• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft 3 (Documents Folder) Override

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hello,
I wan't to change my Warcraft 3 Documents folders name thats because I have a Reforged and Frozen Throne. And i don't want override or something. But If i change Warcraft III file name to "Warcraft III - Classic" thats doesn't working. If i enter the game again. The new folder was auto created.

Last edited:

pyf

pyf

Level 32
There is imho a language barrier issue here, presumably because of translation software.
What is a 'Warcraft 3 Documentaries folder', and what do you mean by 'override', please?

So far, I am guessing you have both v1.32.x (='Reforged'), plus another previous version of the game (='Frozen Throne'), all being installed currently in the same base folder. Is it indeed the case?

Maybe posting a screenshot of what the problem is, could eventually help.

Level 2
There is imho a language barrier issue here, presumably because of translation software.
What is a 'Warcraft 3 Documentaries folder', and what do you mean by 'override', please?

So far, I am guessing you have both v1.32.x (='Reforged'), plus another previous version of the game (='Frozen Throne'), all being installed currently in the same base folder. Is it indeed the case?

Maybe posting a screenshot of what the problem is, could eventually help.
It is quite simple, there is nothing incomprehensible. A Warcraft III file is automatically created in the Document folder for a newly downloaded game. When entering Reforged from Frozen Throne. Maps downloaded or saved data from Reforged. It is also processing on the Frozen Throne. I want to use this as two different files. Actually I found a solution but I can forget to do it.

First, I divide the Warcraft III file into "Reforged or Classic" according to the version of the game. I change the name to "Warcraft III" whichever I will play with later. However, this is a very convenient usage style for making mistakes.

The game automatically creates or saves the information to a folder named Warcraft III. Can't use a different name "Autosave" instead of Warcraft III?

Example: Warcraft 3 - Classic (
When I change his name like this right now. It creates a new file as if there was no data file)

Last edited:
It is quite simple, there is nothing incomprehensible.
The word "documentary" generally refers to a investigation video story about a piece of real-world history or circumstances.
The word "document" generally refers to files, maybe pieces of paper, and by extension has come to refer to computer files.
I believe this was the only confusion. If anybody substitutes the word "document" in where you said "documentary", then I think that everything you said makes complete sense.

However, there is one area where you can help us to help you. We do not know which version of the Warcraft III game that you are referring to as "Classic". It seems that you referring to "Warcraft III Frozen Throne Patch 1.31" as the "Classic". It is important to note that this version was developed by the Reforged team.

In fact, the only versions of Warcraft III that will use Documents/Warcraft III/Maps to store and view Map Files in the game are versions created by the Reforged team. So, if you want to use a version of Warcraft III that does not use the Documents folder in any way then I would suggest that you use a version of Warcraft III from before the Reforged team started their work at Blizzard. As far as I know, the newest patch that meets this criteria would be Patch 1.26 from 2009 or so.

Also, it is worth noting that Patch 1.26 has a severe security vulnerability so that maps that you play on this version could have a virus. However, that version will only look for maps inside of the game directory and so I have 15-30 copies of the Warcraft III game that I backed up over the past 15 years and with these older versions they are all "self contained". They only use maps that are in the folder of that copy of the game. It is a different way of thinking.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
In fact, the only versions of Warcraft III that will use Documents/Warcraft III/Maps to store and view Map Files in the game are versions created by the Reforged team. So, if you want to use a version of Warcraft III that does not use the Documents folder in any way then I would suggest that you use a version of Warcraft III from before the Reforged team started their work at Blizzard. As far as I know, the newest patch that meets this criteria would be Patch 1.26 from 2009 or so.
@Retera:
Patch v1.26 has been released in 2011 on Battle.net, and in 2015(!) on NetEase. This legacy version was the last one to have been developed by the original WC3 team.

The last version of the game that does not use the Documents folder is v1.27b. This one, as well as v1.27a, has been developed by a new team (a.k.a. the Classic Games team, a.k.a. the Reforged team from versions <=1.32.x afaik).

Robert Bridenbecker has been involved in all of them iirc.

Also, it is worth noting that Patch 1.26 has a severe security vulnerability so that maps that you play on this version could have a virus. However, that version will only look for maps inside of the game directory and so I have 15-30 copies of the Warcraft III game that I backed up over the past 15 years and with these older versions they are all "self contained". They only use maps that are in the folder of that copy of the game. It is a different way of thinking.
@Retera
People should download content only from safe and trusted sites.

They may be "self-contained", but it is also worth pointing out they are not portable, because they rely on information stored in the registry.

By Microsoft standards, using the Documents folder (and a few others) to store some of the data of any software, is the proper way to do things. This is related to how NT-based OSes work (especially when compared to their DOS / W9x counterparts). Some video game developers have adhered to these good programing practices since the 2000s (like for example the ones of Dungeon Siege, Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 etc.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.