Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Warcraft 3 Reforged Blizzcon Recap

Discussion in 'Latest Updates and News' started by Archian, Nov 3, 2019.

1. Morrowind135

Morrowind135

Resources:
    Resources:
    Im sure most of us are very eager to test the World Editor Beta! Looking forward to upgrading some of my maps :ogre_hurrhurr:

2. Archian

Archian

Site Director

Resources:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I've updated the first post.

Hell... yeah!

3. MasterBlaster

MasterBlaster

Resources:
    Resources:
    Well, I'd advise making a back-up before you open any of your maps in the Reforged editor and waiting with upgrading them until the game is out, because going by their patch history, there's a very strong chance that some things will be broken, at least initially.

4. Razorclaw_X

Razorclaw_X

Resources:
    Ported Models:
    Resources:
    Then go order your refund if you feel so strongly about it.

5. Archian

Archian

Site Director

Resources:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I understand your frustration. I was looking forward to seeing all those new cutscenes too. But I don't think you should cancel just yet ;) There is still SO MUCH content coming our way. And I'm sure the cutscenes will still be amazing with all the new models, terrain etc.

I know for a fact that some cutscenes will be absolutely magnificent and unique!

6. _Guhun_

_Guhun_

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Actually, they stated in a panel that they were toning down the changes they were making due to player feedback, since many people weren't into them changing the campaign so much, and many were afraid of retcons to the story.

Sure, they could be lying, but the feedback WAS there, so if you assume they're lying it's basically a catch 22. Sure, you were personally excited about the new cutscenes, but many people complained about them, too.

7. MasterHaosis

MasterHaosis

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Hey, one question. Will be Reforged in Game Shops on CD/DVD, or just online to purchase? What did they say?

8. Morrowind135

Morrowind135

Resources:
    Resources:
    Oh absolutely, i would mainly be swapping out some custom models to use the new HD ones. I would be hesitant to alter triggers at this stage.

9. A Void

A Void

Resources:
    Models:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I would prefer a physical release, too! Any word on this?

10. Frotty

Frotty

Wurst Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Wurst:
    Resources:
    actual recap:
    -reforged is still just a cashgrab
    -blizzard is a garbage company

11. Archian

Archian

Site Director

Resources:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    That is, as they say, your opinion and I disagree. That's not fair to the people working on Reforged.

We know some of the men and women working on Reforged and your statement is rather demeaning to the passion and dedication they have poured into Reforged.

12. GhostOfPast

GhostOfPast

Resources:
    Template:
    Resources:
    "- The game will receive additional content after launch, but "not necessarily campaigns"."
    WHAT ? AND THE CROSSPLAY ??!:ogre_rage:

"- The 12 unit selection limit will not be increased in multiplayer."
    YES ! But without the pathfinding buffer increase, it's almost useless in large scale maps.:ogre_icwydt:

"- Reforged will feature a global matchmaking system just like Starcraft Remastered."
    WHAT ?! WE HAVE TO PAY JUST TO PLAY COMPETITIVE ?!!! What a joke !:ogre_rage:

"-There are no plans to add a 5th playable race to multiplayer."
    PLEASE-DON'T-BREAK-THE-CROSSPLAY:ogre_rage:

"-The 12 unit selection limit will not be increased in multiplayer."
    Fair enough.

"- There's a special "story mode" difficulty in the campaign for WoW players (players not famillar with RTS) ;)"
    "- They want the campaign to "bridge" into WoW."
    Those damn WoW Fanboys !:ogre_rage:

"We will get an option to change the 12-unit selection limit in custom games."
    YES AT LEAST but again without the buffer increase it's useless:ogre_icwydt:

"No plans to allow mapmakers to monetize their maps.
    Monetize is useless, because some makes money from stolen maps, also everything is free right now.:ogre_icwydt:

13. Walichrage

Walichrage

Resources:
    Resources:
    "There's a special "story mode" difficulty in the campaign for WoW players (players not famillar with RTS)"

Funny that this special mode is actually in game right now, we can't use it from campaign menu because there are only hard and normal difficulty option. However once you extract campaing and play it as custom you can choose easy and play this "new" story mode XD

14. knight26

knight26

Resources:
    Resources:
    As I do with all games, I will wait for a final / complete version of the game before buying it. And yeah I am that patient ^_^

A bit of a shame we won't be having new campaigns by the looks of it, I was looking forward to that. Or maybe a few chronological ones, at the very least.
    Heck, a new expansion would be quite nice too. Perhaps Blizzard needs to look at some campaign makers here on THW and pay them to do the majority of the campaigns while they add voice lines and small details to it.

15. Nightmare2077

Nightmare2077

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Yay!! Makes me feel really happy that we pulled through that Hive Cup recently

16. MasterBlaster

MasterBlaster

Resources:
    Resources:
    Well, I haven't really voiced my opinion about everything, so here it goes:

Even though it's somewhat expected due to potential legal issues they could have if they didn't meet their release deadline, it's nice to hear an update. That said, looking at how the game is shaping up, personally I wouldn't really be opposed to even a quite significant delay if it meant better quality.

As I've said before - if they thought about making extra campaigns, they would have said it. The reality is that looking at people's comments after Reforged was first announced, there were quite a lot of folks who expressed significant interest in more campaign content, even as a paid DLC, so hinting that it's coming would definetely be popular with people who bought the game and might also convince some who didn't to get it. The fact that Blizzard chose not to do that means that they most likely don't have any plans to make bonus campaigns and they didn't say so outright, because they didn't want to disappoint their customers.

My personal take on this is that it isn't really that surprising - campaigns are costly. You have to pay the voice actors and make new models, not just write a story and make a couple of maps. The only way that it could be feasible is if Blizzard decided to sell them for like 5$ each or whatever - personally I wouldn't mind that at all, but there's no telling how the broader community would react to such a thing. Plus there's always a question how do you handle modding - do you lock all assets behind the paywall and create parity issues or do you let people use them for free which runs the risk of someone recreating the campaign? That last part is a problem that other post launch support options like balance changes, new multiplayer maps or editor improvements don't have. So that's likely what they've meant by "additional content".

Personally - while it's a bit disappointed that we most likely won't get any more official story content with original voice acting and whatnot, I think this community is more than perfectly capable of crafting truly amazing campaigns, so we should be good on that front. What I'm really interested in - as someone who likes playing with the editor - is how much effort will they put into it. Hopefully a lot.

I'm not really interested in melee multiplayer, so it doesn't concern me all that much, but I guess no ladder on release kinda sucks and I'm curious how they will handle latency issues with global matchmaking. As for matchmaking itself, I remember their other games like HotS or Starcraft II had a lot of issues with their matchmaking systems, so hopefully the Classic Team has learned from their experience. And obviously, arranged teams and specific MMRs sound cool.

This is really awesome - hopefully they're looking at Hive too :)

I guess it's understandable, considering that modernizing the game would make a lot of veterans very uphappy - though personally I absolutely wouldn't mind seeing better pathing, unit selection and controls and I think many of the more casual, i.e. new and returning players, would like that too.

I think it would be awesome if we could one day get a new expansion with tavern heroes, creeps and items... and yes, also a new race and some expansion to existing ones. Plus obviously campaigns. I'd happily pay for that and I think that adding some new things to multiplayer would also help keep it more interesting for a broader audience. But it's just my little wet dream that almost certainly will never come true.

That's very nice to hear - as it stands right now, Reforged suffers form poor readability, especially compared to the original and this needs to be adressed before the game launches.

That's obviously great for modders - more things to choose from. It would also be really nice if after launch Blizzard decided to add a couple of new models into the game every now and then or released some expansion with a lot of new stuff. Because you can never have too much stuff :D

Yes, I know it won't happen, but a man can dream :)

Thank god, the current ones are straight up awful. I really hope with get animated menu/campaign backgrounds back. Plus buttons that don't look like candy.

After giving it some thought - I'm actually fine with that. I was looking forward to some small story changes and new lines in the campaign, but hearing what they've done to Polish voices, I'd much rather they stayed away from the English ones, even if it means that all campaign dialogues will remain exactly as they were.

Meh, I highly doubt they will be able to beat or even match the classic tracks, but whatever. I just hope they aren't porting WoW music, because as good as at least some of it is, it belongs in WoW, not W3.

Now, this is a massive deal-breaker for me. These new cutscenes were my #1 reason to buy Reforged and the fact they're gone is very disappointing. At first my reaction was to just not buy the game until it goes on sale, but now that I've calmed down, I'm not sure what I'll do. Luckily I still have a couple of weeks to make up my mind.

I'm not sure what they mean by bridging, but... my idea of story changes was basically adding, not changing, i.e. the overall story should stay the same, but I'd welcome some extra touches here and there. For example, Kel'thuzad wasn't some no name necromancer guy - he was a former mage of the Kirin'Tor, so it would make sense for Jaina to reckognize him or at least be familiar with his name when they first meet in the campaign. This change would be fine in my book, the same as adding Anasterian Sunstrider to the undead Silvermoon mission or having a nice Saurfang cameo somewhere in the orc campaign. I'd like things like these.

I know it's a bit funny, but some people who buy Reforged probably never played an RTS or just tried SCII on casual difficulty (or whatever it was called). I don't think that the default difficulty of Warcraft 3 is too high, but if some people could use an easier one then I guess it won't hurt as long as Normal/Hard remain the same :)

It's a bit disappointing, because I think some people make such high quality stuff that they deserve to get some money for it, but ultimately... allowing modders to monetize their work is a big legal pain in the butt and could potentially be abused, so I'm not surprised they don't want to do it.

17. stan0033

stan0033

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    NOOOOO WHY BLIZZARD WHYYYYY?!? I WANTED IT TO BE LIKE A MOVIE, NOTTHE OLD BORING STYLE!!!

18. Chaosy

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Biggest overreaction I have seen in a while.
    You are assuming things that are not even said.

"WHAT ? AND THE CROSSPLAY ??"
    Adding new content does not remove crossplay.
    • It does not say that this extra content is exclusive to reforged
    • And even if it is, it is EXTRA content which you would not otherwise have. It does not remove cross play from the base game. It would just add content which would not be supported by crossplay.

"WHAT ?! WE HAVE TO PAY JUST TO PLAY COMPETITIVE ?!!! What a joke !"
    This was not stated either. You are just assuming that the monetization would be the same as well. Because matchmaking != monetization.

19. Trill

Trill

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Eh, still not gonna buy it, but at least some things to look forward too.
    New music sounds good (music is really the one thing Blizzard has been consistently awesome at for 25-ish years now),
    Talks about 5th player race makes me think they might make it an option for custom maps (which would be freaking amazing, for a variety of reasons).
    I really really REALLY hope that "all weapons are attachments" and variable unit models will carry over to classic Warcraft III too keep editor consistent, which would be basically Christmas.

20. Strydhaizer

Strydhaizer

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    *buys and plays Reforged*
    *switches to classic graphics*

I'm curious if they will add an option to switch to old graphics in the world editor (not in-game), just curious, even though I'm not yet interested getting the Reforged.