• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Downloads Folder automatically creating a folder for every Blizzard map?

Level 3
Weird error of sorts I'm running into. My downloads folder is automatically creating individual folders of each Warcraft 3 multiplayer map.
1702256826498.png

It looks even more ridiculous in the Documents->Warcraft III->Maps->Download folder.
1702257021298.png

And if I delete them, they just come back when I launch Warcraft 3.
1702257050630.png

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling several times. I've even waited several days between reinstalls. Still getting this.

Has anyone run into a similar issue? Any known fixes?

Thanks in advance!

Level 29
Used to happen before:

Basically, having those weird folders inside "Downloads" folder should not stop you from doing anything. Those were an uncompressed folders that contain a vanilla maps by Blizzard (usually, melee). Deleting them won't even solve this problem, as the game will re-download them as they are essential, being part of the original installation, if you start the client.

However, there is a solution to make those weird folders not appear everytime when you start the game. You have to modify the permissions of that folder, which is located in C:\Users\[USERNAME]\Documents\Warcraft III\Maps. Right-click on it, then select "Properties". Now, switch to the "Security" tab and you have to follow the detailed instructions, as seen in the pictures below (look on the red boxes and arrows on each pictures).

Also, if you don't run the game with Administrator privileges, the game won't create those weird folders, which is very interesting.

Attachments

• Download Folder 1.jpg
    Download Folder 1.jpg
    402.4 KB · Views: 7
  • Download Folder 2.jpg
    Download Folder 2.jpg
    392.1 KB · Views: 8
  • Download Folder 3.jpg
    Download Folder 3.jpg
    400.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Download Folder 4.jpg
    Download Folder 4.jpg
    380.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Download Folder 5.jpg
    Download Folder 5.jpg
    376.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Download Folder 6.jpg
    Download Folder 6.jpg
    346.4 KB · Views: 7
Level 3
Used to happen before:

Basically, having those weird folders inside "Downloads" folder should not stop you from doing anything. Those were an uncompressed folders that contain a vanilla maps by Blizzard (usually, melee). Deleting them won't even solve this problem, as the game will re-download them as they are essential, being part of the original installation, if you start the client.

However, there is a solution to make those weird folders not appear everytime when you start the game. You have to modify the permissions of that folder, which is located in C:\Users\[USERNAME]\Documents\Warcraft III\Maps. Right-click on it, then select "Properties". Now, switch to the "Security" tab and you have to follow the detailed instructions, as seen in the pictures below (look on the red boxes and arrows on each pictures).

Also, if you don't run the game with Administrator privileges, the game won't create those weird folders, which is very interesting.
Got it, thank you! Yeah it did not seem to be impacting performance in any way - it just was weird and I was hoping to get rid of it.

Yep, this is just how it is for now, i'm afraid.
Just that it's not creating a folder for every map, just for melee.
Thankfully just the melee folders for sure!

Level 19
Please don't do anything about these folders and don't touch the folder permissions in this case.
The folders are named like this to make sure the exact file copy of the map can be found despite their duplicate names and many file versions. Should they have put it in another folder? Probably yes.

Iirc the hexadecimal is the sha-1 160-bit hash of the file.

Level 3
Please don't do anything about these folders and don't touch the folder permissions in this case.
The folders are named like this to make sure the exact file copy of the map can be found despite their duplicate names and many file versions. Should they have put it in another folder? Probably yes.

Iirc the hexadecimal is the sha-1 160-bit hash of the file.
Got it, thanks for the info!