• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hero Contest #3 - Avatar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 17
the%20hive%20workshop.png

hero.png
contest.png
number.png
3.png

The contestants must create an avatar of them selves. The Avatar must be in the form of a Warcraft 3 Hero. Your Avatar must have 4 spells, each spell must have 3 - 4 levels(Ultimate only requires 1 level). One of the abilities must be an Ultimate ability (Level 6 Ability), and your Avatar must have 1 passive skill.(The passive skill may be your ultimate skill)

Your hero's name must be your Hive Workshop forum name, or a link to it.

If you are uncertain about the theme or what is meant by avatar, please read this :

You must make your self as an Warcraft 3 hero. (This has nothing to do with Avatar the movie with the Na'vi or Avatar, the last Airbender.)

It is just like a normal hero contest, except that you have to create your self.

Example :

debode said:
I think what he means and making yourself in WarCraft. Like...

Deolrin
Troll Fanatic

1) Avatar: The hero takes the form of a random Loa god, gaining benefits dependent on the god.
2) Voodoo Doll: The hero creates a voodoo doll of a target hero. This enables the hero to use potions or weapons in order to harm or heal the target. Potions used to heal an ally disappear on use while weapons used to damage a target have a long cooldown but stay in the inventory. Damage depends on the weapon.
3) Dance of War: The hero's fighting style involves dance-like movements, enabling him to dodge attacks and gain a timed bonus to speed from enemy attacks. Passive ability.
4) Rage: While the ability is active, the hero gains 200% bonus attack speed and 15 damage points, but loses 3% of his current life per second and suffers from an armor change to Unarmored and loses 2 armor. Ultimate ability.

and

debode said:
Not your actual forum image avatar. More like... What represents you when it comes to the Hive. Say Misha likes Naga, so he'll be a Naga hero. Say General Frank likes tanks and modeling so he'll be a modeling tank or something.

Note:
Your hero does not have to have your characteristics, personality or anything like that, It should be the way you would like to be represented as an hero in warcraft.

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

• No submission may violate any Hive Workshop site rules.
  • Teams are not allowed; the entire hero must be made by a single user. However, you're able to use any resources publicly available in THW database, except for spells.
    • Requesting resources are okay as long as you give a link to them in this contest thread.
  • The hero must have a total of 4 skills.
  • The spells can be made using GUI, JASS, vJASS, or just significant object editor work.
  • The hero must be like other WC3 heroes and have one ultimate skill and three regular skills.
  • All spells must have been made after the start of this contest; no previous work allowed.
  • Systems that do most of the work for you are not allowed. This includes things such as "Caster Systems". However, things such as damage detection or Struct attachment systems are fine as long as the author is credited.
    > Please read the side note at the bottom of this post for more information.
  • You're only allowed 1 submission.
  • You must post at least 1 WIP before the contest deadline to prove that your entry is your own. Also it's just good to get feedback.
prizes.png

• First Place: 50 reputation points and your entry on an award icon
  • Second Place: 30 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 15 reputation points and an award icon

judges.png

contest%20judging%20and%20voting.png

Originality
How original the hero is. Small derivations of standard WC3 heroes won't yield much score in this category./15

Visual
How does your hero/spells/icons/ect look (Eye Candy)./5

Coding
How leak free, efficient, and well structured the coding of the map is./10

Synergy
How well the abilities fit together. This means the synergy between abilities./15

Balance
How balanced the hero is compared with other WC3 heroes. Is it overpowered? Underpowered?/5
  • 75 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 25 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.

contest%20dates%20and%20deadline.png

• The contest shall begin on 15 March 2010 and conclude on 10 April 2010 23:59, GMT

A note on systems/scripts:
Please post the systems you are using before you start using them so that the judges can tell you if that system is allowed. There were some mishaps in the previous contest regarding this issue and we do not want this to happen again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 17
*Reserved for future use.

It has been 6 months since the previous hero contest, so why not begin the next one.

There is a small break before the contest begins, for the people that participated in the solo mapmaking contest.

If there are people that has a broad knowledge of coding and wants to be a judge, please post your name here.

Level 48
I think what he means and making yourself in WarCraft. Like...

Deolrin
Troll Fanatic

1) Avatar: The hero takes the form of a random Loa god, gaining benefits dependent on the god.
2) Voodoo Doll: The hero creates a voodoo doll of a target hero. This enables the hero to use potions or weapons in order to harm or heal the target. Potions used to heal an ally disappear on use while weapons used to damage a target have a long cooldown but stay in the inventory. Damage depends on the weapon.
3) Dance of War: The hero's fighting style involves dance-like movements, enabling him to dodge attacks and gain a timed bonus to speed from enemy attacks. Passive ability.
4) Rage: While the ability is active, the hero gains 200% bonus attack speed and 15 damage points, but loses 3% of his current life per second and suffers from an armor change to Unarmored and loses 2 armor. Ultimate ability.

Level 8
So basicly I can just change my avatar to whatever I want and still follow the contest theme? If so thats lame...

Level 8
So in the end the theme is whatever I want ehh ? I can say that my avatar represents whatever I like is what I mean, which in the end is still lame. The contest should have a specific theme.

Level 8
Erm okay define what me is. Oh wait, you can't. Only I can do that. And I can define myself as whatever I want, which is what every other user can do, which in the end means everyone can make whatever theme he wants and in the same time follow the contests "theme". Lame I'm tellin' ya.

Level 25
Let me put it this way:

If you make a bunny represent you it is your choice and you think you are seen like that on THW.

I doubt anyone suffers from split personality issue here and if i were to do an hero it would either be a slitherin guard, a ilidian hero or a faceless void hero as i mostly find those 3 my favorite units inside warcraft and they almost all follow the same body structure(muscular heroes with melee attacks, keen in dark arts, fast in moving, all wielding really nice weapons, all tend to be green/blue skin based and so on) and the things i mentioned is how i would like to be if i were in a warcraft game.

Level 8
I doubt anyone suffers from split personality issue here and if i were to do an hero it would either be a slitherin guard, a ilidian hero or a faceless void hero as i mostly find those 3 my favorite units inside warcraft.
And I'm gonna do a water elemental, frost elemental or wind elemental. We both will follow the contests theme but in the same time we just create what we want. Thats what I want to say...

Level 25
.Rain said:
And I'm gonna do a water elemental, frost elemental or wind elemental. We both will follow the contests theme but in the same time we just create what we want. Thats what I want to say...

I ain't old enough to say what kind of behaviour i represent, nor am i old enough to say i belong to that type of people, like that, hate that...

I just said some examples which all have some key points which ties them together:
muscular heroes with melee attacks, keen in dark arts, fast in moving, all wielding really nice weapons, all tend to be green/blue skin based and so on

I can't say for sure what would i make since i don't think my personality is fully developed yet and i am not qualified to say otherwise.

Level 8
The idea of the contest is the synergy, the coding, the idea
Then why put a theme in there? Just make it a "Hero Contest #3" and there wont be any fuck ups. Its just those things seriously need to be explained cuz I don't want to see a second Zephyr contest fail(which was again all about the coding and people then started whining how we all didn't follow the theme, because noone cared to explain it properly).

Level 11
For me looks like it would be more funny if the contestants make Avatars of each other. For example - I make Xiliger's Avatar, how I see him in my opinion, and he does mine :D

][_,([])][_,

Nevermind, each triggering contest is a cool opportunity to get some cool stuff and spells :)

I'll take part

Level 23
If this is approved, I know exactly what I am.

Any model from the database or a request within the specific time of the contest would be approved as usual right?
Edit yeah, saw that:>
Edit well I think I will join, it sounds interesting indeed

Last edited:
Level 16
I think i'll try to make something. But i have a question to the models of our heroes should they be selfmade or can i just take the old hos slayer model?

Level 17
I added some more info on the theme, just to make it easier to understand. I quoted your explanations debode, hope you have no problem with that.

Edit :

You don't have to model anything, or create any icons. All you have to do is create the hero, if you can create models or icons, then that is just a +, now you can create your hero more to your liking. You may use any models or icons that don't violate any of the hives rules, like the models from that Russian site.

Level 18
I suggest you hold a poll to decide a theme. The current theme (avatar) is no good, simply because there's no way to judge on the 'theme' point. I mean who is going to tell us whether those skills match the creator's personality? Some people might have a personality they show in their avatars, but not on this forum (for whatever reason that may be). Other people don't talk a lot in the forum or are new, so who's going to tell that their hero match their personalities?

For everybody who doesn't yet know what an avatar is:
The theme's avatar is meant as a representation of yourself. An avatar can be a picture, a model or anything that might link the object/person/event to specifically you.
While some of you might think of Avatar: The Airbender serie when you hear avatar, you're not too far off either. The kid in that serie is called the avatar, because he represents all 4 elements and his ancestors. But to keep it simple, you best stick with the first of these 2 descriptions if you want to know what an avatar is.

Having explained that, I think more people will understand why the theme 'avatar' is not good to judge on in the Theme category, since I can say anything matches me and there's nothing you can say to prove me wrong. I could make the very worst hero you've ever seen and call myself simply chaotic or something.
Guess that proves my point right there.

Well its more so the idea of the theme of the hero that's being judged and not your personality personally - even though it's supposed to represent your personality. Yes who's to say that you aren't chaotic, but a hero with absolutely no synergy would completely fail at the theme of it. No one's starring at the hero's and saying "Heeeeeeeeey, thats nothing like you, your a dick" - you can definitely say that in your head, but that doesn't mean the theme isn't valid.

How well the abilities fit the theme of the hero. This also includes the synergy between abilities.

See it's really about picking a theme (you) and sticking with it, so your abilities much match your theme, but of course your vision of yourself may not fit what others think your like. So if your theme is something like "Friendly Moose Mapper," then your abilities should relate to that - not be related to ducks.

Level 18
Well its more so the idea of the theme of the hero that's being judged and not your personality personally

I don't understand what that may mean :S
Are you saying the theme should match the hero? But the theme is about the hero! So what's the point of matching your hero with your hero?

(Damn, I must be WAY off, because this just doesn't make sense in any way!)

Level 17
@ Avator :

The second hero contest had no specific theme, it was just to create a hero. The category for theme (in concept to points and judging) is how the abilities fit your hero, synergy. You could actually say the theme was to create a high quality hero(Hero Contest 2). Same as in this contest. You can create the abilities as you like, how you would like to be represented as a warcraft hero. For example :

My entry would be this :

My hero would be a bear (I like bears, if a warcraft her would represent me, it would be a bear.)

The abilities would all be about power/strength - Bears are strong, I would like to be seen as a strong hero. With abilities that gives a health boost, damage boost and reduction to damage.

None of the judging / scoring is about the avatar theme, the avatar theme is only added for fun. Its not how your personality is, rather how you would like to represented as a wc3 hero.

The Avatar idea is only to make it fun.

I have no problem in holding a poll to select another theme, I just thought it would be a cool idea to create your avatar.

So far most of the people liked the theme, if there is more people that disagree, then we will hold a pole.

-Xiliger

*Sorry for my bad sentence construction, I am Afrikaans, not very good with English.

Level 18
Then you would still be representing yourself (aka your personality) in the shape of a wc3 hero.

This still leaves my question on judgment on the theme open, since I could represent myself (for example) by a 70m tall colossus, but I love going stealthy. For an outsider, that is completely illogical, in witch case either I score bad at Theme (if it's judged based on how it's skills match the model) or I can't be judged, since it's my personality (if it's judged based on how the hero matches you).

Level 17
(for example) by a 70m tall colossus, but I love going stealthy.

I get your point. But the idea of the avatar theme is just to make a little more fun. And judging shouldn't go like that (With the theme) It should be how the abilities synergies, fit together, or we can just change the theme criteria to something else, like synergy(to avoid confusion) instead of theme.

Level 18
Why do we have a theme if it's not there to have entries based on? And if my avatar (my representation) would be something with completely opposite skills, they would look like rubbish to someone else, while they would perfectly represent me. That's why avatar is not a good theme, because it's not based on something solid.

Level 23
Why do we have a theme if it's not there to have entries based on? And if my avatar (my representation) would be something with completely opposite skills, they would look like rubbish to someone else, while they would perfectly represent me. That's why avatar is not a good theme, because it's not based on something solid.

you can still fit your lore of the hero perfectly well with the abilities you are making.

Level 11
The theme is okay. Overall, I expect, that everybody will represent himself as a hero devoted to one type of powers (As for Xiliger - he will be warrior; I'd prefer smth like Death Knight). Since we decided to take these ways, we have no reason to add Nature skills to DK or Ice Arrows to bear - right? Probably synergy can also be stated as a fitting of skills to a hero MODEL, so with this 7km titan and stelth we can just say, that you are insane and call 911 =)

However, I'd prefer some another theme, for example - creating a hero, which should fit any of the races (I mean, we can simply put them into the one of the four altars and play in Melee etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.