1. Music Contest #10 - Results are finally published! Drop by to check some retro songs and congratulate the winners!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Join Terraining Contest #19 and witness the aftermath!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The 3rd Melee Mapping Contest is ON! Join in on a ride of a 4v4 melee experience!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 30th edition of the Modeling Contest is finally up! The Portable Buildings need your attention, so come along and have a blast!
    Dismiss Notice

Reforged Warcraft III Reforged - What we know... so far.

Discussion in 'Patch Discussion' started by Archian, Nov 3, 2018.

1. Standhaft

Standhaft

Resources:
    Resources:
    Interdimensional travel is not required in order to have alternate universes.

2. Duke

Duke

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I like the new style but those shoulderpads are just ridiculous

3. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    You're missing the point of connecting the lore.

4. NEL

NEL

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    If WC3's LUA can run in-game. That's a game changer.

5. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    LITERALLY. :D

6. Standhaft

Standhaft

Resources:
    Resources:
    Why would I want a new game's story to be ruined by being constrained by the trash that is WoW lore?

7. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Still missing the point. It's not about you, it's about the many fans out there both WoW's and Warcraft RTS'. Stories can be made in this universe which won't disappoint you, however erasing or changing WoW will not be an option at this point.

8. Standhaft

Standhaft

Resources:
    Resources:
    Why does your pov represent the fans and my pov just me as an individual?

9. SanKakU

SanKakU

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Azeroth 1, Azeroth 2. The characters don't have to be aware of the other dimensions and it doesn't have to have anything to do with time travel.

10. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    It's not my PoV, it's the company's. Did you even inform yourself a bit about Reforged or you just like to contradict in general?

11. Standhaft

Standhaft

Resources:
    Resources:
    Thank you.
    I am not required to conform to or research the party line when expressing my own desires for new content.

12. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Nothing stopping you or anyone to make a custom campaign with that. However, if you ask me, from a business point of view, WoW and the Warcraft RTS story lines and characters won't simply be erased because they attract the fans. Sure, a reboot with new characters set in the future after WoW or something like that or a story with new characters in between Warcraft games is possible and they might do it as seen with Diablo: Immortal, however, we'll just have to hope those games won't be for mobile and other platforms than PC.

We'll just have to wait and see. At this point, they are keen on connecting WoW to the RTS games. It's a smart move. Afterwards they can easily go to what you want. This way, they'll have both WoW and Warcraft RTS fans together before releasing a new Warcraft game.

Sorry for being too blunt.

13. khazmorian

khazmorian

Resources:
    Resources:
    Think it's safe to assume, people playing with old graphics will still see the old archmage and not a mounted Jaina.

14. pyf

pyf

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Well...

Warcraft III: Reforged Beta Access - Blizzard Support

As for me, the 'R' in WC3:R stands for Re-imagined, and not Reforged.

Of course, this is nothing but a personal opinion...

15. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Yesterday Will confirmed that LUA is being integrated as a map scripting language. It will operate in parallel to the existing JASS virtual machine and will likely have very limited capabilities for intercommunication between LUA and JASS.

This means full compatibility with existing maps will be maintained. Map makers can take advantage of LUA scripting without breaking any of their existing JASS and slowly port systems across as necessary.

16. Sieben

Sieben

Resources:
    Resources:
    I have very little knowledge about scripting/programming, so I'm not aware of the utility of LUA. But as I understand it, it's quite a big deal. What does it imply for Warcraft III and modding potential?

17. DoctorGester

DoctorGester

Resources:
    Maps:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    This is a huge deal and makes reforged so much better. I've suggested literally this in the feedback thread but labeled as a "huge undertaking" without really believing they would go through that. Seems like they did! Alleviating the performance, language and tool constraints is very important for both new and old modders. You will be able to use whole IDEs already made for lua, transpile other languages (e.g. Typescript) to lua, LuaJIT performance is stellar and is on par with something like V8 javascript and the language itself while might seem odd at the times is very tightly and rationally designed.

18. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Not having to use JASS anymore. If you used JASS you would understand why that by itself is an improvement.

LUA is also a frequently used scripting language in games. This would lower the entry experience required to write triggers in Warcraft III as you could come from any other game that uses LUA and feel right at home in Warcraft III. LUA also offers different language features from JASS so might make some systems easier to implement or more performant.
    I would not be surprised if the LUA is a general feature coming to Warcraft III and not just Reforged. There is a chance that we will see it before reforged is released but only time will tell.

That said I would not recommend discarding all your JASS triggers when LUA comes around. Only replace them as necessary, even if all new triggers are made with LUA. Especially for larger projects which have several thousand lines of JASS it is not worth while porting it all when the JASS scripts have already been debugged and function perfectly fine.

19. Archian

Archian

Site Director

Resources:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    They posted that the same day as i posted that. Anyway updated first post :)

Great news!

20. Wareditor

Wareditor

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    It has been confirmed that the art visuals are being outsourced to a Malaysian studio. Which is hiring right now to finish the night elves race.
    Source

Edit: Only the Intro cinematic will get remade.
    Source