• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

World Editor and Undead Race NOW LIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
worldeditorlive.png

Warcraft_III_World_Editor.png
The Reforged World Editor is now live on the Warcraft III: Reforged BETA!

If you have access to the BETA, start messing around with the World Editor! Let Blizzard know your thoughts. They really need to hear from us, the map making community. We have 17 years of experience with the World Editor, so whom is better to provide feedback on the new editor than us?

Noone can give the mass feedback, that we as a community can compile. Please post your thoughts and general feedback about the Warcraft III: Reforged World Editor in this thread.
Test your old maps, comment about the things you like, things you didn't like, any issues that might occur, your concerns etc.

Blizzard is listening. Please be constructive and as clear and concise as possible.
needfeed.png
Hive Community be like:

speciality.jpg

undeadbanner.jpg

UNDEAD RACE PLAYABLE ON BETA

The multiplayer beta for Warcraft III: Reforged began last week with limited access to the orc and human races within 1v1 and 2v2 matchmaking.
Today the undead race and more game modes have been added, including the beforementioned World Editor!

Invitations to the multiplayer beta will be sent out over the coming weeks. Initial invitations will go out in waves to those who have pre-purchased the Spoils of War edition of the game and subsequent waves of invitations will go to additional players, such as those who have pre-purchased the standard edition of Warcraft III: Reforged.

Hype! Also sonphamthe11H dont troll, even the 2003 War3Art Tools Blizzard released that we had these past two decades required buying an expensive tool to make the models because Blizzard is only focused on making epic content as efficiently as possible at any cost.

If you're disappointed, be disappointed with me for not publishing Retera Model Studio Reforged yet, right? Or maybe with Magos. Where is that guy anyway? Magnus Ostberg? Something something?

Edit: We all want me to make Retera Model Studio Reforged, but there's a half chance that I go home and eat pop CORN instead. What does a matrix eater eat, anyway?

Last edited:

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 63
What are these o_O

• Player - Create Ability Button Effect for Animate Dead and Human Peasant - Repair
  • Player - Create Train Button Effect for Peasant
  • Player - Create Build Button Effect for Peasant
  • Player - Create Research Button Effect for Iron Forged Swords
  • Player - Create Learn Button Effect for Animate Dead
  • Player - Destroy Button Effect (Last created Button effect)

What are these o_O

• Player - Create Ability Button Effect for Animate Dead and Human Peasant - Repair
  • Player - Create Train Button Effect for Peasant
  • Player - Create Build Button Effect for Peasant
  • Player - Create Research Button Effect for Iron Forged Swords
  • Player - Create Learn Button Effect for Animate Dead
  • Player - Destroy Button Effect (Last created Button effect)

Those allow you indicate that the player should do something on the UI.

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
If anyone looking on how to test custom maps, you can open the map you want to test in the new editor and then use the editor test map button.
Did you try it yourself? Because, every time I try to test a map, it crashes at the "lion gate". And custom games doesn't seem to be enabled in game.

When I also tried to calculate shadows for a map in the editor it crashed and I got an error message.

Some unit stand animations ingame is laggy. The don't complete the animation cycle.

Some model textures are missing. Realise it's beta, just pointing out any "issues" I find.

Brigdes and other doodads doesn't face the right way when placing them on the map.

Last edited:
Level 20
Did you try it yourself? Because, every time I try to test a map, it crashes at the "lion gate". And custom games doesn't seem to be enabled in game.

When I also tried to calculate shadows for a map in the editor it crashed and I got an error message.

Some unit stand animations ingame is laggy. The don't complete the animation cycle.

Some model textures are missing. Realise it's beta, just pointing out any "issues" I find.

Brigdes and other doodads doesn't face the right way when placing them on the map.

Yeah i tried it myself and manage to open the map i'm currently working. Are you trying to open an old map just to test or one of your projects? I also got a few problems with imports and everythink is just to dark. I'm making a compilation of stuff that i'm finding and will post it here or in the new thread created about the editor. About the lag, i'm actually getting pretty decent performance from the game. My map is pretty model heavy (HD) and i'm getting between 120 - 200 FPS constantly, it feels more fluid, kind of hard to explain haha. The editor itself is much smoother i feel like. no code completion though!

Kazeon

Hosted Project: EC
Level 33
If you can't test map try playing the game normally once so you login and get a token.
I can play test empty map just fine though. But it does not work when I try to play test embercraft. Looks like it's trying to display an error message but failed (attachment - bottom left).

Attachments

• upload_2019-11-6_8-12-27.png
    upload_2019-11-6_8-12-27.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 517
Level 4
Issues I noticed when testing my custom map: Reforged Tournament.

1. Sound of units fighting cannot be heard at camera height distance of 3200 that could previously be heard in 1.31.
2. Map crashes upon saving, but appears to be saving correctly.
3. Human Battleship model not showing.
4. Map takes nearly 15 minutes to open with editor.
5. Set tooltips for abilities does not appear to be working.
6. Cannot save the map as a folder at all.

Last edited:
Level 2
Anyone else have this happen to them? I opened up a map ive been working on in classic, and my heroes spells have the wrong icons and tooltips like belonging to other spells, and effects even. For instance i have a custom polymorph spell that is just hex but sheep only but its icon in mass teleport and all the art and tooltip is mass teleport. Is that a weird pathing issue. I dont know how i would fix it tbh. wondernig if its a pathing glitch.

Level 13
Hi I've pre-ordered Reforged a year ago and I do not have access to the Beta. Is the Editor also restricted only to those who paid extra for the DLC? Damage Engine support will have to wait (if such a system is even needed anymore - can't tell).
Open Battle.net app and change your game region / account to "Warcraft III: Reforged Beta".

Side note: World Editor won't launch if you directly attempt to execute it from the game folder (x86), but it works from the battle.net app.

Level 20
And here are the thinks that i noticed so far:

1 - Most imported assets are not working (Could not load error)

Classic World Editor
World_Editor_Original.png

Reforged World Editor
World_Editor_Reforged_1.png

2 - The game seems too dark, i dont know if its the gama or the custom models lack something that the new revamped engine needs in order to make them look as they should.

Classic World Editor
World_Editor_Original_2.png World_Editor_Original_3.png

Reforged World Editor
World_Editor_Reforged_2.png World_Editor_Reforged_3.png

3 - It seems that the terrain texture path overriding is no longer working as well. I wonder if the custom lightnings like the @Spellbound pack will also be buggy. might be a good idea to give it a look.

Classic World Editor
World_Editor_Original_4.png

Reforged World Editor
World_Editor_Reforged_4.png

4 - It also seems that the method we use to create custom loading screens is not working as well. Its only using the LoadingScreenBL part.

Classic Loading Screen
Original_Loading_Screen.png

Reforged Loading Screen
Reforged_Loading_Screen.png

5 - Icons are not working properly as well, some work, some dont

Some In Game pics

Classic
Original_InGame.png Original_InGame_2.png Original_InGame_3.png

Reforged
Reforged_InGame_1.png Reforged_InGame_2.png Reforged_InGame_3.png

Regarding the models, i think i can upload Muradin's and Sylvanas models since they are from Heroes of the Storm, so i should give credits to Blizzard for creating the models and to nerthfill from the Warcraft Underground community for ripping them.

About uploading the map, i could do it, but its a 90 mb file and i would have to ask for permission from @YourArthas and the guys that created the Rebirth Mod to do it since i'm using a few of their models and they have a disclaimer. But if they do i wouldnt mind, because i was already planning on releasing the map, if permissions granted, as a guide to new map makers that want to learn Jass and vJass since i've already written 25000 lines of code on it.

Apart from all of those bugs, if you guys give it a good look at the Reforged In Game Pics, you will see that, for the custom models that are working, the game can create their shadow perfectly!! Thats Cools AF!!

Attachments

• Sylvanas HotS.zip
    719.2 KB · Views: 125
  • Muradin HotS.zip
    693 KB · Views: 121
Level 35
Been having a look around at some of the ingame stuff for reforged in the world editor, it's looking pretty cool so far, although I kind of wonder if they're going to stick with the same Blood Elf aesthetic for the High Elves in the campaign.
Also noticed a few strange things, like Naisha's model doesn't exist, for some reason the Ghost unit flies up pretty high while the banshee floats just above the ground despite being at the same elevation (if you set the height of the banshee to 0, it will actually fall through the ground).
I'm also wondering, will campaign building models be given birth and work animations? Some of them still don't seem to have them, but given it's still a work in progress I'm wondering how far in depth these sorts of things will go.

Level 13
Anyone else have this happen to them? I opened up a map ive been working on in classic, and my heroes spells have the wrong icons and tooltips like belonging to other spells, and effects even.
Yeah, I just noticed it too. In my case, my custom hero was based on the Mountain King hero, and all of his custom spells had their icons and normal tooltips changed to Mountain King's default ones (storm bolt, thunder clap, etc). The tooltip - learn field is still how it's supposed to be, tho.

Level 2
Summary of a few issues I reported on the blizzard forum as well as some new ones I found with maps that I tested attached.

1. Errors with learned hero custom abilities, their tooltips and icons.

When using the editor to load a map with custom abilities, all tooltips and icons used previously look to have transitioned properly in the object editor pane.

However, after having tried several different maps, it seems that while in the ‘learn ability’ pane for a hero, these custom abilities will be given an arbitrary icon not necessarily relating to the base ability. At this stage, the tooltip is still the custom tooltip specified in the editor. Once the ability is learned, both the icon and the tooltip are no longer the custom tooltip, but some default tooltip associated with the icon.

Additionally, when casting the custom ability that has a changed icon, a default effect associated with the ability the icon represents is also played.

Summary:

• In Editor: Custom Tooltip, Custom Icon
  • In ‘Learn Ability’ Pane: Custom Tooltip, Random Icon
  • In ‘Hero Ability’ Pane: Default Tooltip, Random Icon

2. Error with tooltip on non-learned custom abilities on pre-placed units.

• Some pre-placed units with custom abilities that are not learned show a 'tooltip missing' and a random icon when looking at them.
  • Does not seem to affect units spawned with triggers.

3. Error with 'model file extra version' selection in editor

Certain units which have multiple designs based on either RoC or TFT are unable to change from their frozen throne version to the reign of chaos version using the ‘model file extra version’ selection option in the editor.

Some examples for races in beta (RoC/TFT):

• Priest/Priest
  • Sorceress/Sorceress
  • Steam Tank/Siege Engine
  • Catapult/Demolisher
  • Gyrocopter/Flying Machine

4. Error with loading some default models in editor

Certain unit models do not load properly in editor and show up as a green checkered cube, but they do work in game. There are probably quite a few more than this.

Examples:

• Archmonde
  • Kel’thuzad Ghost
  • Shade
Map Tested: "Nexus 1.13 TFT", screenshot attached

5. Miscellaneous feedback

• Shallow water in editor is almost invisible, deep water is visible but does not look very deep.
  • Abilities that cluster lots of lights in a big burst create big square shadows on terrain. (Screenshot Attached)
  • Loading screen picture very zoomed in for some loading screens (For Example the Default Credits Screen)
  • Default Clawmaster orc model not updated for orcs.

Attachments

• Forest War x2.w3x
    1.2 MB · Views: 162
  • Nexus 1.13 v TFT.w3x
    2.4 MB · Views: 155
  • Beach Party v1.0.w3x
    218.2 KB · Views: 132
  • WC3ScrnShot_110519_231544_001.png
    WC3ScrnShot_110519_231544_001.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 229
  • No Model Error.PNG
    No Model Error.PNG
    526.7 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:
Level 35
Well that's weird, the Shade model works fine for me in Editor
Actually, so does Kel'thuzad Ghost and Archimonde
But the Naisha one doesn't, so I'm wondering if that one works for you while the ones that didn't work for you work for me

BTW, check out the Detheroc model for Chungus Dreadlord

Bribe

Code Moderator
Level 50
Open Battle.net app and change your game region / account to "Warcraft III: Reforged Beta".

Side note: World Editor won't launch if you directly attempt to execute it from the game folder (x86), but it works from the battle.net app.
Thank you! I've now downloaded it.

Is there anything NEW in the World Editor besides the Dialogue Editor (which doesn't seem to do anything)?

I've checked the Object Editor/Manager and trigger module, they're all the same.

Level 35
Thank you! I've now downloaded it.

Is there anything NEW in the World Editor besides the Dialogue Editor (which doesn't seem to do anything)?

I've checked the Object Editor/Manager and trigger module, they're all the same.

It might just be me, but so far it looks like it's just World Editor with the ingame models changed to WoW models
But it's all worth it for Chungus Detheroc

Kazeon

Hosted Project: EC
Level 33
Tried making a new basic map with 1 unit, and it loaded seemingly fine. Will try with my other map and test again.

EDIT: Ok, it works now.
How did you do it exactly? Can you elaborate? I think I did more or less the same thing, but didn't work for me:

1. Launched the game (I was looking for the launch editor button)
2. Exited the game (then I discovered the launch button at the battle.net window)
3. Launched the editor
4. Opened my map, loads just fine (except for some incompatible models)
5. Play-tested the map (did not work)
6. Created a new empty map with some pre-placed units, played the map successfully
7. Opened my map again, still can't play it

Level 5
Hype! Also sonphamthe11H dont troll, even the 2003 War3Art Tools Blizzard released that we had these past two decades required buying an expensive tool to make the models because Blizzard is only focused on making epic content as efficiently as possible at any cost.

If you're disappointed, be disappointed with me for not publishing Retera Model Studio Reforged yet, right? Or maybe with Magos. Where is that guy anyway? Magnus Ostberg? Something something?

Edit: We all want me to make Retera Model Studio Reforged, but there's a half chance that I go home and eat pop CORN instead. What does a matrix eater eat, anyway?
just trolling bro,dont be so serious :))

We have 17 years of experience with the World Editor, so whom is better to provide feedback on the new editor than us?
This made me feel so proud. :cute:

My main concern is whether the Reforged WE will include new features such as Damage Detection (and by that i mean simple GUI Events and conditions, like for example Unit takes damage - damage Type equals to Spell) that will allow us to make custom spells way easier.

And If we can use 2 abilities based on the same one, using different buffs (This became doable after 1.30 as long as the 2 abilities have different ID's). But instead of having a limited set of ID's, we can simply allow the user to create ID's.

And do we still have to deal with Memory Leaks?

Level 1
So are all those old wc3 maps lost? Things like Spellcraft, Uther Party, Wilderness Survival, Island troll tribes. Because dont the majority have protection on so you cant load them into editor?

Does this mean it will still be a few years before theres custom maps worth playing because the majority will have to be built from the ground up?

Last edited:
New functions related to the game:

• Game - Create Save Checkpoint
  • Game - Create Save Checkpoint
  • Game - Start Recording
  • Game - End Recording
These new functions exist, and are called "functions" because one is for a Campaign save checkpoint and another is a map save checkpoint.

• Attack Range
    • Events
      • Player - Player 1 (Red) skips a cinematic sequence
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Custom script: bj_wantDestroyGroup = true
      • Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units currently selected by Player 1 (Red)) and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • Game - Display to (All players) for 30.00 seconds the text: ((Name of (Picked unit)) + ('s Attack Range: + (String((Unit: (Picked unit)'s Weapon Real Field: Attack Range ('ua1m') at Index:1)))))
Getting the attack range of each unit still returns 0.00 .

For some reason, the following ForGroup call to this particular group crashes on my end:

• Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units owned by Player 1 (Red).) and do (Actions)
    • Loop - Actions
      • Game - Display to (All players) for 30.00 seconds the text: ((Name of (Picked unit)) + ('s Attack Range: + (String((Unit: (Picked unit)'s Weapon Real Field: Attack Range ('ua1m') at Index:1)))))
  • Unit - Set Unit Skin of (unit) to (integer)
This is quite odd. The function expects the second parameter to be an actual integer instead of rawcode.

EDIT:

A weird glitch occurs with the icons and the unit display. This occurs when the map is in SD mode.

Before option changes
upload_2019-11-6_15-46-0.png

Option Changes:
upload_2019-11-6_15-47-18.png

Result:
upload_2019-11-6_15-47-42.png

Extra (Wrong icon for ability):
upload_2019-11-6_15-49-3.png

(The skin of the archmage is set to lich, and all abilities will display the latter's accordingly, but will reflect that of the former's abilities)​

Last edited:
Level 6
Please add a trigger that applies a texture on a model
For example, I want to make a spell that freezes the target. That trigger apply Ice\snow texture on the model
Or I want to make units with low HP, covered in blood. With that trigger, I can apply a blood-drops texture on the model.

Does anyone agree with me?

Level 4
UMSWE support would be appreciated. You cant use GUI without it. For example you can't create i footmans, where "i" is a local variable, in GUI, since unlike with umswe you can't insert custom scripts inside the fields of actions and conditions.
upload_2019-11-6_10-36-14.png

This is pretty much the only UMSWE functionality that is vital. So if RWE won't support UMSWE, it still needs this feature.
upload_2019-11-6_10-41-49.png

But if this feature is to be added, it would save people a lot of time if it would also has backward compatibility with the same feature from the custom editors. Sorry for russian screenshots.

Also the conversion to custom text of triggers is made much better, that's great, however the font is unreadable, bring back TESH.
upload_2019-11-6_10-52-0.png

Level 4
@azgarol: this is already doable in GUI via custom scripts if you just set the varables beforehand or define global variables as locals in the beginning of the trigger (well, it bites itself with the GUI if/then/else blocks, because of the way these are absolutely atrocious converted in jass)
If I am using custom script for every single action what's the point of using GUI anyway? It is doable, but GUI is not viable without custom scripts inside GUI actions like on the screenshot from my previous post.

Status
Not open for further replies.