1. Choose the best Old Gods themed skin at the Texturing Contest #29 - Poll!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Melee Mapping Contest #2 - Poll is up! Vote for the best competitive 1v1 map!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Please help test custom maps and more on the latest PTR!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Evolution complete! Make Darwin proud and go vote in the Techtree Contest #12 - Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Icon Contest #17 - Results are out! Step by to congratulate our winners!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. We've created the Staff Job Openings thread. We're currently in need of icon, video production, and social/multimedia positions to be filled. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

[POLL] +100 REP Team Contest - Hive Member

Discussion in 'Poll Depository' started by IcemanBo, Jan 12, 2018.

?

Which Hive Hero was created the best?

Poll closed Feb 11, 2018.
  1. Alliance - Lady Hive

9.8%
  2. Best tem 10/10 - Moose General

3.3%
  3. CHAMPIONS - Dark Paladin

6.6%
  4. DREAM TEAM - Goblin Artist

54.1%
  5. JustAZbound - Fabricator Tank

13.1%
  6. Scourge - Fel Spider

1.6%
  7. ZAWAIJ - Troll Pariah

11.5%
  1. IcemanBo

IcemanBo

JASS Class Tutor

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    PollPromotionBanner01.png

<< Download All Entries Here! >>
    AND
    << Have a look at all Hero Presentations! >>

(It's not guaranteed that the demo with all entries works 100% the same like maybe the stand alone demos.
    If there's a flaw towards a hero, please tell!
    )

• Trying to manipulate the poll in any form is not allowed.
      If you're aware of ip-sharing with any voter, for any reason, you should contact the staff.
    • Harassment towards others to influence the result will lead to punishment.
      A neutral recommendation to take part at the poll isn't problematic, though.
    • Voting for yourself is not allowed, and will lead to a malus by 5%.
    • Participating in the poll does not explicitly safe one from being disqualified.
    You are very welcome to make a short statement what you like the most, so contestants get a bit of public feedback!

[​IMG]
    • First Place: 100 reputation points + Special Rank Icon on the hive
    • Second Place: 65 reputation points
    • Third Place: 40 reputation points
    • Remaining entries: 10 reputation points
    • Judge: 10 reputation points
    All winning teams will receive an award icon, representing the winning entry.​

===============================================

:fp: Contest | Results

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  2. Daffa the Mage

Daffa the Mage

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    FINALLY!

Now to get some actually interesting stuffs rolling.

EDIT :

Is it allowed for participants vote for their rivals, and of course review their rivals entries publicly?

3. Chaosy

Chaosy

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Originally I considered to not vote, since I cannot vote for myself.. voting will lower my chances of winning.

But I changed my mind ;P

4. IcemanBo

IcemanBo

JASS Class Tutor

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Sure.

Actually yes, sure, too. But this is a bit debateable now. Please wait with it a bit, for answer.

5. Daffa the Mage

Daffa the Mage

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Alrighty, I will wait :)

I want to make my vote have a clear ground, so I need to have a review too.

6. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Great to see the Poll set up, and so quickly!

But seriously... Not ranked/preferential? Not even multi-vote?? Oh man...

7. IcemanBo

IcemanBo

JASS Class Tutor

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Sure, all is seriously. What's your problem exactly?

8. Direfury

Direfury

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Wait so, if I can't vote for myself, can I not vote for Stefan.K's team?

9. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    I've not exactly been quiet about my attempts to enhance & revolutionize Voting here at the Hive, especially for Contests. My attempts (even when supported by popular vote from contestants, in fact) have not always been respected by the administration, so I'm not entirely surprised by your response...

However, having written much on the subject over the years, in short I'll just point out that Single-Vote Polls are incredibly limited & not conducive to good, accurate & ethical Polling. There's a lot of study & science that goes into ideal Voting methods; it's a fascinating subject.

Really anything short of ranked/preferential voting (such as the excellent Schulze method or the easier-to-implement (Modified) Borda Count) actually serves to disincentivize some of the most likely & knowledgeable Voters (i.e. the contestants themselves) from Voting in the first place; this is because any non-ranked Vote they make directly contributes to their losing.

However, even though a Multi-Vote system (which the Hive has had since v2.0, at least) doesn't fix that glaring problem, it at least allows for a greater spread of points which more accurately reflects the perspectives, preferences & opinions of the Polling masses; sort of a Top 3 kind of thing that helps decentralize the Votes, helping to resolve the issues of "popularity Contests", "tactical voting", and "throwaway votes" (not to mention "not being able to decide (so I won't vote at all)").

This is all setting aside some of the Voting reforms I & others have clamored for for many years, including "Votes must have a reason", i.e. a post giving some kind of justification, which helps to alleviate anonymous/troll Voting, "popularity Contests", and thoughtless Poll results.

So much for a TL;DR...

Anyway, it's not too late. There have only been a few Votes.

It should say "Voters cannot vote for their own Team/Entry", of course.

10. Chaosy

Chaosy

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    So I am not the only one who noticed that voting as a participant is pretty stupid? hooray.

11. IcemanBo

IcemanBo

JASS Class Tutor

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    It's okay and already written correctly.
    You just alwys make impossible to debate, even there's maybe sense in some points. You're welcome not to vote, if you don't want.

12. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    I'm... Sorry, but it's simply not?
    "Yourself" is not quite as straightforward this time around, because #1 this is a Team Contest, and #2 Users (such as Direfury) might be represented in the Poll as an entry.

Now, it's silly & disingenuous of him to make #2 a real issue, but it does point out that it's technically ambiguous. A simple rewrite solves both problems.

I'm sorry, what?

"I" make it "impossible" to debate? I can respect the fact that not everyone has the time to get into discussions about these things, but you are the Host of the Contest, and a Moderator at that! It's up to you to understand the complexities of these issues & be willing to engage them, at least on some level.

I never make a post that says "this is the absolute truth: you must listen & do what I say!" I always try to open things up for conversation, discussion, and yes even debate. If you are feeling, consistently, that it is "impossible" to debate me, and my posts do nothing to 'shut down' conversation as aforementioned, I cannot understand how this is anything but a personal issue for you (and/or a personal contention with me). It might help if you posted more than a sentence or two at a time, or quoted & responded to my points specifically. Feel free to break down my arguments; I welcome it! It's a far cry better than simply copping out.

I will, time & motivation willing, be Voting in this, because I feel it's important (even if the unfortunate choice in Voting method punishes me for doing so). I'm trying to reason with you about the many others who are less altruistic than me, who see that punishment & decide (not unwisely) to avoid Voting at all; many of them the exact people you as a Host want to Vote.

~~~

If necessary, I'd be glad to move this to PMs.

13. IcemanBo

IcemanBo

JASS Class Tutor

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Ok, you obviously refer to Direfury's fun post if he can vote for the other team who based their hero on Direfury.
    So this is the rule that is "wrong" is:
    First, what does it mean:
    • You are allowed to vote for others.
    • You are not allowed to vote for yourself.
    So your "arguments" now are that you might confused if you can vote for your team as you are only a part of the team, and you also might be confused if you can vote for an other team's entry if they name it "Direfury", and oh shit, I realize my username is "Direfury", too.

Instead you say it must be changed to:
    Now I have a question.
    • What is if someone called his entry "their own Team/Entry"? Can I still vote for it? Because there's an entry with that name, but rules say I can't. It's tO0 vague, plz fix.
    Do you realize it? It's the same style how you argued about the defined deadline that "makes no sense". Just a retarded discussions for nothing.

About the other one.

I believe you have a very wrong idea how it works with suggesting improvements for hive. We've currently have a single, and a multiple vote poll system. Here for example (because we've not too many entries) you can cast 1 vote to pick your favorite hero out of 7. You can't 100% balance your opinion with only 1 vote, but one also can not argue it's unacceptable voting conditions. It's okay-good for me. It's not about dead or alive afterall.

Now you come with how to combine the best perfect poll method, start with introducing vote rankings, new methods, links to Wikipedia articles to get the idea behing your intention. You must realize this is fucking not realistic. People have already big problems to understand and to follow very basic instructions and rules when it's about public contests and polls. Do you realize how hard it is to run through more complicate methods, and what this would mean what effort you need debating with every random guy? Do you think Ralle, or Staff has time to work this all out and to implement it? Or maybe the idea is even to use some other site's features to organize polling and ranking and everything to make it more complicated?

The benefit would by far not be enough to replace current vote system, you just don't understand this and only see that there also exists a better poll method in the universe that could be used.

Such troll/retard discussions, like explained first, when you want just to debate the shit out of nonsense, or just unrealistic ideas that you find would be a bit more fair, like explained second makes me say things that "you make it impossible for me to debate", because it might be I absolutly don't see sense in putting effort into it.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  14. Murlocologist

Murlocologist

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    @Kyrbi0 darling, as many times so far, destination for your suggestions is staff contact, not contest thread. Respect that fact, thank you.

15. KILLCIDE

KILLCIDE

Administrator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Going to look through the entries next weekend! I will also leave a review for each one.

You can vote for them. The rule states that you can't vote for your team's own entry.

16. Daffa the Mage

Daffa the Mage

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
  17. IcemanBo

IcemanBo

JASS Class Tutor

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
  18. PROXY

PROXY

3D Modeling Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    Not happy with the single vote system either, but Kyrbi0 got that discussion covered.

I've got no concern with not reviewing other entries, people have done that in every contest before and I do not see a reason why we should not. I might go a bit more into the model entries obviously but I'll try to provide some review/critism for the whole entry :)

Lady Hive:
    Love the idea, although I find it a bit sad that it does not deviate from the sorceress model that much. I guess it fits pretty well though and somehow links it to back to Wc3, so that's okay :) Animations are done nicely, they do lack a bit of fluidness. The model does fit very well into wc3. Spell idea is really awesome and fits her theme and is executed pretty cool. Love the effect. Icons are pretty cool to and fit pretty nicely. I would have loved to see a bit more intense colours and a bit more contrast in there.

Moose General:
    I would have loved to see the result of this would there have been more time. The model does it's job, that moonwalk animation made me laugh so hard but it's also kinda cool (I know it was by accident) and somehow adds to it's charm. The spell idea itself is really nice but it bugged out like so many times in the test map I kinda gave up after a while trying to control it (although seeing Ralle sliding backwards into the enemy base and routing them was somewhat satisfiyng to watch). The icons are sufficient and especially the portrait icon looks kinda weird but it does have it's charm.

Dark Paladin:
    The one model that probably fits best into wc3. Love the details and usage of ingame textures. I just wish you would have created some nice little extra animations or somewhat edited the paladin ones (but what can I say, I've 65% used the BM's too :p). Fits Direfury very well and that chain mal arm is like so metal. Icons are really nicely made and fit very well. Spell effects might look a bit like an overkill but it's just sooo satisfying to watch that spell. A bit more epic animation for the model would have perfected it, but it's really awesome as it stands.

Goblin Artist:
    Ah yes. I love and hate this one. It fits Mr. Goblin so well (and his real appearance too, so kudos for that). It links together his look, his position in the communtity/his role as texturer & icon creator and even his name and obsession with goblins. The model itself is really well done but I feel like the texture lacks shadows and shading, making it look a bit bland (especially in the portrait). Animations are as awesome as you can expect from Direfury and there's even an additional model (paint goblin). Love the spell ideas, although it might seem like a bit of an overkill. Nonetheless very creative. Only thing that bugged me was that I had to check the name in the buff bar on the heroes portrait to find out what paint I was on currently. Effects of the spells are really cool too. Icons are probably the best part of the entry. I just love their feel and they fit so nicely into wc3.

Fabricator Tank:
    Like the design, although it is pretty basic and very similar to franks tank. would have loved a bit more of an creative design. Spell idea is cool and executed very well. I don't like the fact that you used one of franks model for the tanks. While it makes sense design wise, it kind of has a bad taste to it (see discord for more). The model execution itself is really cool and the animations are nice. I'm not a huge fan of the icons but that's more of an personal taste.

Fel Spider:
    I honor the effort you put into this. I could not test the map however as it always would bug out for me. The model is... well it was a good try. The wrap is really bad and fucked up though. I do like the design however and the thoughts you put into it. The icons are very cool but I can't say anything for the spell sadly.

---

Don't know who to vote for yet, but I'll decide that soon.

19. Direfury

Direfury

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Just for clarity, whenever you use Switch Paint, there is a little splash on the paintbrush, followed by a consistent dripping of paint that corresponds to the colour you're currently on.

20. Misha

Misha

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    I'm kinda for the goblin artist 'u' its a very much more refined thingamajig than the lady hive