• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Will you stop playing classic Warcraft 3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that Reforged is right around the corner I have a question to the active Warcraft 3 players. It's pretty much in the title, will you stop playing classic Warcraft 3 and mainly play Reforged or will you wait until the custom Reforged resources becomes many and varied enough to make decent custom maps?

Well it's good to know that at least one person will play my map :p Hopefully I can start working on making it compatible with Reforged some time after I release it. If there's enough custom models of course. Some of the really good custom models can probably be used in Reforged too without it looking way too off. There's some nice screenshots in the media section that shows Reforged with old custom models.

Level 11
The old graphics will always be the preferred ones for me, and I will probably always return to classic WC3. Reforged graphics are nice, and it's interesting to see WC3 brought to more modern looks. However, old graphics is the real WC3. At least in my opinion. It's quite similar to Runescape - there have been multiple versions with updated graphics, and yet, most fans preferred Old Runescape, which is why OSRS was released.

You can call it nostalgia, but I disagree - it's the atmosphere and the feel of the game. Newer graphics just don't have that spirit. Not to say they bad or anything.

Level 2
I would probably bet a lot of money that if you had these new graphics to begin with 17 years ago, you'd be saying the same thing about a further upgrade now ;). I've seen people say the same thing when talking about WC3 from WC2 heh.

Newer graphics just don't have that spirit. Not to say they bad or anything.
I am pretty positive to the new models to be honest, in spite of what everyone else are saying. Just wait till we get the full power of the Reforged editor at our disposal with fog effects, nice animated trees and whatnot, maybe the atmosphere will feel the same. Idk, I have to test it myself first to be honest.

Level 11
I would probably bet a lot of money that if you had these new graphics to begin with 17 years ago, you'd be saying the same thing about a further upgrade now ;). I've seen people say the same thing when talking about WC3 from WC2 heh.
If I would have never seen classic WC3 graphics? Maybe. But I am a sucker for older graphics in games. Because they are usually much more expressive, more interesting, and the atmosphere and spirit they create is amazing. I think that realism is not always good in video games.

Level 10
Depends on how difficult it will be to edit reforged models. I need to at least be able to wrap different textures on them without it taking too much time and looking shitty. If it proves too hard I will probably just use edited ripped WoW models.

That being said, community will not lose anyting with me not participating as I haven't been able to finish a single project in the last 13 years.

Level 2
If I would have never seen classic WC3 graphics? Maybe. But I am a sucker for older graphics in games. Because they are usually much more expressive, more interesting, and the atmosphere and spirit they create is amazing. I think that realism is not always good in video games.

I dunno, I'm not so sure older graphics is the issue. There are plenty of modern 'expressive' and stylised games. It seems realism is what you aren't keen on, but that is the last word I'd use to describe Reforged lol. It's still very fantasy in theme.

Status
Not open for further replies.