• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft III - Patch 1.28

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
I downloaded the update via the battle.net button, it said 'update successful, press the restart button below to apply."
I did that, then it said "There was an error applying the upgrade.", i restarted Warcraft manually, it was still 1.27, i clicked for Battle.net and the same thing happened all over again. Help!

Level 7
I downloaded the update via the battle.net button, it said 'update successful, press the restart button below to apply."
I did that, then it said "There was an error applying the upgrade.", i restarted Warcraft manually, it was still 1.27, i clicked for Battle.net and the same thing happened all over again. Help!
Are you opening your Warcraft using As Administrator?

Level 7
Are you opening your Warcraft using As Administrator?
No, why should i? I didn't have to do it when i updated to 1.27 a few months ago.

Edit:
Oh, wow. Weird error, i suppose a different message could have been displayed. The new battle.net is now in the Warcraft root folder, its called "Warcraft III Launcher". This seems to be working for now, i'll check back on here if it doesn't. Thanks. The odd thing is that its not patching but installing the game all over again but with Battle.net W3TFT 1.28

Last edited:
Level 21
Anyone knows how to set up two warcraft versions on one computer?

I'd like to have a 1.27b (for newgen modding) running separately to 1.28 (for playing on bnet).
I've just read the kloader comments, mentioning that patch 1.26+ is not working.

Don't really like to use the default editor, mainly because it's missing tileset editing/the colorizer/no limits/object id changing - a lot of things.

@UreDe4D Are you sure they did not just change folders?
Look into C:\Users\Username\Documents\Warcraft III\Maps

edit: fixed it by .mpq editing Self-fix for JNGP on Patch 1.28

Last edited:
Level 21
True and then i could simply drag and drop it to my main profile, why haven't i thought of that.

edit: also i just encountered a strange bug: my buff/debuff icons are not displayed, but hovering over their location shows all corresponding tooltips - so it's just an annyoing graphical issue, any ideas?

edit2: fixed it by reinstalling

Last edited:
Level 4
FOUND THE BUG:

when I clicked on Custom Campain button I see nothing here....

I tried to take a screenshot but I lost the app that I need to take a screenshot for that....

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Hello all :)

Guys if you're reading this thread, ask yourself: do I have something better to do?
Maybe! But better in what perspective, and what perspective is the better one?

So I actually had the patience to read the entire thread. From what I gather, this is yet another patch adding little and breaking more. Now it feels like it's getting way out of proportion. Is it possible some are using patch 1.26, others using patch 1.27 and everyone else moving to patch 1.28? Developers will die in dilemma if this doesn't stop.

It is difficult to comment on the timeline for patch delivery or implications of client architecture. Knowing the basics of patching, I understand @DracoL1ch when he asks what is so complicated about it. Even so, I am not working on the game, and have to concede there are details I do not know.

To me, the critical issue here is marketing/communication. When we heard Warcraft III was being worked on, we were all thrilled. But when the hype meets a year of waiting for this, the disappointment is all the greater the more we got people's hopes up. People like sincerity. If it's going to take years, then tell us it's going to take years. If the patch fixes a few bugs and exploits, tell us exactly which — if it's technical, don't worry, not everything needs to make sense to everyone. We've got experienced users that can make sense of it.

Last edited:
Level 4
Hello all :)

Maybe! But better in what perspective, and what perspective is the better one?

So I actually had the patience to read the entire thread. From what I gather, this is yet another patch adding little and breaking more. Now it feels like it's getting way out of proportion. Is it possible some are using patch 1.26, others using patch 1.27 and everyone else moving to patch 1.28? Developers will die in dilemma if this doesn't stop.

It is difficult to comment on the timeline for patch delivery or implications of client architecture. Knowing the basics of patching, I understand @DracoL1ch when he asks what is so complicated about it. Even so, I am not working on the game, and have to concede there are details I do not know.

To me, the critical issue here is marketing/communication. When we heard Warcraft III was being worked on, we were all thrilled. But when the hype meets a year of waiting for this, the disappointment is all the greater the more we got people's hopes up. People like sincerity. If it's going to take years, then tell us it's going to take years. If the patch fixes a few bugs and exploits, tell us exactly which — if it's technical, don't worry, not everything needs to make sense to everyone. We've got experienced users that can make sense of it.

yeah but the 1.27a update just took 10 years for it to develop.... to be honest when I was seven I was thrilled to see that update develop and stuff :p

Level 2
So
28 broke most (if not all) custom maps, effectively promoting ladder-only gaming
none of major ladder platforms (neteas) even tried this update, which is funny
so, we have major negative effect of the patch. yet it wasnt even rolled-back.

but wait, what about MILLIONS of people who, as claimed by @StoPCampinGn00b , playing wc3? so far it was like 100+ topics/messages on bnet forums + about the same amount of posts here, on hive. THE BIGGEST COMMUNITY HUB. Ye, you heard me right, I calling bullshit on you again. There are barely thousands people who playing wc3 on official servers, and all of them should be pissed as fuck right now anyway.

Goddamit, it so funny. Speaking of killing the game, I've never seen blizzard would make this success.

@brad_c6 can you actually speak with manager to hire, idk, PR manager or something to communicate with real mappers? You know, those who can beta-test before release, who knows what dev team should aim to, etc.

Level 4
@KILLCIDE Warcraft 3 Version 1.26 was made in 2006.... Warcraft 3 version 1.27a was made 10 years after that.... and Warcraft 3 version 1.28 was made 9 days ago with the custom campaign bug.... so there's no time wasting on new campaign maps and updating it for new features and bug fixes and all that crap.... if you like me you have to wait for the next update of Warcraft 3....

that's what I like to say lel

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
hundreds of thousands
It has been said before that the bulk of the current "gaming community" resides in Asia (China?). So of course you wouldn't see a lot of that traffic looking at the Hive or Battle.net forums; try following some of the Chinese streams or sites.

~

It has been made clear that they desire to make all sorts of good changes, and to avoid breaking things (for modders, players, or anyone). But first & foremost the very nature of 'making changes', the patching process, must itself be patched/fixed/brought-up-to-code. That way, they can make all those other changes we want, faster/more accurately/more responsively.

And when messing with deep game-code stuff like "overhauling the patching system", some issues were bound to arise. No one said this would be painless. We're not asking you to stop having an opinion, but do read carefully & give them the benefit of the doubt.

~

@brad_c6 I do think, however, that it would be great to have a tiny bit more interaction with them, primarily in the form of rigorous patch notes. "General bugfixes" might work for the laymen, but for us modders we kinda need some more specificity, since we work with these intricacies. Surely they have more in-depth patch notes that they make as they work; just, strip out anything personal & drop it in a Pastebin or something.

Level 32
TL;DR for the last few posts.

Kyrbi0 is spot on in understanding the situation:
Kyrbi0 said:
It has been made clear that they desire to make all sorts of good changes, and to avoid breaking things (for modders, players, or anyone). But first & foremost the very nature of 'making changes', the patching process, must itself be patched/fixed/brought-up-to-code. That way, they can make all those other changes we want, faster/more accurately/more responsively.

And when messing with deep game-code stuff like "overhauling the patching system", some issues were bound to arise. No one said this would be painless. We're not asking you to stop having an opinion, but do read carefully & give them the benefit of the doubt

However, I also have an issue with their public relations communication. I do acknowledge that it's been becoming better from Blizzard's end, seeing Blizzard posted 8 times on their forums for 1.28 instead of 2 for 1.27b. Also brad doing extra in posting here on Hive. But there's still a hell of a lot more to improve, such as the idea of hiring a PR manager of some sort for classic and expanding the patch notes explanations, if possible.

Last edited:
Level 21
Well @CullingBlade,

i totally understand what you mean, many have voiced critical/negative feedback - and mostly rightfully so.
There are many little things that should be easy to fix on their side (for example: the map testing feature doesn't work properly atm).

It's just that it seems they aren't pressed to do "big things" by ActivisionBlizzard...
But i actually suspect, that they lost touch with their code and many of their obscure workarounds which might be happening in the background.

Can't do much more than report bugs, show interest, give feedback and well... hope

Level 32
logic says it should be painless. EVERY programmer would tell ya - you can't fuckup THIS thing while pathing THAT unless you have really deep issues with the code. And judging by wc3 - there are problems, but not of this kind. Im still overwhelmed how you guys keep doing it "its not their fault, everybody make mistakes, patching is required" blahblah. Stop it. It's retarded as fuck to make this kind of statements. Either you aren't programmers yourself, either.. i dont wanna insult u even more.

it doesnt matter if rightfully or not. Fact 1: devs have no idea what wc3 is, most likely none of them every developed anything in WE. Lack of experience leads to fact 2: nobody tests patches thoroughly as they have no idea what can be broken by changes. (Unconfirmed) fact 3: they also work on other classic games, which means either they're superior humans with insane ability to switch between couple of REALLY big projects w/o losing concentration/aknowledge of ingame/engine mechanis. Either their hands are shaking due to coffee overload, caused by issues they've created by themselves.

You can be good in multiple things, for sure. But not when it comes to a fucking monstrous project with 12 mb of packed executable code. And if you ask me, this approach is nothing but a spit in the face of every fan. Surely not from classic team but those who made them to work like that. Those who don't want to understand - in THAT old games community is everything. Oh sorry, hive claims they have community in touch. I see, I see. In touch of dicks of blizzard top-managers, I guess.

The issue here is that you are speaking for every coder. Once you claim to speak for everyone when you actually don't represent them, you've already lost. The second issue here is that most of the things in the posts I've quoted are just assumptions with no evidence or credibility. As Kaijyuu stated, "since when are "facts" equal to "random conjecture?"

No one here ever said that "it's not Blizzard's fault." The point I'm making is that we're not here to defend Blizzard. Staff posts on these threads mostly here to help inform, troubleshoot, and enforce the rules. If you think whatever we're doing is bullshit, it's not BS, but I'm not going to try to convince you to change your mind if you're not willing to understand. But I know that we've explained the situation the best we can as honest as possible, without leaking private information.

You're also going on about how "bad the classic team operates" because they "switch games all the time" but no one here has explicitly stated such a thing proven as fact. I don't know where you got that assumption from.

In the end, please make sure you're keeping in mind that this is a moderated community with rules. Everyone can have their own opinions and such, but don't make it so you somehow have to break the rules in order to express yourself. If you want to argue a stance, do so in a civilized manner. Thanks.

Level 32
Huh, I'm dumb how I just figured something out. We should check IPs of suspicious users more often.

We usually don't publicize bans in public, but it feels appropriate to note that all of CullingBlade's posts have been deleted for multiaccounting (in addition, also breaking the Civil Tone rule repeatedly). I think you guys can easily guess who it was, but that's not the point.

Anyway, please don't discuss this further. I just wanted to inform people in case everyone is wondering where a bunch of posts went.

Last edited:
Anyone have a status on the Jass newgen pack? I can't work on my map without it. I know there are some complicated workarounds, but I wonder if it will get fixed

We are working towards deprecating JNGP in favor of WEX. In the meantime I was planning to create a script which would automatically allow JNGP to work on 1.28. It should be fairly easy to do.

The manual steps to get it working aren't so hard though.

Kazeon

Hosted Project: EC
Level 33
Can we at least expect Input natives in the next patch? Things like GetMouseX/Y, TriggerRegisterKeyboardEvent, TriggerRegisterMouseEvent, etc shouldn't be too hard to add, right? Without syncrhonization is prefered tho.

Also I wonder will you raise the file size limit again (let's say 200MB? : p)? Since currently 128MB isn't quite enough for me. lol

Level 11
Since currently 128MB isn't quite enough for me. lol
what the fuck man xD

Sometimes I think the upper limit's good for people. Having unique models for everything isn't important. Wc3 has had a long tradition of using your imagination a bit (remember all those maps with red colored Arthas == Mario, and no one batted an eye?). Plus it's just plain good habits to keep filesizes low, regardless of what you're making, wc3 map or otherwise.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
We are working towards deprecating JNGP in favor of WEX.
Pardon the ignorance, but what's WEX?

invoker_by_ladyghoul-d5utzgw.jpg

I searched around and couldn't find it.

EDIT: I realize it's an editor of course, but is there a page, anything comparing both?

Last edited:
Level 6
I'm a bit lost in the following topic:
1-Are there significant differences between the EULA of Warcraft 3 and the EULA of Starcraft 2 regarding the rights of modders?
2-If yes, will the following patches of Warcraft 3 change its EULA towards the one of SC2?

Level 1
Just installed 1.28.0.7250 and I'm unable to open Frozen Throne expansion. Was this a hat trick or should I actually be able to access the expansion campaigns and maps? Thanks!

Just installed 1.28.0.7250 and I'm unable to open Frozen Throne expansion. Was this a hat trick or should I actually be able to access the expansion campaigns and maps? Thanks!

What happens when you try to open it? Is there an error? Have you tried running as administrator? Did the migration work (is all your wc3 stuff in /Documents/Warcraft III)?

Level 1
Everything runs, no issues, I ran file as administrator and the migration completed successfully, all downloads worked. I just can't access Frozen Throne. When I open Warcraft III (the new shortcut) I get Reign Of Chaos, no Frozen Throne. I can still play Warcraft III even. I just can't access the expansion pack.

Everything runs, no issues, I ran file as administrator and the migration completed successfully, all downloads worked. I just can't access Frozen Throne. When I open Warcraft III (the new shortcut) I get Reign Of Chaos, no Frozen Throne. I can still play Warcraft III even. I just can't access the expansion pack.

What OS?

Is there a (non empty) roc.w3k and tft.w3k in your WC3 directory?

Level 19
Does anyone know how to fix the forever download? Haven't seen any topics or chat about this so I am kind of stuck as Blizzard still hasn't added latest patch files to download.

I still cant even patch it -_- i download the update instantly than can't apply it because its corrupted

Status
Not open for further replies.