• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Warcraft III Reforged - What we know... so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
whatweknow.png

• Warcraft III: Reforged Releases on January 28, 2020
  • Players who own the original Warcraft 3 will be able to play against those who own Warcraft 3: Reforged, and vice versa.
  • Players can switch back and forth between the old graphics and the new ones.
  • A new expanded and improved version of the World Editor we know and love i.e. the same editor but with upgrades.
  • Warcraft III: Reforged includes fully rebuilt models for every unit, building, and environment—all with distinguishing variations—as well as new animations, and high-fidelity music and sound to bring the original game into the modern era.
  • Map makers will get more options and tools for creating custom maps (including the tool that was used to create the models for Reforged)
  • Old/Classic Warcraft 3 maps will work with the Warcraft 3 Reforged Editor (some code and 3rd party additions to old maps may affect compability however)
  • Maps and other community created content made in the original Warcraft 3 are also compatible with Reforged.
  • All ingame cut-scenes and cinematics will be remastered.
  • Re-worked campaign locations/terrain to heal up the story between Warcraft 3 and World of Warcraft (Stratholme got a rework with the iconic city entrance)
  • All audio will get a quality update.
  • Some audio will be re-recorded.
  • Warcraft 3 Reforged are built with the same engine as Warcraft 3 Classic.
  • Launch on Battle.net platform
  • Warcraft 3 Reforged will contain a remaster of Warcraft 3 Rain of Chaos and The Frozen Throne.
  • Warcraft 3 Reforged is still a work in progress, much of which we've seen so far is not final.
  • Along with all the art updates, Warcraft III: Reforged now features female versions of male heroes and female versions of zombies.
  • The game will be fully voiced and translated into multiple languages, more than it was originally.
  • Support for the Classic Warcraft III and Reforged will continue after the release of the Reforged.
  • Campaign cutscenes will be edited and tweaked to fit and fill in the storyline from WoW.
  • Spoils of War: Upgrade to unlock four unique Hero skins in Warcraft III: Reforged.
  • Option to use a e.g. Jaina on horseback instead of the Archmage in melee.
  • Available in 13 Languages: English, German, French, Brazilian Portuguese, Spanish (Latin American), Spanish (European), Polish, Italian, Russian, Korean, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, and Thai.
  • In-game benefits include rejoining in the event of disconnects.
  • Hundreds of new triggers, LUA support, new tools for importing models, and a slew of other enhancements are in the works.
  • The UI is decoupled to allow the map makers to customize the UI in a way that they could not in the past
  • Generic units and portraits will get a unique look (e.g. Death Kinghts dont look like Arthas) too add more variety.
  • Each unit will look unique (campaign units, diffrent level creeps)
  • Warcraft III: Reforged Beta Access

Please comment if you have more info and I will add it to the list.

Last edited:

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31

Attachments

• Arthas.jpeg
    Arthas.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4,801
  • Chimaera.jpeg
    Chimaera.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6,172
  • DemonHunter(Female).jpeg
    DemonHunter(Female).jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7,535
  • Farseer.jpeg
    Farseer.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4,720
  • Ghoul.jpeg
    Ghoul.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3,690
  • Grunt.jpeg
    Grunt.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3,684
  • Jaina.jpeg
    Jaina.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3,958
  • Kel'Thuzad.jpeg
    Kel'Thuzad.jpeg
    939.7 KB · Views: 4,326
  • LordGarithos.jpeg
    LordGarithos.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4,462
  • Maiev.jpeg
    Maiev.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6,278
  • Mal'Ganis.jpeg
    Mal'Ganis.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3,950
  • MountainGiant.jpeg
    MountainGiant.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4,238
  • Necromancer.jpeg
    Necromancer.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4,644
  • Phoenix.jpeg
    Phoenix.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3,904
  • PriestessOfTheMoon.jpeg
    PriestessOfTheMoon.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4,161
  • SpiritWalker.jpeg
    SpiritWalker.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4,048
  • Sylvanas.jpeg
    Sylvanas.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 5,124
  • TaurenChieftain.jpeg
    TaurenChieftain.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3,811
  • TrollWitchDoctor.jpeg
    TrollWitchDoctor.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3,964
  • Uther.jpeg
    Uther.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3,823
  • FactionHumans.png
    FactionHumans.png
    38.9 KB · Views: 3,343
  • FactionNightElves.png
    FactionNightElves.png
    53.5 KB · Views: 3,378
  • FactionOrcs.png
    FactionOrcs.png
    56.7 KB · Views: 3,049
  • FactionUndead.png
    FactionUndead.png
    47.5 KB · Views: 3,324
  • ModelDetail_Human.png
    ModelDetail_Human.png
    184.5 KB · Views: 4,251
  • ModelDetail_Undead.png
    ModelDetail_Undead.png
    295.5 KB · Views: 3,836
  • HumansPreview.jpg
    HumansPreview.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 3,756
  • OrcsPreview.jpg
    OrcsPreview.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 3,760
  • UndeadPreview.jpg
    UndeadPreview.jpg
    278 KB · Views: 3,717
  • Logo.png
    Logo.png
    119.9 KB · Views: 3,074
  • ComparisonArthas.jpg
    ComparisonArthas.jpg
    695.7 KB · Views: 8,971
  • ComparisonBladeMaster.jpg
    ComparisonBladeMaster.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 3,489
  • ComparisonFootman.jpg
    ComparisonFootman.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 3,897
  • ComparisonGhoul.jpg
    ComparisonGhoul.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 4,040
  • ComparisonGnoll.jpg
    ComparisonGnoll.jpg
    643.9 KB · Views: 7,226
  • ComparisonGrunt.jpg
    ComparisonGrunt.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 3,767
  • Heroes.jpg
    Heroes.jpg
    672.1 KB · Views: 4,861
Last edited:
Level 1
Maps and other community created content made in the original Warcraft 3 are also compatible with Reforged

Will fan made custum campaign work in WC reforged, like MalfurionsQuest ?

Level 14
Maps and other community created content made in the original Warcraft 3 are also compatible with Reforged

Will fan made custum campaign work in WC reforged, like MalfurionsQuest ?
i would say signifciant issues are a guarantee especially when the game patching updates becomes a weekly occurance and an automatic things you can't opt out of when you upgrade to reforge.

The will probably test a few basic custom maps.

Custom Campaigns will more then likely break or have their custom models be borked or overwritten depending on unit path and any changes made.

All the recent patches the last few years since the first 1.28 hit can tell you what to expect. For legacy content. THe outlook is a major headache. Hopefully there is a classic and Reforged versions and not simply classic vanishing once you upgrade to Reforged.

All we have to go by is the patching constantly breaking everything last 2 years. Outlook isnt so good for legacy mod content surviving when patch updates become a weekly occurance considering SC1R weekly launcher updates.

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
Some more info:
"Available in 13 Languages: English, German, French, Brazilian Portuguese, Spanish (Latin American), Spanish (European), Polish, Italian, Russian, Korean, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, and Thai"

"In-game benefits include rejoining in the event of disconnects --"

"--Hundreds of new triggers, LUA support, new tools for importing models, and a slew of other enhancements are in the works."

"The UI is decoupled to allow the map makers to customize the UI in a way that they could not in the past." -MMOChampion Panel Recap

Level 11
Some more info:
"Available in 13 Languages: English, German, French, Brazilian Portuguese, Spanish (Latin American), Spanish (European), Polish, Italian, Russian, Korean, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, and Thai"

"In-game benefits include rejoining in the event of disconnects --"

"--Hundreds of new triggers, LUA support, new tools for importing models, and a slew of other enhancements are in the works."

"The UI is decoupled to allow the map makers to customize the UI in a way that they could not in the past." -MMOChampion Panel Recap
Dammit, this sounds really good!
Especially the World Editor part!

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
This is awesome why exactly? Because current year?
I thought this was a remaster of an old game, keeping units' appearance as close to original as possible.
Possibly because it opens up new options for many map makers, possibility to create more female units (which were lacking in every other race than the Night Elves) and the other way around. I'd also aspect female players (why not male too) would prefer to sometimes play with a different stylized hero than normally. Overall it adds variety to the game, which equals in more options and choices. Can't really imagine this being a bad option to have.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Possibly because it opens up new options for many map makers, possibility to create more female units (which were lacking in every other race than the Night Elves) and the other way around. I'd also aspect female players (why not male too) would prefer to sometimes play with a different stylized hero than normally. Overall it adds variety to the game, which equals in more options and choices. Can't really imagine this being a bad option to have.
Maybe it was just supposed to be a cultural thing as in the tribal women of the horde were not warriors but took care of the young and household. But I agree, some units like Witch Doctor and Shaman (+Far Seer) could be women.

Level 2
I don't mind having choices and additional skins for melee and custom maps, but I hope default army composition stays the same as it was. In campaigns, too, because they are supposed to be the same campaigns as 16 years ago. You could always have male sentinels and female druids, as well as night elf mages and human shamans in wow and wc4.

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
I don't mind having choices and additional skins for melee and custom maps, but I hope default army composition stays the same as it was. In campaigns, too, because they are supposed to be the same campaigns as 16 years ago. You could always have male sentinels and female druids, as well as night elf mages and human shamans in wow and wc4.
  • Along with all the art updates, Warcraft III: Reforged now features female versions of male heroes and female versions of zombies.
I think it is pretty clearly stated that the female variants are on-top of the male variants, so it is your pick which you'll use.

Level 1
I read in an article that Pre-ordering the Spoils of War Edition gives you 4 Custom Skins for Warcraft heroes? But nothing on the actual site package description seems to indicate any such thing, my question being, does Buying the Spoils of War Edition grant me anything extra for Warcraft 3 Reforged? If so, great, i'll get it, if not, don't care i'll just buy the Standard Edition.

Last edited:

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
I read in an article that Pre-ordering the Spoils of War Edition gives you 4 Custom Skins for Warcraft heroes? But nothing on the actual site package description seems to indicate any such thing, my question being, does Buying the Spoils of War Edition grant me anything extra for Warcraft 3 Reforged? If so, great, i'll get it, if not, don't care i'll just buy the Standard Edition.
Yes, 4 custom skins to be used in melee.

Level 12
No. You can play with old graphics against Reforged and the other way around. It's what the quote you replied to said. I hope you understand now.
IMO they will not implement this :) at least not in ranked games
Everyone would only use old graphics (more FPS)

I hope they will remake last mission from RoC.
It would be great if you could pick which race you want to play before start of the mission.

Level 6
IMO they will not implement this :) at least not in ranked games
Everyone would only use old graphics (more FPS)

Everyone will have 60+ fps tho.. don't think that's the reason why people would use classic.

People will use classic in ladder because they will know what is happening. They'll have the item icons they know, the units they know, the heroes, etc.

But StarCraft:Remastered has this, so I'm pretty sure that WC3:R will have it too.

Level 13
Some more info:

The LUA support is what surprises me. YDWE and MAYBE 1-2 other eastern devs use LUA/war3 integration. I'm honestly excited to see what I can do with this, but the lack of LUA tutorials on Khan Academy is RIP.

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
I'm not finding verification of "Spoils of War: Upgrade to unlock four unique Hero skins in Warcraft III: Reforged" anywhere online. Clarify?
"The Spoils of War Edition: Upgrade to unlock four unique Hero skins in Warcraft III: Reforged, and pre-purchase to get your hands on exciting bonus items from your favourite Blizzard games, like the World of Warcraft Meat Wagon mount, The Third War Hearthstone card back, and more!"

You can download the document attached to this post, or download it from the original source.

Attachments

• BlizzCon2018WarcraftIIIReforgedPressKit.zip
    5.5 MB · Views: 254

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
What do we know about the "improved" editor so far?

I am worried it is going to be an "upgrade" like SC2 editor and just be an ultra confusing impossible to learn mess.
The Reforged Editor will be like the Warcraft 3 World Editor. The developers wan't people to feel at home. Rob Bridenbecker stated that the World Editor compared to the Galaxy Editor is much more user friendly and they want to keep it that way. Easy to learn, difficult to master.

Keep in mind that Reforged is using the same engine as Classic Warcraft 3 and is built with the same World Editor (but with all new assets and upgrades)

Level 8
The Reforged Editor will be like the Warcraft 3 World Editor. The developers wan't people to feel at home. Rob Bridenbecker stated that the World Editor compared to the Galaxy Editor is much more user friendly and they want to keep it that way. Easy to learn, difficult to master.

Keep in mind that Reforged is using the same engine as Classic Warcraft 3 and is built with the same World Editor (but with all new assets and upgrades)

Cool, well, that's hopeful then.

Level 10
DEMON HUNTRESS!!!
hope they give opposite gender to other heroes too whos class arent gender-specific like Dreadlords or PotM

Level 8
feedback about models:

I think the grunt shoulder armour edge should be a brighter metal color instead of black,and the shoulder armour had better to extrude metal spines,like original painting in warcraft or wow,it will look nice.Moreover,the peon’s feature is not defined,the ear has a bit small .

Attachments

• A3UETDM82G1V0032.jpg
    A3UETDM82G1V0032.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 400
  • A3UETE352G1V0032.jpg
    A3UETE352G1V0032.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 400
  • QQ图片20181105212601.png
    QQ图片20181105212601.png
    548.9 KB · Views: 387
  • QQ图片20181105212903.jpg
    QQ图片20181105212903.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 371
  • QQ图片20181105213222.jpg
    QQ图片20181105213222.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 399

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
All the people concerned about the editor being more complicated:

From a business standpoint, it wouldn't make sense that they hired a hiveworkshop member to make us an "official" blizzard-supported version of Newgen/WEX with vJass integration just to then make it pointless by making ANOTHER editor.

So the editor upgrades they are talking about are pretty much what they are currently working on by patching the current WC3 version. We get new editor features every patch currently, and it will ultimately result in the new editor they talked about on Blizzcon.

So we can be pretty sure that the general workflow will be the same and that the only real difference might be extra features like vJass integration with syntax highlighting and possibly a UI editor and model converters as plugins.

They won't make this Galaxy 2.0. Because that would be too hard to do with backwards compatibility of old maps.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
So the editor upgrades they are talking about are pretty much what they are currently working on by patching the current WC3 version. We get new editor features every patch currently, and it will ultimately result in the new editor they talked about on Blizzcon.
True, however there will be Reforged and classic Warcraft III in parallel. But, I guess you're right as Reforged is still part of the Classic Team, no?
They won't make this Galaxy 2.0. Because that would be too hard to do with backwards compatibility of old maps.
I was thinking more of Reforged maps won't work on the classic version.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
True, however there will be Reforged and classic Warcraft III in parallel. But, I guess you're right as Reforged is still part of the Classic Team, no?
I supposed they will coexist just like ROC and TFT coexist. Remember that for a very long time you could never play TFT maps with only ROC installed until blizzard merged both versions a few patches ago.
So WC3 reforged will probably get a new map file format (I would vote for .w3r, but thats already reserved for replay files) that gets automatically created by the editor as soon as you use one of the Reforged features.

I was thinking more of Reforged maps won't work on the classic version.
I am pretty sure that this is a given. But W3X maps didn't work in ROC either, so that's not surprising.

Bottom line is: consider Reforged like a new WC3 expansion just like TFT. TFT had backwards compatibility, but added lots of new features to both the game and editor.

EDIT:
Now that I think about it; imagine how they could have scored style points at blizzard by not calling it a WC3 remake, but an actual WC3 expansion with a new campaign...

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
Now that I think about it; imagine how they could have scored style points at blizzard by not calling it a WC3 remake, but an actual WC3 expansion with a new campaign...
Now that you mention that is true. But they haven't denied possibility of new campaigns - I actually think they are very likely to do so.

Blizzard mentioned that both, Classic Warcraft 3 and Reforged will be on the same Launcher on Battle.net.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Now that I think about it; imagine how they could have scored style points at blizzard by not calling it a WC3 remake, but an actual WC3 expansion with a new campaign..
What sort of expansion are we talking about, one based on engine enhancements? Because, frankly, it's a reboot.
Now that you mention that is true. But they haven't denied possibility of new campaigns - I actually think they are very likely to do so.
I bet they will sell it afterwards like the Nova Covert Ops, if they plan it.

Status
Not open for further replies.