- Jan 1, 2006
So, BlizzCon 2019 is over and we've gotten new information about Warcraft 3 Reforged. If you havn't seen the BlizzCon 2019 opening ceremony then be sure to check it out here.
I've tried putting together some of the news and updates regarding Warcraft 3: Reforged.
New information will be added to the list as they become available, so check back later for more updates. Feel free to comment below if you have addtional information.
- Warcraft 3 Reforged is still set to come out in 2019*, the release date announcement will come soon.
- The game will receive additional content after launch, but "not necessarily campaigns".
- They're currently in a "polishing" stage.
- Performance improvements will come closer to release.
- All people who pre-purchased Reforged will get access into the beta. They are still rolling out BETA waves.
- First in line are people who bought the Spoils of War edition, then normal edition, then Virtual Ticket.
- Undead race will become available in the live BETA on Tuesday 5th Nov.
- Night Elves will be ready for testing in 2 weeks.
- The World Editor and Custom Games are coming to the live BETA on Tuesday 5th Nov. UPDATED
- 3v3, 4v4 and FFA are also coming next week.
- The BETA will also include an old graphics option.
3. Multiplayer & Balance:
- Ladder WILL be available on release. UPDATED
- Reforged will feature a global matchmaking system just like Starcraft Remastered.
- The team is very interested in community feedback on matchmaking.
- The game will feature both race and game mode specific MMR.
- Arranged teams are coming back.
- They're considering community made maps for multiplayer.
- There are no plans to add a 5th playable race to multiplayer.
- The 12 unit selection limit will not be increased in multiplayer.
- An Observer Mode with a zoom-out feature is coming.
- Balancing is hard - they admit they've made some mistakes in 2018, when balancing they're looking at how the game feels and make changes on a case-by-case basis, trying to preserve race uniqueness and ensure that both pro-players and casuals have an enjoyable experience.
- Overall they feel like the balance is in a pretty good place, but some issues still need to be adressed (like Turtle Rock close spawns).
4. Readability, art & sound:
- The team has heard the feedback about readability issues.
- They're working on improving silhouettes and team colors.
- They're adding team-colored health bars to improve visibility.
- Heroes will have a special health bar to make them stand out a bit more.
- Mountain King will be made bigger.
- Blademaster's running animation will be changed to look more like in the original.
- Animations are a bit limited, because they had to match classic timings.
- All named heroes (from the campaigns) will have their own models.
- All unit models will be unique.
- In total there are over 2200 new models.
- UI and menus aren't final.
- Classic chain sounds and UI elements remain in the client.
- They're keeping the original unit voice overs.
- There's some new music being added to Reforged.
5. Campaign and story:
- Cutscenes from the Blizzcon 2018 demo (The Culling of Stratholme) were scrapped. However more than 8 campaign maps have been significantly redesigned. UPDATED
- They are returning to old-style cinematic mode cutscenes, some with new camera angles, lightning and terrain.
- Cinematics will get a remaster with higher resolution and better quality.
- In contrast to the Polygon article, they've hinted at some changes to the campaigns.
- They want the campaign to "bridge" into WoW.
- Reign of Chaos, Frozen Throne & Rexxar campaign will be available at release.
- There's a special "story mode" difficulty in the campaign for WoW players (players not famillar with RTS)
- The Arthas vs. Illidan cinematic has been reforged. Preview:
- They're excited to see what the community does with the improved editor features.
- Some features they've mentioned is changing a unit's health and new camera tools.
- We will get an option to change the 12-unit selection limit in custom games.
- No plans to allow mapmakers to monetize their maps.
Artwork and Night Elf previews