1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Music Contest #8 - Hive Soundtrack is up! Create the soundtrack for the upcoming videos of Hive Workshop's YouTube Channel.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Check out the entries of the latest Mini-Mapping Contest: Stealth! Cast your vote for here!
    Dismiss Notice

State of the Union (Warcraft III)

Discussion in 'Patch Discussion' started by StoPCampinGn00b, May 13, 2017.

1. StoPCampinGn00b

StoPCampinGn00b

Community Manager

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:

[​IMG]

State of the Union (Warcraft III)
    12 May 2017

So, where exactly are we? Things broke, then most of that got fixed, but some of problems still aren't squashed. Okay, let's look at it from another angle: Warcraft III has been getting a flurry of patches for the first time in quite a few years. What's even more outstanding is that Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos is nearing its 15th birthday. Consider that and the fact that this game is not only alive and kicking, but getting attention from big Blizzard himself.

Now the attention given so far hasn't been all and only pretty. It's just blind consumer culture loyalty to deny that. However, with Blizzard's big recent statement, we can rejoice - or at least be content with doubt. It addresses the recent problems 1.28 caused. There's promise for a public test realm (PTR) for players test the patches before release. They reaffirm their priority to make sure things don't break, along with adding improvements and fixes for both the modding / custom games and ladder community. Yes, World Editor features, melee map pool, Battle.net delay, balance, etc are going to be addressed in due time. It's also been said that Battle.net 2.0 integration is on its way. This means Warcraft 3 will be fully included with the BNet launcher, bots won't be needed to easily host and find games, better connection, cross platform communication with players from SC2, OW, etc, and more.

The reality was that in the previous patches, modding tools did break and other bugs arose. This is not to say that Blizzard knew that they would break, but the scale of the 1.28's changes in the background just couldn't mix well with advanced modding tools, with the MPQs and other files being shifted, along with the entire patching system being changed and upgraded. And while the implementation of this new patching system has its quirks right now, it was one of the most absolute essential steps towards updating the game quickly and more efficiently.

The best thing we can all do right now is provide constructive feedback. The Hive Feedback Team and Blizzard are actively reading forum posts on Hive, along with gathering feedback from other sources. I personally want to thank those who've been spending time and dedication to help improve the game. The community has ran the show for a while, and a joint effort between the different WC3 communities and Blizzard is essential to work towards a bigger goal.

What is this bigger goal? We can speculate. Take a look at the hint of Warcraft III Remastered from Pete Stilwell, the Senior Producer of Classic Games. As many of you know, Starcraft: Remastered releases this summer. The original Starcraft and its expansion, Brood War, are also now available for free. It only makes sense to have the same business model of Starcraft. If we follow the trajectory of which Blizzard is shooting for with Starcraft: Warcraft III is going free, and a new total remaster for the game that you can buy releases some time after. While this hasn't been officially confirmed yet, there's enough proof - and hope - to say that this is the future of Warcraft.

Related links:
    The Future of Warcraft
    Summary In Video Form! Back2Warcraft feat. Hive Workshop
    Patch Notes
    On Host bots

EDIT: If you want to post this to your blog, another site, or if you're some god from PCgamer or something, please give credit and include a link here. Thanks!

Last edited: May 20, 2017
  2. StoPCampinGn00b

StoPCampinGn00b

Community Manager

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    So this was a mini-article summarizing the state of Warcraft 3 as of today, detailing the effects and important information about the recent patches and what's to come. Ah, and the "State of the Union" is a parody of this: State of the Union - Wikipedia
    You can add up the pieces and figure out that this was a Warcraft version of SotU.

Personally, this could warrant a spot as news, but ultimately I felt that it''d be a redundant to have too much patch threads on the front page. Some people have been messaging me to promote it to the front page, so I put it under the JASS class news. Cheers.

Comments are appreciated :)

Last edited: May 13, 2017
  3. countcardboard

countcardboard

Resources:
    Resources:
    nice read. sadly a lot of players do not appreciate what's happening and just flame blizzard for not implementing balance patches... which is so short-sighted.:sad: keep up the good work and coverage!!! :smile:

4. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Resources:
    Wonderful idea, putting all the stuff together like this, and well presented.

You forgot to mention how Blizzard is totally gonna skip all that boring balance & map-pool stuff to add more Neutral Tavern Heroes, though. Yep, totally.

#NewTavernHero2020

5. Mr.Goblin

Mr.Goblin

Art and Graphic Design Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    We need proper light and shadows physics! I know, I've said it before ;D but it's true! :D

6. hypsandar

hypsandar

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    "Warcraft III is going free, and a new total remaster for the game that you can buy releases some time after. While this hasn't been officially confirmed yet, there's enough proof - and hope - to say that this is the outcome for the future of Warcraft."

But if it goes free... Those who bought it will have the remastered/vip version?
    I mean, I had to pay 3 times because of some issues in the past..............
    We should at least get something in return for buying the game in the first place, no? ;-;

7. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Nope, that is bad luck, is all.

Same as for SC1, the Star Wars MMORPG, all other games that go free at some point...

8. Lord_Earthfire

Lord_Earthfire

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Well, to be honest, you were able to enjoy the game 15 years before anyone else who would get it for free. And considering the amount of game-hours many got out of that, thats a fair step to be made.

9. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    True, true, it's not that I am complaining about it.
    Just saying that it doesn't automatically mean that there will be something for people who paid for it.

10. Misha

Misha

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    urr.. was it just me or that talk video with blizzard really had that stupid sound slowdown?

11. Eat_Bacon_Daily

Eat_Bacon_Daily

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I really hope we are moving towards a WarCraft III Remaster/HD and not a WarCraft IV. Especially since Dustin Browder and David Kim have moved to "unannounced projects". StarCraft II was a real let down in the social, casual and custom game aspects, which is really what I care about the most. Having those guys work on WarCraft would likely result in another let down. It would be even cooler if, instead of a remaster they made a stand alone expansion, with campaigns new units and heroes. The WOW lore-eaters would be buy it and nostalgia players would certainly return.

12. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Resources:
    I'm actually kind of ok with it not being Remastered, honestly. The best thing about that would be free LAN parties. But I don't think it needs fancy graphics (in fact I'd kinda rather it stay low-poly) and all that.

If I could choose, I'd be way more excited about new units, heroes, races (no way), campaigns/stories (nooo way); an expansion would be insane (nooooooooo way).

13. Spellbound

Spellbound

Resources:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    HERESY!

I would like SOME degree of improvement to the visuals. I don't mean the whole nine yards like sc2, but at the very least HD textures and dynamic shadows. What I would really, really like, however, would be for lightning effects to not draw on top of everything. It would make them more like beams in sc2. Also to be able to display mana bars along with the health bar (and even give the user the option to add new ones, like a shield/armour bar).

I mean, sure, but imagine what an improved engine could mean! New natives???? And I don't just mean stuff like moving special effects around (I imagine you should be able to do that in the current engine), but stuff like UI customisation. I would really, really love the ability to customise the UI.

14. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Resources:
    Nope. Don't really care. In fact, HD textures would start to mess with the whole aesthetics in my opinion (unless they HD-ized EVERYTHING, stuff's gonna look out of place. And if they do HDify it all, then that essentially invalidates +80% of our current resource sections). Blizzard did something extraordinary with their extremely limited models; the textures are a strange mix of big, blocky, high-contrast junk, with a surprising amount of detail woven in there. Most of the times they didn't add complexity via the mesh, but often enough through the texture.

Now this stuff I'm all for; back-end stuff (that might have graphical consequences), or fixes to graphical problems. And all that other stuff (new natives, new utility, UI-modifying), totally.

But I'm creating a distinction (perhaps an unnecessary/unrealistic one) between "changes/fixes to the game" and "additions/reworks to the game". I would love nothing more than for them to (once this patching system thing is done) fix all the problems with both gameplay & modding... Then start adding all sorts of fun new functionalities (primarily for us modders)... But then after all that, if they're thinking "let's add something... Like a Remastered version with HD graphics & all-new blahblah!!...", I would, personally, say "bleh". Would rather have the aforementioned.

Just my $0.02 : )

15. Spellbound

Spellbound

Resources:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Haven't they already HD-fied everything (or a lot) with the wc3 assets they supplied the Sc2 modding community? A lot of the low-polly stuff already look significantly better just by existing on a modern engine, so that's one way they could make things look better. That being said, I don't think HD textures would be the doom of the existing resource. One reason I heard that the sc2 community is struggling with custom models is because sc2 stuff have a rather advanced level of skill requirement to make them work. They have things like specular maps and what have you. I not arguing for all that stuff, just better textures. Making high-resolution textures is significantly easier than having to make high-poly models, or animation. (would probably need a 3d modeller to weigh in here).

16. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Resources:
    So all that "Sc2-ized Wc3 stuff" is very cool, very detailed, I like it. I'd even be interested to see it play-ready. But none of those models, I believe, fit into Warcraft 3 as it stands now. All the current/existing Wc3 art assets (& a huge percentage of the custom ones here) would not fit in with them, and so would be displaced, In My Opinion.

But again, I'm no modeler/texturer. And it's not really my say; Remastered may be the way to go simply because it's easier (?) than all my other wishlist/suggestions.

17. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I wouldn't expect to see a Warcraft Remastered so soon. Remember StarCraft is just 3 races. Warcraft III is 4 races plus the enormous plethora of creep and campaign models, not to mention all the environments and tilesets. Turning all of that HD is gonna take quite some work.

Alchemist should have been the final one. If you notice, heroes took the 2 bottom rows of the Tavern command card. Which became full after Alchemist.

Since the maximum is 3 heroes, they could theoretically occupy the rightmost button of the first row, but I don't think so.

Last edited: May 14, 2017
  18. Systemfre1

Systemfre1

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    I really doubt they'll remaster wc3, specifically because of the patches they're releasing. It's more likely to be wc2 that gets remastered, and wc3 to just be updated a butt ton

19. A]mun

A]mun

Resources:
    Resources:
    Nice post, i somehow missed that video.

Also good points @Kyrbi0, Wc3 is still alive because of custom- games and art.
    The graphics are good enough to be enjoyable (especially true with well made terrains, like Rise of the Vampyr or KalimdorTA and the likes).

20. Wardota2 Gamer

Wardota2 Gamer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Hey StoPCampinGn00b can I tell this news into my new website blog? I will credit you