• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Solo Mapping Competition #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
I've seen some shots, and I am going to remember you all:
This HAS to be an Indoor map. It could start outdoor, like when your character enters the place, but after that it has to be indoor.

Well, there goes the Zangarmarsh. It's a good thing I have a backup plan. I'll post some screenshots of the terrain in the next few days. In the meantime, I call the Forgotten One theme, ok?
Happy New Year and good luck to everyone.

Level 12
ok guys i am sorry but looks like i am drooping out of this if anyone wants to know the reason well i made around 90 % of my terrain (huge model) and my laptop battery got to low and it shut down and i have not saved even before so it means i am without my terrain and i fell just without any motivation anymore so if anyone wants any of models i made for this PM me (i will not give you goblin)

Level 6
the only game that i could think of thats even close to this game type would be "are you a retard?" and the big reason why it is fun is because you can see all the nubs fall into the traps.... but if its only 1 player half the fun is taken away for me... im sure there will be some good games but i think the turn out could be better if it wasnt 1 player... gl to all who enter :p

the only game that i could think of thats even close to this game type would be "are you a retard?" and the big reason why it is fun is because you can see all the nubs fall into the traps.... but if its only 1 player half the fun is taken away for me... im sure there will be some good games but i think the turn out could be better if it wasnt 1 player... gl to all who enter :p

Man, half those maps don't even test your intelligence, more so how many nubs can fall into traps before you so you can see what not to do. Gotta have the nub meat shield.

Level 14
Some screenies. Theyre far away from final.
First one is one of the first corners.
Second one is the starting area.
Third is some hidden library.

Attachments

• WC3ScrnShot_010110_071750_01.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_010110_071750_01.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 105
  • WC3ScrnShot_010110_071941_02.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_010110_071941_02.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 154
  • WC3ScrnShot_010110_072109_03.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_010110_072109_03.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 101
Level 7
Another round of sweet screnies everyone. :)

@YourNameHere , do not forget that it has to be an indoor map. Let it be a cave, dungeon, temple,etc. As you mention it will be a city, I thought I'll remind you on that.

Also, Happy New Year everyone!

Level 11
And looking good YourNameHere
Thanks for the flowers :)

@YourNameHere , do not forget that it has to be an indoor map. Let it be a cave, dungeon, temple,etc. As you mention it will be a city, I thought I'll remind you on that.
Yes ofcourse, that's only the start. You're going to explore the city and the main part will be in an old lab. (;

Also, Happy new year everyone! :)

Level 11
Ok, I am going for some temple and I know there are 2 guys with that theme already, but I got ideas to make it unique.

Aldo, still can't offer any screenies.

Level 25
@Boneknight

I fail to see how you will make units actualy walk over that model perfectly.

I think it will be glitched a lot since it has no pathing like WC models have, and afaik you can't implement custom pathing :p

So basicaly you will still have to terrain everything in WC in order to make the units move good on that model.

Also high-poly models inside warcraft engine make the game lag quite a bit, so unless it is under some poly count, it will make the game lag(afaik).

EDIT:

I am getting tempted to start modeling my own doodads cause of that pic :3

Don't make me open my 3DS max! xP

No really, i might start modeling just for this contest :p

Level 25
I think the game will be unplayable with that high poly count(as far as i seen from the pic).

If i remember WC can support up to X poly counts per model(not sure about this fact) as high poly models are getting rejected on THW and it surely must have a good reason :p

Last edited:
Level 11
hehe, love the train lights :)
and you have enough time to find some good models :)
Yeah, just searched some other site :)P) and found a few more models, I think I can continue my work now :>

@High Poly models:
Believe it or not; when you're at that position where I took my screen, I had like 40 FPS only. (Which doesn't mean much, my PC is pretty old)

WIP its 1 whole model for whole terrain i guess its like 1/20 of the model near 600 kb (started again)
I like this and I think it's a great idea.

Few things you should keep in mind though:
- Make sure you import the model as a destructible and check the "Walkable" box in the object editor
- WC3 doesn't really like big (as in visual size, not file size) models that have their origins off the screen, so make sure you calculate the extents correctly on that. Also I'd suggest splitting up your map's terrain (assuming you're doing all of it this way) into smaller bits and then sticking them together in WE - this will help reduce the extents issue
- Make sure you leave enough time so your map actually has gameplay :p

I think it will be glitched a lot since it has no pathing like WC models have, and afaik you can't implement custom pathing :p
Sure you can, although it's a bit of a pain: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/graveyard-209/pathing-map-tutorial-123358/

or of course he could just use pathing blockers :p
I think the game will be unplayable with that high poly count(as far as i seen from the pic).

If i remember WC can support up to 30-100 poly counts per model(not sure about this fact) as high poly models are getting rejected on THW and it surely must have a good reason :p
30-100? The fuck? The human town hall has like 3000 >___>

And we reject high poly models not because they're high poly but because they're unnecessarily high poly. There's a big difference.

@ YourNameHere: I wouldn't say this sites name here at hive, the mods
don't like this site (because of ripped models) and would punish you.
so you should remove that name :)
Meh, we don't mind if people talk about it as long as nobody links to something there that would break rules here

@ Pyritie: ah, kay. I often read it, when someone posted/talked about this link,
all people who saw it were saying: fast, remove that, mods don't like it. :p

I have a question:
Are ripped models allowed? (I won't include any, because that would destroy the look,
and gameplay of my map, but only to know)
Because to upload a ripped model isn't allowed, but is it at contests?

I have a question:
Are ripped models allowed? (I won't include any, because that would destroy the look,
and gameplay of my map, but only to know)
Because to upload a ripped model isn't allowed, but is it at contests?

Whatever the map submission rules are, those are what we're using :/

Level 20
Bonenight, working with one entire model is difficult and I don't even know if it's possible. I've tried before, and there were many problems, notably lag, however I didn't really try splitting it up into smaller bits. I suppose that should fix it.

Anyhow, i haebz new idea which might also involve working with big walkable models. I'm guessing it's okay if we don't control a humanoid character?

Status
Not open for further replies.