• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Patch 1.31 announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdgeOfChaos

E

EdgeOfChaos

If you want an old version of WC3, you have to download the zipped game from someone. You will obviously not be able to play online unless using a utility like ENT Connect or Eurobattle.

Level 9
- This wouldn't have happened if you backed up your maps
- This wouldn't have happened if you played on the PTR
- This wouldn't have happened if you didn't keep complaining and demotivating Blizzard and rushing them
- Okay, it's broken but they're trying really hard and it's old code!

These don't translate to = Blizzard did nothing wrong.

To me at least, they are just general notes for the future that everyone should realize. I'm pretty sure everyone here - including Blizzard - knows they messed this up, but complaining, whining and calling names and cursing don't do any good to anyone. I know emotions can be hard for someone to control, but please, even try.

I do not think it's the last patch because there are several things to add in the editor, and also many errors to correct. Hopefully it is not the last patch, since they could add some more things to the editor of the game.

Probably the missing features will be tested during the Reforged beta, if they even plan on sill add new stuff before the full release

Wrda

Spell Reviewer
Level 26
Wait.........wait....wait wait wait wait. WAIT! I just opened 5 different maps. After it loads i left clicked the mouse on screen and it crashed. For. Every. Map.
What the actual shit is this.
I have never seen such a retarded bug like this, does any one has also this problem?

EdgeOfChaos

E

EdgeOfChaos

Ironically, the most emotional posts are the ones trying to defend Blizzard.

Please don't confuse criticism with flaming.

Level 9
These don't translate to = Blizzard did nothing wrong.

To me at least, they are just general notes for the future that everyone should realize. I'm pretty sure everyone here - including Blizzard - knows they messed this up, but complaining, whining and calling names and cursing don't do any good to anyone. I know emotions can be hard for someone to control, but please, even try.
First of all, its therapeutic.
Second, Blizzard collaborate with Hive and presumable have someone reading these threads for feedback. If they feel bad about name-calling - all the better. Maybe info about fanbase outrage will reach the ears of team leader and he'll give his employees an earful. That would motivate them to fix this mess faster, and also be, you know, justice.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
And where are you supposed to report it
Here, and/or on their forums of course:
Warcraft III: Reforged Forums
I do not think it's the last patch because there are several things to add in the editor, and also many errors to correct. Hopefully it is not the last patch, since they could add some more things to the editor of the game.
So, it's not the last patch because it's not.
Also:
Please use the green Edit button at the bottom of your posts and add text there instead of writing one post after another of yours unless it's an important update.
Site Rules
So how do you downgrade Warcraft 3?
I tried to reinstall the game, but the game already had the latest patched installed.
Soooo does this mean we have to resort to piracy if we want to work on maps?
[Need Help] Back to 1.29
Patch 1.30.4 Backup Game Files

Level 9
Well, it is nice you try to see it that way but ''- This wouldn't have happened if you didn't keep complaining and demotivating Blizzard and rushing them!
- Okay, it's broken but they're trying really hard and it's old code! ''

Those 2 lines meant it.

No they don't. It's just something you say to make others understand the other point of view. Like if someone worked for 24/7 and then fell asleep on the job, you could say to someone "well, you know, it's hard to work all the time and not sleep at all." It doesn't mean that they didn't do a mistake by falling a sleep, just that you could try to see the things a bit from their perspective too. You know, emphasize. You don't need to mock and bum everyone down all the time - it's not like it's a matter of life and death here (and even then ill talk just makes everything even worse).

No they don't. It's just something you say to make others understand the other point of view. You know, like if someone worked for 24/7 and then fell asleep on the job, you could say to someone "well, you know it's hard to work all the time and not sleep at all." It doesn't mean that they didn't do a mistake by falling a sleep, just that you could try to see the things a bit from their perspective too. You know, emphasize. You don't need to mock and bum everyone down all the time - it's not like it's a matter of life and death here (and even then ill talk just makes everything even worse).

Well thing is those lines are trying to defend Blizzard by bashing people: This wouldn't have happened if you didn't keep complaining and demotivating Blizzard and rushing them!, Okay, it's broken but they're trying really hard and it's old code! and someone even said GO MAKE YOUR OWN GAME!

Just come on it's not communities fault at all, and we are not trying to say Blizzard did everything wrong, in paper patch sounded epic as f. But it did not work in practice

From patch Warcraft perma lags for me, offline, in bnet chat/lobby, and in game. (someone from disord group has same experiene)

I have my desktop task bar at top (task bar=where some shortcuts, opened programs, and date/time etc is binded to). When I switch between warcraft <-> desktop using ALT+TAB, the task bar remains in warcraft, and won't go away. With having the task bar at bottom, like default, it will be hidden as expected when switching. (Win 8.1 Pro)
I also experienced at some ALT+TAB switching, though not often (maybe 1 from 15-20 times from tests), that the Warcraft just stops responding, and I can't open it anymore. Need to kill task with task manager. Sorry, no more specifics found but that it happened with task bar on top.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
@IcemanBo did you try fiddling with the video options, full screen etc.? If not try the commands in a Warcraft III.exe shortcut:
  • The ‘/’ command line argument flag is no longer supported (use ‘-’ instead)
  • Removed: -nativefullscr (Replacement: -windowmode fullscreen)
  • Removed: -fullscreen (Replacement: -windowmode windowedfullscreen)
  • Removed: -window (Replacement: -windowmode windowed)
  • Removed: -swtnl (Replacement: nothing, Warcraft uses hardware texture and lighting)
  • Removed: -d3d (Replacement: -graphicsapi Direct3D9 [May be removed in the future])
  • Remvoed: -opengl (Replacement: -graphicsapi OpenGL [May be removed in the future])

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
I fixed all string corrupt problem. All you need to replace your map folder to documents folder>warcraft III>Maps>replace your map to here and open it from there on world editor.

Strings will not corrupt. They transfered map datas to your documents folder. I hope it will help

My map work well.
Good! But you should be able to safely load it from anywhere.

Level 12
send help

CKGrIC7.jpg

did you try fiddling with the video options, full screen etc.? If not try the commands in a Warcraft III.exe shortcut:
Fullscreen yes/no, but others not really. But will try soon.

send help
Patch 1.31 announced

===

For testing maps the WorldEditor tries to create map at "C:\Users\Name\AppData\Local\Temp\Maps\Test" folder, which did not exist for me and so has lead to errors. I had to create "Maps" and "Test" folder myself there, and then it worked.

Also, going in WorldEditor -> Help -> Warcraft III World Editor Help throws an error:
1.png

Gwy

Gwy

Level 4
tkok map doenst appear in map folder when you play wc3.
tkok is a very good rpg. any ideas?

Level 5
You can increase the height of terrain, I believe, using a Crater deformation with negative depth. You'd just have to do a lot of them to make it look nice. Not optimal, but possible.

I've never done it though.

True, but that would be a second option in which one has to devise them to simulate something that the editor does not have. There are many things that need to be added to the editor, but as I said hopefully these will be added little by little, in other patches.

Level 14
You can increase the height of terrain, I believe, using a Crater deformation with negative depth. You'd just have to do a lot of them to make it look nice. Not optimal, but possible.

I've never done it though.

I have. It was really challenging, and lags like crazy on a busy map... but I managed to make a mini-game where the water you are sailing in slowly drains away (i.e. I raise the ground up over the water line so it looks like the water is draining). You can see it here in my trailer:

EDIT: Go to 2:59 in the trailer

Level 5
I have. It was really challenging, and lags like crazy on a busy map... but I managed to make a mini-game where the water you are sailing in slowly drains away (i.e. I raise the ground up over the water line so it looks like the water is draining). You can see it here in my trailer:
EDIT: Go to 2:59 in the trailer

It looks great, they should add more functions for the height of the land, to make it easier to use. But I refer to increasing the level of height of the terrain, of which this generates cliffs and also the paths of descent and rise to these levels of ground height, so I saw no functions, and the terrain is defined only in the editor, and there are no real-time functions for this, but only for the texture of the terrain.

Bob

Bob

Level 2
Just tried to play some orc gladiators with my m8s. Guessing the new update messed up the triggers big time.

Level 5
With patch 1.31:

Index 0 is the new Index 1, which is probably intended. However, You can't change Attack Interval's Index to 0 (minimum 1 to 2), so the Attack Interval function doesn't work.
  • Unit - Set Dice Number of (Triggering unit) to 4 for weapon index: 0
  • Unit - Set Dice Sides of (Triggering unit) to 1 for weapon index: 0
  • Unit - Set Attack Interval of (Triggering unit) to 2.00 for weapon index: 1
The Index for Level is now 1 less, so a Level 1 ability should be set to "Level: 0" in order for it to work. This is a bit misleading. Although, I suppose it's not necessarily a bug.
  • Unit - For Unit (Triggering unit), Set cooldown of ability Animate Dead, Level: 0 to 5.00
Additionally,
in non-PTR 1.31, this is still not fixed: ability level begins from 0 in the BlzGetAbility*LevelField, but begins from 1 in the BlzSetAbility*LevelField

Blizzard developers, if you see this, please fix this dummy and embarrassing bug immediately! And I recommend you also check any other index-related functions and adjust them to one standard.

Level 3
Battle.Net in general is lagging a lot while browsing games, creating one, joining or ending. Takes ages to load and sometimes don't respond. Inside, the map i tested (twrpg) lags very bad. Happen with both x_86 and x_86_64 versions.

There is no way to join 2 different realms (e.g US East and Europe) with the same key?. I used this way to play with friends in battle.net and now I can't. Can't remember if you could in 1.30

Level 3
This kind of code causes editor to hang and after a while it's just silently crashes
Lua:
while true do
end
Apparently any conditional expression containing only one operand causes this bug. And it's only when loop is outside function body, inside functions it works fine.

Last edited:
Has anyone tested setting the cooldown of abilities related to morphing? From my tests, they appear to work correctly now, not crashing the game.

The caveat is that, according to my tests, for an ability field to be assigned properly, one must specify the level of the ability - 1 as the level parameter.

EDIT: For some reason, I cannot rename the ability individually via setname command (in test map).

The test map is attached below: (EDIT: Updated test map)

Attachments

• Map Balance.w3x
    57.3 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Join up for the selfie if you came here just to read the comments. :ab:

On a serious note, though...

Stuff like this is why I opted to stick with the 1.26 editor (...) The thing that should boggle everyones' minds is the editor is what Blizzard used to make the campaigns. How in the world are they even updating them if the editor is this unstable-- that its current state only truly works in Blizzard's office environment?
I've stuck with 1.26 here too. It has boggled my mind as well, and has been for a while. Which means, internally, they're likely using 1.26.

The whole Arranged Teams situation is inexcusable;
I admit I kinda appreciated the sincerity. But indeed this patch note was particularly worrisome.

I've been playing this game since a few months after the launch of RoC. You can accept the game as a work in progress and understand that there are issues which can arise with massive code changes, but declining to be on the PTR because you want to sit back and let others do the trials for you does nothing to help develop this game you claim to care so much about. If people like you would even take a remote interest in the new features before they're released, we wouldn't be where we are now.
Well, it's apparently not a matter of testing the PTR. Users are reporting some stuff only broke when the PTR patch went official. And from previous patch announcement threads, it doesn't seem like the first time it has happened. This is why they invented software verification. Wouldn't simple unit tests have avoided a whole lot of trouble — malformed string data, for instance? Tedious, I know, but it's been 3 years. It seems particularly important when the code you're working on is diabolical to the point the Editor corrupts maps, a Spanish Shaman starts speaking English, and unrelated things break all around for no apparent reason.

I keep the main map I'm working on, 2 backups, and external object data, because I'm that meticulous (working on decrepit, overheating hardware with WinXP running on top does that to the mind). I'm just glad people can open after saving, at least.

Level 13
Bribe is still right though... the more people that participate in the PTR the more likely it is that bugs would have been picked up and fixed.

The rage in this thread by some people is unfair considering its very likely they didn't test anything thoroughly on the PTR. Like, what did you expect? A bug free patch served up on a silver platter? If you honestly cared about map development you'd a) actually have backups and approach any new patch that has changes to the editor with caution and b) pay attention and contribute to the development of the editor on the PTR.

Other than that the changes are kind of nice. I am looking forward to getting back to development once this whole string situation is fixed.

Level 23
I was just watching a tournament game of northern isles, and I was so exited when I saw the magnataur reaver which was added for the 1.31 patch! I am really glad more "ice" creeps were added to replace some of the standard golems and stuff. Really hoping to see more variety of creeps + terrain for the melee map pool/ tournament maps.

That's logical since there are things the other versions don't recognize. I assume if you only use custom script, that might not be the case.

It's the case even if you use none of the new features, its due to the new way maps are stored. Not complaining per sé, but it would still be nice if there was a "legacy" mode of saving maps, in case backwards compatibility is important to the mapper.

Personally I switch between the standard WE with the latest patch and the 1.29 editor with WEX for its syntax highlighting and function list (often using both at the same time), so it kind of caught me off guard that I suddenly couldn't open the map in WEX.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
I was so exited
giphy.gif
It's the case even if you use none of the new features, its due to the new way maps are stored. Not complaining per sé, but it would still be nice if there was a "legacy" mode of saving maps, in case backwards compatibility is important to the mapper.
That would surely be something.

Status
Not open for further replies.