1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Warcraft 3 Reforged

Discussion in 'Latest Updates and News' started by Archian, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Anaxie

Anaxie

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Yeah see this is what scares me

ALL THE OLD maps layouts GONE
    Custom Campaigns? how will they NOT break?
    Culling of Stratholme at blizzcon has NO PRIST OR SORCERESS UNITS. Far diff then them being buildable in WC3 Legacy

WIth Bnet integration keeping a Legacy old patch install is going to be impossible or hell jumping through hoops.

They are removing the old game essentially the way I interpret this and that is NOT okay. Everyone should backup their current WC3 now and keep it far away from bnet if they want to have reforged and not have their old game go bye bye.

2. MasterBlaster

MasterBlaster

Resources:
    Resources:
    Okay, I've posted your stuff. If you come up with anything else (or anyone else wants their questions posted in the MMO-champ thread), just let me know.

3. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    No, they're not doing that. They're going with it in parallel like with the first StarCraft (+Remastered).
    If they would do what you wrote, I'm sure there are enough conservatives in California for an unpeaceful boycott.

4. Anaxie

Anaxie

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    How can you toggle graphics and expect the old game when the map campaign layouts are entirely changed.

Blizzcons Stratholme VS Classic This won't be the only case I'm sure Silvermoon with the Sunwell location and most others will be entirely remade.

losing the OLD game is NOT acceptable a toggle is insufficient. hope they plan on having Legacy and Reforged Campaign Selection.

This is the #1 Question everyone should ask.

@Kam

Can we have ANY insight here?

5. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Man. The Campaigns are something else. The engine, as they imply, is overlapped so basically you kind of toggle from a game to another (hidden executables or the same executable for various files to be executed).

6. MasterBlaster

MasterBlaster

Resources:
    Resources:
    I mean, it's pretty obvious that the graphics toggle will just work for graphics, i.e. you will still have the new layouts of the campaign maps.

The real question here is will there be an option to play the campaign with the old layouts?

7. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Yes but I guess only on the classic mode and not with Reforged.

8. Tuwnew

Tuwnew

Resources:
    Resources:
    A lot of models are just not made yet.
    That's maybe why there are no priests nor sorceress. @Anaxie

9. Anaxie

Anaxie

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    But we don't know if there will even be a classic mode.

Better to clarify now to get response so the Masses can demand a Classic Campaign Selection.

As I see it right now this is 2 completely diff games. which is awesome
    But I won't erase My OLD favorite game for something new and entirely different with only similarity being story.

with this should also be 2 editors with stuff already made because again. I'm skeptical it won't destroy custom campaigns entirely.

I don't get why they even update the base game and didn't just make a brand new one and executable. all this patching hell the last year + could of been avoided.

10. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    As @Anaxie wrote on the first thread, would the Exodus of the Horde or what's it called (that official custom campaign with Thrall) not make it to Reforged?
    We know. They said the games can be toggled from one to another.

11. Anaxie

Anaxie

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    in those exact words?

just wish executables were seperate. Patchings going to become more frequent just like SC1 is now meaning everything custom will be broken monthly 2 seperate installs one locked entirely off from Bnet somehow is almost mandatory.

Unless you hate every single custom campaign on the Hive.

it's really an uneeded headache :( classic being playable with reforged tells you to expect weekly or frequent patching with the outlook of multiplayer ladder being the main concern.

12. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Let's not off-topic the other thread.

Many maps are broken right now without Reforged. They will (hopefully) fix the issues and everything will work fine on the classic version. More patches won't mean breaking compatibility if they don't edit things related to that. If they add new natives and such, that means something on top not a change. We'll see.

13. Anaxie

Anaxie

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Sc remastered is a IN GAME toggle
    you can do it during the mission.

This is impossible with Entirely different map layouts.

Starcraft 1 is a Remaster
    Warcraft 3 is a Remake The name Reforged also implies this.

Warcraft 3 and Starcraft 1 reboots are very different beasts.

Yes but what I mean is maps breaking is going to be a weekly rather than month - 2/3 month occurance and being Bnet integrated good luck opting OUT of updating like many people on Hive Currently do.

This should be a concern.

14. Daffa the Mage

Daffa the Mage

Map Moderator

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Personally, on the positive light, this is a big deal. GRAPHICS! EMPOWERED WORLD EDITOR.
    Inversely, the graphic also causes the whole breakup with what communities have so far.

In my opinion, this remaster is mostly to get some cash flowing from Warcraft 3 foremost. If it sold well, then the patches can keep flowing. IMO.

I'm on 6:4 right now, tilting toward positive.

15. Anaxie

Anaxie

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    ummm...

There was a trailer. They are done.

They just decided you don't get them in Strat 2.0

16. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Hence why I wrote toggle between games. And yes, you'll probably have to do that in the menu and not directly ingame unless you're playing melee or something.
    Let's hope for the best first.
    Even so, I just hope they don't kill us with microtransactions for skins and stuff like with StarCraft II.

17. Tuwnew

Tuwnew

Resources:
    Resources:
    There were not in the trailers.
    Everything is not yet finished.

The Nigth Elves for example. Nothing is shown yet.

Stratholme was also a DEMO mission. Pretty sure it will be different in the final release (inside the campaign).

18. Blackcat

Blackcat

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hi :D

It's these kind of BlizzCon announcements that make sure I'll be posting here for a long long time.. haha.

19. A]mun

A]mun

Resources:
    Resources:
    Best case: new functionality (e.g. inventory hotkeys), improved pathfinding, advanced vanilla editor with in-build tools for greater customization

Worst case: mostly graphic overhaul, WoW'ification with future expansions, cash-grab

i'm on the fence on this one...

20. Bribe

Bribe

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Expansions are just fine. You can buy them or not. The only thing that kept me from WoW after all these years was and has been the monthly subscription price. That concept can die in a fire.

When Frozen Throne came out, I was mostly excited for the Phoenix. I can't wait to see what she looks like in Reforged. The Game Informer article has me feeling nostalgic AF.

I bought Reign of Chaos the same month it came out (I already had been a big fan of Tides of Darkness) and Frozen Throne maybe a week later.

If you think I'm old, step aside junior.