1. Join Terraining Contest #19 and witness the aftermath!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The 3rd Melee Mapping Contest is ON! Join in on a ride of a 4v4 melee experience!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The 30th edition of the Modeling Contest is finally up! The Portable Buildings need your attention, so come along and have a blast!
    Dismiss Notice

Reforged Warcraft III Reforged - Community Feedback

Discussion in 'Patch Discussion' started by Archian, Nov 4, 2018.

1. Blackcat

Blackcat

Resources:
    Resources:
    Probably received this one already, but I'll post it anyway.

Battle.net
    - Make clans, profiles and friendlists work for both Classic and Reforged. I've got a clan that's 14 years old and I'd hate to lose it. Same with my profile with stats and icons.
    - Create more and more diverse automated tournaments. Maybe even add some custom games into the mix? (Battle.net hosted DotA, Legion TD, etc. tournaments, how cool would that be? :D)
    - Tweak the channel system you currently got. In StarCraft 2 it doesn't invite you to communicate with other people, the 'in-your-face' ICQ style of Battle.net1.0 has worked really well. Hope you guys build on that.

UI
    - I'm sure the current UI is not final. While I appreciate the minimalistic design, I'd like to have a more prominent place for unit buffs.

Visual
    - The buildings need some work in my opinion. They don't really fit in with the rest of the world. Maybe this will coincide with extra work on the surface palette.
    - For competitive play it is important that you can instantly see what kind of unit you are fighting and what kind of buffs these units do or do not have. I hope units will be different enough so that this is possible. (The rifleman in The Culling is the best example, that's recognizable.

And thank you for doing this. I've been hyped this whole weekend. I appreciate this very much and I know it is in good hands, just by seeing the panel and the reveal at BlizzCon. You guys love this game as much as we do.

2. Cokemonkey11

Cokemonkey11

Wurst Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Do you have any concerns that none of the mediums through which you're accepting feedback have a notion of measuring agreement? hive workshop and battlenet forums don't have upvotes/downvotes/emoji responses like github/reddit/facepunch have.

- lots of feedback will be of the form "cool new graphics, reminds me of wow". You should expect and take seriously that there are *lots* of people who loved D2 and W3, but won't lay a finger on WoW or HotS because of the childish, family-friendly art style. Some of us hate anime, and think WoW lore is for children.

- lots of modders have no trust at all that the classics team won't break the world editor and modding. What's the deal with people saying "all maps will work in reforged"? That's fundamentally untrue since lots of maps that have been made over the last 15 years don't even work in 1.29 because of JASS changes

- 1.30 has bugs and problems. Don't you think it's worth talking about the state of wc3 now, and how you're addressing issues now, alongside the cashgrab marketing release?

I'm in a very neutral boat. I work on and with WurstScript • Home , and I will be surprised if it works with Reforged without @Frotty spending months to catch up.

I won't preorder, and I think preordering is a lazy business practice.

But I'm an optimist for Reforged. Keep up what you've started. The microtransactions thing is okay. I hope there's a comfortable way to play modern custom games with everyone on battle.net without the WoW era models.

Your promises and goals should be formalised. "We hope for cross compatibility" is pretty rubbish compared to "we promise full cross compatibility from day 1". Which is it?

3. SharSash

SharSash

Resources:
    Resources:
    First of all I would like to say that what has been shown doesn't look warcraftish enough to me. If i was shown reforged footage I wouldn't tell that this is warcraft related. Also I would like devs to keep old spell and items icons the same but in higher resolution like 128x128 or 256x256. UI doesn't see to be finished yet. And finally I really don't want Blizzard to chop off Dreadlord's tail, please Blizzard keep it. Tail life matters. If I got to make a remaster I would keep the cartoonish style but in HD so when you scroll in to looke closely you could enjoy all the beauties of detail.

4. WeirdEditor

WeirdEditor

Resources:
    Resources:
    I hope that the new sound engine will be fully repaired (still buggy in 1.30.2), and third party games like DotA would go well with WC3R.
    I am trying to accept the new but ugly art style, since I know staff from HotS are taking over WC3.

5. DoctorGester

DoctorGester

Resources:
    Maps:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Just a list of things which would be cool!

1. Jass VM performance: this is very important, the current VM is very very slow even with not very complex algos, JIT compilation would be nice, although at this point adding an alternative support of something like LuaJIT (it's sandboxed by default, battle tested and is very easily embeddable) would be ideal.
    2. Pathing lag beyond a certain amount of units is crippling.
    3. Http request natives for implementing custom stat gathering, ranking systems, storing player profiles, etc, etc.
    4. Complementing #3 a native to get something like a battle.net user id would be very very handy.
    5. UI API: by far the most lacking part of modding seemed to be an inability to create truly custom UIs. In all honesty even an API to draw rectangles, images and text (with font metrics support) would suffice (for example in immediate UI-style), although that seems like a quite large undertaking. Looking at dota2: UI code is fully separate and requires event-based communication with "backend" code, kind of like on the web.
    6. Channel should have a setting to enable instant execution without interrupting movement
    7. A Channel-like buff template, which would allow specifying various things like the amount of slow it applies, or if it stuns or roots the target, kind like a universal buff. Having those things controlled through Jass API would also be amazing.
    8. A native to apply buffs to targets without creating a dummy ability and casting a spell etc etc.

6. YourArthas

YourArthas

Resources:
    Resources:
    I really liked the way Blizzard is going I got only few critics

A) Yes giving campaign maps more fitting look with WoW is nice but I think it is best to keep 2 versions one replacing stuff with current lore but also make old designs in HD without changes example: Wc3's draenei were 'lost ones' so make them but also make fitting versions of current lore 'broken draenei' for campaign and make it chooseable like we do with diffuculty option maybe legacy\reforged campaign option would be nice I'lld love to see both broken Akama and Lost One Akama (in melee maps they should be Lost ones)

B) Keep the old designs for units etc mostly like ghouls make them like the old concept and include the new epic concept you made as skins

C) Maybe texture and sculpture style would be more like WoW but current style you choose is perfectly fine

For referances you can see our mod, we are nothing compared to you Blizzard but maybe we can help in someway ( Maybe we had cool concepts etc )
    Warcraft Rebirth mod

7. Nudl9

Nudl9

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    World Editor:
    1# When making dummy unit cast the spell cloud, it only supports player 1 for some reason, please fix this.
    2# Please add better support for coldown reduction, some spells cause crashes like Tornado when messing "set coldown" function. I tried to make a coldown reduction aura, but it was too hard without causing desyncs.
    3# Feature suggestion: Make movement speed easier to change with triggers. Because if you try to add % movement speed via triggers on a unit with slow and then change it back, the base movement speed has been changed permanently.
    4# Feature suggestion: Dummy projectile spell similiar to "Channel" where you can change all kinds of stats, stuns, slows, dmg reduc, duration, etc.
    5# Feature suggestion: Make tree target possible with "Channel".
    6# Feature suggestion: Checkbox on point target spells in object editor: Can be targetted on unpathable terrain.
    7# Feature suggestion: Since sci-fi maps are pretty common, why not add energy shield as a feature on the same line as hp/mana.

Overall impression:
    1# Saturation: I'm of personal bias about the game looking too desatured. From a historical perspective Warcraft has always looked saturated and cartoony. It just doesn't make sense to change it now when people have such personal ties with the game. It's why people meme about the "soul vs soulless" when it comes to remaster.
    2# More bounce: Overall i feel like animations could use more bounciness. It's that one thing Valve couldn't get right when adapting Dota from Warcraft. Warcraft's lively and bouncy animations are very unique to this game. It's a bit overexaggerated and makes the units look overly alive.
    3# Realism isn't what we want: I've heard the devs state this, but the realistic take on the game was done to differentiate itself on the market. Personally i just feel like it looks like WC3 with a Starcraft tone. It just looks so dull and boring. This is why people spout the "soulless" meme. WC3 is what it is because it doesn't take itself too seriously. Just look at the colors, the bouncy animations, voice lines and general body proportions. The reforged version just looks less of that. Like you can really tell the developers had fun making WC3 because it doesn't take itself too seriously. It's just something that shines through all aspects of the game. The voice lines are most evident of this.

Unit Portraits:
    1# Buildings: Let me just say, the buildings look amazing with this type of portrait.
    2# Unit Portraits: I absolutely hate the new portrait for unit models. What made the old one so great was that the personality of the unit shined through. The frame was always cut into the units face so you could see all of it's expressions. Units were always some sort of charicature of their traits. Use grunts as an example, big gruff units, always bobbing their head and looking all lively. You could tell what kind of unit it was based on it's portrait and voice lines.

Unit Models:
    My general impression is that the models look nice, i've got a few gripes with the looks:
    1# Footmen: I feel like it could use slightly less detail on shields. Since they're supposed to be basic fodder units, they will stack up and when they do theres a lot of eyeclutter. Just tone down the details. Also the giant ass "WoWish" shoulder plates look ridicolous.
    2# Headhunters: They used to haunch more in WC3 vanilla.
    3# Paladins: Arthas, Uther, etc: Please reconsider the ridicolous size of shoulder plates.
    4# Knights: The new ones have no personality what so ever. I remember the old model specifically being very arrogant and boisterous. With a sleazy gruff beard.

Doodads:
    Few gripes with doodads, most look really good. I'm happy about the greenery stuff.
    1# City Buildings: Slightly less details. The city looks cluttered when the doodads have too many details. Like my eyes were drawn all across the picture. When it should be naturally drawn to "unit" models first.

I'm kind of excited about the remaster, it does look good, but i'm pretty certain i'm not the only one that don't enjoy the more "realistic" and "serious" tone that the remaster is going for. If i were to speculate it's because the intent is to make it visually more pleasing for e-sports or just to please WoW fans. The new tone isn't in line with what the fanbase of the original want though, which i think is a major mistake.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
  8. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    How so? Would you give some details? You're saying you can't make dummy units with the Cloud ability for other players than red? Or are you referring to the spell targeting specific owned units?

9. ArgentinianUser

ArgentinianUser

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Firstly thanks Blizzard for hear us.
    It would be cool can choose the clan simbols from every team, for example: human stormwind tabard blue, kultiras tabard green same with orc clans (also it can add aesthetic features, like leather white wolf for frostwolf clan), or even mix tabard with colors.

10. Duke

Duke

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    it would be great that if i copy a doodad which height i previously changed, the copied one would keep the changed height and not reset it to default

thanks

11. Nudl9

Nudl9

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    @deepstrasz
    Only a dummy unit from player 1 can cast the ability. If a dummy from player 2 is casting the spell it will never work. Search function on this forum shows other people with the same problem.

I remember there being more buggy spells interactions, but thats the only one i can remember at the top off my head.

12. Robbepop

Robbepop

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Even though I hope for an advanced modder experience concerning the World Editor I do at the same time hope that Blizzard doesn't overdo it by complicating it too much. For me the StarCraft2 World Editor and especially its Data Editor (or what was it called?) was just far too complicated compared to the new scripting possibilities in the scripting editor. At least to me scripting is a lot more convenient than having to learn how an entire Data Editor is working as it was designed in StarCraft 2's World Editor.

That Data Editor was actually one of the many reasons I lost motivation in modding for SC2.

13. Sverkerman

Sverkerman

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    ^This I agree with.

I don't think that I'm alone when I say that the single most important thing is that you can open your old WC3 maps that you have been working on/are currently working on inside the new world editor and that everything WORKS. It shouldn't matter how big the map is, how many triggers the map has or how many doodads the map has - this is the single most important thing! Make SURE that we can open our projects in the new version of the game just like we can do now.

This is very very true. Do not complicate World Editor, do not attempt to fix what is not broken. I'll repeat myself here, do not attempt to fix what is not broken.

How about fixing this?
    Also, I'd like to request something that I know a lot of ORPG map makers are wanting, a way to apply a new skin to a unit ingame. A native for this would be lovely.

For the future, add support for databases so that we don't have to rely on save/load codes - this is where magical things could happen.

14. Zephyrius2412

Zephyrius2412

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Oh ! A Spell Editor, with a sequence of functions (like the Trigger Editor), to allow people to create special spells a bit more easier than with code ?

15. Kacpa2

Kacpa2

Resources:
    Resources:
    I got calmer than before, but i still advocate for artstyle to be more inline with originals, or at very least animations to be exacly alike originals but with improvements - which can be done since we seen overhauled 100% faithful animations in Warcraft3HDassets for Starcraft 2 with heroes and demons. These have hands adn got facial expressions added, why not atleast attempt this for new models. And partially tone down on realistic texturing to make it resemble original's and wow's ingame style? Animations are most important, same with sounds these shouldnt be replaced but improved if nessesary which as i said was already done in 2015, please consider this. I was outspoken...even aggressively, because i care for this game so much..... For sake of Wc3's legacy try to make it feel like original visual and soundwise with animations and spell effects as close to original as possible. There were several reason to why WC3 had cartoony artstyle one most important was unit recognition and how it would allow game to endure and look still fine, since obviously early 3d that tried to be realistic, especially with poorly done reflections aged terribly, case and point Warcraft 2 and Starcraft 1 cinematics which were alike graphics from games few years later in the period of 2000-2001.

Team Fortress 2 has this artstyle for similar reasons and there are commentaries by Valve on how important it is for unit recognition with sillouttes and defined characteristing movements(animations). Grubby mentioned it during his playthrough and later interview with out of your developers. So please consider to remake the animations to be like originals but with improvements. 20 frames dont matter as limitation since animations could be linerized, pretty much creating infinite amout of frames and that's how it works ingame for most part. You dont need to make it realistic forcefully, it makes it look silly aswell since of the speed up animations that try to fit in the timing frame. So please remake the animations from originals like it was done in 2015 Sc2 Wc3hd assets, it will do only good for the game in several ways.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  16. xISLx

xISLx

Resources:
    Resources:
    Regarding the visuals:
    • You took too much from the HotS and Starcraft and too little from Warcraft 3 itself; People still praise WC3 to this day, and there are reasons for it. Do they praise HotS the same way? No. Then why take inspiration from there?
    • Everything is wrong with the style and the atmosphere; The models are fine, majestic I would say, but the overall feel that the game gives you literally feels like another warcraft mod for Starcraft 2. What people say is true - the colors are too dark and washed off; The proportions are questionable*; And some things look like cheap, plastic toys.
    • The tile textures literally look like they are from Starcraft 2 and not from Warcraft 3. The same goes for doodads - they don't give you the same feel of a fantastic fantasy game that is Warcraft 3. (though they look good on some screenshots)
    Modding:
    • I wish for tools that are easy to use and which would allow us, the modding community, to rebuild the huge resource data base that we already have for the old game. That includes everything you may see in the resource section on this site - Maps, Models, Skins, Icons, etc.
    • As for creating custom abilities, I simply wish for more natives. That includes Events for when a unit is hit by an attack, a way to detect a unit's Armor and Attack types, and an easy way to manipulate the stats such us Movememt Speed, Spell Resistance, Critical Strike, etc; that would surely benefit a lot of the different maps.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  17. Dominic Frost

Dominic Frost

Resources:
    Resources:
    I personally am overjoyed at the fact that warcraft reforged is coming and i hoped it would for a long time. But one thing always bugged me about warcraft. The Naga were playable in some storymissions with a someone complete unit and building roster but were never fully implemented into multiplayer... which is the singlemost thing i would wish for warcraft reforged ^^

18. Isaak

Isaak

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    love the announcement, like many others i would prefer if they stick closer to the original unit proportions and overall look, adding subtle details to bring the game to 2018 is just fine ofc, but when looking at an army of more generic looking footmen and knights with their high contrast shiny plates, fights will get much harder to read that way

if they get this right i think they are on a good track

19. sunshinex3

sunshinex3

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Reforged / Feedback on simple improvements

specific errors in editor

Trigger editor
    Keeping track of damage taken is crucial for some triggers like energy shields, PLZ make it easier for to be observed by the editor. events / gerneral units / plz add unit takes damage event

Unit editor
    Abilities that don't level up proper when transformed to heroes or other wise

Cripple
    Frost breath
    Cannibalize
    Inventory (Hero)
    Unit Inventory(all races)
    phoenix fire (bloodmage phoenix)

Item abilities that don't level up proper

Item Mana Bonus (any)
    Item Life Bonus (any)

Ability Errors

a number of the orbs when used for new orb ability cause the hero to deal no damage (item attack poison bonus for example), only shadow orb ability doesn't have this problems and i don't know why.

Game Freeze/Crash errors

Lighting orb ability(purge on attack), when this ability is given to a unit that doesn't use the lighting orb missile art (example a melee unit) the game will crash.

Reforged / Feedback on direction

This is NOT world of warcraft!!! world of warcraft has a terrible story!! I need to make that clear... crystal clear... their story is pathetic I can't really even call it a story.... its more of a narrative...

1. locate bad guy
    2. travel to bad guy
    3. slay bad guy
    4. locate another bad guy.... ect....

PLZ do not change the wc3 story line for reforged, PLZ do not stray away from the wc3 hand book that came with the game.

Lastly I want to talk about format, hard question coming up, why is wc3 reforged not in a expansion format?

The value of this endeavor would go up vastly, at least in my eyes, if this were officially announced as a expansion of wc3. I say this because the only value real value for us moders is going to be the skins, models, and improved editor that comes with this game

The Frozen Throne expansion added a few new models and a new category in unit editor
    Art - Model File - Extra Version , when this is clicked their will be two boxes reign of chaos or frozen thrown. I PROPOSE A NEW BOX NAMED REFORGED this would be how all the new models would be incorporated.

PLZ DO IT THIS WAY!!!

THIS WAY you can have

1. old and new models in same map
    2. a but load of models in the editor, models that don't even have to be used any were else in the game they could just be there.
    3. people wont be too upset about how different/lame these new models are...

the point is THIS IS THE MOST COMMUNITY FRIENDLY WAY of making this.

if we had all those cool wow models to work with and we didn't have them contribute to the size limit, nice worth the buy.(regardless of how you may have butchered the story)

i can probably come up with a good wish list and i will post that to.
    PLZ do not comment on my FEEDBACK it's not what this forum is for.

20. Mistablockout

Mistablockout

Resources:
    Resources:
    I love all this attention for Warcraft 3.

Suggestions:
    • Give us a better, easier way to paint pathing for walkable/buildable/flyable.
    • With a new look and a new editor, do you think you could give us the ability to create smoother terrain and possibly more terrain tools?
      • Example: "Ramp" - Instantly creates an even ramp from two terrain heights.
    • You know how entering a unit description gives you a text box to enter text into? Give us a live "Preview" as we type.
    • Also get rid of the lag when finalizing what you enter into a text box.
    • Allow us to use all terrains at all times, without limit.
      • Personally, I don't use Blizzard cliffs because the heightmap will always look better, but some terrains are locked because they're used with cliffs.
    • Improve the minimap.
      • Everything looks so blobby on the minimap, and gets worse the smaller the map is.
      • Reduce the size of the building squares.
      • Give the option of a minimap grid for people to use in the editor or in-game.
    • Make creating scoreboards/multiboards easier.
      • Also, a preview would be nice, instead of having to start the map every time.
    • Allows us to rotate buildings naturally, instead of us turning them into units and back into buildings.
    • Improve the loading screen.
      • Allow us to use various fonts.
      • Allow us to place text anywhere.
      • Allow us to use higher quality images.
    • Try your best to remove the unit lag that occurs with a very large number of units on the map!
    I had more in mind, but I didn't want to clutter this page more. If you need anything, please message me anytime!