1. Head to the 33rd Modeling Contest Poll and drink to your heart's desire.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Choose your means of doom in the 17th Mini Mapping Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. A slave to two rhythms, the 22nd Terraining Contest is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The heavens smile on the old faithful. The 16th Techtree Contest has begun.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The die is cast - the 6th Melee Mapping Contest results have been announced. Onward to the Hive Cup!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The glory of the 20th Icon Contest is yours for the taking!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

World Editor and Undead Race NOW LIVE

Discussion in 'Latest Updates and News' started by Archian, Nov 5, 2019.

1. lolreported

lolreported

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Can we expect a full change log for both the game and the world editor once the game is released? The change logs for the World Editor has been severely lacking recent patches, but full of new features that the community have to dig up.

Please tell me syntax highlighting will be supported by the editor later on, it's really awkward having to rely on other tools for scripting.

I had no problem loading one of my maps in the editor, but I was unable to run it. It appears an error message is displayed out of bounds when the game launches as the "button-click" sound plays when pressing enter.

Edit: I managed to get my map to load after disabling Bribes Damage Engine (Damage Engine 5.4.2.3) - it's something in that script that causes an error with Reforged.

My terrain had some weird glitched textures near cliffs, see images below.
    TerrainBug1.PNG TerrainBug2.PNG TerrainBug3.PNG TerrainBug4.PNG

Reworking the terrain caused new textures to stretch and saving and reloading the map reverted all changes back to the first picture; not sure how it looks in-game as the map won't run.

Have anyone managed to extract common.j and looked up any new natives?

Other issues found:

• The doodad Blocks Ruined (Ashenvale) model path in World Editor is set to "Objects\InventoryItems\TreasureChest\treasurechest.mdl", but is displayed correctly in-game.
    • Camera objects via Camera Palette doesn't show up in editor.
    • Using "expansion only" features won't flag the map properly. I based a map of Outland tileset and "Expansion Required" was set to "No". Might be intended as of Reforged.
    • The options for Custom Sound Environment in "Map Properties" start as "WESTRING_...".
    • Trigger actions:
      • Game - Create checkpoint with name Checkpoint.w3z (True checkpoint message)
      • Game - Create campaign checkpoint with name MapSaveName (Hide checkpoint message)
      are both using the same label "Game - Create Save Checkpoint" in the actions window.
    • Using
      causes a syntax error:
    syntaxerror.jpg
    • Something is broken with the UI natives, the first image is Reforged and the second image is how it's supposed to look:
    WC3ScrnShot_110619_194709_001.png WC3ScrnShot_110619_194836_01.png
    • Using the "-0.1" selection circle trick to hide health bars of units doesn't hide the new Hero level box.
    • Regions don't become visible/hidden when chaning editor palettes. You have to manually hide/show them from "View -> Regions" (Ctrl + R).
    • Most animations played in editor are broken. Plays the first few frames and then resets immediately.
    • Calling the following native as
      Custom script:   call SetDayNightModels("","")
      no longer causes the game to become pitch black out of light sources (personally I think the Reforged version looks better now, but I know some maps that rely on the darkness).
    • The World Tree model (Doodads\Ashenvale\Structures\Worldtree\Worldtree) isn't updated in editor or in-game.
    • Doom Guard still uses old non-reforged icon in editor (ReplaceableTextures\CommandButtons\BTNDoomGuard.blp).
    • Model height varies greatly between Reforged and non-Reforged models (or the variations are in the wrong order); if you've manipulated doodad height in the editor it will not look the same between versions.
    • Certain special effects play their sounds multiple time after they're created.
    • EDIT 2019-11-09:
    • Selecting a unit in-game that's owned by a non-assigned player in "Scenario Properties -> Players" causes the game to crash.
    • The doodad "Viny Plant" (Sunken Ruins) is not animated properly in-game. Only plays the first few frames and then resets.
    • The "Owlkin" Unit Sound Set is bugged. When selecting a unit with this sound set it wrongly screams "Kill!" only and the death sound is also wrong.
    • Models under the water doesn't render in the World Editor, but they do in-game.
    • Using the trigger action "Cinematic - Fade in over 0.00 seconds using texture Black Mask and color (100.00%, 100.00%, 100.00%) with 0.00% transparency" clearly has transparency in-game even if it's set to 0.00%.
    • The Multiboard doesn't retain the same size between classic and Reforged.
    • The cinematic doodads "Trap Fire/Trap Frost/Trap Side Fire/Trap Side Frost" causes very rapid lightning effects that causes heavy strain on the eyes.

New features/improvements found:

• Trigger Editor performance and Writing Triggers at map save is greatly improved.
    • A new pathing palette (currently not functional). Will probably allow us to paint pathing terrain instead of using pathing blockers, nice.
    • Dialogue Editor (F11) (currently not functional?). Will probably allow for a more immersive cinematics.
    • You can change the skin of any unit via the Unit Properties windows (double-clicking on a unit you've placed in the editor). You can replace the entire model.
    • You're able to enable/disable a new checkmark in Map Properties, "Use accurate probability for calculations". Not sure what this is.
    • You're able to set "Supported Modes" in Map Properties. You can choose from "SD", "SD and HD" and "HD". This will probably be used to let a map maker select his/her playerbase.
    • Foliage generated by terrain can be hidden via "View -> Foliage" (Ctrl + F).
    • New Import Manager (now called Asset Manager) with new features.
    • All new trigger GUI actions I could find:
    • Events
      • Player - Button for ability Animate Dead and order Human Peasant - Repair pressed.
      • Player - Button for build Peasant pressed.
      • Player - Button for train Peasant pressed.
      • Player - Button for Research Iron Forged Swords pressed.
    • Conditions
      • (Load No sound of string from ) Equal to True
      • (Skin ID of (Triggering unit)) Equal to 0
      • (Skin ID of (Last created item)) Equal to 0
    • Actions
      • Cinematic - Set Dialogue Text ID For Sound No sound Dialogue Text ID abc
      • Cinematic - Set Speaker Name Text ID For Sound No sound Speaker Name Text ID abc
      • Game - Set Max Checkpoint Saves to 10
      • Game - Create campaign checkpoint with name MapSaveName (Hide checkpoint message)
      • Visibility - Show Terrain: False
      • Visibility - Show Sky Box: True
      • Game - Start Recording with FPS: 60
      • Game - End Recording
      • Cinematic - Hide Cinematic Panels True
      • Player - Create Ability Button Effect for Animate Dead and Human Peasant - Repair
      • Player - Create Train Button Effect for Peasant
      • Player - Create Build Button Effect for Peasant
      • Player - Create Research Button Effect for Iron Forged Swords
      • Player - Create Learn Button Effect for Acid Bomb
      • Player - Destroy Button Effect (Last created Button effect)
      • Set VariableSet CommandButtonEffectVariable = (Last created Button effect)
      • Unit - Set Unit Skin of (Triggering unit) to 'Hamg
      • Item - Set Item Skin of (Last created item) to 'tdx2'
      • Cinematic - Create Minimap Icon on Archmage 0000 <gen> of color (255, 255, 255) using units\human\Gyrocopter\Gyrocopter and fog visibility Visibility
      • Cinematic - Create Minimap Icon at (Center of (Playable map area)) of color (255, 255, 255) using units\human\Gyrocopter\Gyrocopter and fog visibility Visibility
      • Cinematic - Create Minimap Icon at (0.00, 0.00) of color (255, 255, 255) using units\human\Gyrocopter\Gyrocopter and fog visibility Black mask
      • Quest - Destroy Minimap Icon for (Last created minimap icon)
      • Quest - Set Minimap Icon Visible for (Last created minimap icon) to True
      • Quest - Set Minimap Icon (Last created minimap icon) self destroy when attached unit is dead to False
      • Set VariableSet MinimapIconVariable = (Last created minimap icon)

Suggestions

• Please consider implementing syntax highlight to the trigger editor for (v)JASS and/or LUA.
    • Enable the use of custom script for Events and Conditions.
    • Right-click an action in the trigger editor and be able to convert that action into custom script with corresponding function; then you don’t have to convert an entire trigger to check what function lies begind a GUI action.
    • Add functionality to change the hotkeys of abilities in-game via triggering.
    • Create folders in the Object Editor for Units/Items, etc.
    • Hide the health-/mana/level bars of a specific unit via triggering.
    • An efficient way of storing local player data instead of via .txt files.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  2. GIMLI_2

GIMLI_2

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Code (vJASS):
    call BlzSetItemIconPath(item i, string path)

this function sets item description and not the icon

3. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    You can save and load maps as folders since 1.30 or 1.31.

4. Razorclaw_X

Razorclaw_X

Resources:
    Ported Models:
    Resources:
    Well here's something interesting. You can change your unit's appearance to look like something else entirely.

Attached Files:

5. Strydhaizer

Strydhaizer

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Just curious, is "calculate shadows" still take alot of time in the updated Editor? I mean 8000 doodads take an hour or two in the classic one, I will be impressed if it is minimized/optimized in the new one considering this has been requested by alot of users for years.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
  6. wc3neverdies

wc3neverdies

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Well at this point is suggest to make a in app browser to Hive Resource section, so when i download an asset i can choose to directly imported in the editor

7. lolreported

lolreported

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    I filled a 64x64 map with ~4500 doodads and it took around 20 seconds to generate; but shadows are currently disabled in the World Editor, so hard to say if it even works or not.

8. Strydhaizer

Strydhaizer

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Oh I see, I also did notice that the shadows are missing in the screenshots I've seen. I wish I'll see/get an update about this in the official release version of WE since I don't have access in the new WE yet.

Thank you.

9. Ogre_Bob

Ogre_Bob

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I'd like to report something that basically breaks my map -

Before the last patch, when a (non-human) unit with an active expiration timer began constructing a building, that unit's expiration timer would pause until construction finished. This is a mechanic that my map relies upon.
    Unfortunately, this mechanic no longer works. A unit's expiration timer now continues to decay while constructing a building, which means the unit can expire during construction, killing the building.

This normally wouldn't be a problem, I would just fix it with triggers. Unfortunately, there is no way that I can see to reference the unit doing the construction in triggers. There is "Constructing Structure" and "Constructed Structure," but no "Constructing Unit." Also, Triggering Unit does not work.

I would like to request that either the old behavior be restored, or add the ability to reference the constructing unit in the trigger editor. Otherwise my map is basically broken :(

10. stan0033

stan0033

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Well, ai expected to see big changes to the we design. Again blizzard disappoints me. At least there are new functions

11. The Panda

The Panda

Icon Reviewer

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I believe it would be a lot easier because when uploading a simple icon you have to go into import editor and import it and then you have to change the file name to something else in order for your icon to not come out a green box while in game.. So I think it would be beneficial for everyone to have a browser for all mods to have a simple install into every map. Not sure how that would work but I think that would be a nice touch overall.

12. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Back in the old days, people left the PC overnight.

13. BiweeklyAaron

BiweeklyAaron

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Icecrown Glacier Tileset --> Runed Bricks Tile no longer has any runes!

14. wc3neverdies

wc3neverdies

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    So i figured out one thing that may helps you.
    upload_2019-11-6_20-30-32.png

If you get this screen after you test the map there is an error in your map that is probably created by some stuff. This is basically the empty error message we got in classic, but this time the error window is not shown, a part from the bot left corner.
    I was able to make a map work after some time. I exported all Object Editor data and triggers data.
    Created a new map.
    Imported all object editor, imported all triggers.
    Then i made some adjustments to the code, deleted some triggers and it finally loaded.

EDIT: This may seem obvious but i didn't realized this becasue when i checked the syntax and saved the map no errors were shown, so i thought the map was fine.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
  15. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    I do not have the beta.
    You may need to post your technical specifications.

There are known issues with some of the graphic settings causing crashes. Try turning everything to low (but not classic graphics) to see if that makes WC3 with Reforged graphics more stable.

16. Mekket

Mekket

Resources:
    Resources:
    I'd really like for "Art - Animation - Cast Backswing" and "Art - Animation - Castpoint" in Object Data to be defined on each ABILITY rather than on the UNIT.
    Would save a lot of uncomfortable triggering of animations with custom hero models and abilities.

17. stan0033

stan0033

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    What exactly is checkpoint in Wc3 ?

18. wc3neverdies

wc3neverdies

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    The editor crashes if you delete a folder with multiple variables, you click okay to some of them and then abort, and press ctrl+z

19. lolreported

lolreported

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    I can't really record it, but it shows an on-screen effect of a spinning square and then the message in the image below appears.

WC3ScrnShot_110619_214724_001.png WC3ScrnShot_110619_214353_001.png

I'd asume it's an auto-save feature, without the interupting "Saving Game..." window you normally save from.

20. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources: