• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hero Contest #3 - Avatar

Status
Not open for further replies.
][_,([])][_,ed. It's a joke, right? :D About not even leaving a chance?
Err, no.

i think Zinc is not allowed
I don't see that anywhere in the rules, and why shouldn't it be allowed? It works with normal JassHelper.

And if it's an issue with the judging (judges don't know Zinc), you can always force a vJass syntax error to get the code to come up in vJass.

Level 11

Uhm, well... Then, explain please, why do you think, that your using of technology not everyone possesses will lead to your beating them? I don't see any judjing criteria stating that super-duper Jass spells will get more points for coding than good GUI spells.

And if you think that you'll beat shit of us by providing cool spells - then it's just a vainglory. Nobody knows, whos idea will be coolest.

Jass has only a small plus in a coding part, but it doesn't influence in any way on four other parts of judjing criteria, dude. We have a proverb in our country: "Vainglory punishes itself" :)

I don't see that anywhere in the rules, and why shouldn't it be allowed?

And I'm not sure, but probably this site rule forbids using Zinc?

Site Rules said:
Compatibility
Currently, spells are allowed in Vanilla GUI (No third party GUI modifications), JASS, or vJASS. All spells must be 1.24 compatible.

Aspard said:
Uhm, well... Then, explain please, why do you think, that your using of technology not everyone possesses will lead to your beating them? I don't see any judjing criteria stating that super-duper Jass spells will get more points for coding than good GUI spells.

And if you think that you'll beat shit of us by providing cool spells - then it's just a vainglory. Nobody knows, whos idea will be coolest.

Jass has only a small plus in a coding part, but it doesn't influence in any way on four other parts of judjing criteria, dude. We have a proverb in our country: "Vainglory punishes itself" :)
Me said:
I'm planning some spells that would be near-impossible to make in GUI or even vanilla Jass
Seriously, other people will too. I highly doubt a GUI user will win the contest.
Aspard said:
And I'm not sure, but probably this site rule forbids using Zinc?
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/site-discussion-97/zinc-resources-acceptable-146328/

It's not against the site rules :p

Level 17
Jass and vJass is indeed more powerful, but I can assure you that GUI users can create awesome spells. Even if you have all the power in the world, but no use for it, its still useless. So yea, without an good idea, your spell will still suck even if it's vJass.

I am sorry, but what is Zinc

Edit

I see no problem with this so called Zinc. But we should ask the judges and PY as well.

EoF... this thread does not state that Zinc is allowed if you can read, Poot just said that there is no reason to disallow it. But the spellsection rules still do't mention Zinc so it's not accepted as a script format (officialy)
Yes, JH support will of course be maintained as it is the standard.
I think that's a pretty unquestionable YES.

PS: You have to remember that this was when Poot was "Site Director" or whatever, so if he said they're acceptable, they're acceptable...

Level 14
I dont like to be a party pooper here, but none of you have even tried to challange most of the points i brought up. How about you give me some good answers and try to convince me? Let me reiterate my points for you:

• Reimplementing large systems is tiresome and entirely unnecessary. I hope i dont have to explain why.
  • Minimum complexity of code should be a goal for most people. That doesnt mean you should sacrifice originality and gameplay for simplicity. The hundredth Fireball spell is neither original nor appealing.
  • Previous contests are irrelevant, since the changes i propose (now that the judging criteria have already changed) dont radically change the contest.

Level 22
Deaod, I don't actually care if you use a big system, but what I do care about is that at least 75% of the code is done by you from scratch, so if you use a system which got 1000 lines then your spell must have at least 3000 lines of code, and that goes for each spell, meaning if you make 4 spells using that system then you will end up with at least 12000 lines of code and that won't make me happy.
For the minimum complexity thing that's fine. Spells which use overcomplicated means to accomplish something that could be done easier will get reduced ratings from me.
And last, I like how it is now.

Last edited:
Level 14
Then you wont see any (valid) vJass entries. Hell, TimerUtils has 100+ lines. I dont want to write 300+ lines per spell. Go to hell with that. If someone uses another library to minimize complexity, you shouldnt penalize him for that, as hes doing it right.

The_Reborn_Devil said:
Spells which use overcomplicated means to accomplish something will get reduced ratings from me.
Let's hope you're saying that for the big systems you mentioned previously, because seriously, if you already are biased in favour of complex spells, don't judge at all. How are people supposed to make something original? With a dummy to cast Stormbolt? They of course need complicated spells. We're at a point, where almost everything has already been seen and made.

Level 23
Then you wont see any (valid) vJass entries. Hell, TimerUtils has 100+ lines. I dont want to write 300+ lines per spell. Go to hell with that. If someone uses another library to minimize complexity, you shouldnt penalize him for that, as hes doing it right.

That's about what my Jass spells do take, including blank rows and comments. TimerUtils contains that too, meh.

Level 14
Huge systems are not.
Why? Why wont you let me use xe or any other sufficiently complex system? If i need scalable, moveable effects, let me use xefx. If i want custom buffs, let me use Dusk's IBS. If i need dummy casters, let me use xecast.

I dont think anyone is seriously going to try and use SEE in his submission.

Level 22
Let's hope you're saying that for the big systems you mentioned previously, because seriously, if you already are biased in favour of complex spells, don't judge at all. How are people supposed to make something original? With a dummy to cast Stormbolt? They of course need complicated spells. We're at a point, where almost everything has already been seen and made.
I didn't mean that. I meant that you won't get a high scoring if you use an overcomplicated way to do something which could be done simpler.

Example:

(Overcomplicated way)
JASS:
scope ex initializer Init
globals
    string array rofl
endglobals

private function DoEet takes nothing returns nothing
    local integer i = 0
    local string s = ""
    loop
        exitwhen i > 7
        set s = s + rofl[i]
        set i = i + 1
    endloop
    call BJDebugMsg(s)
endfunction

private function Init takes nothing returns nothing
    set rofl[0] = "H"
    set rofl[1] = "a"
    set rofl[2] = "i"
    set rofl[3] = " "
    set rofl[4] = "t"
    set rofl[5] = "h"
    set rofl[6] = "a"
    set rofl[7] = "r"
    call DoEet()
endfunction
endscope

(Normal way)
JASS:
scope ex initializer Init

private function Init takes nothing returns nothing
    call BJDebugMsg("Hai thar")
endfunction
endscope

See what I mean?

Level 22
1. Don't use TimerUtils
2. Write the damn 300 lines. It's not that much. I often write spells containing 600 lines without timer utils or other systems. And that's done in one day..

Also, you don't need to use another system for it to be valid. Any entry is valid as long as it doesn't break any rules. Also, the 75% thing isn't something only I said. Go back a few pages and you'll see the others say it too.

Why? Why wont you let me use xe or any other sufficiently complex system?

...do it the normal way?

If i want custom buffs, let me use Dusk's IBS.
Object editor + dummy unit!
If i need dummy casters, let me use xecast.
Object editor + few lines of code!

Your way is like taking a car and driving to put something in the mailbox 30m away. Sure it's easier but that doesn't mean it's better.

Level 14
The last hero contest had heroes which were even more detailed(read more lines) and it didn't fail.
Did all of them have that much detail?

do it the normal way?
The normal way would be using those systems.

Object editor + dummy unit!
No. Theres a reason Dusk wrote that system.

Object editor + few lines of code!
Theres a reason Vex wrote xecast.

Your way is like taking a car and driving to put something in the mailbox 30m away. Sure it's easier but that doesn't mean it's better.
In the scenario youre describing, using the car would be the inferior solution.

1. Don't use TimerUtils
Id rather cut my wrists than redo what has already been done.

2. Write the damn 300 lines. It's not that much. I often write spells containing 600 lines without timer utils or other systems. And that's done in one day..
If you didnt notice, i had to correct myself: TimerUtils has nearly 250 lines. That means even your 600 lines spell wouldnt satisfy your own requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.