• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hero Contest #3 - Avatar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
I completed Stalk, cleaned all the leaks (or the ones I could see anyway), made it MUI, made it work perfectly BUT THE BLOODY COOLDOWN SCREWES EVERYTHING UP! I did search for old threads dealing with that problem, and from what I understood is that you have to pause a unit when you move it, to prevent the cooldown from resetting. I have included the map (and the triggers, if somebody is too lazy). I have other means of balancing it (up the mana cost or adding a really nasty debuff if used twice in a row, to name a few), but I do not want that. I don't even know if I'm allowed to ask for this kind of help, so please tell me if I'm not. Here are the triggers. I would appreciate it if somebody told me where the pauses/unpauses should be, because I tried a lot and did nothing.

• StalkInit
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Begins casting an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Stalk
    • Actions
      • Set StalkTemp1 = (Position of (Triggering unit))
      • Set StalkTemp2 = (Target point of ability being cast)
      • Set StalkTotalDistance = (Distance between StalkTemp1 and StalkTemp2)
      • Unit - Make (Triggering unit) face StalkTemp2 over 0.00 seconds
      • Set StalkFacing = (Angle from (Position of (Triggering unit)) to StalkTemp2)
      • Sound - Play FlashBack1Second <gen> at 100.00% volume, attached to (Triggering unit)
      • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
        • If - Conditions
          • StalkTotalDistance Greater than (450.00 + ((Real((Level of Stalk for (Triggering unit)))) x 150.00))
        • Then - Actions
          • Set StalkTotalDistance = (450.00 + ((Real((Level of Stalk for (Triggering unit)))) x 150.00))
        • Else - Actions
      • Hashtable - Save StalkTotalDistance as 0 of (Key (Triggering unit)) in Stalk
      • Hashtable - Save Handle Of(Triggering unit) as 1 of (Key (Triggering unit)) in Stalk
      • Hashtable - Save Handle OfStalkTemp1 as 2 of (Key (Triggering unit)) in Stalk
      • Hashtable - Save StalkFacing as 3 of (Key (Triggering unit)) in Stalk
      • Unit Group - Add (Triggering unit) to StalkGroup
        • If - Conditions
          • (StalkLoop <gen> is on) Equal to False
        • Then - Actions
          • Trigger - Turn on StalkLoop <gen>
        • Else - Actions
  • StalkLoop
    • Events
      • Time - Every 0.04 seconds of game time
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Unit Group - Pick every unit in StalkGroup and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • Set StalkTotalDistance = (Load 0 of (Key (Picked unit)) from Stalk)
          • Set StalkCaster = (Load 1 of (Key (Picked unit)) in Stalk)
          • Set StalkLocTemp = (Load 2 of (Key (Picked unit)) in Stalk)
          • Set StalkFacing = (Load 3 of (Key (Picked unit)) from Stalk)
          • Set StalkLoc = (StalkLocTemp offset by 50.00 towards StalkFacing degrees)
          • Hashtable - Save Handle OfStalkLoc as 2 of (Key (Picked unit)) in Stalk
            • If - Conditions
              • StalkTotalDistance Greater than 0.00
            • Then - Actions
              • Unit - Move StalkCaster instantly to StalkLoc
              • Unit - Turn collision for StalkCaster Off
              • Animation - Change StalkCaster's animation speed to 50.00% of its original speed
              • Animation - Change StalkCaster's vertex coloring to (0.00%, 0.00%, 0.00%) with 0.00% transparency
              • Unit - Create 1 Stalk smoke for (Owner of StalkCaster) at StalkLoc facing Default building facing degrees
              • Unit - Add a 0.50 second Generic expiration timer to (Last created unit)
              • Set StalkTotalDistance = (StalkTotalDistance - 50.00)
              • Hashtable - Save StalkTotalDistance as 0 of (Key (Picked unit)) in Stalk
            • Else - Actions
              • Unit - Turn collision for StalkCaster On
              • Animation - Change StalkCaster's animation speed to 100.00% of its original speed
              • Animation - Change StalkCaster's vertex coloring to (100.00%, 100.00%, 100.00%) with 0.00% transparency
              • Unit Group - Remove StalkCaster from StalkGroup
              • Unit - Add Stalk Damage to StalkCaster
              • Unit - Set level of Stalk Damage for StalkCaster to (Level of Stalk for StalkCaster)
              • Unit - Order StalkCaster to Orc Blademaster - Wind Walk
              • Unit - Remove Stalk Damage from StalkCaster
              • Hashtable - Clear all child hashtables of child (Key (Picked unit)) in Stalk
            • If - Conditions
              • (StalkGroup is empty) Equal to True
            • Then - Actions
              • Trigger - Turn off (This trigger)
              • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_StalkTemp1)
              • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_StalkTemp2)
              • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_StalkLoc)
              • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_StalkLocTemp)
            • Else - Actions

Attachments

• Spellpack.w3x
    323.7 KB · Views: 67
Level 25
Sorry Darkmoon i didn't see your hero template but that was just an idea i had on the moment ... but it is frustrating to see the same idea twice ... so i'll change all that if i join ...
sorry 'bout that ... i'll think it over ...

Well, at least it's good to see I wasn't blatantly copied.

Lol, i mean you can't put copyright on an idea.

I ain't revealing my template of the hero because of the idea rip off, but if someone posts a similar hero i surely won't replace my entry.

But that caused my ultimate on the previous contest to be similar to the winners but that was coincidental, still i hope i won't be experiencing such things this time :p

Level 22
xD.Schurke and Xiliger, a lot of people have been asking me if you can have 4 active spells, and there seems to be a lot of people who want it. So, what do you think?
Should we allow people to choose or should there be at least 1 passive spell?
Personally I think they should be able to choose themselves as there are many heroes in wc3 which got no passive spells, so I feel it's natural that they can also make heroes with only active spells. But what do you think? We need to clarify this as many are confused about this and I've gotten several PM's and VM's about it.

Level 11
I say yes, and I would say that a hero should be allowed to have 4 passive spells (even if I have no idea why would somebody do that :p).

EDIT:

Is it allowed to post comments, improvement suggestions of other contestant's spells? Or is that considered teamwork?

I see some leaks and other stuff that could be done in a better way in some of these spells.

I can't destroy the sound, because it needs to be played again.
I can't destroy the unit group because it needs to be available all the time.
I can't remove the 2 temporary locations in the initiation because if I do the unit will start moving from the center of the map.

All 4 locations are removed when no units are casting stalk.
The hashtable is cleared.

I honestly don't understand where I leak :huh:
...and I'm always willing to hear constructive criticism. Since you're participating, my goal is #2 :razz:

Last edited:
Level 17
xD.Schurke and Xiliger, a lot of people have been asking me if you can have 4 active spells, and there seems to be a lot of people who want it. So, what do you think?
Personally I think they should be able to choose themselves as there are many heroes in wc3 which got no passive spells, so I feel it's natural that they can also make heroes with only active spells. But what do you think? We need to clarify this as many are confused about this and I've gotten several PM's and VM's about it.

You got a point there, allot of heroes don't have a passive. I'll say its ok for 4 actives. But lets hear what xD has to say.

So far this contest looks promising. We have allot of entries so far and I think allot more to come. And people, please take your time, there is no rush. Don't rush it and loose points unnecessary, but I have to say, the work so far looks awesome! Keep it up.

Level 5
Another WIP. Added one more spell. Also, I tried making Shock Aura just one trigger but when I use "Damage Target" and then arithmetic "Level of ability for unit" isn't an option. But when I use arithmetic on a different trigger, like Hero - Add Experience, it does work. So am I doing something wrong, or will I have to keep all three triggers? :hohum:

Attachments

• HeroContest#3 Submission.w3x
    108.4 KB · Views: 59
Level 37
I honestly don't understand where I leak :huh:

I would not save any locations into the hashtable at all in those triggers. The first trigger has a location leak. The location removals in the looping trigger are in a wrong place.

I won't say more because I'm not sure if that's considered as teamwork, and I don't want you nor I to be disqualified because of that.

Since you're participating, my goal is #2 :razz:

:)

Level 37
Another WIP. Added one more spell. Also, I tried making Shock Aura just one trigger but when I use "Damage Target" and then arithmetic "Level of ability for unit" isn't an option. But when I use arithmetic on a different trigger, like Hero - Add Experience, it does work. So am I doing something wrong, or will I have to keep all three triggers? :hohum:

Use "conversion - integer to real" and arithmetic function.

Not a good idea to use specific unit in the event.

Level 14
Count me in too

Azsure (I'm going to use the Gemini Warrior model if it's allowed)
Moonlight Member

Spells:
Moon Strike: The Hero concentrates the power of the moon in both hand for 1 second and damage an unit stunning it for 3 seconds (level skill increases the stun duration)

Panther Summoning: (I'm going to use the panther model and the icon if it's allowed) Summons a strongth panther that gains power as more as the hero does, but it takes you half of your life to summon it, and you can unsummon it and restore your strength using the power left of the panther. If the panther dies you will have a little trouble. (Increases the panther's life and mana and adds more skills while the skill level is increased)

Moonlight: during the night your life and mana regeneration increase dramatically, but in the day it decreases to 0

Power Merged: After summoning your panther and learned this skiill, it won't show into you button skills until you panther is being summoned and it's closed enough to you for merge with you addin you more power and spells, also when you merge it qutomatically turns night permanent, when the merge ends it wll turn into day automatically. Lasts 60 seconds.

Spell Merged: (this model is going to be a request for General Frank, I will send the link when I made it)

Moon Strike: The same.

Growl of the Wild: (Non-Hero Abilitie) (Replaces the Panther Summoning) Louds a growl that increases your attack speed for a few seconds.

Moonlight: The same

Panther Spells:

Unsummon: (Non-Hero Abilitie) Grants you the ability to unsummon the panther restoring you power with the panther's power left

Growl of the Wild: (Non-Hero Abilitie) (second level skill) The same that the one of the merge (this is useful when you stun someone with you first spell so the panther will start to attack the unit while is stunned)

Critical Strike: (Non-Hero Abilitie) (third level skill) Have a 10% to do x2 damage when you attack.

If I broke any rule in this hero tell me so I will change that.

Last edited:
Level 11
That hero is a bit tricky, i mean you have more than four abilities if you count that "merge" thingy...

If gets allowed it could be exploited on all the entries giving us heroes with 7-8 abilities...

A mod should confirm if this is allowed or not, 'cause I might have to rethink my hero, since he gets 2 extra (passive) abilities and the effects on some spells are changed while his ultimate is active.

Level 4
okay, here is a WIP of mine. I hope you like it. I am still thinking about his ultimate skill though...
(Please keep in mind english is not my native language, i am sorry for any grammatical mistakes, typos or bad grammar. Dont hesitate to correct me.)

Accname the Energetic
(A master of arts in energy magic, both destructive and healing)
Model: Bloodmage
Main Attribute: Intelligence

Skill 1).
Energy Spheres:
The Energetic summons 3/4/5 energy spheres, these spheres follow him and attack nearby enemys with bolts of lightning. Spheres vanish after they attacked 20 times.

Skill 2).
Discharge:
The Energetic unleashes a tremendous shockwave of energy decreasing movement speed by 30%/60%/90% and attack speed by 15%/30%/45% of enemys within range for 15 seconds. Additionally all energy spheres of the caster will detonate at once dealing 35 points of damage each to nearby enemys. Of course the energy spheres will be gone afterwards...

Skill 3).
Energy Infusion:
Focusing positive flows of energy around him the Energetic infuses rehabilitive forces into himself and all allied units around him increasing their hitpoint regeneration by 0.75/1.5/2.25 points per second and their mana regeneration by 1.25/2.5/3.75 points per second for 45 seconds. Additionally all energy spheres of the caster will use all of their energy to replenish 45 hitpoints each to all allies around them. The energy spheres will vanish after this process...

Ultimate Skill
???:
(Yet to be thought out...)

Background:
While the arcane academys of lordaeron and the eastern kingdoms train their apprentices to focus on special parts of magic energy such as elemental or healing magic, demonology or necromancy the Energetics learn, that the most efficient spell is the one using pure magic energy not affiliated with any element nor school. The Energetic uses magic in its pure form for destructive and curative, offensive and defensive spells. His biggest power lies in his versatile skills and his ability to cope with any situation.
Teamed up with several companions or alone, facing a single strong enemy or a group the energetic fights always with his full potential.

Attachments

• HeroContestTHW AccnameTheEnergetic.w3x
    51.5 KB · Views: 68
Level 14
That hero is a bit tricky, i mean you have more than four abilities if you count that "merge" thingy...

If gets allowed it could be exploited on all the entries giving us heroes with 7-8 abilities...

Well think about it, if the panther dies the hero is totally lost until the cooldown ends, don't you think?
I hope it gets approved, but is not so tricky, mostly of the skills doesn't use triggers anyway, only the merge and the passive.

Level 16

It's true that there are heroes with 4 active skills. But in my opinion passive ones are more challenging in every kind (balance/originality and of course the coding). With just 4 active abilities it would be borring :O

Level 22
Ye, I understand you there :D

Well, hopefully there won't be any confusion about it now that it's clarified.

Edit: Azsure, ummm, I believe 4 spells is the max. You are going to make a hero which represents you and give it 4 abilities that fit who you are.

Level 11
I would not save any locations into the hashtable at all in those triggers.

The tutorials I've read and the spells I've seen do exactly the same thing.

EDIT: I think I have to change the whole thing. Meh :/

The first trigger has a location leak.
I think I know where the leak is :)

EDIT: Gotcha!

The location removals in the looping trigger are in a wrong place.

Hmm, I dunno about that but I'll look into it, even though I'm sure I won't change it because I won't be able to find the mistake.

EDIT: I moved them, I think they're in the correct place now :)

Thanks for your hints, be sure that I will contact you again when this contest is over :)
(those spells are going to be used in my spellpack, so I need to make them as efficient as I possibly can)

It's true that there are heroes with 4 active skills. But in my opinion passive ones are more challenging in every kind (balance/originality and of course the coding). With just 4 active abilities it would be borring :O

I hate you. Now I have to magically convert my active ability and make it passive. May your mana pool be empty for ever and EVAH!

bee

bee

Level 2
can i use Dummy Model in my map? but i dont know who made it
1 spell has been made. =)

Level 4

Edit: Azsure, ummm, I believe 4 spells is the max. You are going to make a hero which represents you and give it 4 abilities that fit who you are.

[Accname The Energetic]
if i have to use 1 passive i have 2 choices now:
1). Make my ultimate skill passive. (what i think is rather lame...)

2). Make one of my other skills the ultimative. (what i dont want)

i dislike both scenarios. well, i will have to think a little bit about this i believe...

Edit: Got another question, would a skill to be activated/deactivated counted as active or passive skill? cause you dont use it like an active skill, its rather like a passive one you can choose to use or not.

by the way, i got a question for you: is it the Energetic, or the Energetican?

good luck!
Accname.

Level 4
I'd like to know about I/O skills too. I guess they count as actives though :/

i dont think so, if you think about it, would you consider searing arrows active? you dont select any target, you dont use it for some purpose, you dont do anything with it along as your hero doesnt attack.
its rather a passive cause if it wouldnt take any mana you could make it just passive without any change.

cause i would like to make this skill passive/ Activateable:
Skill 1).
Energy Spheres:
The Energetic summons 3/4/5 energy spheres, these spheres follow him and attack nearby enemys with bolts of lightning. Spheres vanish after they attacked 20 times.

to something like this:
Energy Spheres: [Active/Unactive]
When this skill is activated the Energetic will summon energy spheres every 15 seconds, these spheres will follow him and attack nearby enemys with bolts of lightning. The spheres vanish after they attacked 15 times.
[Level 1] Summons up to 3 spheres.
[Level 2] Summons up to 4 spheres.
[Level 3] Summons up to 5 spheres.

Level 4
this is a problem for the balancing of my hero, i hope you understand, if i make that skill to be activated/unactivated it would take mana, i cannot make it use mana if its passive cause the player might dont want to use it then.

Level 22
Ye, I agree.

Anyway, here's a WIP for one of the spells of a hero I'm working on.
YES, I'm working on a hero too. What else should I do while waiting for you guys?

Watch it on YouTube to see bigger version ^^

NOTE: This hero will not be in this contest. I'm a judge I can't participate.

Level 14

Those new abilities of the merge aren't hero abilities that can increase with the skill level, like the Growl of the Wild, it doesn't increase of level, it's just a unit abilitie and replaces the summoning, then if I can't use more spells I will use the Moon Strike instead of the Moon Slash, so if you count the spells it will be only 4 spells

-Moon Strike
-Panther Summoning (when you merge you change this for the Growl of the Wild that is not a hero spell because it doesn't have skill levels)
-Moonlight (Passive)
-Power Merged (Ultimate)

Well, this hero represents me because I like night elves, the Moonlight Clan and the felines.
Just tell me if this new way is allowed, ok?

Level 7
i remember someone (i think Kingz) stating here that TimerUtils and such are allowed, just not those large systems or something.

and Xiliger said you can change your name a little, like if you're MagictheGathering101 you can use Magic the Gathering.

^Yay^

Spell Event and xebasic (for the constants) are ok?

Oh my Avatar will be DevilDuke the Democratic Demon Ruler

Status
Not open for further replies.