1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Melee Mapping Contest #4 - 2v2

Discussion in 'Contest Archive' started by mafe, Mar 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aSpaghettiMan

aSpaghettiMan

Resources:
    Resources:
    Well it is creative and unique, if I enter and score 25th place that is fine; it is experimental and I agree that this is not a "great idea", I really don't mind entering with something that goes against the grain. I am well aware of what 2v2 traditional melee maps look like and i am not the *most* knowledgeable, but I have been a fan of warcraft 3 since it's release date and did play it for many years. This entree should be no big deal, if everyone laughs at it; so be it.

If I am required to scrap this project and start a new one I will; the entire theme of this map is going to be chaos and randomness, it being covered in waygates isn't going to be the only gross difference between this map and a traditional melee map.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
  2. Ragnaros17

Ragnaros17

Resources:
    Resources:
    I screw it olympic in the 2nd contest trying to do an original map, so thats why I gave you that hints, but of course you can do as you wish as long is a melee map.

3. Mr.Henci

Mr.Henci

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Nearly ready for playtesting.

WIP#3
    WIP3.png

4. Damn, a waygate map? Very exciting. Two completely different tilesets, separated by a thick shadow layer?
    I'm surprised and excited to see how your map does. It looks really cool, especially with the dual-terrain
    and the impassable layer which makes it waygate-mandatory, but spiraling with some new tactics...

Like, rallying units directly from barracks to waygate? Don't even know if it will work.

Yes! Finally to see you in action :)

Go for it. Between the waygate map above I just commented on, the awesome plaza map,
    my naval crazy map and your weird experiment... gonna be a blast. And there's like,
    19 more days? Who knows what else will come up.

5. Twilight

Twilight

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Thanks, Glad you like it. I was just trying to think of a way to create some kind of a unique map, soo I just went through some of my old melee maps, and I said to myself "Why not re-create something similar like my Melee map Diggers. But, I didn't know if I was allowed to re-work my old map, soo I left it be and created something new.

Thanks again. Hope you like it!

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
  6. Ragnaros17

Ragnaros17

Resources:
    Resources:
    I decided to link my entry Stairs of Destiny

still gonna beta test more, write more things in the description, add more screens and ingame screens.
    and maybe add something with the doodads if I get inspired, but already has 8000, so is pretty done.

edit: hey guys and @mafe too

upload_2019-4-5_10-28-7.png

is only me that I am seeing this or the frontpage list codes are now like this??

7. Ether

Ether

Resources:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Here is my WiP, It's called Tel'Abim

[​IMG]

8. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Please, when uploading a map for a contest in Maps | HIVE, specify in its thread description which contest it is for.

9. Ragnaros17

Ragnaros17

Resources:
    Resources:
    it was only me, a pc reset and it looks good now. sorry for spam

10. Nudl9

Nudl9

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Small update, entries to main base are more equal.
    Cliffs around main base limit trees a little.
    Marketplace back to center (more options the better)
    Added some buildings and general flavor.
    Treeline near goblin shop is weaker, allowing for easy access.

[​IMG]

11. Looks like I'll have to give up. Too much studying to be done. Hopefully, someone else will have time to step in.

12. XanderD

XanderD

Resources:
    Resources:
    @Imperator - sad to read this. We got quite a lot of dropouts already and we're just barely over the halfway mark.

@mafe , @aSpaghettiMan wanted to join a few days ago but is not on the list yet.

13. mafe

mafe

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I messed somthing up with the BBCode and it took me some time to figure what went wrong and how to correct it. I hope it wont happen again.
    Sad to hear, but good of you to leave a message.
    Seems like I missed this post. Sorry about that, but you are on the list now. Thanks for the reminder.

I hope I did not miss any other people who would like to participate or any WIPs/links to contest entries. If I did, I guarantee that it is completely unintentional. Feel free to remind me if you notice anything.

14. I feel like saying the same thing as before. I'll explain it better this time.
    The bottom two bases creep camps are closer to the base than the top ones.
    Top ones have a "wall" of lumber so it prevents sight, the bottom ones are more exposed.
    Maybe its not that big of an issue.

Overall you made the ambiance better

15. Khaldaiel

Khaldaiel

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Hi everybody, this is the second WIP of my map : Veilswamp

Here I start with the summary : this is the definitive (half) minimap, with the map size, the tiles used and the composition and reward of every creepcamp of the map. The object icon on the right side explains the item drop and stands for "any item of this type and level" : a circlet of nobility doesn't imply that you will find a circlet everytime you creep the camp, but you will find one of the standard level 2 permanent item (gloves of haste, ring of protection +2, claws of attack+6, ...). When a camp gives a rune as a reward, its effect is explained with another icon on its left (sentry ward for rune of the watcher, a scroll of healing for a rune of healing and the monster revived for the runes of rebirth).

As I explained before, I tried to add a rune of rebirth on everycamp. The monsters that cary rebirth rune usually have effects and spells that make them more valuable than just 'some little more damage'. The two weakest of these monsters provide dispel and healing and are therefore crucial. For most of the camps, I've tried to make the item less valuable than it should be (because you also gain the revived creep).

As the creep camp locations goes, I've decided to put a lot of big creeps in the central islands to foster players to fight for these important creeps. I've also made the expansion between the players bases more difficult to creep than the other expansions, because it's a much easier expansion to defend. The mercenary camp and Gobelin Shop are between the player bases for enemy teams to be able to use it after/during a push.
    RESUME- VeilSwamp.png

You'll also find the first screenshots of the map in the attached files.

For now on, I will continue with the mapping, I'm somewhere around 60% done with terraining, then a few tests (especially on item drops) will be done and the map will be released ;)

If anyone has any commentaries yet, do not hesitate to share them with me !

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  16. XanderD

XanderD

Resources:
    Resources:
    First of all: YAY FELWOOD!
    Second: I like this creep camp preview! And I do realize that the circlet of nobility stands for a level 2 permanent item or the tome of health for a level 1 power-up and so on... but...
    Third: ...the runes all look the same so I can't tell whether it's a rune of rebirth or healing or mana or whatever.
    Fourth: Also nice mix in of Ashenvale tiles.

17. Khaldaiel

Khaldaiel

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Oh... I probably didn't explain it well enough. The runes all come with an icon on their right. This icon represents the effect of the rune :
    -> rune + scroll of healing = rune of healing
    -> rune + sentry ward = rune of the watcher
    -> rune + any creep = rune of rebirth that revive the associated creep

18. I've got a question for you very cool and serious melee mappers and players.

Are aura items the best ones to get? Because in my mind, for example, Legion-Doom-Horn or Battle Drums are
    more valuable than a Mask of Death or Orb of Frost. Because an army getting a 10% damage boost or +1 hp regen and +10% ms
    is way better than 50% Lifesteal or frost attack.

I can't think of a scenario where any hero with powerful items is more powerful than a buffed army.

Which begs the question, are Mask of Death / Claws +15 / Orb of Frost really that worth it in a melee map?
    When items like Doom-Horn, Drums or any aura item is insanely powerful and only level 4 ?

19. Nudl9

Nudl9

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    It depends.
    I don't there are that many maps with artifacts.
    The tome of power is going to be the most usefull one since you can get an early 6.
    Mask of Death is mostly just relevant for melee with good attack, since ranged units place themselves behind a wall of units and dont take much damage, but you can sell it for a lot of gold.
    Orb of Frost is like having a Naga Sea Witch lvl 1 and removes the need for slow/lockdown to some extent. Never a bad item really.
    Claw +15 is a pretty huge deal if you have a hero with good attack and attack speed like Lich, BM. Claws are never a bad item.

I think the level 6 aura items are the most game breaking: Khadgars, Drums, Jango.
    Legion Horn and Flute are pretty good too.
    Devotion aura item could use a buff to keep up with hero version of the ability.

I think the reveal item is in the same item pool as aura items though, which is a joke.

20. Ragnaros17

Ragnaros17

Resources:
    Resources:
    I heard once from a player that the alleria flute is powerfull with the riflemans compared to khadgar pipe brilliance aura.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.