• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

World Editor and Undead Race NOW LIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't really record it, but it shows an on-screen effect of a spinning square and then the message in the image below appears.

View attachment 336823 View attachment 336821

I'd asume it's an auto-save feature, without the interupting "Saving Game..." window you normally save from.

Usually a ckeckpoimnt is an auto-save for when you pass a particular point in the map, therefore 'check point'. But in WC3 I wonder how it is implemented.
An 'auto-save' is a save of a game every XX minutes/periodically

Level 2
It would appear that changing the tinting of destructibles work in-editor just fine, though when you view them in-game they don't retain the tinting colours given. Weirdly enough though, when all tinting fields are set to 0 the object does stay black.

When tinting units/buildings the tint works but, it appears that if you look at the unit/building your game will crash in-game.

Unrelated to the World Editor, but the talking animations of most campaign dreadlords appear unfinished ingame.

A new pathing palette was introduced in the World Editor, but it doesn't appear to do anything yet.

Some neutral unit (campaign) models appear to not have changed significantly in the Reforged World Editor. (Terran Marine, Orcish Marine).

It appears that BlzCreateUnitWithSkin(player owner, integer baseId, real x, real y, real facing, integer modelId would actually be the base function of CreateUnit, with the latter passing either null or the baseId as the parameter for modelId. This would have unintended effects, (which might have already been stated) such as the merging of ability definitions (ability will functionally be the same, but will have their icons based on the modelId's ability list).

BlzSetUnitSkin(unit, integer modelId) appears to transform the unit into the desired unit type, but might not display their model as a consequence.

IIR, BlzSetDestructableSkin appears to have been commented out in the common.j. (Getting the common.j just requires you to save a map in JASS, and browsing the Documents for a Jasshelper folder in Warcraft Beta folder)

In total, I can recall about 8-10 new natives being introduced to the common.j

Level 3
I've found that omnilights in map bug the entire lighting. The map goes extremely dark except around the omnilights. Day time is also extremely dark. This also occurs in the editor and is temporarily fixed by pressing 'L' a few times to turn the lighting on and off.

A few Bugs I have ran across are as follows:

Model Visual Bug:
  • Storm Reaver Apprentice Changes to a Giant Ice Arch [Image Shows what it should look like, this is the default unit]
Model Bug.png
  • Firelord Derp
FirelordDerp.png
  • Cave Cliff Interaction Visual Error
CaveOof.png

UI Bug
  • Using an Ultrawide Screen, there are portions in the Upper Right and Upper Left that are cut off, and end abruptly.
UIBug.png

Custom Ability Bug
  • Custom Ability Names revert to either "Tooltip Missing" or Back to the Heroes normal Hero Abilities
  • Custom Ability Tooltips do the same
  • Custom Ability Icons either revert back to the hero Ability Icon, or become the annoying tooltip missing Face Icon.
Dialog UI Buggy
  • Dialogs, atleast with Orc UI, have buggy tops and bottoms, and I can't unsee it.
DialogIssue.png

Last edited:
Level 4
If I try make a map or continue working on a map now using the Reforged WE instead of Old WE will it be compatible with the final version once it launches or no?

UPDATE: All of my cinematic Transmissions are not appearing. Whenever it goes into cinematic mode where the box with text would normally appear it does not now.

Last edited:
Level 22
Not recommended to work on a beta or unstable version.

It would be somewhat odd for Blizzard to release the editor during the beta specifically so people could start using it and then later break things when going to the live version. I haven't seen any guidance from them on this one way or the other, but I would definitely encourage frequent backups if you are working on maps during the beta period. My expectation would be that it will transition smoothly to live, but there are no guarantees here, so proceed at your own risk.

Level 20
It would be somewhat odd for Blizzard to release the editor during the beta specifically so people could start using it and then later break things when going to the live version. I haven't seen any guidance from them on this one way or the other, but I would definitely encourage frequent backups if you are working on maps during the beta period. My expectation would be that it will transition smoothly to live, but there are no guarantees here, so proceed at your own risk.
The PTR versions of the editor are not exactly the same as what would go to Release and the difference between the two has caused compatibility issues for people who decided to develop on the PTR version anyway (the most common issue being something that was on the PTR did not make it to Release or changed between that version and Release).

Feel free to test stuff as you see fit, but DO NOT plan to make live changes with the PTR builds or you will regret it.

Beta Play Time: 2 hours, crashes 0, graphics and hardware: top of the line.
Function: Cinematic Enable/Disable Occlusion does not appear to be working.
Cooldown clock is too transparent, make it more opaque.
Some units look abnormally large, might just be me, maybe sizing isn't done yet.
Some objects in editor, such as Fire do not fully render; however upon entering the game it appears properly.
At one point, while selecting a terrain tile type (paint) it would instead select the one left of it.
Sometimes Icons become Sammy, the error face (even midgame).

Presumably Simple Requests:
Make channel capable of firing a proper missile.
Make water base color white, then create a new color that returns it to what is presently here and have maps default to that color on creation, this will give us a greater spectrum for colors of water to choose from, like white.
Also cause water tinting to tint the water "wake" model that spawns against cliffsides and edges.
Make a Lava skin for water.

Side notes: Great work guys, this is looking really good - however as I'm sure you see this is a greater undertaking than your end of the year deadline will allow. Please do continue your work after reforged's "release". There is much left to do, and if it takes investor leg pulling to make it actually happen I'm quite okay paying for additional feature development as long as it is reasonably priced and does not prevent non-purchasing players from enjoying my creations in their full capacity.

Last edited:
Level 8
Isn't Hashtable a Multidimensional array?
To be honest, I use them as such: I don't even deploy handles/labels. I simply save all data as integer index of integer index in a hashtable and write down indices for each set of data. It helps to avoid confusion (and same numerical value of different handles) when you work with almost a hundred of hashtables.

Level 9
All new trigger GUI actions I could find:
  • Events
    • Player - Button for ability Animate Dead and order Human Peasant - Repair pressed.
    • Player - Button for build Peasant pressed.
    • Player - Button for train Peasant pressed.
    • Player - Button for Research Iron Forged Swords pressed.
  • Conditions
    • (Load No sound of string from ) Equal to True
    • (Skin ID of (Triggering unit)) Equal to 0
    • (Skin ID of (Last created item)) Equal to 0
  • Actions
    • Cinematic - Set Dialogue Text ID For Sound No sound Dialogue Text ID abc
    • Cinematic - Set Speaker Name Text ID For Sound No sound Speaker Name Text ID abc
    • Game - Set Max Checkpoint Saves to 10
    • Game - Create checkpoint with name Checkpoint.w3z (True checkpoint message)
    • Game - Create campaign checkpoint with name MapSaveName (Hide checkpoint message)
    • Visibility - Show Terrain: False
    • Visibility - Show Sky Box: True
    • Game - Start Recording with FPS: 60
    • Game - End Recording
    • Cinematic - Hide Cinematic Panels True
    • Player - Create Ability Button Effect for Animate Dead and Human Peasant - Repair
    • Player - Create Train Button Effect for Peasant
    • Player - Create Build Button Effect for Peasant
    • Player - Create Research Button Effect for Iron Forged Swords
    • Player - Create Learn Button Effect for Acid Bomb
    • Player - Destroy Button Effect (Last created Button effect)
    • Set VariableSet CommandButtonEffectVariable = (Last created Button effect)
    • Unit - Set Unit Skin of (Triggering unit) to 'Hamg
    • Item - Set Item Skin of (Last created item) to 'tdx2'
    • Cinematic - Create Minimap Icon on Archmage 0000 <gen> of color (255, 255, 255) using units\human\Gyrocopter\Gyrocopter and fog visibility Visibility
    • Cinematic - Create Minimap Icon at (Center of (Playable map area)) of color (255, 255, 255) using units\human\Gyrocopter\Gyrocopter and fog visibility Visibility
    • Cinematic - Create Minimap Icon at (0.00, 0.00) of color (255, 255, 255) using units\human\Gyrocopter\Gyrocopter and fog visibility Black mask
    • Quest - Destroy Minimap Icon for (Last created minimap icon)
    • Quest - Set Minimap Icon Visible for (Last created minimap icon) to True
    • Quest - Set Minimap Icon (Last created minimap icon) self destroy when attached unit is dead to False
    • Set VariableSet MinimapIconVariable = (Last created minimap icon)

Changing skins? Creating buttons on the fly?
Tell me it is coming to classic WE too! Please!

Level 1
I'm going to be drafting a long list of comments for Blizz on my input. I think they got so much right (even though most of what we hear is criticism).

That said, what strikes me immediately is how BAD the water graphics look. Both in game and in editor....in the editor it's almost completely translucent and in game it just looks ugly, dull, and doesn't stand out. I feel like even the older water graphics look better. Shallow water in particular looks completely transparent.

This really sucks for maps that want to emphasize water. :(

Am I alone here?

Yeah but in his perspective he seems like he did not order the reforged yet (like me) and he's asking if lolreported can test it in the classic, not reforged with settings set to classic (it's still technically reforged I guess). I might be wrong here please correct me if I am. I'm currently eye-ing for a new patch in the classic warcraft and see if we can have the new triggers too (hopefully no exclusives).

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
I'm currently eye-ing for a new patch in the classic warcraft and see if we can have the new triggers too (hopefully no exclusives).
1.32 will go live with Reforged or shortly before then. Reforged and classic will use the same client. Just Reforged graphics and campaign will be behind a pay wall/licence.

Level 20
I'm okay with most Undead models, but I think they look a bit too bright in game.
Plus I'm not a fan of the new Blight. It's weird.

EDIT: One big exception - for some reason I'm bothered by the bottom part of Ziggurat model, i.e. how the building connects to the ground.

Last edited:
I'm going to be drafting a long list of comments for Blizz on my input. I think they got so much right (even though most of what we hear is criticism).

That said, what strikes me immediately is how BAD the water graphics look. Both in game and in editor....in the editor it's almost completely translucent and in game it just looks ugly, dull, and doesn't stand out. I feel like even the older water graphics look better. Shallow water in particular looks completely transparent.

This really sucks for maps that want to emphasize water. :(

Am I alone here?

You are not fully alone in your opinion of the water, while I wouldn't say it looks bad, something about it looks wrong. Comparing against googled pictures of ocean water, it isn't that off, guess I'm just not feeling it and that's okay, but, if anyone wanted to make some incredible improvements I would suggest the following ideas. Allow water options for a map, or even a region if you want to "blow this out of the water". Options would be as follows.
Water colors, including "natural" but not discluding white/milky and or other colors you cant currently achieve.
Water opacity %
Opacity per depth %
Wave crispness (basically choppy waters vs smooth waters)
Water wake changes with water coloring or separate but chooseable coloring for some reason.
Lava skin for water.

Note: I am not a water expert, I am not a physics expert my requests may be mediocre or too hard to achieve, but those are my opnions, do with them what you will. As always, work is appreciated whether it lives up to my standards or not I recognize what you do. Thank you.

Level 7
In my map I have buildings which spawn units via trigger at the Point of the building. If you have an uncompleted building surrounded by others and a spawn occurs, for the rest of the game you will be unable to complete that building. Kind of specific but does indicate there are some issues with pathing that did not occur in classic wc3.

Here's a short 40 second video that shows the problem, has something to do with the unit being spawned on top of the building most likely. Once the surrounding buildings have been destroyed it can be completed.

Warcraft III Beta 2019-11-08 13-01-43 - Streamable

Level 4
Models placed in water are not visible:

upload_2019-11-8_14-17-30.png

You could place any model you want, it's always invisible in the water.

Even the surface tool is invisible in the water:

upload_2019-11-8_14-19-26.png

Edit: Ingame the models are visible.

Last edited:
Level 7
I have pre-ordered but still can't play the beta, anyone else has this issue?
Not everyone who preordered has access yet, they are doing it in waves. But make sure you check in the battle.net app under 'region/account' when you click on warcraft 3, and see if it lets you switch to the reforged beta.

I was previously using the four parts method to create a loading screen. Now only the bottom left part is showing ingame. Anyone know the new format to making loading screen?

Level 5
Here is a question I have, not sure if anybody answered it already... since now when you add a variable in GUI it's specified that it's a global variable will they make it so you can add local variables with GUI as well?

Level 7
Not everyone who preordered has access yet, they are doing it in waves. But make sure you check in the battle.net app under 'region/account' when you click on warcraft 3, and see if it lets you switch to the reforged beta.

I was previously using the four parts method to create a loading screen. Now only the bottom left part is showing ingame. Anyone know the new format to making loading screen?
Ohhh, it works! Thanks man! :D

There is something strange about the terrain. The style of the terrain is perfect on its own, the detailed models are perfect on their own, but.. it's like they are from 2 different worlds, they don't blend. It's like DOTA2+Starcraft II together on the screen at the same time
I agree on this, thought it looked kinda weird together

Status
Not open for further replies.