• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Cinematic Contest #4 - The Story of...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
Contestant list. I doubt that they will all finish but we'll see.

-.LsD
-aaron79
-Avator
-Beast(TrOg)
-Bob27
-Chaos.
-CMarket
-CoBrA b
-Critters
-Diablo-dk
-f0rsAk3n
-Hailfireer
-HappyCockroach
-hawk900
-Hemlock
-Just_Spectating
-jxtranhero
-MaD[Lion]
-ModelTester
-RED BARON
-RestorSquidle
-thedeathunterxx
-VeljkoM

Level 13
Well, as long as me and Warnicro stay you can at least expect a good duel ;)

Ohw you bet I am going to try everything in my power to get my submission done (Warnicro = Hemlock btw).

I will most likely post a few screenshots when I am nearing completion (which is still far off), and it's indeed a good idea to make a list of participants.

I hosted a cinematic contest once too, and it's good to let people update their progress and see who's still in or out.

Level 19
Or we could pick out and send a private message to 25 members/50 members to vote, and offer them +1 Rep to vote with honesty, plus there's a fixed number...

Level 14
Also, I don't think it is a good idea to consider 25% of public poll. Most people don't check all of them, or even the half, if we have a big quantity. I don't know if anyone's with me, but 10% of public poll is better...

25% is not high enough to influence the full decision. If it was anything lower than that it would be meaningless.

Or we could pick out and send a private message to 25 members/50 members to vote, and offer them +1 Rep to vote with honesty, plus there's a fixed number...
As much as you might think that's a good idea, it's actually really bad.

Level 24
Miss_Foxy, you never fail to amuse me. The majority of your posts are priceless, not saying they're useful in any way, though. Anyways, your idea pretty much sucks, as randomly picking 25 random members who shall decide which entry is the best... well, I'll just stop here.

I actually do agree with HappyCockroach. Members of lower amount of reputation is fatal to have their submissions quite ignored; plus, by psychological means, the most initial stimuli a person accepts, the more he embraces them. So, hypothetically speaking, if they watch the top reputation submissions firstly, those are the ones to be elected.

Then, another problem will come up: If some people at the end of the contest consider their rating as unfair, the judges will be accused once again, so, I think the current voting system is on the edge of the preferable results.

Oh, by the way, I am in too! ;)

Level 4
I actually do agree with HappyCockroach. Members of lower amount of reputation is fatal to have their submissions quite ignored; plus, by psychological means, the most initial stimuli a person accepts, the more he embraces them. So, hypothetically speaking, if they watch the top reputation submissions firstly, those are the ones to be elected.

Then, another problem will come up: If some people at the end of the contest consider their rating as unfair, the judges will be accused once again, so, I think the current voting system is on the edge of the preferable results.

Oh, by the way, I am in too! ;)

This is sad ...!! Who knows .... rep doesn't matter in contest

Level 35
This is sad ...!! Who knows .... rep doesn't matter in contest

Indeed. Else all contests would have the same winner, if there is a connection its most likely because there is a reason for the higher amount of rep, like general Frank, Elenai or similar.

A good prof of this claim is that pyritie actually haven't won first place in every contest he has been in, even though he has a high reputation.

Equal rep doesn't mean win.

Level 12
So, I started on my cin, just making skins..

10day later I go for one week out, so I hope I will finish this in these 10 days.

btw:that pic is not from cin, it is just how the skins should look like

Attachments

• noir.jpg
    noir.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 129
Level 13
Just a minor update on my progress.

About 50% of the terrain is about done, even tho the more detailed terrain is still to be made, screenshots will be presented from ingame footage when the cinematic is nearly done.

Additionally I have completed all voice acting for my map, you can hear the sample of the narrator that tells the story in the attachment below here.

Attachments

• Narrator01.mp3
    59.7 KB · Views: 48
Level 14
Hemlock, aren't you giving too many spoilers? You already gave story and voice spoilers and I presume you'll display the terrain as well. I, and many people, prefer to watch a movie(or in this case a warcraft 3 cinematic) with as little starting knowledge of it as possible.

Anyway, here's a terrain screen shot of my competition entry, which I already mentioned was named "The Clown of As'Latur"

Feedback is welcome and appreciated.

Attachments

• T17aaaa.jpg
    T17aaaa.jpg
    476.4 KB · Views: 130
Level 13
Hemlock, aren't you giving too many spoilers? You already gave story and voice spoilers and I presume you'll display the terrain as well. I, and many people, prefer to watch a movie(or in this case a warcraft 3 cinematic) with as little starting knowledge of it as possible.

Anyway, here's a terrain screen shot of my competition entry, which I already mentioned was named "The Clown of As'Latur"

Feedback is welcome and appreciated.

These are about all the spoilers that you might see just before the release, I stated people will be able to see screenshots, but nearly before it's completed, in my opinion it's a waste to show you terrain that is not definitely going to be used in the cinematic, or under that angle.

As for your screenshots, quite fancy I'd say, there are a couple of things you might want to work on.
Natural Erosion: The surrounding terrain the house is standing on is just raised equally and synchronized, try to make some variation. (keep in mind a house standing on grass or plain dirt also effects it's surrounding terrain ;).
Natural Tiles: Try to avoid using those felwood tiles in this picture, I don't think they blend in all that well, and might distract the viewers cause they don't flow along the tile setting theme that you are using here.

Level 14
Is there any chance (like usually) for extended dead line?

I'd advise against it unless absolutely necessary. As you said, extending usually is the case, which shouldn't be. If you want people to finish their entry by the deadline you need to show that it won't bend easily. Besides, what's the point of having a deadline if we're always going to push it.

Level 11
Its like a month long. And on summer. No school and other stuff (mostly), so you have plenty of time do make cinematic and do any other stuff you wish.

Level 7
Like other people, I may not have time for this...it just conflicts with the time I need to spend at school soon and other stuff. But I'm not dropping out; my cinematic just won't be as good or long as I probably wanted it.
Oh and I don't see an extension as necessary either.

Level 11
You enter the contest when you submit WIP. Well that is technically. But still, you can say your entering even the last day of time given :p

Level 12
Just a minor update on my progress.

About 50% of the terrain is about done, even tho the more detailed terrain is still to be made, screenshots will be presented from ingame footage when the cinematic is nearly done.

Additionally I have completed all voice acting for my map, you can hear the sample of the narrator that tells the story in the attachment below here.

I think the narrator struggles to have such a dark voice, it sounds like he can't breath that well. Personally i think it's a bad thing but voiceacting is always a plus.

Level 13
I think the narrator struggles to have such a dark voice, it sounds like he can't breath that well. Personally i think it's a bad thing but voiceacting is always a plus.

Perhaps we have a different view on how to breath, but there is nothing wrong with the way he is breathing, and this sound effect filter is an alike layer that was used in the transformers movie, so I find it awkward you mention the fact that he's having a struggle with appearing to have a dark voice, whereas he doesn't remotely need to have one.

The fact that I am using narration is not to fancy up my movie, but to distract the viewers eyes from the countless leaps of texts they have to read, for you will miss half of the movie, and that's what voice acting is all for.

Imagine watching Iceage 3 without voice acting and having to read all the dialogues they are narrating, takes away an awful lot of character building, and that's why I am using it in this story.

Level 12
Perhaps we have a different view on how to breath, but there is nothing wrong with the way he is breathing, and this sound effect filter is an alike layer that was used in the transformers movie, so I find it awkward you mention the fact that he's having a struggle with appearing to have a dark voice, whereas he doesn't remotely need to have one.

The fact that I am using narration is not to fancy up my movie, but to distract the viewers eyes from the countless leaps of texts they have to read, for you will miss half of the movie, and that's what voice acting is all for.

Imagine watching Iceage 3 without voice acting and having to read all the dialogues they are narrating, takes away an awful lot of character building, and that's why I am using it in this story.

I don't think that the voice-acting itself is bad, just that it sound a little wierd.

ok so this is what i got.
http://epicwar.com/maps/107265/
i did it for the lulz

LoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooL!
Nice, hahahaha, I way laughed in the end: Wanna dance? CM: Ok and then she started patrolling. Hahahahahaha :D
Pal, sorry though, it doesn't follow the contest itself: You were supposed to make somebody narrate a story, this is just a Hive's going-on thing :p
By the way, the Floating Texts vanish too fast to read.

Status
Not open for further replies.