1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Reforged Warcraft III Reforged - Community Feedback

Discussion in 'Patch & Reforged Discussion' started by Archian, Nov 4, 2018.

1. Sorceress

Sorceress

Resources:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Make better and easier hosting options for games.

Maybe make it so people can join while a game is running?

2. MatiS

MatiS

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    Add a better tech tree for high elves in undead campaign. They should have their own building and footman models. And the High elf hero in the Fall of Silvermoon should be Anasterian, not a random Archmage (with some extra audio, it's already recorded for WoW 8.1). Same tech tree should be used in the blood elf campaign in TFT.

3. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Or they could just change WoW so that it is a generic Archmage defending it. Yeh makes as much sense as changing WC3 after all...

Considering how little people get to actually play with the Blood Elf tech tree, I am not sure if it is worth the effort to make a fully unique one. Many of the Blood Elf missions do not allow you access to the standard tech tree, or expose you to other tech trees.

4. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I'm nearly sure both of these can be achieved using
    GetLocalPlayer()

I agree ^_^
    About the techtree. It'd be interesting to see some uniqueness in the techtree. Though, as it was, I did not mind it. Their techtree was a mixture of human and night elf units (footmen, archers, ballistae), with the arcane sanctum units, which combines well with their origins and history. They also had the unique Dragon Hawk.

The stats of their units were also unique back in RoC:
    High Elven Swordsmen had -20 hp, +1 armor and attacked about 0.2s faster than regular Footmen;
    High Elven Archers had 280 HP, 9-20 piercing damage, no Elune's Grace, and 1.00s attack rate.

In the TFT campaign, the blood elves' swordsmen and archers' stats are, indeed, the same as footmen and patch 1.07 night elf archers.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  5. stan0033

stan0033

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    • An option to create custom soundsets. Please BLIZZARD PELASE
    • tools for creating symmetrical maps
    • thw dialogs to be able to be horizontal in addition to vertical

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  6. starter_e

starter_e

Resources:
    Resources:
    Someone probably already mentioned this:
    pathing maps matching size and shape and rotation of model

7. Napoqe

Napoqe

Resources:
    Resources:
    I have seen that they will offer the same tools that made the models of game. They could make (if want and one suggestion) a technology to make models of humanoid, wolves, etc easy to do. Thus, it would continue good culture of the World Editor.

I see Blender tutorials from humanoid and beasts, I think it hard to do. However in the future I will learn to do them in the faculty of game creation and development.

8. stan0033

stan0033

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Imagine what wouldbe if players could late join and re-join in games. We could make the next world fo warcraft in wc3 :D and with databases yeah boy

9. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    @stan0033 That's a concept RTS should smarten up and leverage. For another purpose, inclusively: players should be allowed to join in replacement of leavers. This should be possible unless the game has marked that player slot as having been defeated (lost all units, etc).

The mappers' current workaround is to create a force, in the game lobby, holding a pool of substitutes. The downside of this approach is: no one wants to sit idle doing nothing... Possibly for the whole duration of the game.

10. Jumbo

Jumbo

Resources:
    Resources:
    On the fly joining of games is a dream for many RPGs, RPs, and Escape maps. Allowing a game to go on for hours and hours with new players joining after game start. Completely agreed with you @Sorceress.

11. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
  12. stan0033

stan0033

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    • More screen effects and custom screen effects

13. Napoqe

Napoqe

Resources:
    Resources:
    Correct me if I'm wrong.
    But Scourge campaign I think has to separate the parties that the player only controls Sylvanas Windrunner and Vampirism, not counting the first. With those of the Arthas and Anub'arak. Since Sylvanas Windrunner and Vampirism become enemies of the Scourge. Also have to change the technologies of the Sylvanas Windrunner army? Putting the Forsaken in place of the Ghouls, etc?

14. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Since they'll re-record voices for characters, I hope they'll have the decency to get Chris Metzen as Thrall.

15. stan0033

stan0033

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    • Able to use resources from outside the map file, not just imported.

16. ahunter8056

ahunter8056

Resources:
    Resources:
    PLEASE get Justin Gross back to re-record his lines as Arthas, or at least someone with a similar voice. Patrick Seitz did a poor job of voicing Arthas in WoW, his voice was too deep and lacked emotion. I really don't want him back for Warcraft 3: Reforged.

17. Relentless12425

Relentless12425

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hello everyone!

I understand that a lot of people have things they want to hear from forum posts, and I suppose if I really wanted my voice to be heard I'd try to cater to those hot button topics, but right now I'd like to talk about my personal feelings regarding a lot of the art choices in Warcraft III Reforged. There are two major things I'd like to talk about: the in-game, in-mission cinematics, and the models for many of the units, which were presented at Blizzcon 2018.

To begin, I'd like to compare the in-mission cinematic that took place at the beginning of the culling in the original Warcraft III () to the one that took place in Warcraft III reforged ( Start at 4:42). The first thing I notice is a lot of the background. I can definitely appreciate the increased attention to detail and the close ups between the characters, but I feel those sort of exchanges come at a serious cost. What Warcraft III lacked in animations, it made up for through the environment. Notice the rain in the original cinematic, and the intro shot that clearly highlights its presence at the very start of the cinematic. Notice the way Arthas stands on a tall mound overlooking his comrades when he decrees that the city must be purged (At 1:20 in the video I linked), a hill which he had originally used to get a good view of the city. All those things in the background and in the environment feel so purposeful that the environment around the character hardly feels like background at all. It's as though the environment is a part of the characters themselves. It helps to tell their stories, like rain expressing sadness or height expressing authority.

The cinematic I saw in Warcraft III Reforged seriously lacked that effect. The backgrounds of all the cinematics from start to finish in The Culling felt complacent to me, as though the improved graphics were able to carry the story that we all know and love on their own. The improved graphics, motion, and feel of the characters presented in Reforged were not enough for me to justify this soap opera like style, as I would think of it. I don't like how the camera simply goes back and forth between the characters and the environment has almost nothing to do with the exchanges between the characters. I feel that the way the characters would turn feels too level and robotic. That freakishly large armor on their shoulders is wonderfully reminiscent of other Warcraft games, but it doesn't feel like it's meant for these close up shots to me because it makes motion feel so much less fluent. I say save those close ups for out of mission cinematics and simply leave the in-mission cinematics the way they were, using the updated models. Warcraft III was a perfect game already, I can appreciate the update in graphics but I do not appreciate changes to gameplay or story content. Perhaps improvements to customization in the Editor or custom games are acceptable, but I don't think that serious changes to melee content would be a good idea.

Secondly I'd like to talk about the art choices regarding specific units. Some units that I really liked were the Footmen, Necromancers and the Dreadlord. There is something I do disagree with about all of the models though, and that is their call to be overly realistic. The bodies are not as bulky and broad shouldered as they are in the original Warcraft III, they are more in line with World of Warcraft or Diablo, and this game should not be a remake of any game other than Warcraft III in my opinion. For example, the skeletons and militia are highly reminiscent of the skeletons and militia in Diablo. The helmet of the militia and the wooden shield seems to draw a connection to Captain Rumford and his band of merry men in Tristram in Diablo Three. I think that some of those iconic bulky pauldrons would do the skeletons a lot of good, and shinier armor more akin to the original for the militia. I really loved the thematic uniformity between the units in Warcraft III.

That said, I do acknowledge the very valid statement that, with such complex graphical detail it can become difficult to differentiate between units and therefore each should be made more clearly separable from others, but I think that problem can be solved by simply recoloring. For instance, as Grubby puts it in the video I linked to this post, the footmen were more difficult to identify without that bright outlining on the shield and I think that can be accomplished even with the presence of high graphics. I feel that with serious color differences, such as those that exist between the blueish color of ghouls and redish color of abominations creates a certain discord in the undead force that I feel might actually make things more confusing when those blueish colored ghouls come into contact with say, Night Elves, which are also known for having a similar color skin, or when those militia meet an army of orc units that might have similar leathery brown armor. I feel that having a unity of artistic theme within each race, such as that which exists in the original game, would be much better because in such jumbled mess as a battle having discord within a race's army would worsen the issue I imagine these differences may be trying to address.

Overall, I feel that the game's artistic style draws too much for outside titles such as StarCraft 2, Heroes of the Storm, World of Warcraft, and Diablo III. Take for instance the ghoul. In remastered the ghouls are fleshy and seem especially drawn from World of Warcraft, even if they are lacking that sort of mane of rotting hair that they have in World of Warcraft. The original ghoul seems much more skeletal and has much less flesh, with a clearly visible rib cage and a dedicated, clawing attack that doesn't look more like a flail than an attack. I feel that Warcraft III has an art style all on its own that doesn't have to draw on other sources, and a simple sophistication of that style rather than a completely new art style would be the best choice. After all, a lot of players who will be the consumers of this product will be returning players, and because of that fact I would appreciate something more along the lines of StarCraft Remastered which doesn't take away from the artistic style of the original very much.

Unlike many others, I do like having skins and custom UIs included in the game, because I feel that gives me some control of correcting the artistic problems that I find in the game, but of course I feel that this should be modelled on the original Warcraft III where these can be created and open to modders in the same fashion of the World Editor or JASS code. I doubt of course that is going to happen what with the potential profit of microtransactions and the existing system of skins involved with StarCraft II, but heck, I can dream can't I?

18. Razorburst

Razorburst

Resources:
    Resources:
    oh, and that they change the shape of the (rectangular) regions that can be drawn in any way, I'm tired of having to play tetris with the regions so that the shape of them fits the map

19. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I think that would mean changing the engine even further. I don't think they'll do this, at least not too soon even if for custom mapping.

20. Razorburst

Razorburst

Resources:
    Resources:
    or they dont change the regions, but adds a function in the triggers that let you do same things like if that 2 be one regions