• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Melee Mapping Contest #2 - 1 vs 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
I'll drop, because there's so many stress coming in studies and I cant handle making a map FOR NOW. If you have cinematic contests.... I would likely join.
Again, sorry for the "hesitation" but I have no other choice.

Aurdir...

Level 20
I'll drop, because there's so many stress coming in studies and I cant handle making a map FOR NOW. If you have cinematic contests.... I would likely join.
Again, sorry for the "hesitation" but I have no other choice.

Aurdir...
Sad to hear that, but IRL things are more important than some contest :) You have still more than 2 weeks, if you would reconsidered your opinion.

mafe

Map Reviewer
Level 24
There is one guy I talked to on discord who wants to join the contest. He already started his map, but (probably) due to having registered on the hiveworkshop only today, his post might have to be moderated before it shows up here. Just saying it now so it doesnt get lost or he misses out on the contest if further participats register before him.

edit: ok the comment is showing up now.

Last edited:
Level 29
We have to do this?
I noticed that by doing this the status of "melee map" down on the right in the editor changes from yes to no

What you have to do is check the tavern and see if the 8 heroes are in the tavern

if you have imported material such Hive models or custom doodads, you have to put melee last patch. so the heroes will be in the tavern.

if not you can put default.

just be sure that the 8 heroes are on the tavern thats all.

There is one guy I talked to on discord who wants to join the contest. He already started his map, but (probably) due to having registered on the hiveworkshop only today, his post might have to be moderated before it shows up here. Just saying it now so it doesnt get lost or he misses out on the contest if further participats register before him.

we are 22 (the limit for the moment is 30, but it can be increased to 31 or 32 if necesary).

hardly 8 users will pop up, so I think it won´t be a problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 5
Sorry, but studies just pushed me out of my mind, Im so sorry but I need to drop. Sorry.

PS.
Dont get bad notes xd I really cant move on from school!

Here's a little terrain teaser. Even if my layout and balance are gonna suck, my terrain is gonna be top notch dammit! :D

Attachments

• terrain teaser.PNG
    terrain teaser.PNG
    2.9 MB · Views: 174
Level 29
Sorry, but studies just pushed me out of my mind, Im so sorry but I need to drop. Sorry.

PS.
Dont get bad notes xd I really cant move on from school!

is okay, don´t worry about, and no need to sorry.

Submision uploaded, please check it here

hey! you did the conections!!, awsome screenshot by the way.!!

Here's a little terrain teaser. Even if my layout and balance are gonna suck, my terrain is gonna be top notch dammit! :D

now that looks really cool, you are like the teaser trailer of WOW.

Amazing, my map got corrupted. For the third time. And this time all my backups are corrupted aswell.
Guess this is it for me, unless I can resolve it somehow. I'm gonna open a thread on the forums I guess...

EDIT: If anyone wishes to help, here's the link [Crash] - My melee map got corrupted...
EDIT2: Got help, all shall be fine and all manner of thing shall be fine.

Last edited:
Level 8
@Avahor

I tested out your map.
My printscreen failed, but here are some bugs:

- at the left side red creep there is a water glitch (sharp corners)
- the top right Zeppelin Goblin is way too close to the edge and my Shredder spawned stuck in a corner (luckily, he can chop trees but this must be fixed, also there is nothing to obscure the edge of the map, it just looks weird and hard to see it)
- Seems that the main and second base are far apart but just my opinion.
- The lizards all over the map have collision and sometimes impede troop movement.
- The entrance to the first expansion is very tight and sort of hard to see, i would widen it a little.

Otherwise it was a fun play and the layout of the map, in general, makes sense, it is fast paced.
Yours
~~~~

@Blood Raven

How the hell did you get that skybox background and invisible tiles???????/

Level 15
@Avahor

I tested out your map.
My printscreen failed, but here are some bugs:...

Hey, I've checked and made some improvements. map is updated now
Answers to your points in yellow.
Thanks for testing the map!.

- at the left side red creep there is a water glitch (sharp corners)
Can you show me where is it?
- the top right Zeppelin Goblin is way too close to the edge and my Shredder spawned stuck in a corner (luckily, he can chop trees but this must be fixed, also there is nothing to obscure the edge of the map, it just looks weird and hard to see it)
- I relocated some trees and moved the shop location to fix this issue
- Seems that the main and second base are far apart but just my opinion.
yeah, this is subjective
- The lizards all over the map have collision and sometimes impede troop movement.
All foot critters have collision enabled (16), they are part of map layout. they are useful for some players strategy
- The entrance to the first expansion is very tight and sort of hard to see, i would widen it a little.
I've relocated some bad positioned trees, the entrance now is wider

Have a nice day

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
Using a sky-sphere instead of a sky-box (Warcraft 3 skybox only has 2 edges) gives you 360-radius sky that covers the Z axis as well. Then import a completely transparent terrain tile into the map (this is called "Alpha Tile") and use a sky texture of your liking. Voi´la

@Avahor
Pretty much what Remixer said. I've imported a custom skybox (skysphere) model under the path "Environment\Sky\DalaranSky\DalaranSky.mdx", then created a trigger in the map initialization to set the sky to dalaran sky.
There are a couple of obvious problems when doing this for melee maps however. The fog of war will apply as a texture to the alpha tile and screw its transparency, so anything below it that is covered in fog will be invisible until you reveal it (luckily the skybox is unaffected). That's why I can't make hanging gardens and huge pillars downwards, which is a shame.

EDIT: Here's my 4th WiP, the outer ring is under construction :D
I can't help but wonder if I've made the map too big and complicated for 2 players...

Attachments

• WiP4.PNG
    WiP4.PNG
    1.4 MB · Views: 173
Last edited:
Level 18
see you are all doing well, nice. Didn't get notifications for a long time, I thought something went wrong with the contest //

Here is a quick layout wip, nothing too fancy and I don't know if I'll actually go with this one - dropping it here just in case.

@Blood Raven your map does seem really big. Maybe you could create more paths without breaking the theme? I don't know. (you could use invisible platforms and debris doodads to simulate bridges, something along those lines)

Attachments

• CTST_01.jpg
    CTST_01.jpg
    573.9 KB · Views: 424
Level 8
Using a sky-sphere instead of a sky-box (Warcraft 3 skybox only has 2 edges) gives you 360-radius sky that covers the Z axis as well. Then import a completely transparent terrain tile into the map (this is called "Alpha Tile") and use a sky texture of your liking. Voi´la
Does this require the World Editor Plus or whatever? The only tile I can think of is the Twisting Nether tile.
What is sky sphere?
Maybe send me a personal message

Yours~~~~

@Arrr looks really good, plz continue!

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
@RFWH
No, it does not necessarily require World Editor Extended, but it of course helps (marginally).
Sky sphere is a model - generally Warcraft III uses a sky box model to display the sky. The default sky box is just two planes that rotate around the camera, so that wherever you look, you see the two planes with the texture of the sky (which ever you use). Sky sphere is a sphere-shaped model that like the planes, display the sky texture - to use it you simply import a sky sphere model into your map and "replace" the default sky box model. As the model changes from two (vertical) planes into a sphere, it is able to also cover the top and bottom of the camera-view.

Alpha tile is simply a terrain art texture that is completely transparent (Alpha = 0). The ground that uses the alpha tile texture is also transparent. Usually you would see black void, as the standard sky box model does not cover the "below of the ground" but using sky sphere allows you to display sky beneath the ground, thus giving the immersion that the ground is up in the sky.

EDIT:

Finished my entry. Here is link to the resource: (2) Torn World

Last edited:
Level 29
Pretty much what Remixer said. I've imported a custom skybox (skysphere) model under the path "Environment\Sky\DalaranSky\DalaranSky.mdx", then created a trigger in the map initialization to set the sky to dalaran sky.
There are a couple of obvious problems when doing this for melee maps however. The fog of war will apply as a texture to the alpha tile and screw its transparency, so anything below it that is covered in fog will be invisible until you reveal it (luckily the skybox is unaffected). That's why I can't make hanging gardens and huge pillars downwards, which is a shame.

EDIT: Here's my 4th WiP, the outer ring is under construction :D
I can't help but wonder if I've made the map too big and complicated for 2 players...
, when you uploaded your map to have help with your wc3 file corrupted, I could access to you map and it secrets: muahahahaha!!. just kidding, if you want to know my opinion since you said:

"can't help but wonder if I've made the map too big and complicated for 2 players"

even if is a 160x160 the players are not in the corners so distances can work (I think), a chrono timing how much time do you need to reach X from Y will help too.
Try to do this, copy paste all units (buildings) and paste them in a new 96x96 map. If they fit your are fine.
I am working in a 128x128 and I did that to be sure about the distances,

when using ramps, try to use the most wide ramps you can use, or even use normal terrain like Terenas Stand, try that the ramps and paths to be wide, avoid chokepoints and bottlenecks where heroes can be trapped and killed. The 6 ramps of the tavern area seems small.

see you are all doing well, nice. Didn't get notifications for a long time, I thought something went wrong with the contest //

Here is a quick layout wip, nothing too fancy and I don't know if I'll actually go with this one - dropping it here just in case.

@Blood Raven your map does seem really big. Maybe you could create more paths without breaking the theme? I don't know. (you could use invisible platforms and debris doodads to simulate bridges, something along those lines)

Great, Lordaeron summer tile-set appeared!!, looks nice.

Hello! As promised here is the wip image: https://i.imgur.com/E0dnz0b.jpg

Would love any feedback :)

96X96

E0dnz0b.jpg

Seems everything is all well placed for a melee map, I can´t say more until look inside the editor, creeps types and loot.

@RFWH
No, it does not necessarily require World Editor Extended, but it of course helps (marginally).
Sky sphere is a model - generally Warcraft III uses a sky box model to display the sky. The default sky box is just two planes that rotate around the camera, so that wherever you look, you see the two planes with the texture of the sky (which ever you use). Sky sphere is a sphere-shaped model that like the planes, display the sky texture - to use it you simply import a sky sphere model into your map and "replace" the default sky box model. As the model changes from two (vertical) planes into a sphere, it is able to also cover the top and bottom of the camera-view.

Alpha tile is simply a terrain art texture that is completely transparent (Alpha = 0). The ground that uses the alpha tile texture is also transparent. Usually you would see black void, as the standard sky box model does not cover the "below of the ground" but using sky sphere allows you to display sky beneath the ground, thus giving the immersion that the ground is up in the sky.

EDIT:

Finished my entry. Here is link to the resource: (2) Torn World

I saw the layout in the WIP before and I think is very clever, glad that I can see the details inside the map now.

edit:

outland creeps were a surprise, and a lot of doodads, nice work,

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 28
In my opinion, reviews should be allowed like it was during the last contest. It gives mappers idea what can be changed in their map before deadline, so their map can be more polished.
@Naze you OK with this?
Resources meant for contests shouldn't be approved/rejected/set to awaiting update before the contest ends.

It is okay to have users giving feedback in this thread or in the resource comments (we're not locking them anymore).

But official reviews by the staff should wait until the contest ends.

That's how we're doing it nowadays.

Level 20
Resources meant for contests shouldn't be approved/rejected/set to awaiting update before the contest ends.

It is okay to have users giving feedback in this thread or in the resource comments (we're not locking them anymore).

But official reviews by the staff should wait until the contest ends.

That's how we're doing it nowadays.
Cool. Learn something new everyday.

Level 14
I have a question: I've wanted to modify some doodads like Cattail so that they can be placed on cliffs, maybe add a different tint ect, but the editor then states in the bottom right corner that the map is not considered melee ( Melee Map: No - "Custom Doodad data have been specified").

It something like this: changing a color of a doodad a problem for map to be considered for the contest/ladder?

@deepstrasz Thanks for the clarification. Melee: Yes it is then :(
Don't limit yourself like this. Blizzard are very picky when it comes to ladder maps, and most likely only one, if any, of the maps in this contest will make it there. No need to limit yourself for a slim chance of getting your map into the ladder. If they liked your layout and balance that much, they could remove the tint off the cattails or whatever.

Probably my last WiP. All that's left is to make drops tables and add a little more scenery at places.
I was wondering if I should add some more easy camps along those long empty outer corridors. What do you guys think? Or perhaps something else to spice them up?

Attachments

• WiP.PNG
    WiP.PNG
    1.7 MB · Views: 171
Level 29
Probably my last WiP. All that's left is to make drops tables and add a little more scenery at places.
I was wondering if I should add some more easy camps along those long empty outer corridors. What do you guys think? Or perhaps something else to spice them up?

there is a concept called conection, if you want to go from A to B and the walking distance is long, a middle point called C may do atractive the walk.

Status
Not open for further replies.