• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Solo Mapping Competition #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
Im not sure I know exactly what Bone Knight is doing, as its the first time I have seen a method like that. Maybe you guys could make sure I have it right.

Bone Knight is creating his entire maps base terrain in a model editor, so he can make it as detailed and as free as he wants. Then, he is going to export and import it into his map, and manually set certain pathing blockers so that the player can walk on the model appropriatly.

Is that whats going on? XD

~Asomath

Level 25
Yeah, i personaly would like to see that hapen, but i think the terraining manualy is a great task, not meant to be for 1 person :p

@X-OMG-X

Well up to the 1st main puzzle you will encounter only blizz cliffs.
After that i will see to terrain it differently, avoiding blizz cliffs entirely :p

Well up to the 1st main puzzle you will encounter only blizz cliffs.
After that i will see to terrain it differently, avoiding blizz cliffs entirely :p

Im not saying you should avoid the cliffs, but just use a custom texture. A little like in D3W. It will make the cliffs match the other imports and hq models. Not using cliffs wont make the terrain better. Im just saying that you should make/request a custom cliff texture that matches the overall look of your terrain. It will make the terrain one million times better. And then if you want to, you can make/request/find a matching custom tile. It would make the terrain really awesome. But thats ofc up to you what you wanna do ;)

Level 12
yep i got a simple but efective way of doing so lets say the model below has texture of size 20 kb

25q39z7.jpg

Level 25
All custom textures? o_O

The filesize will be big then :p

Also don't forget things like triggers also take up space.

There is also a factor of sound, or even voice acting.

EDIT:

Is importing custom sounds ok?
I mean i am thinking of importing a sound from another game(an old game) :p

guys, guys, guys i already have almost all textures i need for my models and they are 750 kb so thats not problem i have around 4 mb for rest :)

Hope you don't get too caught up with modeling everything that you forget everything else, like triggers, etc. :)

Edit:

New WiP's coming soon - more in game

Edit:

Added a quick overview of all I have terrained so far (the black thing is just a place holder until I make a Snap Dragon Statue model) - Im gonna terrain all the puzzle areas first, then fill in the rest with water and aesthetics

Edit again:
Gonna make some background music soon, I'm thinking something sort of like this:

Attachments

• OverviewWiP1.jpg
    OverviewWiP1.jpg
    328.8 KB · Views: 86
Looks cool, round structures are quite hard to pull off in Wc, so kudos for that

Edit:

In game Pics - note: Empty Spaces are areas I haven't got to yet. They're either gonna be part of the walkway/puzzle/trap areas or something aesthetic (most likely on top of water).

Please Ignore my terrible icon, Ill replace that when I get to it.

Btw, is there any way to hide the User Interface on the bottum of the screen so that the actual game can fill more of the screen? Since things like health aren't going to matter, I'm probably better off without it so I can make a less invasive interface (triggered).

Attachments

• RuinInGameWIP1.jpg
    RuinInGameWIP1.jpg
    392 KB · Views: 82
  • RuinsInGameWiP2.jpg
    RuinsInGameWiP2.jpg
    487.6 KB · Views: 68
  • RuinsInGameWiP3.jpg
    RuinsInGameWiP3.jpg
    379 KB · Views: 67
  • RuinsInGameWiP4.jpg
    RuinsInGameWiP4.jpg
    395.2 KB · Views: 66
  • RuinsInGameWiP8.jpg
    RuinsInGameWiP8.jpg
    511.8 KB · Views: 55
  • RuinsInGameWiP7.jpg
    RuinsInGameWiP7.jpg
    501.4 KB · Views: 59
  • RuinsInGameWiP6.jpg
    RuinsInGameWiP6.jpg
    390.5 KB · Views: 60
  • RuinsInGameWiP5.jpg
    RuinsInGameWiP5.jpg
    409.9 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Not to sound harsh, but all those screenshots gives a feeling of outdoor areay :p

Nah its all indoors, Its just huge and underground.

Perhapes this will help ya

Take a view of one room, zoom out and remove the fog and this is what it looks like.

It's sort of like a huge hall, with many complicated pathways. It's still walled in from all sides

(this is not a view your gonna see in game, because one there's no ceiling. I may add one in later if its necessary, but as of now I need to work on other more important things)

Attachments

• RuinsBig.jpg
    RuinsBig.jpg
    492.5 KB · Views: 86
Well it looked like that from that point, but i am sure it will look better ingame, since the camera will be at a lower altitude and at a difrent angle, no?

Very much yes, you will never see that view - those collums should be supporting the "ceiling" not just ending abruptly. Also the fog is pretty thick so you can't see that far.

so this is one big area in one room?

This is one room, but its a huge room. Take a look at the picture above thats of all the terrain I have from birds eye view. You start out in the room sort of below the room in the center, then go up into the "Grand Hall" which is shapped like a cross. The room your trying to get into is north, then theres rooms to the left and right. This is the room to the Right, and it is pretty big. Its going to condense into some smaller areas and smaller branch off rooms, but the main area in this "Segment" (basically your trying to get the orb done from the big naga statue holding it in the grand hall) is this big one.

Basically you need 2 keys to get into the room to the North from the grand hall which should lead to the final area.

Change the fog. Underground fog != light blue.

Well I'm not going for an underground sort of feel, though It is underground its a sort of Labyrinth and thus has tons of water everywhere (I'm going to incorporate water into some of the later puzzles/traps), thats moving around with steam and such. Thus the fog would be a bit more greenish/blueish.

Level 2
I'm not entirely sure what this means by inside.
Cause mine is gonna be in ruins, but you're not going to be underground or anything.
So... can i do this, or do i have to change it..?

I'm not entirely sure what this means by inside.
Cause mine is gonna be in ruins, but you're not going to be underground or anything.
So... can i do this, or do i have to change it..?

I'm pretty sure by inside Syleona is just trying to keep the Player on some sort of Linear or Polylinear progression, moving from room to room solving the puzzles within or evading/falling into traps within these rooms. Basically I think she just wants us to force the player to face these elements instead of just giving them room to move around them.

Level 19
few WIP-s for you guys

t63qdv.jpg

27y0mir.jpg

167kn7p.jpg

Well Boneknight. I gotta say this is a really cool way of creating terrain, but there's one concern.

Models tend to disappear with a certain angle. You can avoid that by doing a little trick with the model as explained in this tutorial: link. But the problem with that is, if you use themodel as a destructible (to make it walkable) the movement will become much much harder. It's hard to describe the problem you will face then but its like you gotta click on the place of the TERRAIN where you want a unit to move to isntead of the model. So if that big model of you would be floating you will have to increase the terrain's height under it till it's nearly the same height.

Maybe you already found a solution for that problem. But if you didn't try it ingame yet I would really warn you because it might occur like it did with a map of me. A way to avoid it is make it a walkable destructible, place it and just let it disappear with certain angles. The movement will still be normal on those destructibles then. All you gotta do then is add a 2nd model of the terrain WITH the fixes olofmoleman did in that tutorial and add that as a doodad (non walkable) exactly on top of it. The only problem would then be that this takes double the file size.

So once again. I hope you already found a (maybe even better) solution. But this was just incase you didn't.:grin:
Oh and I really love that 'terrain model'.

Level 2
I'm pretty sure by inside Syleona is just trying to keep the Player on some sort of Linear or Polylinear progression, moving from room to room solving the puzzles within or evading/falling into traps within these rooms. Basically I think she just wants us to force the player to face these elements instead of just giving them room to move around them.

I see. Thanks.

Looks amazing. You like sewers? :p

well, I don't like sewers in real, but I wanted to do something with platforms,
and small ways. first I thought of something with a rock path. I was
searching for fitting ambient music, and then I heard a sewer music.
I was fascinated, and I had a clear image in front of my eyes: Sewers, many
pipes, green creepy light, which givves a real sewer atmosphere.

And the sewers are some kind of labyrinth in my map, where the player
first has to find the exit so he can continue :)
It's not really possible to do some puzzle stuff on pipes, because of the
platforms, where you're not able to place units.
So they are only a small part of the map. But can be time consuming, if
you cannot find the exit :)

X-OMG-X's

Preview Gallery

Some ingame screenshots of stage 0-1. Terrain is incomplete.
Im not going to show any of my featuring systems, because of idea ripping.
The first stages contains easy puzzles, traps, mindbreakers and filled with entertaining action.
The screenshot series also contains a preview on my upcoming UI for the project.

WiP6.pngWiP7.pngWiP8.pngWiP9.png

Level 9

WIP

Be gentle, it's my first time :p

1st SC: Starting with an intro cinematic on the outside, 2 simple secrets included.
2nd SC: My first place for puzzling, there is another room that is empty for now..

Attachments

• SC1.jpg
    SC1.jpg
    423.4 KB · Views: 98
  • SC2.jpg
    SC2.jpg
    311.5 KB · Views: 100
Status
Not open for further replies.