• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Solo Mapping Competition #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
just made some walls for my map (ingame textures) still have to do a gate

2ih08d5.jpg

Level 7
I can already see judging will be hard. It's only 2 days passed and very interesting things are on the horizon. :) Well, design wise at least.

There is a train model in the models section btw, along with the locomotive...

Meh, not as fun

"You need to bee carefull 'ith this green water, mah friend has drinked some and 'as not a 'ood vision hah! look that hammer!"

You might want to make something flat to stand on, the forgotten ones may get confusing after a while. Also I don't think he'd have eyes on his insides (thats a minor detail).

Maybe find some sort of flat flesh platform thing that shows the pathway a bit better to put on top of the forgotten ones

I got 639 in the unit group, when i do the move, they also move vertically, it moves, but it gets ugly, and with a 0.00 wait it gets ugly aswell, any suggestions? ;o

Timers? Also I would suggest moving at .03 seconds instead of .01 since it looks a bit smoother (from my experiance)

Edit: Looked at your trigger wrong. Its the wait .20 seconds thats killing you, use .03 seconds but make the movement much more gradual (y + .1 perhapes).

Infrenus - I'd suggest looking the minimap to the area where the dungeon starts so you can't see the water and stuff on it in the top left (for some reason I can never find the function though, so I can't tell you what it is)

The minimap I will see after the terrain, I think of really taking off the minimap

Yeah I was thinking of that too - for you it makes more sense not to have a minimap because you really shouldn't have any clue what the inside of a giant sea dragon looks like so yeah, you wouldn't know.

I'm thinking of possibly making a new map that you can bring up at any time that covers the whole screen showing your position and possibly allowing you to take some limited notes by placing markers on it. As to how I'm going to accomplish this, I have no clue

Level 7
I'm thinking of possibly making a new map that you can bring up at any time that covers the whole screen showing your position and possibly allowing you to take some limited notes by placing markers on it. As to how I'm going to accomplish this, I have no clue

You know, I actually wanted to do that once, but got stuck as I'm not really the best coder. Design and algorithm wise I have it all sorted thou :p

Maybe you should remove some the lesser rocks around the big rocks so they don't look like there floating (sorry to pop a model edit on ya, but that may be in your best interest).

You know, I actually wanted to do that once, but got stuck as I'm not really the best coder. Design and algorithm wise I have it all sorted thou :p

-Gets down on knees and begs- Please tell me your methods - I could possibly code it (I can say I've mastered GUI, though I'm still learning vJass which I am currently working on - I know enough to work with it though).

For marking the map, I just figured you could place invisible heroes of different players, then remove all their actions (like moving, attacking, etc.) then sharing there sight with the one player. It would create the dot, or in my case where I'm gonna try a custom map, I could use it as reference

Level 7
Um. No :)

As it's a design aspect. Unless the asset system was created previously, and you credit the system creator, then not.

If someone creates it specifically for this contest, other contestant cannot use it unfortunately. Once the contest is over, you will be able to use the system as you wish as long as the creator releases the asset.

Dang.

Well anyways worked on that second room a little bit more, giant waterfalls still on hold until I can find/make a better one.

This is going to be like the grand hall, it has 4 entrances/exits - The one you came in, one thats blocked off until you retrieve the 2 orbs (that in itself is not a puzzle, and will be obvious once I edit the myrmedon models,so I feel no problem shouting it to everyone), and the 2 corridors to the right and left. The two on the left and right lead to more puzzles, like general puzzle areas.

I'm gonna try and incorporate huge water pillars in this room, but once again on hold until I find a model or a method of making them.

-Its odd, for some reason I won't let me place any starting location. I tested the map and it starts fine (no triggers yet, but yeah the map loads), but I want some insurance. All I have right no is just terrain so I don't feel any problem posting it up here, but could someone make sure they can open the map up in their editer? If its bugged now, then theres no point in continuing without restarting (something I want to avoid, any way possible. Terraining all this again will be a huge pain in the lower area).

(Ill go through and remove the unnecassary models when Im done terraining)

Attachments

• Ruins4.jpeg.jpg
    Ruins4.jpeg.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 102
  • ZZ - Project.w3x
    4.1 MB · Views: 94
Just opened it in the editor and in-game, and there is nothing wrong with it. :)
Heh, this is realy cool and have a good ambience

Thanks, WE just must hate me today. Thanks for that.

I just really didn't want to get all this terrain finished and placed, then have to go and do it again since the map is bugged. I would have to come up with some emotion stronger then hate, loath and despise combined for my hate of WE for doing that to me.

Not that I don't trust you, but why does it say that my map has 0 views?

Yeah I see what you mean. A couple minutes ago it said 0 views, now its got 31 - and all I've terrained is 2 rooms lol. Well thanks to anyone who downloaded it to make sure it works.

I have no in game preview (havent triggered anything yet, just terrain).

You can't see a starting location, because It won't let me put a starting location. I can fix that by immediately moving the camera to where I want it in game, but yeah I've never had that happen before. WE is really trying to screw me over in this contest.

Normally It will auto place one when you save it, but yeah thats not happening either. When I try to place one, I look at the pathing and the outside of the starting location is pathed fine, but theres always a large red block in the inside saying I cant place it for some reason. I can place buildings perfectly fine though, odd.

When Syleona said "indoor" I think its a bit more flexible then simply being inside a building. My guess is that she's fine with it as long as its basically in a confined space, sort of like a dungeon. Basically from reading the rules, this is based off of puzzles/traps/riddles inside rooms. The player should progress by conquering rooms then moving on to the next room, so as long as you have sort of linear progression (branching is probably fine too) it should be fine.

Edit:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Haha!, Success.

Idk, I just imported the altered statue model, saved, exited out and then back in and bam, theres a starting location

Attachments

• Success!.jpg
    Success!.jpg
    357.3 KB · Views: 82
Level 12
Okay, Lots of posts since my last one, so I'll try to reply them all:

This is NOT a Small RPG nor a Typical escape map. More like something between.
It's more like an RPG combined with a puzzle/riddle/trap filled adventure gameplay.

Also, this time I am not going to ask for significant replayability as the time is short and it's quite complicated to handle it if you are not an experienced coder. However, we'll give a big deal during the lectures to this subject. :)

The observer slots should be allowed, why not? Can be a handy thing.

Beta testing is allowed as well, as long as the beta tester will not be a Judge or Another Contestant.

I've seen some shots, and I am going to remember you all:
This HAS to be an Indoor map. It could start outdoor, like when your character enters the place, but after that it has to be indoor.

You said it could start outdoor, but can it also have some outdoor parts in the middle?

You said it could start outdoor, but can it also have some outdoor parts in the middle?

I'm pretty sure Syleona isn't going to take an completely rigid stance on indoor. I really don't think outdoor parts is going to bother her as long as it remains confined to a sort or "room" sort of thing (like perhapes the garden of a castle, or a balcony on a house)

Level 25
Oh well i started making the map today.

I been bussy with removing bugs from my system :3

Anyway here is a rough image of the starting position.
I am adding stuff to it currently, i just wanted to ask if the feeling is Indoor type, since this is all in a dungeon inside a temple :p

Attachments

• rough_scetch.JPG
    rough_scetch.JPG
    133.3 KB · Views: 83
Oh well i started making the map today.

I been bussy with removing bugs from my system :3

Anyway here is a rough image of the starting position.
I am adding stuff to it currently, i just wanted to ask if the feeling is Indoor type, since this is all in a dungeon inside a temple :p

reminds me somehow of diablo 3...
nice terrain :)

Level 12
I'm pretty sure Syleona isn't going to take an completely rigid stance on indoor. I really don't think outdoor parts is going to bother her as long as it remains confined to a sort or "room" sort of thing (like perhapes the garden of a castle, or a balcony on a house)

Alright then, thats good news. I dont know how I could have avoided the area with the cannibals feasting on a marine's brains outside :)

Well this may be a hard statement to back up, but the starting area of your game kinda reminds me of the Lair Of Theives dungeon from The Legend of Zelda: A link to the Past (was gonna post up a pic, but cant find one of that specific level. Just the starting area with a top area and bottom area in complicated patterns)

Alright then, thats good news. I dont know how I could have avoided the area with the cannibals feasting on a marine's brains outside :)

Well we can't leave that out can we?

If traps are your thing, you gotta go for the dungeon/ruin thing. The second I heard that traps would be the focus of this contest, the first word that popped into my head was "Labyrinth" and thus you see the results (Have the say that the Labyrinth level in the original Sonic Game was my favorite, that probably contributed to the style Im working with right now).

The picture of the train looks cool, but really It doesn't tell us much about the movement since it is, after all a pic. Unless you take a bunch of screen shots and turn them into 1 gif animation I don't see how you can show us the movement right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.