• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft III - Patch 1.27b

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
Man, I kind of wonder what their philosophy is behind these mediocre updates... Are they going to plan a big update in the future? Are they just sort of polishing up stuff? Who's their audience? Obviously all of us here still love Warcraft 3 and still play it, but we're not going to be impressed by these paltry changes. Are they making it more accessible before offering a digital download?

Roland

R

Roland

Finally, Some attention from hive!, Can't wait to test this shit out <3

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Erm, any news about the maximum filesize for LAN?
I am guessing its 128 MB, seeing how both LAN and online have always shared the same limit.

As great as 128 MBs is for a limit, I would like to remind people that it is not an excuse to bloat your maps unnecessarily with custom content. It might only take someone like myself ~10 seconds to download such a map (>10 MB/sec), but for a lot of people in the world it could take minutes, possibly even hours. Such maps will also take a long time to upload, for example on a MMH robot it would take roughly 10 minutes per client, at best.

Reactions: pyf
Level 19
@Ralle and I are betting it's just a compatibility patch that continues off of 1.27a. This should not be the 'big patch' we are expecting with our talks with Blizzard. However, with any patch, we'll keep everyone updated with details on this thread if anything notable happens!
didnt read that at first. so, when big patch is awaited? like, it's been a year already. promises, promises, nothing more, nothing less.

Level 19
They never promised any ETA, didn't they?
And honestly, I'd rather have a big patch some day rather than never. I am happy with what I am getting, cause considering how old WC3 is - it could've been nothing.
players leave wc3 every day, game didnt receive new blood for a few years, yet u guys are ok with that, ok with waiting even longer for nothing . fuck this life.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

I suppose its nice to be able to do that without fully saving the map, but it will be totally useless for vjass users.
Yes. Maybe the save times on 128MB maps can get agonizing, especially if you just wanted to check for syntax errors. Great pre-emptive thinking on their part!

SpasMaster

Hosted Project: SC
Level 23
players leave wc3 every day, game didnt receive new blood for a few years, yet u guys are ok with that, ok with waiting even longer for nothing . fuck this life.
But that's the thing: we will receive new blood. This patch itself, no matter how small it is, is something I thought I would never get and is apparently just a step. Can we take a moment and appreciate that fact? That we are getting any update whatsoever? The game is old, it's golden times are long gone. From a business standpoint they don't owe us anything whatsoever, yet they are doing it anyways. And keep in mind that, once again, from a business standpoint, they gain nothing from this. They pay a classic team to work on old games but get no revenue from that because everyone already has the game.

What would you prefer: no update of any kind ever again.
Or: slow updates and eventually a big one after awhile?

Or is the problem here that we aren't getting everything we could possibly ever want right here, right now?
Why appreciate that something is happening with Warcraft at all (while it easily couldn't have been the case) when we can complain that it isn't coming in much larger quantities... immediately?

Time to download the entire map section into a map! (Maybe not)

God, 125 is a lot, we can actually use those really HD models with HD textures for multiplayer maps now. Still has to pretty low poly though, since I doubt this fixes that bug where vertices fliest all over the screen if too many is on the screen.

This is especially good for rpgs, and maps that takes place in "non-medieval" settings, and therefore has to use a lot of custom imports.

Does this affect possible map sizes in any way? 1024 x 1024 maps would be hilarious, you could build, like entire mmos in that.

Anyway, woohoo!

Last edited:
Level 19
But that's the thing: we will receive new blood. This patch itself, no matter how small it is, is something I thought I would never get and is apparently just a step. Can we take a moment and appreciate that fact? That we are getting any update whatsoever? The game is old, it's golden times are long gone. From a business standpoint they don't owe us anything whatsoever, yet they are doing it anyways. And keep in mind that, once again, from a business standpoint, they gain nothing from this. They pay a classic team to work on old games but get no revenue from that because everyone already has the game.

What would you prefer: no update of any kind ever again.
Or: slow updates and eventually a big one after awhile?

Or is the problem here that we aren't getting everything we could possibly ever want right here, right now?
Why appreciate that something is happening with Warcraft at all (while it easily couldn't have been the case) when we can complain that it isn't coming in much larger quantities... immediately?
over the year we managed to collect memory hack from scratch, getting into whole wc3, tons of new natives and stuff. having only asm-debugger. while there's pure C-code (unless stated wrong there is) with proper func, variable names, etc. surely they arent' obeyed to do anything, so I did not obey to pray onto them. yet it doesn't make sense for me. Im sure I could get into C from my aknowledge of web-programming and make it to now with bigger changes than that.

Surely, thanks for supporting that, guys, yet where's your actual net value? Like, there's 3 pages of pure BUGS, not even talking about new things.
Nothing. Yet another year passed out. And some people so stubborn believing that something may return old players? trololo.

This game need breathing while there's players still. Few more years and only chinese ladder guyes will left over here

Last edited:
Level 4
Mmm... has anybody checked if campaign cinematics are still broken with the new patch? And there was a unit group (in game, not WE) for some people, including me (I have to use shift+number instead of ctrl+number because it won't save the groups with the latter method, and there's a stutter each time I try to).

The 128mb map limit is great nes, though ^^

Level 27
Doom 1 Came out in 1993, almost a decade before WC3, and the modding community is still strong and standing proud sooo, what makes Warcraft 3 any worse? Your pessimism is unfounded.
So, where we can download this patch??
Just log into Battle.net for game to download it.

Level 6
Doom 1 Came out in 1993, almost a decade before WC3, and the modding community is still strong and standing proud sooo, what makes Warcraft 3 any worse? Your pessimism is unfounded.

Just log into Battle.net for game to download it.

The situation here is different. Here theres still a chance of having the melee scene alive again because the game itself is too good. You guys from modding dont seem to notice this.

Level 50
So, is SC2 the last big RTS? If SC2 modding was ever a thing Hive would probably have 3x current members and this update wouldn't cause hype we have in here. And I highlighted that because you can draw out a conclusion from both sc2 resources and official description of website that Hive made a mistake for not doing enough in transition to better version of word editor.

8 to 128 change limit is a drastic one. And this limit removal is a big invitation to modding scene to make the best they can with all the resources they need. Such maps on multiplayer will give Blizz the insight on how really popular wc3 still is. Fact is that mods keep dinosaur games alive while good mods bring back the activity. So, Hive should do everything possible in helping relevant projects to eventually and hopefully become great mods.

Level 6
So, is SC2 the last big RTS? If SC2 modding was ever a thing Hive would probably have 3x current members and this update wouldn't cause hype we have in here. And I highlighted that because you can draw out a conclusion from both sc2 resources and official description of website that Hive made a mistake for not doing enough in transition to better version of word editor.

8 to 128 change limit is a drastic one. And this limit removal is a big invitation to modding scene to make the best they can with all the resources they need. Such maps on multiplayer will give Blizz the insight on how really popular wc3 still is. Fact is that mods keep dinosaur games alive while good mods bring back the activity. So, Hive should do everything possible in helping relevant projects to eventually and hopefully become great mods.

If they dont fix the spamming issue, the hacckers and the game list limit, theres nothing to do here. Even with the best mods ever, the players numbers would be ridiculous.

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
Absolutely agreed.

Sadly, it is too late now for Hive to adapt to SC2 modding.
If Hive had tried to do so back in 2010, who knows...
It is most annoying how many good opportunities have been ignored by Hive.

EdgeOfChaos

E

EdgeOfChaos

Absolutely agreed.

Sadly, it is too late now for Hive to adapt to SC2 modding.
If Hive had tried to do so back in 2010, who knows...
It is most annoying how many good opportunities have been ignored by Hive.
That's not really fair. Hive did try to support sc2 modding. But the sc2 modding never had a community like wc3 did, and could never develop one. Honestly: sc2 mapping sucked. Popularity system killed any desire I had to map, and the editor was weird too. Also much less units, and no one made any custom models. SC2 mapping lacked the soul that WC3 mapping had. There's a reason I'm back in wc3 even though I bought sc2.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
So, where we can download this patch??
From here:
Patching Classic Games

Doom 1 Came out in 1993, almost a decade before WC3, and the modding community is still strong and standing proud sooo, what makes Warcraft 3 any worse?

The Doom / Doom2 modding community had the amazing DeHackEd tool and some others, all developed from *scratch*.
Id Software has always been very supportive to its modding fan community.
The Doom source code was released in 1997. This allowed for the development of *many* source ports.

Lastly, it is my personal guess, PC gaming enthusiasts of the 1980s and 1990s were also computer techs / geeks at heart. Remember, these were still the days of MS-DOS (if not of CP/M, but I was already too old for this one).

Last edited:

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
In order to adopt a scene properly, I have to adopt the scene myself. I didn't. I don't much have the time for that sort of thing unfortunately.
That is hardly an excuse.
Others would have been able to adopt.

If you say you are unable to adopt due to the lack of time, no one but you is affected.
HOWEVER, saying that the Website shall not be able to adopt
if you are not, is the perfect sign that Hive is unable to be progressive
as long as you are in charge.
That has a strong affect on the website you love, Ralle.
And this, Ralle, is dooming your dream of Hive being your life one day.

There, I have said it. Didn't want to but I did.

SpasMaster

Hosted Project: SC
Level 23
Hive made a mistake for not doing enough in transition to better version of word editor.
Better technical =/= better overall.
Every time I think of Galaxy Editor I want to puke at how shitty it is. Not in terms of "amount of things you can do + possibilities"; yes the possibilities are far greater there. Does that make it a better editor in the end of the day? You be the judge by asking yourself this question: When Starcraft 2 is ~14 years old, will it have the same amount of (passionate) modding fanbase as Warcraft does today?
I am ready to bet it won't. To be quite honest with you, I don't think the Starcraft 2 modding base can even slightly compare to the Warcraft 3 one.
And that's for many good reasons.

But in my books World Editor is a better editor than the Galaxy Editor... and it's one by a longshot.
Whether an Editor is 'good' or not is not limited to the possibilities it offers. There is much more to it (*cough* user friendliness *cough*)
if you are not, is the perfect sign that Hive is unable to be progressive
The way I see it, 'adapting' to Starcraft 2 will be "regressive" rather than progressive. Starcraft 2 modding scene is barely existent and will be dead within few years. Mark my words: Warcraft will outlive it.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
The way I see it, 'adapting' to Starcraft 2 will be "regressive" rather than progressive. Starcraft 2 modding scene is barely existent and will be dead within few years. Mark my words: Warcraft will outlive it.
Yeah. Thing is, StarCraft II doesn't even have a Custom Campaign option/section.
Even Brood War got more attention to modding along the years...

Level 19
never saw doom being in top-10 twitch games. just like heroes 3, thats cool game with many forkes, but barely catch 100+ players daily. u wish wc3 share the same fate?

Status
Not open for further replies.