member will most likely put the major lead into what his hero is going to be like, since after all, it is HIS hero. If the team made a hero of someone outside their team then that disbalance can't ocurr.

participants from basing the hero off someone from their own team
->
otherwise it feels like voting for one self in a way.
that member will most likely put the major lead into what his hero is going to be like, since after all, it is HIS hero.

I can't follow your thoughts. Contestants don't vote for their own entry. A team internaly decicdes what hero to make. Where is now a problem for who exactly if they want to make create a team member?

Level 14
->I can't follow your thoughts. Contestants don't vote for their own entry. A team internaly decicdes what hero to make. Where is now a problem for who exactly if they want to make create a team member?

It's not really a critical problem, just ethically doubtful to me, because instead of splitting the work in 3 (model/spell/icon), one person will probably be taking the lead in the entire design since the hero is himself.
Again, it's not really a problem but I personally don't think it's the proper way of working as a team. But everyone can work however they want I guess, just throwing my two cents.

@Azsure , I believe it's a team topic, and not even sure it's very bad if someone trys to push the team. If it makes it a bit better, work sharing isn't meant like someone can force other experts to work for him. But anyways.. thanks for sharing thoughts.

I request Team 1 be changed to the DREAM TEAM
Ok.

Whatever, I surrender. Zinc it is.
You surrender that you don't want to pariticpate anymore, or you don't want bother for a wurst judge?

For the coders, are we allowed to use libraries that will ease our coding paradigm (missile generation, onDamage effects, and such) or do we have to implement them ourselves?
In code rules I stated this:
  • The use of enhancing systems is permitted as long as their contribution is not the major aspect of the final entry. Clarification matters on certain libraries/snippets should be discussed with judges in the contest thread, in case of uncertainty.
Intuitivly I don't see an issue with onDamage system. Missile might be okay, too, but use your own sense -- is it only a "helping library", which is allowed, or does it actually define your spell mainly? (not allowed) If your whole spell logics is defined by configuring the missile library, then it's not a good way. ;)

Guys, we have still some open slots! Teams

Cokemonkey11

Spell Reviewer
Level 29
Well, obviously you cannot use wurst if there is no judge that knows the language.
I want to use it as well, but I realize it cannot be done as things stand.

I don't think that's true. There is precedent for having contests that allow wurst either without a wurst expert or before a wurst expert has been found.

@IcemanBo if users are being gated by this then I'm happy to submit myself as a coding judge (for wurst or anything else), even if that means I won't participate in the contest.

Level 3
I'll never ever credit General Frank when I used his models. why? He's very fucking annoying to give me zero reputation.
He can't give shit to gods like me.

Status
Not open for further replies.