• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

World Editor and Undead Race NOW LIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
Not sure if mentioned, but found some interesting things while looking at the "Configure Controls..."-window in the World Editor.

It appears we might be able to mess with shaders and also create our own sound sets in the future.

ConfWindow.PNG

Level 9
WC3 never dies! Go tell them :cgrin:
What is this with casc anyway? Why did not they wanted to stay on mpq or whatever as for recently? What are advantages of this new system?

All new blizzard game are in casc, so to ba added in the battle.net launcher it needs to be a casc archive. Also @DrSuperGood said that the casc arcihve has more advantages, like to deliver patches, the way the files are update and some other things.

Level 9
Another bug i found, but i need to test in in classic as well. It appears that gargoyles push enemies(flyng units) away when attacking with melee. It's like that thing where a lot of air units can be in one place at the same time while moving and the they split and are in formation.

Level 35
All new blizzard game are in casc, so to ba added in the battle.net launcher it needs to be a casc archive. Also @DrSuperGood said that the casc arcihve has more advantages, like to deliver patches, the way the files are update and some other things.

You did not call him properly. I will do it properly @Dr Super Good
Now, he is summoned. :cgrin:

Level 6
From just opening up the Editor I can already see a few problems. The water is almost invisible. This is not the case if you rotate the camera 180 degrees for some reason? Then it looks normal.
YIMsSkE.png

If you make deep water and then raise it by "Apply Cliff: Increase One" you can put boats and units on the same cliff?
zU3JCmc.png

Using the "Apply Height: Raise/Lower/Plateau/Noise/Smooth" tool does not show under shallow or deep water.

I would like for the "Apply Cliff: Ramp" tool to not show black endless holes on each side of the cliff if you don't have the type of cliff that the editor thinks is right. (This is in the current editor aswell and has always been there)

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
What is this with casc anyway? Why did not they wanted to stay on mpq or whatever as for recently? What are advantages of this new system?
MPQ was not designed with modern needs in mind. MPQ was intended that most of the game data remain immutable and arrive in a single MPQ file distributed by CD or DVD, and for this purpose it worked well.

However now delivery is often solely by internet, requiring that games be playable without all data being downloaded and with regular and large updates. MPQ does this very badly, requiring hacky work arounds. As the needs changed so did the implementation resulting in products using different versions of MPQ and different delivery systems. CASC solves this by unifying the content delivery between all products to using a cloud file system which is backed by a CDN and has a local cache for game installs. This way the same server software and publishing tools can back all games with files being delivered on demand and managed in an efficient way. Where as MPQ files have to be identical between all clients, CASC local storage does not as all that matters is that the contained files are correct and not how they are stored.

There are also performance benefits. MPQ was designed in the days where RAM was small. This meant processing files with minimal memory usage was a priority over I/O performance. For example MPQs fragmented files into short blocks which could easily be used to create a buffered data stream using only 2 block sized buffers at any given time. However this came at the cost of compression efficiency and the compressed blocks were not aligned or structured to be read efficiently. CASC is based around memory mapped I/O, a very efficient approach to I/O which can map entire regions of files into virtual memory allowing file data to be accessed similar to very old ROM based game consoles. CASC also stores files usually in a single piece, allowing much more efficient compression to occur potentially at the cost of needing the entire file to be decompressed into memory before being read. If the file is not available in local storage it can be dynamically pulled down from the CDN as well, allowing good play as it downloads experiences as long as the user's internet connection is fast enough.

At least it can be used to illuminate the room while working late at night: all this white background in WE trigger menu helps me to cut on the electricity cost:p I don't use any other light sources at this point.
The dark theme is designed for when you work at night to be easy on your eyes. Also, it looks badass.
For maximum safety set your PC to night mode and buy PC glasses.

Level 35
@wc3neverdies I told you if you summon him properly, that he will discover you very well knowledge which rare people know!
He is like Guldan or Drakthul with all of this knowledge about systems, files, game and such.

@Dr Super Good thank you for detailed stuff +rep.
But how do you like Reforged so far? Professional like you perhaps is more interested in ,,what is behind mask" about codes, stability and such rather than cosmetic changes

Level 10
WC3 never dies! Go tell them :cgrin:

From Casc Storages - Main page:

In 2014, Blizzard Entertainment changed data format in their games from MPQ to CASC (Content Addressable Storage Container). Every Blizzard game today (2019) has its own storage, which can be found in a subdirectory of the game (Data, SC2Data). Compared to the old MPQ archives, files in a CASC storage are not standalone; they are all needed to keep the storage in shape. It is no longer possible to copy a single file out and treat it as single archive. CASC storages are also closely tight up with the remote server, called Content Delivery Network - the CDN. Every time when a missing or corrupt file is detected, the game client (or game agent) automatically downloads the data from the server. The client also checks whether the server variant of the game data contains a new version.

Level 20
I'm really surprised they've added an unique model to Snarlmane or Mossy Golems (check video below) - I wonder, does it mean that other special/named units will get similar treatment? It looks like it. And that's really awesome, because that's a TON of unique models that we'll be able to use :)

P.S. Also, this is a nice showcase of some models added in the most recent patch:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
About the ships (video):
  • The Orc Frigate seems to have a decay animation bug. Same with the Undead Frigate. The remains disappear suddenly.
  • The Orc Juggernaut looks to metallic as if more sci-fi-steampunk than medieval.
  • Not sure about some portraits like the one on the Undead Frigate. They need to be distinguishable.
About the undead spells (video):
  • The original Abomination reaches the corpse with its lower jaw while the Reforged's mouth is high above the corpse.
  • The new web doesn't stand properly on all of the target's body but mostly on the higher part of the model.
  • The Crypt Fiend's attack projectile isn't as visible as in the original.
  • Generally, stuff seems bleached or discoloured.
  • Possession needs work. It doesn't look nice or representative.
  • OK, Cripple looks totally different.
  • The original Destroyer morph is better. The new one's pedestal breaks too fast. Looks cheap.
  • Destroyer's weapon gems aren't team coloured anymore.
  • Destroyer's Devour Magic now looks like Abolish Magic's buff...
  • Not sure if the Destroyer has a non-Orb of Annihilation projectile anymore.
  • Apparently Frozen Breath FX on buildings isn't finished.
  • What? So they changed gender of the Death Knight but kept the hero names and renamed Lord to Lady, Baron to Baroness and stuff? Creative...
  • Death Coil needs a darker trail.
  • Death Pact is different and it makes no sense for the FX on the DK to look like undead hero dissipate FX. It's taking a soul not losing or releasing it.
  • Reanimated unit obviously need a better look than a RGB change to red.
  • Frost Nova is possibly incomplete.
  • Dark Ritual FX too transparent.
  • Death and Decay FX too soft, flowery.
  • Carrion Swarm looks worse and it's not properly scaled. The width is too small.
  • Sleep is 99% the same thing.
  • Inferno is obviously incomplete.
  • The Infernal seems hunchbacked and why does it have its legs bent like Eredar?
  • Locust Swarm seems work in progress.
  • Black Arrow looks too similar to the Destroyer's (Orb of Annihilation?) projectile both in colour and shape.
  • Skeletons seems to come out from the ground nearby the Black Arrowed target instead of from the target's body/position.
  • Charm, now looks too usual. The original FX is spectacular.
As for the video from the post above
P.S. Also, this is a nice showcase of some models added in the most recent patch:
  • Zombies have one attack animation? I understand they made it look spasmodic but just one like that looks weird.
  • The Blood Wizard's attack animation has fire included at the tip of the staff but the projectile is frozen. I'm saying, that because the FX is so, there are little options for projectile choices.
  • Thrall on foot doesn't seem to have attack animations.
  • The Runner needs a knife to attack, in the model's other hand. Attacking with the scroll is silly.
  • Emissaries don't have attack animations.
EDIT:
About the undead (video):
  • There's already an obsessive use of shoulder pads but them on Acolytes is just superfluous and realistically unnecessary as they are not warriors.
  • Shades don't have team coloured eyes anymore and they look too happy, not menacing as the original. Also, they don't have the genie type part of their body anymore but only the smoke. Right now it looks as their body was cut and fused to some steam cloud. Their death animation is not as neat as the original either (referring to the soul cloud raising part).
  • Why do Ghouls have their tongue out as if they're zombies or suffer from a stroke?
  • Abominations don't seem to have all their attack animations.
  • The Meat Wagon's projectile is bizarre. It does not represent body parts at all. It's some sort of spiritual or magical bogus. Also, it doesn't look like they're burning when damaged but rather get a sort of disease cloud FX.
  • Gargoyle's death animation needs work. It doesn't seem to have any blood spill anymore.
  • The Necromancer's staff bat wings are so big you can't see the model properly, especially the face.
  • Obsidian Statues also don't have team coloured staff gems.
  • OK, Destroyers have their non-Orb of Annihilation projectile.
  • Lots of death animations don't have any blood FX anymore for some reason.
  • Two Dreadlords fighting don't seem to be touching one another :D When they die they don't turn into bats. That is iconic.
  • Crypt Lord's attack animations need work.
  • Heroes don't dissipate the same or similarly. In the original game they turn white transparent like becoming spirits. In Reforged they only become transparent and fade quickly to nonexistence.
  • Carrion Beetles don't have a decay animation in that they just become transparent until not being seen anymore.
  • Spirit Towers have no more spirit circling FX around their gems. Also, their projectile looks more like foam than a soul.
  • Seems the Spirit and Nerubian Towers crystals need a bit more tweaking to look more like they should. The portrait for the Nerubian Tower seems to have a broken texture.
  • Not sure why the Boneyard eggs are now coloured instead of white. Actually, why should there even be eggs? It's not like they have live dragons, breed them, kill them and reanimate them. I guess, those are supposed to be dragon hearts?
  • Sylvanas should have the upper part of the body ghastly too. Now, it's like in WoW, half human and half genie.
  • Sapphiron doesn't have a death animation it seems.
  • Why are the dreadlords so pale now? For instance Balnazzar had some sort of black armour on. Now most of the dreadlords are strippers like Sylvanas. Mal'Ganis seems to be the only one with a normal code of conduct also considering safety albeit not helping the dreadlord in the end. OK, Tichondrius is a dreadlord of culture too, except for the belly. Dreadlord wings are blackened towards their lower parts in the original and some dreadlords have some sort of tattoos/markings on their wings. In Reforged, none of these things.

Last edited:
Level 3
unknown (2).png

1) Tooltip Name of Buff is not unlimited, still
2) Tooltip Description of Buff is bugged still, commas inside the description consumes the further description

Screenshot_8.png

(There was supposed to be the last line with word Cooldown, but as you see it was just "consumed" by description UI
3) Abilities tooltips still sometimes consume the last row (line), especially it have a different behaviour on different text styles (aka wc3 language client versions)

4) SetUnit Boolean/Integer and etc things is non working. Tried to hide triggering hero icon interface via trigger and no effect

Level 20
Orc spell effects side by side:

I think the colors they're using in Reforged are too washed out - I mean, sure, the effects themselves look pretty, but due to much more tame color palette they will definetely stand out less in an actual game. The same can also be said about units. I think they should go back and use more distinct and saturated colors.

On a more positive note, I've been watching some more gameplay videos and I think they've fixed most animation transition issues that bothered me previously.

Honestly, I doubt when released that it will have any campaign.
Wait, you doubt that when Reforged (i.e. the full game) comes out, they won't have the campaigns ready?

Come on, they definetely will. Not only was it confirmed in their Blizzcon interviews that all W3 + TFT campaigns are going to be there at launch, but also - just think: campaigns are a MAJOR feature for a lot of people, delaying them until some time after launch would be a PR disaster. No way they are doing that.

---

As for whether they will include campaigns in the beta - I don't think so, because they have to keep something as a surprise for the full release :)

Last edited:
Level 13
As for whether they will include campaigns in the beta - I don't think so, because they have to keep something as a surprise for the full release :)
Using WoW analogy here. Don't know if it's good analogy, cause it's not the same team, but. They don't release an expansion/patch until pretty much all the contents are on the beta/ptr(8.2.5 being the sole exception, most likely to avoid public lashing). And campaigns are a pretty big deal. So I'm quite surprised Campaign release is not on the Beta release schedule.

Level 20
Using WoW analogy here. Don't know if it's good analogy, cause it's not the same team, but. They don't release an expansion/patch until pretty much all the contents are on the beta/ptr
WoW is a rather bad analogy, because it's a completely different genre - a better one would be Starcraft II, because it's their last released RTS, and if my memory serves me right, none of the SCII games had any campaign content available for player testing before the full release.

Level 35
Wait, you doubt that when Reforged (i.e. the full game) comes out, they won't have the campaigns ready?
No full released, I though that there may be another test build or something like that since there is one month and half until end of year for final game to come.

But even so I have no sympathy for Blizzard especially after lately what they have done.

Not only was it confirmed in their Blizzcon interviews that all W3 + TFT campaigns are going to be there at launch
Oh they confirmed! I can now sleep much better since they confirmed. (as they confirmed, wrote and advertised many other things (for more than half of year) which they later confirmed that are not going to happen annoying hundreds of people worldwide)

just think: campaigns are a MAJOR feature for a lot of people
I just think, and remember that there were many major features which they broke. Dont forget that famous 4+ hours of videos/cnematics something like that which attracted some people especially and they pre purchased reforged for, which later turned not going to happen, and many people cancelled purchase.

delaying them until some time after launch would be a PR disaster
Really PR diseastrer? Like they care for it. This year they removed ROC annoying hundreds more people worldwide whose did not play TFT online. For stupid reason (which they did not confirm of course), that ROC players are not going to buy reforged, and they do not need old game any more, therefore those are not their customers. But they forgot one thing, that even they do not like reforged now, many of them may like it in months after release and be potential customers. Now they will be even more annoyed at Blizzard for that, and wont even give chance to reforged in turn. What is worse, many of them are going constantly to lead rebellion and bashing against Blizzard, so forcing changes just made situation worse. PR success perhaps.
Oh, lets not forget last patch with more balance/stuff change/new items, abilities which broke some things and people massively complain. People even here tell me about those when I talk to them.
Do not take me wrong. I personally do not care about it, I am fine with Reforged now because I did not expect anything from Blizzard. All I want is old WC3 with updated graphic. Perhaps I will get. Nothing more. So I am not in question. But many people are and Blizzard's policies as corporation, which I have no trust in them, especially after latest events. When I see game, I can clearly say something. For now, I do not believe them.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Orc spell effects side by side:

• Same as with the web, Ensnare net doesn't stand properly on the target; it's more on the head than the whole body.
  • The Berserk FX looks much nicer on the metallic parts of the spears than around the fists. (TfT vs Reforged). Also no more team coloured mouth paint?
  • Envenomed Spears FX is more attached to the target's head than body.
  • Currently no FX for Unstable Concoction.
  • The Statis Trap FX is not on the ground at the bottom of the totem than originally between the trap's horns. Currently it looks weird that way. The explosion FX is not too visible.
  • The Healing Ward has no animated runes, none at all and no healing FX. The regeneration FX on units is etiolated.
  • Purge's first part of the FX animation looks too watery. Lightning Shield as well and it doesn't come from the sky anymore.
  • Disenchant is too transparent.
  • Taurens should have a proper revival animation (all units actually :D). They just appear out of nowhere while the corpse suddenly disappears.
  • Hopefully, Spirit Walker Ethereal form doesn't look that ugly like in that test video.
  • Wind Walk transparency is towards opaque.
  • Illusions should look neat not like in the original an RGB blue colour of the Mirror Image caster.
  • Currently no Bladestorm whirlwind FX.
  • The nicer aspect of the older Chain Lightning is that it faded instead of suddenly dissipating.
  • The new reveal or Far Sight FX is nice but it lasts not as much and that is important for melee.
  • Shadow Wolves don't look invisible when invisible.
  • Well, Earthquake could have been much more like what it's supposed to be. Now, it's pretty much a loyal remake. But no, the Volcano business is horrible in Reforged.
  • Reincarnation doesn't have the beam from the sky.
  • It's weird for Healing Wave to create FX of light coming from or going towards the sky (from the target) because the light comes from the Shadow Hunter and it is directly channeled to the first target.
Also: Warcraft III Reforged Models - Revenants - Death, Frost, Ice, Lightning, Seas, Tides, Waves

Level 20
Oh they confirmed! I can now sleep much better since they confirmed. (as they confirmed, wrote and advertised many other things (for more than half of year) which they later confirmed that are not going to happen annoying hundreds of people worldwide)
So what - you think they've lied, is that it?

You realize that changes happen during the development of every game, right? And that a year is actually a pretty long time in video game development? It's totally possible that at the time of the original announcement their plans were exactly how they've described them and at some point they have simply changed. It's a much more feasible explanation, unless you subscribe to the conspiracy that Blizzard pulled an Anthem and knowingly announced a bunch of fake BS - in that case, we probably should agree to disagree, because we won't come to any sort of consensus in that matter as it is one based on personal beliefs, not rational arguments.

One thing that I think we can agree on, however, is that it really sucks that they've started accepting money for their game before they were 100% sure that their marketed features were going to be completed. That's bad and it shouldn't have happened. I can accept announcing something and then revealing that plans have changed, but if you're going to take that sweet preorder cash, you'd better be damn sure that what you're luring people in with is going to be there.

Really PR diseastrer? Like they care for it.
Believe it or not - they might suck at it sometimes (*cough*Diablo Immortal *cough*), but they really do care about PR, just like every other corporation in the world. Just a quick reminder, do not confuse PR with players' happines, because those are two vastly different things.

And yes, really - cutting campaigns would be a PR disaster, the type that gets covered by most media outlets. I can already see the headlines: "Warcraft 3 Reforged to launch without its single player content!". That would be very bad, especially after Immortal, February firings and Hong Kong have already damaged Blizzard's image. They obviously don't want that, so the campaigns will be there - that's not to say they won't be buggy as f...ck, which is definetely a possibility.

Oh, lets not forget last patch with more balance/stuff change/new items, abilities which broke some things and people massively complain. People even here tell me about those when I talk to them.
Again - I agree that cutting RoC was a bad move an that their patches are buggy and it sucks, but it's very insignificant for the broader audience. Like, come on, do you really think that an average Joe will care that some WE triggers are broken or that he can't play the RoC multiplayer? :) I assure you that he won't - but if he's interested in Reforged, he might totally care about the campaigns being cut.

It's all a matter of scale. The things you mentioned are fairly neutral PR-wise - sure, some people were unhappy, but there's not enough of them to actually matter. From Blizzard's perspective, these are acceptable losses. But... campaigns... Come on - just look at the Blizzcon announcements. One of them was that there will be no ladder at release. Have you genuinely seen anyone outside of dedicated W3 sites talk about this? I didn't. What I did see was a lot of people being very disappointed by the great cutscene removal of 2019. This was the big controversy, this was what got some people to cancel preorders.

And you know why? Because there's likely a lot of people who will pick up Reforged primarily to play through the refreshed campaigns. Heck, it can even be argued that campaigns are Reforged's most important feature. There's no way Blizzard is dumb enough to cut them.

Last edited:
Level 13
You realize that changes happen during the development of every game, right? And that a year is actually a pretty long time in video game development? It's totally possible that at the time of the original announcement their plans were exactly how they've described them and at some point they have simply changed. It's a much more feasible explanation, unless you subscribe to the conspiracy that Blizzard pulled an Anthem and knowingly announced a bunch of fake BS - in that case, we probably should agree to disagree, because we won't come to any sort of consensus in that matter as it is one based on personal beliefs, not rational arguments.
What I think is that Blizzard's team predicted, few months after Blizzcon 2018, that the game won't sell well, at least not as well as they initially planed/hoped, so they're cutting content and costs. But people who pre-ordered have every right to ask for refund. Game not selling well is frankly not their problem, and they deserve to get the product they paid for. They've been scammed, simply put.

Last edited:
Level 2
A few things i think should be implemented:
Projectile Control and detection.
Damage System
Spell Amplification in %
More control on the classic spells like the damage, buff effects, for example if i want an ability to deal damage based on Int i would just need to change in the object editor. As for the buff part i meant something like if i put a slow buff on storm hammer it wouldnt stun, just damage and slow.

Level 20
But people who pre-ordered have every right to ask for refund. Game not selling well is frankly not their problem, and they deserve to get the product they paid for. They've been scammed, simply put.
And I totally agree.

Anyway, human spell animations side by side:

Once again - toned down and less distinct colors. Plus (gonna make @deepstrasz proud with this one):

1) Portraits & animations:

- I don't really like Footman's portrait - it looks kinda bright and generally low quality, some others (e.g. Archmage, Sorceress) aren't too great either;
- Footman is noticeably moon-walking when Defend is active;
- Speech animations on portraits are barely visible compared to Classic, mostly because they involve only lip movement without other head/body movements like in Clasic;
- I'm still slightly bothered by Blood Mage's Flamestrike animation - after watching in slow motion, his right hand moves back to his body properly when the cast finishes, but it's so subtle that if you watch at full speed it might seem like the animation is cut;
- Also, what is it with the Blood Mage falling on his knees when using Banish, Drain Mana or Phoenix? It looks weird;

2) Spell effects:

- Flare's effect in the sky starts the moment the missile is fired (i.e. where does it even come from if the missile didn't even manage to make it to the air), also the falling missile appears kinda randomly from the sky - probably won't be too noticeable in-game, but it's still messy;
- Heal effect is a little too big (which is also visible in a regular game view);
- Invisibility doesn't really make the entire unit transparent (especially noticeable on the Footman's butt);
- Spell Steal's animation on the 2nd target unit (the one that receives the transfered buff) is too long;
- Aerial Shackles target effect is clearly bugged/unfinished;
- Resurrection effect is quite excessive and the non-transparent angel feels strange;
- Thunder Bolt projectile noticeably comes from the off-hand weapon;
- Avatar's transformation effect is clearly bugged/unfinished (it looks red);
- Banish's target effect is a bit excessive;
- Drain Mana's caster effect is too high (because the Blood Mage falls on his knees);
- Phoenix could really use some fiery SFX around its body;

My favourite has to be the new Cloud animation, it looks really dope. Everything else, even though there are some differences, seems mostly fine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.