1. Find your way through the deepest dungeon in the 18th Mini Mapping Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. A brave new world lies beyond the seven seas. Join the 34th Modeling Contest today!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hive 3 Remoosed BETA - NOW LIVE. Go check it out at BETA Hive Workshop! Post your feedback in this new forum BETA Feedback.
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Warcraft 3 Reforged Blizzcon Recap

Discussion in 'Latest Updates and News' started by Archian, Nov 3, 2019.

1. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Spoiler/hidden tags please. Much to scroll through, especially those images.

2. Deathscream

Deathscream

Resources:
    Resources:
    5. Campaign and story:
    - Cutscenes from the Blizzcon 2018 demo (The Culling of Stratholme) were scrapped.
    - They are returning to old-style cinematic mode cutscenes, some with new camera angles, lightning and terrain.

that was the biggest selling point of the game... the reforged campaign...
    i was hyped to get some new content for an RTS warcraft...
    it's like a stab in the heart for me...

3. YourArthas

YourArthas

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
  4. Bajer

Bajer

Resources:
    Resources:
    Is there any information when there will be a second wave to beta for those people who bought the usual preorder Wacraft 3?

5. DimitarMace

DimitarMace

Resources:
    Resources:
    Will Warcraft III Reforged be playable offline without internet connection, like the old WCIII ?

6. Venombite

Venombite

Resources:
    Resources:
    I really hate to be negative or a troll or anything like that, but sadly it has come to that.

Obviously Blizzard has tried to out do themselves this year at BlizzCon, and this year in particular. With big things like Overwatch 2, Diablo 4, a new expansion for WoW, a new expansion for Hearthstone and Warcraft 3 Reforged, all in the same year. And in my book, they have failed miserably. Overwatch 2 and Diablo 4 have obviously sucked in all the budget, which I understand, cause they are the priorities, not Warcraft. And they basically tried to pass on the other games without a budget, which is obvious(that's why Shadowlands suck).

I'm quite disappointed with Warcraft III Reforged, though I can't say I didn't "fear" of this outcome. Basically after a big promotion at BlizzCon 2018, we haven't heard a single thing about it in 11 and a half months. Only a few weeks ago, they've published stuff for dataminers, without any official statement. Only to say, at BlizzCon 2019, that they've cut 50% of the contents(at least, if not 70%). No new cut scenes, no new quests, no new voices, no new boss fights, some chapters are being redone, but only a few, not even close to every one of them, as they promised at BlizzCon 2018, no environmental upgrades as in the Demo.

But wait, they'll add new content after release, "not necessarily campaigns", which in my book means purchasable Daughter of the Sea type skins and purchasable baby lamas for charity. They are going to add super easy difficulty (really???). They are going to add new music (if so little changes, why bother with music???). And redo some chapters, with the old voice lines though. Like seriously??? Having a mute Anastarian as a creep in front of a Sunwell is the lamest thing ever. A scene that is the main plot of (dozens) of books, comics, quest lines and what nots, if it doesn't have a proper cut scene, dialogue and quest and a boss fight is a story and game play ruiner in my book.

What did we see at Blizzcon? A few screenshots, half of which have been datamined already, and when they publish stuff for dataminers, it's always planed on purpose. And a glimpse of obviously unfinished Arthas vs Illidan. Great thing!

Everyone is getting a Beta, which in my books means that they have zero professional testers, and did zero tests, before the Beta. Another great thing!

Worst of all is that it's obvious that the devs themselves have no clue about the release date, a year after it was announced. As if they have no intention to release it anytime soon. If they were delivering a game promised at Blizzcon 2018, I would be happy to wait even 5 years, but with 50% of it scrapped and still no release date, not even a mild one... Another great thing!

Honestly I see all of this as a disrespect, not to me, but to fans and public and people who will buy it in general. A drop that spilled the cup for me was, if legit the statement: "We're keepeing the old voice lines, cause of player feedback!" Seriously?!! If I pre-purchased, I would find that just insulting, but maybe it's just me, cause I personally value honesty.

If Reforged ends up being a HotS graphics pack for Warcraft 3, I'm not really sure if I care about it, even though I like 99% of the new visuals. I thought I would buy the game asap, but now I'll definitely wait for sale, and a few patches, and see how the game has turned out, and decide if I'll buy it at all.

For the first time I'm saying it out loud. I'm glad I didn't pre-purchase!!! If I did, I would honestly feel scammed and played. That's why I never pre-purchase anything. They sold you a product at the Blizzcon 2018, and you're not getting that product, you're just getting the glimpses.

Sadly, for me Blizzcon 2019 was "The Day Warcraft Died"!!!

EDIT: I copy pasted this post from another thread, with some minor changes, because it's just made for this thread, it just belongs here, and I couldn't resist.

7. MasterBlaster

MasterBlaster

Resources:
    Resources:
  8. Trill

Trill

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    By the way, I haven't seen it neither here nor on MMO-Champ, but maybe I missed it.
    Was there ANYTHING about regular Warcraft III? Will we get anything new? Unlikely, I know, but "old graphics" option implies there must at least be Warcraft III-compatible models for new stuff (e.g. Anasterian, Jaina and Thrall skins, etc).
    Any info on that?

9. Archian

Archian

Site Director

Resources:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    First post updated.

10. stan0033

stan0033

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Why would you want old graphics in the editor?

11. Chaosy

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Because some people prefer the 3 poly models for some reason. I do not understand why but a fair share of people seem to share the sentiment.

12. MasterBlaster

MasterBlaster

Resources:
    Resources:
    I disagree - I think Shadowlands look absolutely amazing and I'm very happy that instead of adding another bunch of new systems, half or more of which would likely be crap (*cough* Warfronts, Azerite Armor *cough*), they've decided to go back and fix what's already there (classes, leveling, rampant RNG, etc.).

My only disappointment is that there isn't a new class, but added customization options and returning abilities should cover for that.

At this point, it does kinda seem like this might be their plan.

And this bothers you... why exactly? It's not like they're removing or nerfing old campaign difficulties - you will still get them. All they're doing is adding another one, most likely by expanding the hidden "Easy" difficulty that was already there in the base game, for people who want it. You don't need to use it.

I hope "no new recordings" was referring to the fact that they aren't re-recording stuff, not to completely avoiding any new lines, because - if they're going to have Anasterian, it'd be really nice if he says something, even a short one-liner.

I don't know, I've followed the news pretty religiously and most screenshots seemed new.

I doubt that's true - I can't imagine that the game didn't go through some QA testing, considering that the first public build was for the most part pretty stable. If anything, saying that everyone who preorders gets into beta is aimed at getting people to buy the game.

I didn't know you're a telepath and you can read their minds?

Obviously they have some idea as to when they want to release - the reason why they don't announce it is because there's a lot of things in software development that can go wrong and some people would go on a rampage if they announced a release date and then something happened that pushed it back even a few days.

Not really true. They've confirmed that the game is on track to come out by the end of the year.

Yes, seriously - because there was actually a fair amount of people who wanted them to keep old voice lines or not WoW-ify the campaign. It's not like they've said they did something due to feedback that didn't exist - they just happened to listen to a group that had the opposite view to yours.

Look, I get it that you're disappointed and I share some of your sentiments, especially about waiting with a purchase, but holy crap, dude... calm down. It's just a video game - if you don't like it, vote with your wallet or express your criticisms in a fair manner. There's no need to get mad. Come on.

This part I totally agree with. I think it's stupid that companies can ask for people's money without a set release date and a somewhat finalized feature list for their product, but such is the world we live in.

I highly doubt that any of models that were made for Reforged will get their classic equivalent, i.e. the most likely scenario is that using old graphics you will go back to the exact look the game has right now, for example: Anasterian will get turned into an Archmage, Jaina will go back to its regular skin, etc.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
  13. Ardenaso

Ardenaso

Resources:
    Resources:
    The earthquake of fanatic purist cults and WoW extreme fanboys is already bad in the US Battlenet forums, let's not do the same here

It's sad they scrapped the cutscenes, I hope they give them back after, even if it takes another year after release

Also, let's not gatekeep WoW content here as long as it does not strongly retcon anything else; after all, Warcraft is Warcraft

14. YourArthas

YourArthas

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
  15. Archian

Archian

Site Director

Resources:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
  16. Trill

Trill

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    WoW retcons RTS lore. Heck, WoW lore they are going for is modern WoW lore, which already retcons classic WoW lore... Its a retcon of a retcon. And we should embrace it because it just so happens to have same logo? Because Warcraft is nothing more than a logo devs put on a game at this point.

17. wc3neverdies

wc3neverdies

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Yep, this. I was happy about the campaign changes because of additional assets we can use for custom maps. The lore is pretty mutch destroyed already with wow so....

18. YourArthas

YourArthas

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    They are in the casc already, most of them were datamined, I personally checked too (maybe except terenas' statue) so we will have them in editor

19. Augustus

Augustus

Resources:
    Resources:
    The more I think about it. the more disappointed I am that they scrapped the reworked campaign. It might have not been perfect but I really wanted to see WOW Stratholme and WOW NPCs in Reforged. It was a huge selling point for me. Maybe they caved in to the pressure or maybe they ran out of time/money.

All they needed was to let you choose between the new and original ones and leave it up to the player which one is canon.

20. MasterBlaster

MasterBlaster

Resources:
    Resources:
    Well, if doing an updated Stratholme meant they were going to cut 70% of the dialogue then I actually prefer the old one.