• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft III Reforged - Community Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 25
Pick c# as your scripting language because that makes actual sense versus freaking lua which wasnt even a smart choice 5 years ago anymore.
C# as a scripting language.. What? C# requires a compiler. It's not a scripting language. :)

I like it the way it is. No curly braces, no loads of brackets, no semicolons, very readable
You just described Lua. Learn Lua in 15 Minutes

Level 3
UI suggest
  • Able to see the real number of Movement Speed , Attack Cooldown (or attack speed % increase) , HP / MP regenration
  • Able to see Ablities of Other players/Neutrue units , and even Cooldown of Friendly player unit Ablities .

Level 11
As a traanspiler?
No idea what this is :p

Here's what I know:
Yesterday Will confirmed that LUA is being integrated as a map scripting language. It will operate in parallel to the existing JASS virtual machine and will likely have very limited capabilities for intercommunication between LUA and JASS.

This means full compatibility with existing maps will be maintained. Map makers can take advantage of LUA scripting without breaking any of their existing JASS and slowly port systems across as necessary.
(quote from @Dr Super Good in this thread: Reforged - Warcraft III Reforged - What we know... so far.)

Level 20
Just watched an interview with Jeff Chamberlain over at Game Informer, in which he stated that they're not remaking any of the cinematics, apart from the opening one which we've seen. Why on earth are they now half-assing this, and not bothering to remake all of the cinematics? It's misleading to remake the opening cinematic, and then a week later say "oh yeah, we can't be bothered to remake any of the rest". They did a lazy job with Starcraft: Remastered, and I was hoping they would do the job that Warcraft III: Reforged deserved. They absolutely should be remaking every single cinematic. Raise the price if they have to.

Blizzard, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE remake every single cinematic. I don't care if it pushes the release date back a year, or you need to double the price. Give this game the attention to detail that it deserves.
You clearly don't understand what they're doing. Blizzard has the master files for those cinematics so all they have to do is drop in new models (and that's if they really wanted to) and just run render again at a higher resolution.

They did this exact thing between RoC and TFT to update Arthas's DK model in the Human Campaign ending. Yes, it's different between the two games. The most obvious change is the RoC version is lacking the furs on his boots.

Anyone who's used a professional 3D rendering program knows this is possible.

A model selector with model preview would be nice (either in the import editor or the object editor).

Ever tried to find that icon that looks like X, but you couldn't remember if it was an item or ability icon, and what was the name?

In some of my maps I have hundreds of models, but I can't possibly keep track of all the models I have imported, so it would be nice, if I got a preview of the models. (Same with icons)
You really don't want this as you'll never be able to remove a malformed rogue model from the importer. Not to mention if you load it into memory from the importer it will load whatever is currently in your map/campaign and not what you just imported as War3/WorldEditor loads on demand.

Why don't they use @Frotty 's WurstSScript?
Because it's not LUA.

Given the context, id have to say it's a compiler that can take code from one language and convert it into code from another language. Though that's just a hypothesis, I could very well be wrong.
thanspiler is a compiler that compiles(translates) between two languages of the same abstaction level. lul

Because it's not LUA.

Yes, very original answer. Bravo.

Level 3
Suggest to improve some core mechanic:
  • All Orb Effect , Buff Placer (eg: Frost Attack, Incinerate) , Attack Modifier (eg: Critical Strike , Barrage ) , Autocast (eg Searing Arrow ) ABILITIES should have option to stack with other . Also, Override Priority value.
  • Cooldown for PASSIVE ABILITY
  • Add Accuracy or just simply allow Negative Evasion or Negative Curse.
  • Add native function for Unit performe a Instant Attack ( a "basic" rightclick which ignore Attack Speed, Range, Stun/Disarm and also without using Animation or anything. Just "instant" , damage , effect from passive and item)
I dont know this will be possible or not but this will open so much potential for the game mechanic. Sorry for bad english

Level 7
This has probably already been mentioned, but I'd really like to see a proper damage detection system with the ability to detect what spell dealt what amount of damage/healing and the possibility to alter the damage/healing value. This would allow for a much higher degree of modification of spells without making them entirely based on triggers.
For example, if you want chain lightning to deal extra damaged based on your intelligence, you have to make a completely new chain lightning spell from scratch using triggers, because there is no way to actually detect (even with damage system) when chain lightning, or any other non-trigger spell, deals damage. Sure, you can detect when the spell is cast, but this is not very helpful when you're dealing with multi-target abilities.

Being able to make spell groups would also be nice. For example "if spell being cast is in <spell group>, do following actions".

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Isn't LUA an embeddable language?
Exactly. It is being added as a scripting language in parallel to JASS.

LUA is basically a light weight virtual machine for scripting with simple but usable language features and reasonable optimizations including runtime bytecode and possibly even JIT compiling (not sure about that). It is easily extended to add hooks/APIs for special purpose functionality such as counterparts to JASS natives.

Since the LUA virtual machine will run separately from the JASS virtual machine, communicating between them is hard.

That's why I wrote "most [...] well-written." Well, it could save Blizzard some work and introduce an official community-driven open-source component to WC3. Although maybe most if not all of these systems are pretty trivial to write for a professional team of developers?

In the same vein, I think it would be cool if original WC3 resources were replaced with fixed/optimized versions (like Ujimasa Hojo's), and if new resources or variations of original ones were added. Of course these would have to seemlessly fit into WC3.

But yeah, it's not going to happen (also not a very big deal).

Level 20
That's why I wrote "most [...] well-written." Well, it could save Blizzard some work and introduce an official community-driven open-source component to WC3. Although maybe most if not all of these systems are pretty trivial to write for a professional team of developers?
Using native systems is overall better for everyone involved. The more we can integrated in such a fashion and have them work the way they should the better.

Many of the user-created systems exist because they couldn't be done natively.

Level 5
The six-slot inventory limit has always been a thorn in the players' side. I hope they at least distinguish consumables like potions from equipment. Equipment makes sense to be limited, but both consumable and equipment in same inventory and limited to six, it's just illogical and unnecessarily constraining. Separating them can open doors to more creatively built mods, etc. Some fine SP/co-op RPGs is what I'm looking forward most, in the reforged's future.

Level 23
Why don't they use @Frotty 's WurstSScript?

Because it doesn't make sense? The point of wurst is to get away from the editor, and use more powerful external tools for tasks that benefit from it.
It also can't be easily shipped with the game, uses java, requires a standard library, etc.
Simply due to dependency on stdlib and other packages, plus frequent updates, including some static version of it is pointless. It already was pointless in WEX.

We will probably, eventually offer a LUA backend for wurst, which means you can compile your wurst code for arbitrary patch levels and targets and not have to rewrite anything.

Anyway, I think the move to lua and jass next to each other, plus perhaps intercom, will cause a whole bunch of new problems. GUI has intrinsics like CustomScript which will prevent it from easily outputting lua.
In the end it looks like only new mappers/projects will make decent use of it.

Level 8
I wish new campaigns to play. As Lord of Clan made by the community, and others who have association with Warcraft lore. All translated into Brazilian Portuguese and other languages.

Add similiar Dota 2 system called Localization. What makes available support to map more than one language.

Level 23
There has been much mention about portraits for ingame play, but there has not been mention of portraits in cinematics. While they will probably add the portraits for in game play since it would be hard to identify units otherwise, they might feel that portraits for cinematic might be unnecessary since the level of detail for the models is so high that they might think it won't be necessary seeing the face again in the bottom left corner (and this is a fair point). I just think that doing this would affect custom campaigns, since without voice acting, if there is no portrait during cinematic scenes it would be very difficult to know who is "speaking".

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
There has been much mention about portraits for ingame play, but there has not been mention of portraits in cinematics. While they will probably add the portraits for in game play since it would be hard to identify units otherwise, they might feel that portraits for cinematic might be unnecessary since the level of detail for the models is so high that they might think it won't be necessary seeing the face again in the bottom left corner (and this is a fair point). I just think that doing this would affect custom campaigns, since without voice acting, if there is no portrait during cinematic scenes it would be very difficult to know who is "speaking".
Don't worry. The UI will be manageable which means they modify it specifically for the Reforged version of the campaigns. That doesn't apply to other maps unless you yourself will modulate the UI.

Level 24

This exact thing. I always enjoyed the in-game cinematics for their comic book-like feel.

Blizzard really stepped up the RTS game when they introduced the portrait model. It helped develop a sense of closeness to your character.

Level 2
guys im really scared. Blizzard Stock is going downhill each and evry day pass by since Diablo Immortal hope this wont continue if it wont they might call off or cancel reforged and declaire bankrupt How sad.
Screenshot_20181120-224850_1.jpg

Last edited:
Level 11
guys im really scared. Blizzard Stock is going downhill each and evry day pass by sView attachment 310257 ince Diablo Immortal hope this wont continue if it wont they might call of reforged. How sad.
I don't know much about financial markets, but if Blizzard stock is going down because of Diablo Immortal, I suppose Diablo Immortal might get called off, not Reforged. Reforged announcement had a very enthusiastic reception, so why cancelling it?
Anyway, this is just speculation, we can't really tell right now what's gonna happen.

Level 24
Never have I ever imagined hearing Blizzard and bankruptcy in the same sentence. Wow!

I guess that's what happens when, for the last years, they've been putting out only shadows of their flagship titles. David Brevik was right, it was truly the people that made Blizzard great.

So, this begs the question. What will Blizzard do next? Stick to their roots or continue with that game that no one asked for.

Two-Buttons.jpg

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Never have I ever imagined hearing Blizzard and bankruptcy in the same sentence. Wow!

I guess that's what happens when, for the last years, they've been putting out only shadows of their flagship titles. David Brevik was right, it was truly the people that made Blizzard great.

So, this begs the question. What will Blizzard do next? Stick to their roots or continue with that game that no one asked for.
Don't worry. They're experimenting. They're good.

Level 24
I haven't bought a Blizzard product since 2012, when Diablo 3 released. A game which, mind you, I regret buying to this day.

I'm happy for them, that they're exploring new markets and demographics, but that doesn't do me any good. The Blizzard games that I like were made a decade ago. This experimentation on their part doesn't give me any hope for the future, since it seems that they don't intend to make games for consumers like me anymore.

(Classic games are excluded from this conversation)

Level 2
From what i am thinking i think it is Activision's fault that Blizzard is sloping down the graph in stocks. I don' think the merging was a very good idea in the first place. It only ruined instead of helping.

Level 12
I haven't bought a Blizzard product since 2012, when Diablo 3 released. A game which, mind you, I regret buying to this day.

I'm happy for them, that they're exploring new markets and demographics, but that doesn't do me any good. The Blizzard games that I like were made a decade ago. This experimentation on their part doesn't give me any hope for the future, since it seems that they don't intend to make games for consumers like me anymore.

(Classic games are excluded from this conversation)
QFT.
Last game I bought from Blizzard was Overwatch (imo best blizzard's game today). I bought also SC2. Mostly for single campaign and editor. Campaign storyline was bad.. and boring. Editor was not user-friendly. Modding community was also pretty much dead.
I wanted to buy D3. Hopefully they released demo... Imho graphics were 2eyecandy... story was meh... so i didn't buy D3.
Now I wait for Reforged.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
That or they just have to follow trends to survive. I don't like it either especially since they shoved microtransactions in but Immortal... it's even worse.
Overwatch (imo best blizzard's game today)
In what sense? Gameplay, story (isn't it just an online shooter?)? I think you can't compare RTS with shooters and Hack and Slash games...

Level 20
guys im really scared. Blizzard Stock is going downhill each and evry day pass by since Diablo Immortal hope this wont continue if it wont they might call off or cancel reforged and declaire bankrupt How sad.
I suggest you don't offer stock advice on things you don't understand. It has nothing to do with Diablo Immortal.

The official word is the under-performance of Call of Duty which is what made the news a couple weeks ago.

Level 14
The stock isn't falling only because of Diablo Immortal, but mostly because of bad financial results. The stock was overpriced basically and this is a correction.
Reforged isn't at risk at all since there is no reason to scrap it and (speculation) their budget is already so low they needed to hire a Malaysian company to make the art assets.

Level 2
The stock isn't falling only because of Diablo Immortal, but mostly because of bad financial results. The stock was overpriced basically and this is a correction.
Reforged isn't at risk at all since there is no reason to scrap it and (speculation) their budget is already so low they needed to hire a Malaysian company to make the art assets.
that's a relief. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.