• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft III - Patch 1.28.3 & 1.28.4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wrda

Spell Reviewer
Level 26
From a person that has played this game for a long time, it has come to a point when an update, something about migration folder and the fullscreen with 2 black sided borders, has COMPLETELY obliterated and destroyed the most beautiful uniqueness of Warcraft 3. Also not to mention that it has messed up battle.net players not being able to log, and bots, the only real benefit was getting rid of the auto-hostbots.
1. Seriously what's up with this migration folder thing? What benefits it does, at what cost? I don't get it, it seems just a way for players to be confused and mess up the whole process of downloading maps and etc.
2. I always play on fullscreen on Wc 3, just WHAT THE HELL are those 2 black sided borders doing there???? It was so damn fine, now I'm obligated to play with a freak screen, this is my face when I noticed it. :mad:
3. The Jngp is also messed up, of course, with a great number of useless updates now it is bugged. It doesn't even recognize the location of Wc 3, and I doubt very much the fact that Jngp opening in TFT editor is fixed.
4. Why merge RoC and TFT into one application??? Now I have to switch between them and always have the introduction delaying me to advance on. It was much easier to switch by closing one and opening the other...clearly useless update.
The only useful update is the latency reduction. These updates did more damage than good, I can't even contact my friends on Warcraft, they are almost all the time off or afk, and I can't host. If I go into someone's game it takes hours to fill and it fills very slowly. I don't want a remaster of Warcraft 3, I just want the potential bugs to be fixed and an expansion of possibilities of the editor. If people plan to update with little and useless things that always make more bugs, then I suggest them to leave Warcraft 3 as it is, or better, repatch it to 1.25, instead of ruining more.

MindWorX

Tool Moderator
Level 20
1. Seriously what's up with this migration folder thing? What benefits it does, at what cost? I don't get it, it seems just a way for players to be confused and mess up the whole process of downloading maps and etc.
This is just Blizzard keeping up with times. Permissions are different between the Program Files folder and the Documents folder.

2. I always play on fullscreen on Wc 3, just WHAT THE HELL are those 2 black sided borders doing there???? It was so damn fine, now I'm obligated to play with a freak screen, this is my face when I noticed it. :mad:
http://i.imgur.com/H8GoyXX.png
It's not exactly a hidden feature ...

3. The Jngp is also messed up, of course, with a great number of useless updates now it is bugged. It doesn't even recognize the location of Wc 3, and I doubt very much the fact that Jngp opening in TFT editor is fixed.
wehack haven't been updated since 1.21. It's hardly up to Blizzard to support a 3rd party tool that isn't being worked on anymore.

Reactions: pyf
Level 21
@Wrda I feel you, but maybe it's all worth it in the end.
At this point just keep a separate wc3 version, like 1.27, which can be downloaded from battle.net for using JNGP.

Level 1
Autosaving replays doesn't work in the new patch. I made sure it's ticked on, I also cleared my save folders, still nothing. Think more people on the official thread are reporting this issue.

Level 14
Another issue, i seem to not be able to whisper at all. Right after i updated today i could, but since like 6 hours i cannot whisper, just like last time after whispering several times(in previous version). I believe it's a server side issue

Level 5
Another issue, i seem to not be able to whisper at all. Right after i updated today i could, but since like 6 hours i cannot whisper, just like last time after whispering several times(in previous version). I believe it's a server side issue
At least, it's working better than on previous patch, just close wc3, reconnect and you should be able to whistper, for a time
If you can't whisp anymore be sure to do it again before joining a game

Level 14
Lots of people have reported that. The best guess I've heard is there's an overaggressive spam filter causing problems, though that might not be the actual reason.
Well, why wont they remove it then? I hardly ever encountered spamming via whispering, maybe like single and very rare adverts of some clans, but that's pretty much it. If that's not the cause the team must find it then and fix, it's kind of crippling not being able to whisper to our friends. Plus if we go online or join games Bnet announces that to friends via whispers aswell, if spam filter is actualy there it may work in so stupid way that it counts those notifications aswell, which would be another reason to remove that spam filter, it doesnt even tell you if you got muted or not...

Level 11
Programs such as the model editor no longer have access to the wc3 mpqs. No matter what program I want to chose the MPQ's, they seem non accesible. I already tried everything with admin rights, regaining ownerships and so on. Only program I was able to get to work with the MPQS was Mdlvis.

I have the same problem with Magos and Mdlvis. Wc3 viewer works tho. How did you fix Mdlvis?

Level 1
w4d0UT2.png
Warcraft 3 Patch 1.28.3 / 1.28.4 is LIVE
Link to Patch 1.28.3 / 128.4 battle.net post

The game turn rate being lowered is perhaps the biggest update in this, as it dramatically reduces the lag / delay in battle.net for both melee and custom game players. User MindWorX found this out a little over a month ago, that the 250ms delay would be reduced to 100ms, and it's been confirmed. This was perhaps the most suggested fix in the entire battle.net community, especially in the competitive scene where minimal delay is of extreme importance. And it's finally here!

You can also now switch between The Frozen Throne and Reign of Chaos in game, in addition to what was said in the patch notes about the editor.

Next up, there are more compatibility and quality of life changes which can hopefully both make the patching process and game itself run easier. Perhaps not so exciting, but it's good that this stuff is being prioritized as well.

If there's any new information that arises, before and after the patch is live, we'll make sure to update it!

BattleNet Latency Reduction

UPDATE: Patch 1.28.4 released, hot fixes some things. ~Updating thread.
Addressing Windows XP issue
Windows XP Issue Resolved

UPDATE 2: The import manager in the editor isn't working for some right now, so while we wait for Blizzard's fix, you can use the WEX editor as it works there.

My world editor didn't install with this patch can someone please help me. EDIT: I found it in my files. I was apparently blind.

Last edited:
Level 7
Huh, whispering's worked fine for me
Nah its broken, when u whisper someone once, they can reply but you cant whisper them again unless you relog, not to that same person. Its a weird, irritating bug which cost me some battle.net friends lol
Quiet a few people can get pissed for you not replying after you star

Level 4
/users command also doesn't work anymore even though it's still listed in the commands list. I have tried this many times at different daytimes.

This already broke with the first 1.28 patch though (and I know it didn't work reliable before already since a while).

@General Frank @Tharifas Thanks for the reports, I think they're looking into the import issues.

@MatiS Where are your maps located? If you create a new blank campaign and add an empty test map, does it save just fine? This'll help us know if the issue is specific to your campaign or if it happens for any campaign.

@Eat_Bacon_Daily That definitely sucks. I'll let them know.

@Fasolace Might happen because of the data migration. If you have a copy of your maps in both your Warcraft III folder and in your Documents/Warcraft III folder, it'll show up twice. But yeah, it is messy. I'll let you know if I find out about a solution.

@Linaze 100 ms was the default for LAN. Melee and custom games had higher ping, roughly 250 ms.

@Kacpa2 @HB. @LordTalbot thanks for the reports!

Level 1
/users command hasn't worked since the first 1.28 patch iirc.

Whisper seems to work everynow and then, I tested it with a friend, when you start whispering quite alot with them it usually makes you unable to whisper for a while.

Perhaps its some sort of bot spam defense system, dno.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Doesn't ent already allow you to set latency to 50 ms? Will this change reduce delay in ENT games? I assume not because it seems to lower the latency from 250 to 100? Unless I'm reading the post wrong?
Most people cannot play at 50ms latency due to physical reasons. It is not possible to have under 50ms latency between major continents.

MindWorX

Tool Moderator
Level 20
Hold up. This patch (or the last one) brought about the wonderful, now-Blizzard-approved exploit of setting Abilities to X:0/Y:-11 in order to hide them.

However, @leandrotp over here... Seems to have discovered this 2 years ago. Am I missing something? Did this work all along?
Wasn't it because they fixed it and then reverted it again?

Level 2
1.28.4:

- Switching ingame between ROC and TFT resets all settings, I have to make my screen resolution settings etc again, this was reported in Battle.net forums a few times now too
- The way they implemented ROC <> TFT switching isn't ideal, the icon is very small, there is no real tooltip nothing, if you don't know that you can switch via the button you are lost. Starcraft has a much better implementation with the Popup which asks you if you want to play Starcraft or Broodwar.
- the Release Notes.txt file wasn't updated since 1.28.0 (not sure if this the same with the English version)
- update process created a 0 Byte Frozen Throne.exe file for me
- again for each minor update, you have to download almost 1GB of data again, when they revamped the patching system I understood that they had to change all MPQ files, but that they now still have to rewrite the complete files for such minor things isn't good for people like me, who have a slow internet connection. I fail to see the improvement of the new patching system I had expected smaller updates once the new patching system was implemented, but as of now, it only produces Battle.net cache issue for some, for others it completely fails in general and the download size is huge.

The first issue is really annoying, it is also frustrating that you never see any Blizzard reply if you report valid things. After the blue posting with the excuse for the many issues and broken things 1.28 had, I thought they won't release such buggy patches again, but 1.28.4 feels like a non tested rush release again. :(

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
- again for each minor update, you have to download almost 1GB of data again, when they revamped the patching system I understood that they had to change all MPQ files, but that they now still have to rewrite the complete files for such minor things isn't good for people like me, who have a slow internet connection. I fail to see the improvement of the new patching system I had expected smaller updates once the new patching system was implemented, but as of now, it only produces Battle.net cache issue for some, for others it completely fails in general and the download size is huge.
MPQ is not that compatible with Blizzard App update system. The update system is designed for CASC. That is why they changed most games to CASC.

Level 5
Alright guyz
I think I found a solution to an annoying problem (Sorry if it has been fixed by someone elses already, I didn't check every post)
With the latest patch you could not import ressources anymore
The way to fix it is just to take an old editor of the previous version and you will be able to import ressources on your map
I'm not sure that save the map with the latest melee patch will give the proper patch, but there were no melee patch in a long time
I havn't tried it yet with the JNGP Editor after hearing of some buggs, so same here not sure what would happen
But it should be dooable on a previous editor as for ressources

Level 11
Hold up. This patch (or the last one) brought about the wonderful, now-Blizzard-approved exploit of setting Abilities to X:0/Y:-11 in order to hide them.

However, @leandrotp over here... Seems to have discovered this 2 years ago. Am I missing something? Did this work all along?
It only worked due to a bug. It was writing data to invalid ram addresses and worked due to luck. IIRC, it crashed when attempted with a mac client.

Now it's a magic number that works due to being specifically coded to work.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
It only worked due to a bug. It was writing data to invalid ram addresses and worked due to luck. IIRC, it crashed when attempted with a mac client.

Ah ok. That's good then; you're saying that even though I haven't yet patched, I should still be able to use this exploit. Cool.

Level 4

So I don't have to create dozens of spellbooks to hide passives?

Wait.. so I can hide active abilities and use them normally? How did I not know about this?

Level 4
It's "new", in that it's actually been around for at least 2 years. Lawl.

Yeah, I'm pretty excited too. Disabled Spellbooks is a great janky trick, but this is just soooo much better.
Well, my current map is almost finished so I guess I'll release it with the spellbooks first and update it later with that method, to make it a little less chaotic.

Anyhow, this is a bit off-topic, so thank you for the info!

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

I love the ping reduction. Surprisingly you find matches quite fast as well.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Well, my current map is almost finished so I guess I'll release it with the spellbooks first and update it later with that method, to make it a little less chaotic.

Anyhow, this is a bit off-topic, so thank you for the info!
No problem. Though honestly, it should be very easy to find all the abilities you want hidden & copy/paste the right X/Y values in. Then delete all the spellbooks (& all triggers linking to them).

At least, I always find cleaning up easier than building up. But whatever floats your goat.

Level 1
Just like Mathis, I'm unable to save old campaign in WE. I tried it with 3 différents campaign. (2 were just for testing)
None of them can't save. However, if I create a new campaign with the new patch, it seems to work.

Also, is it normal that all my single player profil has been somehow erased? I mean, I must restart all
campaign and custom campaign, but the saved games are still here... Weird

Sverkerman

Hosted Project: BoW
Level 17
I think I've found one MAJOR issue/bug/flaw.

I've had a lot of problems with my new map, problems I've never had before. You know when you are coding and litterary nothing makes sence anymore? Yes a familiar feeling. Altho this time I really couldn't figure out what was wrong. Bribe's Unit Indexer stopped working suddenly without me editing anything that had anything to do with it.

Turns out what was wrong?

Event: Unit Enters Region (Playable map area)
This!

Well, I thought to myself, I'm using this event for a very complex and requiring system in my map, the system has one trigger for each object craftable in the game, a total of 18 objects can be crafted so far, so in total my system used 18x "Event: Unit Enters Region (Playable Map Area)" - so of course this could cause some problems since each trigger is very code intensive - I thought.

Well, no.

To test this theory I made 40x triggers that just had:

Event: Unit Enters Region (Playable map area)
Condition: -
Action: Game (Display to (AllPlayers) "Hey!))

Then this happens

Map takes up to 1 minute to load.
Bribe's system is out the roof.
I cannot move any units
Whole game is falling apart.
You cannot exit the game without the game freezing.

This accurs once map is bigger than or 160x160.
The biggest the map can be for this not to accur is 128x128.

You can test it out on your own, just make a new WC3 map that is bigger than or 160x160, open trigger editor and make my exact trigger. Let me know if you experience this issue as well.

EDIT: Just tested with 80x triggers that uses Unit Enters Region (Playable map area) on 128x128 and it crashed when I tried to exit the game & caused very noticeable lagg.
EDIT2: Exact same issue with no units on the map, no actions in the trigger and refering to a region the same size as (Playable map area).
EDIT3: Same issue when saving with the normal WC3 world editor, the issue seems to be bound to WC3 and not the WEX editor.
EDIT4: Tried with normal WC3 editor, 256x256 and ONLY 20 triggers using the event "Unit enters playable map area." Still causes the game to freeze upon exit, this is acting very very wierd.
EDIT5: Seems like only big regions causes the problem, the bigger the region the more memory it uses.

Has it always been like this? Have I completely missed this?

Last edited:
Level 6
Many users are facing this 'cannot validate game version' and there hasn't been a single movement from Blizzard since the last patch release.

What is going on? @brad_c6

Sverkerman

Hosted Project: BoW
Level 17
@A]mun Yeah it looks just like it, I've been forced to remake my big system, I've got 12 [Entering Unit] statements to work on ... times 18 triggers Haha!
I mean, I could just use smaller regions as the problem seems to be relevant to the size of the regions, however - this doesn't cause a small problem, it causes a very big problem and seems to be increadibly heavy for the system to pull off - so I'm gonna go with the safe route and stop using it in my map.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Has it always been like this? Have I completely missed this?
Yes it has always been like this. Last year, before the recent patches, someone reported their map having strange path finding behaviour and other bugs. Turns out too many unit enters region events was the cause then as well.

I do not see any reason to have more than 1 unit enters playable map area event anyway. You can get that trigger to execute other triggers or simply call other functions.

I am guessing it is because the way the event works has some huge internal complexity which is shared by other systems such as path finding. The trigger systems stopping working is likely the result of the op limit as you may find that either binding the event or creating a region of that size uses a lot of the op limit.

Status
Not open for further replies.