• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft III Reforged - Community Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3

I agree with this but once you start a new map it should give you an option or button to click if you want ur map protected or not .. it is nice to have some maps that arnt protected for people who have no idea how to do triggers so they can look at them and learn how they are made. But, it should be an easier route to protect something instead of corrupting the file..

Perhaps, a better solution would be to allow people open maps in world editor and take a look but not edit them.

Reforged's editor comes with a model editor, the one they used to create these models (it's what they said).
Are you sure about this? I remember them saying something about releasing the modelling tools used to the public (as in: a 3ds max plugin, like they did with SC2), not that it's an actual 3D modelling software. That would be bonkers. No company would actually code their own 3d modelling tool if they can just make a Max plugin, not even blizzard.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Are you sure about this? I remember them saying something about releasing the modelling tools used to the public (as in: a 3ds max plugin, like they did with SC2), not that it's an actual 3D modelling software. That would be bonkers. No company would actually code their own 3d modelling tool if they can just make a Max plugin, not even blizzard.
Map makers will get more options and tools for creating custom maps (including the tool that was used to create the models for Reforged)
~excerpt from: Reforged - Warcraft III Reforged - What we know... so far.

So, you want feedback. Here's some. DON'T delete the old warcraft 3 from your store.
It will probably become free as the StarCraft Anthology (Original+Brood War). Because I don't think it's just a strategy against code breaking for the initial game version since you can find it on the net anyway.
Give us the ability
to rotate the minimap in 90 180 360 0 degrees
??? What good would that bring?
Perhaps, a better solution would be to allow people open maps in world editor and take a look but not edit them.
That could still lead to stealing triggers.

Deepstrasz said:
What!? How can the minimap be upside down? You are not making much sense.
player 1's camera was default. player 2's camera was 90C. But since you cant rotate the miinimap, it looks upside down. So i had to make teh camera of pplayer 2 also default. bruh...

Built-in editor option for unit cast bars.

great idea

• let us change the font style of flotaing texts with bold | italic | strikethrough | underline | background color | and its font family also!
  • let us have underwater experience in warcraft 3.
  • Let us display images on teh screen.
  • Let us display custom big message on teh screen with a trigger similar to the upkeep
  • add a native easier and GUI way to handle damage detection and healing detection annd add absorb detection(absorbed damage/healing)
  • Round regions please! im having problems with square regions.. these edges...

Last edited:
Level 2
This won't ever completely work and code will forever be open in some form or another because it has to run on your machine.
If we have like a bound password between our map and our b.net account u're saying people can hack into blizzard's server and get that password? Hardly. Like for example we had a account specific password of some sorts that is stored into blizzard's servers. World Edit could have its own account creation perhaps where when u open world editor u are promted to login with your b.net account then u get all the maps saved in your account file and u're able to lock those maps with a PIN of some sorts. I dont know what exactly but I hope I can inspire an idea. :D

Last edited:
Level 8
I like almost all the new content, this bring a new essence to the game.
But the only thing that really bother me is:
Why, the icons are too small, i aggre with the minimalist UI, but seems that need a reconsideration in how the icons are scaled to new UI. All i see in the demo videos, is a mix of colours in a rectangular place. (the icons are too hard to see)
I suggest to make the UI scalable, with 3 options (small, medium, big).

Everything else is fine.

Level 7
Visuals seem a bit too cartoony for me, I would like more realistic models but I love the detail on the units when you zoom in. The models definitley do not need to made any more cartoony or WoWish.

I have noticed Blizzard has opted to keep the harsh transition between tileset terain textures even in the HD remaster, the game would look better if these were smoothed out as I have been editing alot of the BLPs on my maps to achieve this and it really makes a huge difference.

Level 12
Since this ''Reforged'' announcement and since it's an obvious upgrade, featuring "updates to World Editor", I've been wondering whether we'll be able to add in triggers / constants to be able to select more than 12 units in total at once? There are some maps, such as "Lordaeron: The Aftermath", where massive armies are fighting each other and it'd be nice to be able to select more units at once. If this was not one of the updates, my suggestion would be to add it - even as an optional feature.

Also it'd be really nice to have key-binds display on their own next to unit / ability / upgrade names. For example instead of having [Q] (or example "Build Farm") in the title, it should be separate next to the title of upgrade/unit train we are planning on doing. So instead of having it written, it could be automatically set to whatever button we set it to on it's own.

Level 3
My Question:
  1. How will look then the murlocs? :p
  2. Reforge will be on 24 players?
  3. There will be larger map sizes?

My Requests:
  1. Make it possible to make campaigns for 2 players
  2. Please doesn't translate the names of heroes into Polish
  3. Change of the paladin's model
  4. It possible rejoin the server

Level 3
Given that the best way to contribute to the longevity of the game and player retention will yet again be user created content I would suggest to Blizzard to just remove as many of the limits that beset creators now. Any other improvements be they in campaign or visual style would have a shorter lasting impact on the player-base. Those considerations motivate the following list, a shorter version of which I posted in the other thread as well.

Hope list:
- skybox improvements(sky weather(clouds etc), Sun, Moon, stars, visual improvements to more realisticly portay the map horizon/edge)
- normal(gradual) night day cycle(with possibility for light level adjustment(sunny to pitch black))
- origin point of objects not making them disappear when point is outside camera
- make mutiple level terraining easier(I have a map with a tall mage tower I wish I could look out the windows of and see the map below, ah dreams dreams...)
- garbage collection, improved memory management
- dynamic water surface as in Frozen Throne menu screen

In other words, the more you enable us, the more we will prolong the life of the game. By giving us enough freedom, your inevitably controversial choices will not have a negative impact since we can create content to everyone`s taste.

Level 5
One of the most interesting aspects is how much the old engine of W3 can handle and how much from WoW is portable to it.

Edit: Guess it has been quite a while from my last visit here :D

Reactions: pyf

The Panda

Icon Reviewer
Level 57

This would come in handy since just one program can import all custom models/skins/icons into your game with one program.. so you can click a tab that says models and it brings up a window and you can choose which model you want to implement into your map, or with icons .. just click the icon you want and hit import and it shows up on your map... I think that would be so much easier then to have all these programs and everything.. So once you download a model from the hive put it into the models folder in the editor menu and then once you click that model tab it will show on there for you to click it.

just a thought...

Because the way we import custom models and such is annoying too do, so I think we need a much user friendly way to do this.

Deleted member 238589

D

Deleted member 238589

I noticed in one of the Culling videos that players get hints about stuff like waking units from Mal'ganis's sleep ability. I can see this becoming a trend and I know it doesn't matter much, but let player discover these thing on their own.

Deleted member 238589

D

Deleted member 238589

Could be a difficult setting thing. I did not see such a notice in the back2warcraft videos. They played hard.

Regardless Human RoC campaign has alot of hints explaining the game, even right now.

It was played on normal and true, the base game has them, but since they are changing things up a bit, they may as well have it so the players figure things out by exploring and trying.

Level 4
I have only one question: I'm Italian and I already saw the Italian cinematic trailer... with the different voice over. Don't get me wrong, I love the WoW voiceover, but I personally love the original voices, it's just nostalgia probably... but I'd love an option to toggle the newer and older voiceover. Please.

Level 20
If we have like a bound password between our map and our b.net account u're saying people can hack into blizzard's server and get that password? Hardly. Like for example we had a account specific password of some sorts that is stored into blizzard's servers. World Edit could have its own account creation perhaps where when u open world editor u are promted to login with your b.net account then u get all the maps saved in your account file and u're able to lock those maps with a PIN of some sorts. I dont know what exactly but I hope I can inspire an idea. :D
If you can access the map, including play it, there is nothing you can do to stop anyone from accessing your map. What you're describing is how media companies want people to believe how streaming movies work, but the fact is any movie you stream ends up on your hard drive one way or another and if you're determined enough you can take it because they just gave it to you.

World Editor is the same way. If the game can't read your map, your map just plain won't run. At a certain level the game and the editor have an agreement on what is readible and that agreement happens to also be decipherable by humans even if you tried your hardest to obfuscate it.

Level 7
-World Editor should provide a map protection tool like a PIN password to open the map or anything at all to restrain other players from making cheated copies of our maps.
-A reconnect feature that's working on both custom maps and ladder matches.
-Allow the world editor to read more than 4 keyboard keys (left, right, up, down arrows).
-World Editor should allow more terrain and cliff types.
Pertinent suggestions, really!

Level 3
so quick question for the guys who know about computers more than me... would I be able to run it?

video card: AMD Radeon R7 Graphics
Pixel Shader: 5.0
Vertex Shader: 5.0
Dedicated Video RAM: 512 MB
CPU: AMD A12-9700P RADEON R7, 10 COMPUTE CORES 4C+6G
CPU speed: 2.5 GHz
RAM: 12 GB
Soundcard: Realtek High Definition Audio

Hmmm... what if....we let Blizzard...steal some of our stuff? what..if... there was a waver, to, wave some rights (WAIT WAIT HEAR ME OUT) and say, hey, the ultimate way to give life to a game we love, to have blizzard have our stuff inside the game its self, if only rarely, I for one, would love that, and here by proclaim, they are free to steal any of my models for their purposes, just as my models are public to change to all I suppose this includes blizzard....haha...probably not. but hey? its a thought. (they may just end up only creating fresh ones, if only based on our ideas, im ok with that too)

some models where just awful and really needed fixing, and world of warcraft style is not bad, I like it. but if they are ''keeping'' the original models, they should clean some of them up. even if just a little. and perhaps add back some alpha idea's.

oh, and if you want us starcraft2 editors back, your gona need...some sc2 stuff...

like site operations....stuff.

Last edited:
Level 12
Crazy idea: why not try making cosmetic changes and variations to unit models? For example the Grunt; it could have a version without the helmet, one with pads on both shoulders, one with a small shield, or even a female Grunt. Just some eye-candy stuff to make the game seem more immersive. Crazy I know and it's gonna take some serious work, but if there's an idea then it's at least worth it to try to put it out there.

Level 11
Crazy idea: why not try making cosmetic changes and variations to unit models? For example the Grunt; it could have a version without the helmet, one with pads on both shoulders, one with a small shield, or even a female Grunt. Just some eye-candy stuff to make the game seem more immersive. Crazy I know and it's gonna take some serious work, but if there's an idea then it's at least worth it to try to put it out there.
I suppose it's too much work, too expensive to do, but I would love that. :)

Bribe

Code Moderator
Level 50
so quick question for the guys who know about computers more than me... would I be able to run it?

video card: AMD Radeon R7 Graphics
Pixel Shader: 5.0
Vertex Shader: 5.0
Dedicated Video RAM: 512 MB
CPU: AMD A12-9700P RADEON R7, 10 COMPUTE CORES 4C+6G
CPU speed: 2.5 GHz
RAM: 12 GB
Soundcard: Realtek High Definition Audio
Considering they've not released system requirements, literally no one can say.

Currently the game is so unoptimized that it runs shitty even on amazing hardware.

In any case, if the computer can't cut it, we can always play the classic mode.

Level 5
3) GAMEPLAY

As much as I love Warcraft 3 for years and years up to this day and forth, there is one part of the gameplay that just... sucks

The UPKEEP TAX thing... seriously, they MUST REMOVE THE UPKEEP GOLD TAX thing in the gameplay...

In Warcraft 2, upgrading the town halls gives the increasing effect of gold, lumber and oil collection BUT...
In Warcraft 3 it became quite the opposite, and it seriously discourages and limits many players to build large armies for epic large scale war battles...
And THAT SUCKS.

In most cases of gameplays within the limit of only 100 food population in TFT (90 for RoC), its kinda bit of a bummer that 1/4 or 1/3 of that population already goes to workers, instead of warriors being summoned...

Yeah, Blizzard should REMOVE THE UPKEEP GOLD TAX thing for the gameplay of Warcraft 3:Reforged

4) SKILLS/ABILITIES ANIMATIONS

Some animations from Warcraft 3 skills are so good that it should be as the same of how must it appear in Reforged (only in better graphics, of course), while some animations of abilities in WC3 needs to be changed in Reforge.

Examples:

Illidan/Demon Hunter's Metamorphosis skill animation SHOULD BE JUST HOW IT IS in Warcraft 3, with the cool dark energy ball morph thing, and that awesome growl voice within it upon transforming to and from A BLACK SEMI-FIERY DEMON FORM... THAT SHOULD STAY THE SAME as the animation for Metamorphosis in WC3: Reforged.
Warcraft 3 DH Metamorphosis is like a dark demonic version of Super Saiyan, and it is B-A-D-A-S-S!
And NOT like the lame Metamorphosis animation of DH in WoW, where DH simply jumps and instantly poof! demon form! tadaaa! LOL

Grom/Blademaster's Bladestorm skill SHOULD BE CHANGED however in WC3:Reforged from how it was in Warcraft 3... They should use the cool looking animation of the Bladestorm in Heroes of the Storm,
instead of retaining the old beyblade bladestorm animation in WC3, or should we say, Beybladestorm lol.

Level 24
3) GAMEPLAY

As much as I love Warcraft 3 for years and years up to this day and forth, there is one part of the gameplay that just... sucks

The UPKEEP TAX thing... seriously, they MUST REMOVE THE UPKEEP GOLD TAX thing in the gameplay...

In Warcraft 2, upgrading the town halls gives the increasing effect of gold, lumber and oil collection BUT...
In Warcraft 3 it became quite the opposite, and it seriously discourages and limits many players to build large armies for epic large scale war battles...
And THAT SUCKS.

In most cases of gameplays within the limit of only 100 food population in TFT (90 for RoC), its kinda bit of a bummer that 1/4 or 1/3 of that population already goes to workers, instead of warriors being summoned...

Yeah, Blizzard should REMOVE THE UPKEEP GOLD TAX thing for the gameplay of Warcraft 3:Reforged

Upkeep is what kept Warcraft III from being an early Starcraft II.

I wouldn't ever remove the Upkeep. It limited mindless massing of armies into one base and it rewarded doing well with a small army.

Sure, it's a very divisive mechanic. I myself am not good at microing 40 supply-worth of units. For me, Warcraft III would always be either playing only 1 hero, as a moba, or getting a large enough army to smash it once into the opponent's base with hopes of success.

But I sure as hell love to see pros do magic with a handful of units.

Last edited:
Level 8
Level 7
Unit Portraits:
1# Buildings: Let me just say, the buildings look amazing with this type of portrait.
2# Unit Portraits: I absolutely hate the new portrait for unit models. What made the old one so great was that the personality of the unit shined through. The frame was always cut into the units face so you could see all of it's expressions. Units were always some sort of charicature of their traits. Use grunts as an example, big gruff units, always bobbing their head and looking all lively. You could tell what kind of unit it was based on it's portrait and voice lines.
I agree with your point. The animated head portrait is absolutely great, and one of most popular features in classic wc3. I think a border and animation are necessary. Insights into unit face and head animation are very significant and attractive.

Last edited:
I agree with your point. The animated head portrait is absolutely great, and one of most popular features in classic wc3. I think a border and animation are necessary. Insights into unit face and head animation are very significant and attractive.
They are animated just they don't have a frame in reforged

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
They're doing that already in a way or another. There are female versions of each racial heroes. But, any of this stuff will cost.
In any case, if the computer can't cut it, we can always play the classic mode.
Assuming you didn't buy Reforged, right?

Level 8
Am I the only one who likes the new footman? He could use some fine tuning, but overall I like him. He looks like the cinematic footman more or less.

Also, while I think it would be cool for grunts to have variations, I think footmen should all look the same. FRESH OUTTA THE WAR FACTORY.

How would different models work though? Would it be a choice? Random for every unit trained? Could it be turned on or off?

Personally, I would prefer if it was a bit more like skins in Starcraft 2 but with more options on how it applies. I would want to have significant control/customisability so that I was never forced to live with some variation I disliked. For example, if you did want the variation to come out randomly you could also tick which ones. For example, let's say there is 4 grunts. 1 with no helmet, 1 with a shield, 1 with a mace, and 1 with duel wielding shields. Maybe I think the helmet is derpy as hell so I only want the non-helmet version(s). I would like to be able to choose that.

But overall I am not going to be bothered if there is only one model remake. I don't want to lose a raid expansion because they had to work on models.

Edit: also... have I misunderstood the classic thing? If I own classic RoC and TFT, do I still have to buy reforged to play it?

Or does that just mean people with classic can play with reforged in multiplayer?

Level 15
@Standhaft

I like the new footmen too.

@Archian

Story: For me the most important part of Warcraft 3 was the campaigns. I loved them to bits, and still do, but I am worried about all I am hearing about how the story will be altered to match WoW retcons. This worries me because I saw the lore that I loved for Warcraft get gradually erased, needlessly complicated and completely retconned into what WoW is today. Do I mind small alterations like adding more content to the Fall of Quel'thalas? Not at all. But I don't want all the crap like the retconned Garona & Medivh stuff, Thrall as green jesus, Hellscream getting turned into some hero when he was a merciless warrior, or the Burning Legion getting entirely changed. Please keep all that out of it.

I'll be watching the changes carefully as they'll dictate whether or not I ever buy the game.

In addition, I think the demo missions for Thrall should be added to the campaigns. They explain why Thrall has jungle trolls.

Assets: One of the big worries from the modding community (that I've noticed) is that with a graphical upgrade the thousands of old models won't match the HD visuals. This means that modders are returning to having only a tiny pool of models, skins, etc to use and I feel this is something that should be addressed by Blizzard. You have a host of weapon models, environmental doodads and more that you could transfer from WoW into WC3:Reforged. This would give modders a vast pool of models to use for their maps, and would help keep people interested in modding this game.

New Content: I would be glad to see new campaigns added -after- release in the form of a new expansion pack.

Microtransactions: WC3 doesn't need them and players shouldn't be punished by not shelling out cash to get the skins, etc. The modding community has grown so strong because mod users have access to everything they would need, and microtransactions segregate players from one another. Make WC3 feel like an old game, just as it should.

Last edited:
Level 2
big mistake that they made it look more realistic. We want warcaft. just the way it is. I never had a problem with it, nor will I ever have a problem with it. If you're going to reforge it then reforge it like the original look. All the new models are ugly to me because they are not warcraft 3. They are WoW, all the textures look blurry to me even though you made them as HD as possible. But when you zoom out it's all a blur of grayish colors and the footman looks like a generic "unit" and the ghoul now looks like a generic "zombie thingy". THe original ghoul looked really scary, with huuuge long bone fingers where you can just imagine that he slices anybody up. He looks like he was bred or grown precisely as a killing machine and only to kill.
Now look at the new ghoul. Just some generic zombie with generic clothes hanging off from him and some generic attack animation.
Especially the arthas and jaina and uther models looked horrible in the cinematic. Yes very nice PBR, that's great but so what? You only managed to enter the uncanney valley of realism now. Now I notice how their mouths dont move, their faces dont act correctly and the blurry textures. Before with comic look I didnt care, it's a comic.
Lets take the skeleton for example, now it looks like a realistic human skeleton. But now I cant use it as a generic skeleton for modding anymore. I cant make it spawn from a gnoll. Or summon a bunch of skeletons by an ice revenant or something because why would he summon human skeletons? you understand my point? if you make things realistic, you narrow their focus. Now it has to be so much better and you just know that the game wont survive for another 15 years on realistic looks, graphics will improve and then we look at "realistic" reforged and it looks ugly compared to the new games. I still think wc3 looks just perfectly fine today.
It's not like I dont appreciate the effort here, I do.. but cmon, this has to be warcraft. I dont care about the sensibilities of your designers and modellers. Force them to make it exactly like the original wc3 only better. You can add new units, new campaigns, new spells. I am fine with THAT. I'm not fine with a new look / art direction. Look, let's make a compromise because I know how your artists feel about this. PBR is the new cool thing and who the hell wants to work on old stuff. Make it PBR but develop an entirely new direction that still emphasizes primary identifying traits.
So make it cartoony PBR. Give the footman his huge shield back that he can hide behind. Give the ghouls his insanely long pure bone claws back. Give the knight his bulkiness back so he feels different from a footman. Right now they honestly look almost the same when you just give a big group a glance from above. You cant immediately tell with 0.1s of looking how many knights are in a group. That was definitely possible in the old wc3, there is no way you cant count the 3 knights in a large group of footmen. I seriously doubt that you would be able to do that in reforged.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
For example, if you did want the variation to come out randomly you could also tick which ones. For example, let's say there is 4 grunts. 1 with no helmet, 1 with a shield, 1 with a mace, and 1 with duel wielding shields. Maybe I think the helmet is derpy as hell so I only want the non-helmet version(s). I would like to be able to choose that.
In melee games only for those who choose that not for all players to be confused by it.
Edit: also... have I misunderstood the classic thing? If I own classic RoC and TFT, do I still have to buy reforged to play it?
Of course you have to buy it.
Thrall as green jesus
That's not a retcon. It's story progression.
In addition, I think the demo missions for Thrall should be added to the campaigns. They explain why Thrall has jungle trolls.
You mean, Darkspear Tribe Trolls?
He looks like he was bred or grown precisely as a killing machine and only to kill.
But actually mostly used for lumber gathering outside of early melee and campaign levels.
Lets take the skeleton for example, now it looks like a realistic human skeleton. But now I cant use it as a generic skeleton for modding anymore. I cant make it spawn from a gnoll. Or summon a bunch of skeletons by an ice revenant or something because why would he summon human skeletons?
The Skeleton was human even back then aside the Skeletal Orc. It's artistic semantics. I like the Diablo look of it but I'm not quite sure I like it for Warcraft III.

Level 7
big mistake that they made it look more realistic. We want warcaft. just the way it is. I never had a problem with it, nor will I ever have a problem with it. If you're going to reforge it then reforge it like the original look. All the new models are ugly to me because they are not warcraft 3. They are WoW, all the textures look blurry to me even though you made them as HD as possible. But when you zoom out it's all a blur of grayish colors and the footman looks like a generic "unit" and the ghoul now looks like a generic "zombie thingy". THe original ghoul looked really scary, with huuuge long bone fingers where you can just imagine that he slices anybody up. He looks like he was bred or grown precisely as a killing machine and only to kill.
The HD arts are indeed affected by WOW partially. However, most models such as Jaina Proudmoore, Uther and footman look great.

I don't like Paladin's haircut and beard. The classic Paladin looks more sacred. As a paladin, Uther looks more suitable. The Arthas's shoulder armor and hammer exhibit too much WOW elements. The tauren's weapon, wood, looks awkward. I just prefer the original tauren model.

Last edited:

Bribe

Code Moderator
Level 50
They're doing that already in a way or another. There are female versions of each racial heroes. But, any of this stuff will cost.

Assuming you didn't buy Reforged, right?

I absolutely bought it.

I'll continue to do modding on my Miix 310 even if it means running on current settings only. But this can run Starcraft 2 on low, so maybe it'll also run Reforged on low. Multicore support would be great.

If I want to enjoy all the settings cranked up, I should have my desktop CPU hooked up again by the time Reforged comes out. That desktop absolutely wrecks in performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.