• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft III Reforged - Community Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
Units with slighty diferences between them: In Medieval II Total War for example, they designed a system where the models of a unit (group of units) swap parts of a set (heads, arms, legs, chest) creating a unique combination of soldiers for that unit. In our case would be something like, you create a footman, then the footman have his armour but someone have the helmet, others don't or a variation; a few have a short cape or even tabards... so once you select them they are all footmen right but slighty different between them.

Level 3
That sort of thing is implemented in starcraft 2 for dark templars, i think they had 2 or 3 model variations with different weapons and maybe a bit different armor...
That reminds me:
Submodels, a la GoldSrc/Source: Models could have multiple submodels that can swapped out with triggers and the Art - section of the Unit Editor but still use the same skeleton. So Orc grunts could have submodels that corresponded with the different clans, like with the models of Gandulfo, Ujimasa Hojo etc. This is already kind of present in WC3 where throwing weapons and lumber and gold bags and the like are only rendered during certain animations, but it'd be nice to have more control over that stuff.

Speaking of, if the Gold and Lumber models could be seperated from the models and made part of the gather ability, that'd make things a whole lot cleaner for custom race makers.

Custom sound sets should be implementable through simple text files, i.e. you write the paths of the soundfiles you use for each response (and are free to choose how many what, pissed, attack etc. files you want to use). This way, you can use voice clips from units already in the game, but exclude clips that contradict the lore of your unit, for instance (so we won't have racist worgen in custom race maps or ordinary units claiming their father to be a king)

Death Sound should also be choosable, rather than bound to the model (and it would be great if more death sounds were implemented for the same unit)

Decay Time would also be appreciated if made editable per unit type rather than primarily controlled by global triggers (So buildings without traditional death animations could be made to disappear on death rather than hanging around for an undeterminable amount of time)

A birth size value for buildings, allowing the user to have a building grow from one size to another upon construction like they do when upgraded, or in the animations of Night Elf Buildings, would probably be too nitpicky to ask. Instead, like how I proposed an interpolated/smooth movement function, an interpolated/smooth size change function would also be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

pyf

pyf

Level 32
3) Lighting - Warcraft 3's lighting engine is highly outdated. As a matter of fact, it was outdated even when it came out. Ensemble Studios' Age of Mythology managed to create a much better implemented lighting engine around the same time Warcraft 3 came out. [...]
Despite the fact that the original official requirements for WC3 were a "8 MB 3D video card [...] with DirectX® 8.1 support", the list of supported video cards show that Blizzard was targeting Direct3D 6.0 / OpenGL 1.2 compliant 3D accelerated hardware from the 1998-2000s era, such as (at worst) the Nvidia Riva TNT, the Intel i810 family of chipsets, the 3dfx Voodoo3, or the ATI Rage 128. Blame a four year development cycle which started in 1998, for a different kind of game.

The minimum DirectX version required for Age of Mythology and its BANG! Engine in 2002 was DirectX 9.0 afaik. The game also required a 16 MB 3D-accelerated video card iirc. In 2014, 'Age of Mythology: Extended Edition' improved the rendering of water and lighting (among other things).

Last edited:
Level 24
Image Functions Suggestion:
Not sure if image function has been mentioned in the thread, but it would be nice if we didn't have to manually remove alpha channels on every single image just to use image function. These black bars will appear with all images unless you remove alpha channel. It's pretty annoying.

Attachments

• Images.jpg
    Images.jpg
    906.5 KB · Views: 137
Level 1
Hi Pete Stilwell,

I do hope that warcraft 3 reforged would include the following details which would definitely make warcraft 3 reforged an improved and more fun game.

1) New races in reforged:

Having a new race or 2 would definitely create the new hype for more people to explore as some may be good in orcs or other races already and new players may be able to start off with new races as a way to compete with the older players.
This would also create the hype which is the same as warcraft 3 first launch release.
We believe that the ideas could be drawn out from the races from world of warcraft which would eventually be a good idea to be used in the reforged.

2) Character design :

The characters could be made more cooler and cuter as the game shouldn't be too serious.
The current paladin and main character didn't look as cute or fun as the old hero during the blizzard convention showcase.
We do hope that the game wouldn't look to be too serious as it's really missing the key points of warcraft 3, which it's key elements are fun, funny, competitive and looks cool to play with.
The previous version had all the key components in which makes it a very successful game.
As we do hope the newer version would simply have new competitive maps for 1v1 and 2v2 as most competitive plays focuses on these 2 arenas.
Just please don't make another dota 2 character as dota 2 really makes warcraft 3 looks bad.
My hopes have always been that warcraft 3 have a whole list of characters which looks really cool and we hope for more to come.

3) Item shop:

We do hope also that item shops would provide items that certain race could benefit from.
For instance certain items would be good for certain race or certain heroes or probably new items such as

4) Tavern shop:

Tavern shops could easily reuse heroes from world of warcraft as new heroes to be played in competitve maps during 1v1 or 2v2.

5) New heroes :

New heroes could be created from world of warcraft or heroes from the storm and inputted into the hero list for the current races.
Probably blizzard could help to improve in the character design but using back skills from heroes from the storm.

6) Race frame missing in game:

The frame for the race during the hero's being clicked went missing, as it was really warcraft 3's icon which stands out and shouldn't be removed.
For instance when you use nightelf, you'll see leave box up frame around your character or building that you clicked.
That frame shouldn't be removed, however should be improved with nicer design i feel.
It was really warcraft 3 iconic design and if you remove it, everyone will know that this isn't warcraft at all.

7) hero's combo :
We do hope that new units or new heroes could help to improve in the combo during the battles.
in the past, we have orcs where witch doctor's static trap & farseer's lightning with tarun chieftan's wave could easily take out undead's mass fiend's combo.
We hope that either elements could be added that probably new units could help to balance the game better or so or probably could fortify new strategies in play.
Just don't create new units that are redundant and unpopular in game.

8) design of game should be similar to heroes of the storm :

Design of game should be similar to heroes of storm as their grasses and landscape looks really perfect for warcraft 3 reforged to be used.
Obviously if warcraft 3 reforged uses heroes of the storm landscape or trees or buildings in warcraft 3 reforged, it would look perfect!
Heroes of the storm's color and character design suits warcraft 3 reforged perfectly.
IF warcraft 3 reforged were to use this interface as a guideline they will definitely reach higher heights with it!
Even the skills of heroes in heroes of the storm, could be even brought over to warcraft 3 reforged nicely as new skills or unit skills which have never been done before but only been used in dota games.
Actually, heroes of the storm operating system is perfectly fine for warcraft 3 reforged as their character design and colors of the landscape is perfectly good to be used for warcraft 3 reforged even the size of the chracter is perfect.

9) Races additional points :
My take for this would be warcraft 3 reforged could use skills from heroes of the storm to be used to create new unit's skills and new units.

10) Maps
Maps could be improved like using map that could include japanese trees or such as other trees or landscape that you could find in this link below.

11) Introduction illustration :
The illustration and story telling in campaign mode should be like the ones from heroes of the storm or could follow the explanation from this link.

Even the buildings look perfect for warcraft 3 reforged.

I've always been a core hard fan for warcraft 3 but the hype died off in the past.
We really hope that you'll look into this feedback for more ideas and hope that warcraft 3 reforged would be the perfect game for the future.

Best Regards,
James

Level 1
After reading about Pete Stilwell, i terribly lost faith in Warcraft 3 Reforged.
Source: I'm very concerned about Warcraft 3 reforged. I have no confidence in the WC3R develop team : WC3
LoLz mon, i be thin'n dat netease wnna skrew da Reforged togeder with Diablo immoral.

This guy nailed it.
he definiteli did mon.

He is the man to "Make War3 Great Again".
luLz, i see wat ya men there mon
edit: ingame purchises mon. gud t'ing that i did'nt pre-order mon.

Last edited:
Level 2
I think all AAA companies are going to fall this 2019. Right. Sacrificing customer good will and artistic creativity for short term gains really kills it. Micro-transactions here and there. Following fornite and mobile games to the pc user space is really a very big mistake.

LoLz mon, i be thin'n dat netease wnna skrew da Reforged togeder with Diablo immoral

its Immortal.

Hopefully it will be fixed.

I was thinking about additional races. Some people are against it, but if they are only available in custom maps or when toggled on in melee custom and single player games, everyone would be happy.
It would also be cool if they added race factions (e.g. Default/Blackrock/Warsong/... for Orc) which are basically just the base race with different skins and models (maybe one unique unit or a couple of unique abilities or something).
I doubt Blizzard will add either though.

Last edited:
Level 7
Reskins I could see happen considering that's a thing that exists in Starcraft II already.

Edit; in the Frozen Throne orc campaign, chapter 2 Old Hatreds, when you're in Mulgore doing the quest Rescue Cairne's Son, you're supposed to meet up with Bovan Windtotem and his spiritwalkers. There's a cinematic when you enter their village but Bovan Windtotem's lines have no accompanying audio.

Last edited:

Rui

Rui

Level 41

Wrda

Spell Reviewer
Level 25
Knowing about this Netease made me uneasy. So, if I understand correctly, they steal people's maps and go off making money with them in China?... That only makes me clamor for community map protection tools even more.
To be honest I don't think map protection stops that if they are disgusting enough for take advantage of people's maps and make money out of it, they have totally 0 respect regarding every person who has been creating maps for fun...

Reactions: Rui
Level 3
Hi,

You know the issue with "unit is attacked" but the damage not dealt , (attacker hold ,stop etc) that why we need dmg,indexers engines.

Will Warcraft devs fix this? with new Event or something??

Cos i see they release new patches and make Reforge.

Level 11
Hi,

You know the issue with "unit is attacked" but the damage not dealt , (attacker hold ,stop etc) that why we need dmg,indexers engines.

Will Warcraft devs fix this? with new Event or something??

They are going to add a generic attack is launched event, I believe.

Level 2
To be honest I don't think map protection stops that if they are disgusting enough for take advantage of people's maps and make money out of it, they have totally 0 respect regarding every person who has been creating maps for fun...
you don't have to worry brother, Blizzard is going down the grave.
Screenshot_20181225-155000.jpg

map protection is not enough.

Last edited:
Level 8
You mean directly in GUI? It already exists in JASS
Adding it to GUI would be sweet.
I need a custom script line that queues animation by its index. So far, I found only the one that queues it by string.
Would you kindly PM me or post here what you know of it? I've spent some time searching the hive forums, and the threads showed me that there's none. Several users claimed that one can call animation by index (that I know myself), but that there's no such option for queue, unless you create custom functions
in JASS.
To play animation I'm using this:
Code:
call SetUnitAnimationByIndex(udg_FctVAR_Cycled_Unit, udg_FctVAR_AttackAnimIndex)
ByIndex doesn't exist for Queue.

True/False?

Level 12
I dont know if someone already mentioned it, or if it is possible in editor already (I think not), but It would be cool if every player could have his own minimap that differs from others (my minimap would in that case be different than your minimap) AFAIK there is only one "shared" minimap for every player

Wrda

Spell Reviewer
Level 25
Adding it to GUI would be sweet.
I need a custom script line that queues animation by its index. So far, I found only the one that queues it by string.
Would you kindly PM me or post here what you know of it? I've spent some time searching the hive forums, and the threads showed me that there's none. Several users claimed that one can call animation by index (that I know myself), but that there's no such option for queue, unless you create custom functions
in JASS.
To play animation I'm using this:
Code:
call SetUnitAnimationByIndex(udg_FctVAR_Cycled_Unit, udg_FctVAR_AttackAnimIndex)
ByIndex doesn't exist for Queue.

True/False?
I'm afraid I kind of misunderstood what you meant, also I misread "adding queue animation by index" for "set animation by index". I've searched a bit there isn't really any queue unit animation by index, you're right.

I dont know if someone already mentioned it, or if it is possible in editor already (I think not), but It would be cool if every player could have his own minimap that differs from others (my minimap would in that case be different than your minimap) AFAIK there is only one "shared" minimap for every player
Each player has its own minimap that differs in what aspects? That's so vague.

Level 7
Hi Pete Stilwell,

2) Character design :

The characters could be made more cooler and cuter as the game shouldn't be too serious.
The current paladin and main character didn't look as cute or fun as the old hero during the blizzard convention showcase.
We do hope that the game wouldn't look to be too serious as it's really missing the key points of warcraft 3, which it's key elements are fun, funny, competitive and looks cool to play with.
The previous version had all the key components in which makes it a very successful game.
As we do hope the newer version would simply have new competitive maps for 1v1 and 2v2 as most competitive plays focuses on these 2 arenas.
Just please don't make another dota 2 character as dota 2 really makes warcraft 3 looks bad.
My hopes have always been that warcraft 3 have a whole list of characters which looks really cool and we hope for more to come.

Oh god, please no. Finally they can make it more serious as they wanted in the first place, they went for the goofy "cuter" look because of engine limitations. Reforged is restoring the intended visual you can see from the concept arts (not to mention the previous two instalments of Warcraft rts). Please Blizzard don't ruin it with goofy look, its already stylized enough.

Level 8
Attention! Do not mistake this post for help request. I explain the issue and provide current working solution (known to hive members), which could be simplified with a small tweak to World Editor.

Another topic to discuss: creating (and saving to) item types (in fact, integers) from hashtables. Adding a preset line to trigger actions wouldn't hurt.
To create an item from item type stored (as integer) in hashtable, one has to do it manually via custom code, since available GUI preset actions work only with items and item handles, but not types.

For example:
For a random inventory slot (IndexA 1 to 6=max inventory size):

After initialization, generic custom item types are stored as arrays. Then I distribute some individual (virtual) item hashtable stats to units. Finally, these units should get real items in their inventory associated with additional data stored in hashtables.
I do not wish to spawn an item to save its handle (because it doesn't load when you remove item afterwards, and I cannot allow waits, and many other reasons).

Instead, I save item types of all items (by inventory index and unit's unique ID, for each in-game unique unit) to hashtable as integer:

Code:
call SaveInteger(udg_HashtableName, GetRandomInt(1, 6), udg_UniqueUnitID,udg_ItemTypeArray[udg_ItemTypeIndex])

then, to create an item of a specific item type (which will be given to unit shortly after being created) loop IndexA=(1 to 6):

Code:
call CreateItemLoc(LoadInteger(udg_HashtableName, GetForLoopIndexA(), udg_UniqueUnitID), udg_TempPoint )
, remove leaks etc.

then, whenever necessary, item types of items in inventory slots must be saved: item type=TempItemType, loop indexA=(1 to 6):

Code:
call SaveInteger(udg_HashtableName, GetForLoopIndexA(), udg_UniqueUnitID,udg_TempItemType)
In fact, same idea as the first code line.

Last edited:
Level 10
- Add "Folders" into Variables section, so we can put some variables in the folder and make them easier to find (which variables are for which triggers). Just like Trigger Editor.
1.jpg

2.jpg
I think it is also good to add folders to the Sound Editor and Import Manager. And we can delete the folder instead of find files and delete them one by one. Because some maps use a lot of files and sounds.
1.jpg

2.jpg
And in the Trigger Editor/Variables section/Sound Editor/and Import Manager allow us to create folder into folder.
Example: we've created a folder with the name of "Abilities" in that folder we can create new folder hook, arrow, shockwave and ....

And let us to drag sound up and down instead of clicking with the mouse.
3.jpg

5.jpg

Last edited:
Level 8
- Add "Folders" into Variables section, so we can put some variables in the folder and make them easier to find (which variables are for which triggers). Just like trigger editor.
1.jpg

2.jpg
That's a brilliant idea. As of now, I have to call all important variables (especially the ones that cannot be recycled, due to their real time check) in a specific way (with prefixes, thus wasting the name length on them), or it becomes a mess. And trust me, if you haven't worked on a project for a couple of months (or even years) and return to it, you don't want to spend hours trying to understand what atrocious unspeakable things you did in the past, that your past self decided to punish your future self with this never-ending glory list of variables. Whilst comments help with trigger structure and parts within triggers, it is very unsettling to keep a manual track of variables. The worst part is when you create several variables for a large chunk and then find a way to recycle some, and won't need that many after all. Then the fun part starts when you have to remember and weed out the unused ones. Folders could bring us salvation. Regrouping for the visual purpose only is akin to Blizzard's own editor () suffix part for each unit/ability etc.
Vars.jpg

Last edited:
Level 9
Some Suggestions:

Reforged I wish that do not end up with dialogue textboxes. Because most community campaigns I think are amateurs and do not have voice actors for speaks and talks.

The hotkeys of the classic and reforged items have to be different (for me it's bad). Can be customized, defined by map maker, etc. On my keyboard, which follows the Brazilian structure, the numlock numbers are so far away that I think it takes 2 seconds to reach with my left hand on them, or I have take away my right hand from the mouse to use them. Also counting on the confusions.

Last edited:
Level 9
I read some of your link texts. And I think most cases do not require this complexity. Just look at the example of Dota 2, but I also think this option good however it does not cover the part of the items.
I think it would be cool if Blizzard made a graphic interface in the game options for hotkeys. Besides making it more comfortable for most players and helping those noobs.

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
.mdl, .blp .... All of these art stuffs. I was afraid that they only reforge some of them, maybe only what in melee and campaigns.
Well, the campaign contains more than the melee assets (basically all of the game's artistic resources) and those will be modified as already mentioned by the Classic Team. More than that, there will be new skins/models too.

Level 9
One of the main goals of Reforged is new game arts, but with the same classic Warcraft 3 gameplay. Maybe the only arts that will not have "Remake" are the bonus like those of Starcraft like Marine, etc. However, could import from 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.