• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Melee Mapping Contest #2 - 1 vs 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
Why would melee map need an excelent story/backround, if you have trouble with BB codes, send me PM, but teamwork should be striclly prohibited. If we allow you this, somebody else would want to have a little help over there and so on . . .

Ok. I fully understand. Thanks.

Edit: I started right now and here are some wips:

upload_2018-8-28_14-52-28.png

upload_2018-8-28_14-53-6.png

upload_2018-8-28_16-13-53.png

Last edited:
Level 29
Ok. I fully understand. Thanks.

Edit: I started right now and here are some wips:

Looks great!, glad to see a pure Northrend tileset and that I am not the only one using some ice.

I almost forgot, but thanks to @Ragnaros17 reminding me, I'll post this on reddit now. I guess there were many people joining just for the money during the last contest, so I'd be surprised if suddenly 20+ show up now. But as everyone seems to be happy, getting a few would nice.

Glad to help a bit.

WIP 4

upload_2018-8-28_17-23-19.png

upload_2018-8-28_17-24-13.png

upload_2018-8-28_17-24-44.png

Overall:

1) I changed the mercenary camps positions. I played the map and noticed that the swamps were un-atractive areas to visit, so now they are.
2) Both markets are in south and west positions respect to the tavern to counter the market place and the goblin labs of the other side of the map.
3) Added a couple of orange to have better conection and better AOW rute. (Blue circle)
4) Deleted way-gates, that didn´t work with the creeps.
5) More enviroment here and there, and I am glad I could make that lava work.

https://www.hiveworkshop.com/attachments/2-mars-lighthouse-w3x.305424/

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-28_17-23-42.png
    upload_2018-8-28_17-23-42.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 176
Last edited by a moderator:
Level 7
@Twilight looking good! Although I'd recommend using a different creep type than Ghosts/Wraiths, which are quite annoying to fight thanks to the Possession spell.

@Ragnaros17 Well done! I like how the lava turned out.

@Kam There is one issue with this as far as the contest rules go: As turning Map Options -> Game Data set to "Melee-Latest Patch" makes the map no longer a melee map according to the World Editor. Would it be a good idea to post both the standard version and a "BNET Version" with this setting turned off?

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
@Kam There is one issue with this as far as the contest rules go: As turning Map Options -> Game Data set to "Melee-Latest Patch" makes the map no longer a melee map according to the World Editor. Would it be a good idea to post both the standard version and a "BNET Version" with this setting turned off?
No. You have to let it to default (melee) as long as you don't have any custom units/doodads/imports etc.

Melee map contest #2

Level 13
@Twilight looking good! Although I'd recommend using a different creep type than Ghosts/Wraiths, which are quite annoying to fight thanks to the Possession spell.

Ah, Okay got it. I don't really make Northrend maps, this is the first time I am doing a map with this style. Usually I just do ether Ashenvale, Barrens or Sunken Ruins. Thanks again for the heads up though!

Here are some wips. Map is almost done.

upload_2018-8-29_10-25-11.png

upload_2018-8-29_10-28-4.png

upload_2018-8-29_10-28-45.png

Level 29

@Ragnaros17 Well done! I like how the lava turned out.

Lava :), thanks!

Ah, Okay got it. I don't really make Northrend maps, this is the first time I am doing a map with this style. Usually I just do ether Ashenvale, Barrens or Sunken Ruins. Thanks again for the heads up though!

Here are some wips. Map is almost done.

Your are fast and it looks great!

Hey, is it too late to join?
If not, here's my WIP! :)

View attachment 305455

Sample names:
Desert Pillars - Dryspell - Fckn dry dry season

Great to have another participant, Those pillars are a very interesting idea, good luck and have fun mapping.

Level 26
Not much at the moment, starting with studies next monday though, so soon I'll have too much up. :D

Thank you! :)
Yeah, I feel it is turning out pretty well right now! Balancing is tough though...

Another WIP while I'm at it:
New 2.PNG
New.PNG

Picked out all the brightly green trees to stick to a more strict color palette.

Last edited:
Level 26

Attachments

• Aridity 1.PNG
    Aridity 1.PNG
    4.1 MB · Views: 1,267
  • Aridity 2.PNG
    Aridity 2.PNG
    4 MB · Views: 1,264
  • Aridity 3.PNG
    Aridity 3.PNG
    4.1 MB · Views: 1,224
  • Aridity 4.PNG
    Aridity 4.PNG
    4.2 MB · Views: 1,154
  • Aridity 5.PNG
    Aridity 5.PNG
    4.2 MB · Views: 1,245
  • abirhand-one.regular.png
    abirhand-one.regular.png
    3.2 KB · Views: 936
  • Aridity Overview.png
    Aridity Overview.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 95
  • Aridity Overview 2.png
    Aridity Overview 2.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 1,140
Last edited:
Level 29
Alright, a submission in case I don't continue:
new-2-png.305473

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Aridity
A dried out oasis in the middle of nowhere, surrounded with mysterious
cliff formations, shielding it from the unforgiving, ravaging wind of the desert.

View attachment 305475 View attachment 305476
View attachment 305477 View attachment 305478
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Idea:
I tried to go for a limited colour palette, so I picked out all the trees that were to green, used specifically coloured creeps (while trying to balance and make them fit in thematically), and mixed a wide array of tiles and doodads from different settings.

I also wanted to create something unique, so I started with my vision of a dried out river, and created mrrored terrain that could fit around it. Additionally, I wanted to provide the feeling of being in the middle of nowhere, so I added a large strip of desert to the sides of the map, which I also think opens up unique and interesting strategical options.

What could be improved:
I want to improve the terrain around the smaller creep camps significantly, and add small details all over the map.
I'm also not sure wether or not I should keep the dragon roost, since I don't feel like it's a very impactful building.
And of course, balance the creep camps. I feel like I've done pretty good, but the salamanders might need a nerf.

@Rufus

If you are interested here in this pastebin, I can show you a couple of replays (against AI in normal, in insane I have to end the match fast or I tend to loose in Tier 3 of tech, also Tier 3 require a lot of micro-manage of the 3 heroes and units), if you want to see how I played the map.

Human vs Human

https://www.hiveworkshop.com/attachments/hu-aridity-normal-w3g.305488/

Nigth elfs vs Nigth elfs

https://www.hiveworkshop.com/attachments/ne-aridity-normal-w3g.305489/

good luck and see ya.

Level 26
Thanks a lot! I'd be interesting to watch!
Unfortunately... replays are always so hard to view, since the patch you have must match the patch of the replay. :|
I will see if I can downgrade my warcraft though, since there are too many visual and audio bugs going on in the patch I'm currently running.

Last edited:
Level 26
  • *For melee maps, the game data in the editor must be set to "Melee (latest patch)"
If you want you map to be considered for BNET it must have "Melee Map: Yes" in the lower right corner of the World Editor, and be free of imported files.

Those two quotes contradict each other, as changing the setting to "Melee (latest patch)" makes WE think it is no longer a melee map.
What should one do if I want to participate while being considered for BNET?

Level 20
Those two quotes contradict each other, as changing the setting to "Melee (latest patch)" makes WE think it is no longer a melee map.
What should one do if I want to participate while being considered for BNET?
Well, I guess there need to be a rules change than. Maps with no import or custom data don't have to have "Melee (latest patch)" setting. I will update the frontpage soon. (Actually, we can complety delete this rule, every mapmaker just need to make sure, that in his map, there are all 8 Tavern heroes.

Here's a little teaser. Progress has been slow.
A question: am I allowed to make a custom trigger that sets the skybox? Cuz otherwise it's a black void and it's not very pretty. It's only aesthetic afterall.
Isn't there an option for skybox in editor? If it only can be done via trigger, we will have to have a poll (I know its only asthetics, but still, it is a big rulechange which can lead to something, we don't want to happen.)

@Ragnaros17
Replays are meh, maybe you could provide us with the video? It would be much, much easier to look at it.

Oh, and @Rufus , submision must be posted in the map section of HW. Then just post link to your map here. Thanks (The visuals looks great, when I will have more free time. I will check the balance/gameplay.)

Isn't there an option for skybox in editor? If it only can be done via trigger, we will have to have a poll (I know its only asthetics, but still, it is a big rulechange which can lead to something, we don't want to happen.)
)
I'm afraid not. The option under Scenario->Map Preferences only sets the sky in the editor, not ingame. Skies can only be set via triggers as far as I know.
I mean, it doesn't look that disasterously dangerous, does it?

Attachments

• trig.PNG
    trig.PNG
    12.8 KB · Views: 103
Level 29
I have made 3 triggers

2 animation models, set animation as work upgrade in region X

the quest with the credits of all the models,

I don´t want trouble so I will delete them

But the quest with the credits inside the game I will add it to my map after the contest ends.

mafe

Map Reviewer
Level 24
Two points about "classification as melee map". This is the current state of how I think things work, but feel free to correct me.
-If you hover your mouse about the bottom right part where it says that your map is (not) melee, it will show the reasons why the map isnt melee when it isnt.
-Apparently it will also say that your map isnt melee if the "melee map initialization" trigger is in a different language than the one of your editor. However, it will still work as an latest-patch melee if you set game data to "standard" and if this is the only reason why your map isnt classified as melee for whatever reason, probably not altering "too much". Best check if the tavern you surely have on your map contains all 8 heroes ingame. This is also means that if you open someone elses map may appear to appear as "not melee" despite being so.

Also if you want to test your map, getting AMAI (advanced melee AI) and installing it on a copy of your map is probably better than using only the standard AI, though of course real people are still the best, but often hard to find.

Last edited:
Level 29
I know this is way ahead of schedule but i would love to have the next melee mapping contest go 2v2 or heck maybe even 3v3. : )

I have done five 4 players melee maps and one 6 player melee map. (19 melee maps counting all of them including this 1vs1).

On my own experience I don´t advice it at all to increase to 2vs2 or 3vs3. (1vs1 is more fast and easy to do).

seems like a lot of time to me, more players doesn´t mean more fun you know. A lot of people would not join in that mostly because of time.

Mapping can be fun or boring as hell, you can have fun one or two days, and need to stop the third because you get really bored.
(my case I got bored, so I am not progressing much in my map now).

I propossed myself to do 4 player melee maps as team-works so work would be less boring, and reparted between 2 users, but that idea was totally discarted (nobody soported it, not even an inch), and now I see why.

see ya.

Level 13
Final Entry from me
Intro.png

About the map:

Story

Minimap

Screenshots

Legends say, that a this river was once the life saver of the wilds in Northrend, that all changed once the undead arrived, the river itself became a living ghost, no animal lives in it, only the voices of the past, voices of the animals that once lived a happy life and a great time around the river. Now, the ghosts and the angered beasts roam the forests around the river, a reminder, that the river is still alive with it's wildlife

MiniMap.png

Map has:
Camps:
-6 Red Camps
-6 Yellow Camps
-10 Green Camps

Neutral Buildings:
-4 Gold Mines
-2 Mercenary Camps
-2 Mercenary Shops
-2 Fountains of Life
-1 Tavern

Screenshot1.png

Screenshot2.png

Screenshot3.png

Final words:
This is my final entry, Everything has be tested, balanced, and properly created. No one helped me during the creating process, description/story was created by me. Thank you for downloading and best of luck to the other contestants.

Map Source

Attachments

• (2)The Screaming River.w3x
    178.3 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Level 20
I'll be dropping I guess. Things going harsher here.

Anyway, is feedback at map thread permitted or should I request lock down for all published entries until after the judge scores? I have confused feeling since there are double standard with feedback being allowed or not in contests lately.
Harsher? Nah, this is our 1st contest of this kind, so we are fixing some issues on the way :D Sure, feedback is allowed (it's on the front page you know...) and when you upload your map, I personaly will give you some feedback, as will the others members of the community, or at least I hope so. Just hope you can finish your entry :)

I'm referring to my RL problems there when I said harsher.

Anyway, I will let all the contestant thread open then. I'm aware it's at front page, just want to make certain that I should keep the map thread at Map Section open for review or not. I will mark them with a review stating it's a contest entry so people are aware of why it wasn't moderated. Thank you for the cooperation, @Mr.Henci !

Level 29
Well, good news I recorded Ascrelle and Rufus re-plays, bad news, it is in quality 360x240 and x5 speed, (I could do it 640-480 but the size is like 200 mb only 4 mins, thats madness). They are .rar files to unzip, and they are .mp4 that can be played in vlc. Size now is like 13-16 mb.

Both NE vs NE normal AI

@Rufus
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/attachments/rufus-map-rar.305533/

@Ascrelle
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/attachments/ascrelle-map-rar.305534/

Hey, it's okay. Don't need to work yourself up.
Since I got bored of mapping (my map) I think I will play yours soon,

Level 26
Many thanks! :)
That's smart with the ancient of wars!

I saw that you didn't touch a few creep camps, such as the harpys and the bronze dragons, is this because their rewards (the buildings and unknown dropped items) aren't worth it?
I was planning on removing the dragon roost, and boost the reward from the dragons slightly instead (like a +2 tome from each drake and a level 6 charged item from the dragon).

Last edited:
Level 20
I was planning on removing the dragon roost, and boost the reward from the dragons slightly instead (like a +2 tome from each drake and a level 6 charged item from the dragon).
Haven't seen your map yet, but in general, dragon roots and fountains are big noNO if oyu aren't 100% sure, what you are doing. There is no competitive map with roots, and I believe there is only a mana fountain used, so take it into consideration.

Level 29
Haven't seen your map yet, but in general, dragon roots and fountains are big noNO if oyu aren't 100% sure, what you are doing. There is no competitive map with roots, and I believe there is only a mana fountain used, so take it into consideration.

Orange played a competitive melee play Human vs NE and he won with the bears, roar skill, and improving the attack tech tree.
they visited the health of fountain at night.
And Knecht did a dungeon map with a dragon roost that could only be access with goblin zeppelings,

But yes those buildings (dragon roost, most dangerous than anything) are dangerous as Mr.Henci said.

Secret valley is the map:

Many thanks! :)
That's smart with the ancient of wars!

I saw that you didn't touch a few creep camps, such as the harpys and the bronze dragons, is this because their rewards (the buildings and unknown dropped items) aren't worth it?

The Ancient of wars, thats not new, thats how NE play in the real life user vs user, I liked your map, that I make camp in the center of the map to protect both my base and the expanding.
I didnt hit the dragons because I was more near the enemy and I didn´t want to risk my army by creeping a red one.

When you are worry of the enemy, you forget to creep. Once I reach the center, I only focus in hit the enemy and kill their heroes to level up and domain the game. And in Tier 3, it require micro-manage:

burn mana, bear of Rexxar, scrolls of protection and scroll of heal, roar of the claw druid, again burn mana, I used the razormane chaman healing totem of the merc camp.

And I didnt hit the arpies because I forgot it, I was worry with my enemy, I was more near since I camp in the center, even in normal if they get gigants and quimeras, they can turn the tide, (sometimes heroes get trapped and can be killed, and after that the battle can turn the tide, and the enemy hero level up and kills your units and so on).

Hey, it's okay. Don't need to work yourself up.

again quality 360x240, x4 speed so it is more nice to see, but size now is 22mb. 8 min video.

I really, really like that the creep rute was: merc camp, goldmine, market near the enemy (where I buy the scrolls), I really like that route.
AI cleaned their goldmine but (normal AI is more slow) and I hit them to prevent the expansion.

Hit the NE base is hard since they have their ponds healing (and towers) so is hard even in normal.

the totems of scout are cool to loot it and use them in the bridge.

https://www.hiveworkshop.com/attachments/river-scream-rar.305581/

@PrinceYaser While it looks pleasing, just from the pic I can see, that there are a lot of chokepoints/narrow pathways/ only one entrace to the base. I would deffinetly suggest reworking the map for more maneuverablity.
Thanks! I'd take it into consideration. Not a reworking though, I have some fixes planned.

Level 29
Thanks! I'd take it into consideration. Not a reworking though, I have some fixes planned.

@PrinceYaser While it looks pleasing, just from the pic I can see, that there are a lot of chokepoints/narrow pathways/ only one entrace to the base. I would deffinetly suggest reworking the map for more maneuverablity.

Map looks very nice.

Hard to tell from the screen, yep chokepoints are bad, advantage to blademaster,

Maybe you can do some easy conections between some areas (paths) and maybe it can be more interesting.

Competitive Melee Map

"Layout:
When making the layout of the map also make sure that there is almost always multiple paths to take. By this i mean there should be at least 2 ways to get to anywhere on the map. No single long corridor that can easily be blocked, but allow movement and manoeuvrability across the map,"

A sugestion: carefull with distances, make shure the warden doesn´t have teleport advantage between areas.

I hope I can play your map, the layout is very interesting, or another map this weekend.

Level 22
Heya, here's a WIP.
I just wanna know your opinion on the map and the general layout. I haven't polished the aggro on some creeps so that might be a bit rough. Does it feel too tight with not much space? Is it cramped with creeps? Did you find out how to use the big trees? :cgrin:
Anyways, doodads and terraining are still in the making.

Attachments

• map.png
    map.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 497
  • loggingcamp.w3x
    104.6 KB · Views: 99
Level 29
Heya, here's a WIP.
I just wanna know your opinion on the map and the general layout. I haven't polished the aggro on some creeps so that might be a bit rough. Does it feel too tight with not much space? Is it cramped with creeps? Did you find out how to use the big trees? :cgrin:
Anyways, doodads and terraining are still in the making.

Map looks good for early confrontations. all seems well placed.

Distances seems ok, I remember Irresistible mind where the map was tight.

I will tell you more after seeing it in editor and play it.

mafe

Map Reviewer
Level 24
Well then. Here's my current version. I havent really playtested it yet.
"Nonstandard" gameplay features, though of course other people have come up with these before:
-Random spawn positions for shops and laboratories (but it will always be symmetric).
-Unusual gold mine positions, where your natural expansion is actually further away than a lategame expansion.
-A Single-unit-creepcamp.
-Problematic items removed from loot some loot tables, in particular lightning shield, crystal ball, scroll of restoration.

Attachments

• BrightwaterOasisOverview.png
    BrightwaterOasisOverview.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 166
  • Brightwater Oasis.w3x
    132.3 KB · Views: 99
Status
Not open for further replies.