• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft III - Patch 1.28.2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 32
Patch_1.28.2.PNG
Warcraft 3 Patch 1.28.2 is live
Link to Battle.net post
Launcher / Patching / Installing Issues (1.28 / 1.28.1 / 1.28.2)
State of the Union (Warcraft III) (General info, remaster rumors)

All publicized patch notes by Blizzard are to the left. It's a quick followup patch to 1.28.1 that mostly fixes some bugs, including the World Editor test map function.
Mappers, the SharpCraft & WEX World Editor extension is now compatible for 1.28.2.

UPDATE: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/bnet/topic/20754965441
Blizzard said:
Hello,

Classic Games has been working hard on Warcraft III. The 1.28 patch didn’t hit all the marks we hold ourselves to. We’ve been making a lot of changes behind the scenes to make future work faster and more reliable.

Patching and installation, CD keys, data migration, missing files from MPQs, usernames and file paths with UTF-8 characters, screen modes, order ID’s broke popular non-blizzard maps, and Mac specific issues were fallout from those improvements. We are working hard to address all the issues that you’ve brought to our attention. We appreciate your patience and involvement.

Improving these classic codebases comes with its share of hazards, and we’re glad to partner with you on the endeavor. The better you communicate needs, wants, or bugs for the game, the more effective we will be at building a better Warcraft III.

As we move forward, there will be quality of life game improvements, editor updates, new map pools, balance tweaks, and more. The recent patch was an important step in paving the way for the bigger ticket items that you all want. Please continue to give us constructive feedback, let us know where we missed, and what you want us to do!

Thank you,

Matt Morris
Lead Designer, Classic Games
Blizzard said:
Our plan is to set up a PTR for Warcraft III, so that we can get early feedback from the community about our changes, and then make the appropriate fixes.

Last edited:
Level 32
Damn, wasn't a lie when they said this new patching system will allow them to implement patches faster!
You heard it from Hive's PSA first :]
Good news! Wonder if test map works now
I think it should. Report back if there's still issues.
BTW what is the "known sound bug"
Basically when tabbing out of Warcraft 3 into desktop, the sound still plays.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Worth noting that this patch is another 1GB odd download.

Test map does mostly work. Testing user made maps with saved or unsaved changes works perfectly, which is what 99.9...% of people do. Testing a newly made blank map does not.

Newly made blank maps do not count as having unsaved changes but are themselves unsaved so trying to test them does not cause WorldEdit to temporarily save the map or even start Warcraft III. In such a situation the button literally does nothing. I mention this because MindWorX apparently uses blank map testing to test his third party editor plugins and such.

Level 6
I still cannot get my customkeys.txt to work on 1.28 but i can go back to 1.27 or 1.26 and they work :( Iv used customkeys for years, i put them in my wc3 folder and also in my documents but no luck on 1.28 any help?

Nevermind I figured it out... not sure why the CustomKeyBindings folder was missing, kind of annoying I had to figure out which folder was missing and create it to fix this. Why couldn't they just leave it in the original location :eek:

Last edited:
Level 5
Is logging to battle.net with cyrillic windows username not fixed yet?
I get "Error when trying to determine game version" when I press "Battle.net" in main menu.

Update: Also apparently PreloadGenEnd doesn't work with cyrillic windows username.
Update2: PreloadGenEnd works, you just need to specify file with .pld extension.
Update3: Preloader() still only preloads files in Warcraft 3 directory, ignoring specified path [Feedback] Compiled List of 1.28 Bugs & Issues

Last edited:

HB.

HB.

Level 3
Hello,

I am the headadmin of the Reign of Chaos website rocarena.com.

I'd like to thank Brad, Kam and others for all the work you do to improve the Warcraft experience and the valuable insight you share here. I've been following hiveworkshop for a few months now.

I do have a question - is there a chance for some balance changes for RoC as well?

It needs some more than TFT does. I do understand that TFT was released partly also to fix the main issues of RoC (the lvl 6 creeping, the madly overpowered archers and dryads, the fortified armor of the towers), but please remember that we, RoC players, still exist.

Our competitive scene can't be compared with the professional TFT one, since our community is smaller and so are the tournament prize-pools, but it is attractive enough to regularly bring the interest of numerous TFT players (including one of the best NElf players in the world - Sonik or HLA), tech world sponsors (e.g. Steelseries, Living-Bots.net) and popular casters (e.g. Crotagaming).

I've been organizing and funding RoC tournaments for almost 7 years now and no matter how hard I tried to fight the imbalance with map selections, tournament formats and player-pools, the overpowered Elf race turned out to be impossible to nerf in a significant way. Trying to boost the extremely weak and difficult Undead race was equally hopeless (the RoC Undead is way worse than its TFT version).

I do understand that RoC is not a priority for the Classic Team, but even 2 or 3 changes regarding unit statistics (e.g. equalizing the RoC Archer and Ghoul with their TFT versions) would mean a world to us. I strongly believe that it would bring many players back and TFT would benefit from it as well since many RoC players regularly participate in the TFT competition (tournaments, ladder, custom games) and support TFT initatives.

If there is a chance for it, I will gladly consult my suggestions with the best RoC players and provide a short list of necessary balance changes.

Level 27
Hope they're going on their goals on a good pace.

In all fairness apart of see if is posible to DE-hardcode passive buff in skills like Volcano,Cluster of rockets, or Frost Nova i don't need much of the newer functions and 1Gb of download is too much for my banana country internet speeds.

Hello,

I am the headadmin of the Reign of Chaos website rocarena.com.

I'd like to thank Brad, Kam and others for all the work you do to improve the Warcraft experience and the valuable insight you share here. I've been following hiveworkshop for a few months now.

I do have a question - is there a chance for some balance changes for RoC as well?

It needs some more than TFT does. I do understand that TFT was released partly also to fix the main issues of RoC (the lvl 6 creeping, the madly overpowered archers and dryads, the fortified armor of the towers), but please remember that we, RoC players, still exist.

Our competitive scene can't be compared with the professional TFT one, since our community is smaller and so are the tournament prize-pools, but it is attractive enough to regularly bring the interest of numerous TFT players (including one of the best NElf players in the world - Sonik or HLA), tech world sponsors (e.g. Steelseries, Living-Bots.net) and popular casters (e.g. Crotagaming).

I've been organizing and funding RoC tournaments for almost 7 years now and no matter how hard I tried to fight the imbalance with map selections, tournament formats and player-pools, the overpowered Elf race turned out to be impossible to nerf in a significant way. Trying to boost the extremely weak and difficult Undead race was equally hopeless (the RoC Undead is way worse than its TFT version).

I do understand that RoC is not a priority for the Classic Team, but even 2 or 3 changes regarding unit statistics (e.g. equalizing the RoC Archer and Ghoul with their TFT versions) would mean a world to us. I strongly believe that it would bring many players back and TFT would benefit from it as well since many RoC players regularly participate in the TFT competition (tournaments, ladder, custom games) and support TFT initatives.

If there is a chance for it, I will gladly consult my suggestions with the best RoC players and provide a short list of necessary balance changes.

Please gather any feedback you and your team think are relevant. I will make sure Blizzard sees it.

Level 8
As the guy above said, they are fixing what they broke. Why is anyone giving them credit?

That is like me smashing into your car, then paying to fix. Sure you're happy I fixed it, but I only wronged a right, I didn't improve your situation, and I created a lot of headaches along the way.

And apparently, testing maps still doesn't work properly. They literally aren't play testing these patches well.

Reactions: pyf
Level 4
I still cannot get my customkeys.txt to work on 1.28 but i can go back to 1.27 or 1.26 and they work :( Iv used customkeys for years, i put them in my wc3 folder and also in my documents but no luck on 1.28 any help?

Nevermind I figured it out... not sure why the CustomKeyBindings folder was missing, kind of annoying I had to figure out which folder was missing and create it to fix this. Why couldn't they just leave it in the original location :eek:
It should still work in the game installation folder, but we are working to move all the user defined data into your home folder in order to prevent people from needing to run as an administrator.

Level 1
Stuck at 64%, log file is saying this:

[I 2017-05-10 18:37:12.0316] Changing Request for handle 01AA4438 to http://eu.patch.battle.net:1119/hero/blobs?nocache=199534199 [I 2017-05-10 18:37:12.0320] Proxies resolved for eu.patch.battle.net:1119: [I 2017-05-10 18:37:25.0003] Proxies resolved for us.patch.battle.net:1119: [W 2017-05-10 18:38:00.0450] CurlError 7 from "http://eu.patch.battle.net:1119/s2/blobs?nocache=1094891847" with message "Failed to connect to eu.patch.battle.net port 1119: Timed out

Level 15
As the guy above said, they are fixing what they broke. Why is anyone giving them credit?
We are giving credits to encourage blizzard team into their work on wc3. As a programmer I know what a pain in the ass is work with old code.

That is like me smashing into your car, then paying to fix. Sure you're happy I fixed it, but I only wronged a right, I didn't improve your situation, and I created a lot of headaches along the way.
It's a very childish point of view like other complainers along hive and classic forum. When PSA release was announced, these issues were warned. Some of us stay on 1.27b until 1.28 stable patch is released (others launch updates into secure environment). unfortunately this kind of update needs some crashes (netease as example) to jump into current gaming standars. You need to understand that It's not a game state matter, It's a process state matter, it's an aspect state matter.
If you want a close idea what is happening with wc3 instead of your "smashed car" it could be "okay, they build a car with cool engine and 4 wheels. today we need to toggle the wheels into wings using the same engine"

And apparently, testing maps still doesn't work properly. They literally aren't play testing these patches well.

"apparently" isn't enough argument to stay angry about this. If we were patients for years, why not be patients for weeks?...
Take it easy...
I'm enjoining the posibilies of the final wc3.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
You really should get TFT. Seeing how you can get both together for £5-10...

Since these are non official tournaments you can balance the game yourself using WorldEdit to modify object data. You might need to third party edit in some object data as the RoC editor was lacking the functionality to edit certain files although RoC supported it.

My patching process is stuck at 64%.... Any ideas?
Cannot download the patch data I am guessing. It starts downloading the 1GB of data around then.

[I 2017-05-10 18:37:12.0316] Changing Request for handle 01AA4438 to http://eu.patch.battle.net:1119/hero/blobs?nocache=199534199 [I 2017-05-10 18:37:12.0320] Proxies resolved for eu.patch.battle.net:1119: [I 2017-05-10 18:37:25.0003] Proxies resolved for us.patch.battle.net:1119: [W 2017-05-10 18:38:00.0450] CurlError 7 from "http://eu.patch.battle.net:1119/s2/blobs?nocache=1094891847" with message "Failed to connect to eu.patch.battle.net port 1119: Timed out
Try logging into the US servers (eg Azeroth) and downloading from the USA. It could be that you are suffering from QoS issues connecting to EU BattleNet.

Map testing does work, with exception of freshly made blank maps (which will test if even a single change is made to them) but practically no one will test those anyway and it certainly is not a major use case. If you are not using a US/UK localization of WC3 (the master and the one they primarily test) then please state which localization you are using as it may be a problem specific to that localization.

Level 6
If it wasn't obvious, they play RoC because they choose to, not because they're unable to.

Exactly. I'm the co-founder of rocarena btw, and as you can see, I've been very active lately here and in classic forums, so we are not so few!

Vidovit

Banned
Level 3
I'm also surprised by the roc community but we should stick together of course!
Out of curiosity though, what stands out in RoC that prevents you from switching to TFT?

Back to the topic: Thanks for the update blizzard but the patching process should be better!

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Exactly. I'm the co-founder of rocarena btw, and as you can see, I've been very active lately here and in classic forums, so we are not so few!
As far as Blizzard is concerned TFT built on RoC, including balance. It would not make much sense if they tried to balance them both in parallel, as TFT already is the result of balance revisions applied to RoC. Look at StarCraft II. All balance updates target Legacy of the Void, not Heart of the Swarm or Wings of Liberty. This is because LotV is the result of revisions done to Heart of the Swarm which is the result of revisions done to Wings of Liberty.

As such in your case I strongly advise you edit the game balance yourself to suit your RoC needs. If the limited editor functionality of RoC is a problem then move to TFT and recreate RoC balance in it.

HB.

HB.

Level 3
@Dr Super Good
Not possible. Hosting tournaments in customized RoC would make sense only if ladder was affected by the customization as well. Having two drastically different games in one small community wouldn't bring anything good in the long run.

If you want to replace the game with its expanded version, you should drop the support and close the sales.

Blizzard didn't do it, so they officially consider it a viable product, not a long time forgotten beta version.

We simply ask for minimum of attention and help.

@Vidofit
TFT is the much better game out of the two, since it doesn't involve the broken RoC elements (the madly overpowered creeping, the super strong towers and the madly overpowered Elf race), but also the units have different statistics, so the meta is different. As an Ud player, I wouldn't be able to use most of my RoC experience in TFT. The only comfortable transition from RoC to TFT concerns Human players.

So yeah, I could switch to TFT, start learning the meta from scratch and suffer from the fact that I am 5-15 years behind my competition.

Or I could stay in RoC as one of its best Ud players of the last several years and try to find a way to balance the game more.

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
I'm sorry, but I don't understand.
TFT is getting a major melee balance patch based on feedback from professional WC3 players as well as a lot of testing in general. This should come out later this year at some stage.

Since game balance is altered, the skill gap between you and the existing professionals will be considerably smaller as they will have to practice with the new game balance. This would be a good time to enter into TFT melee as the playfield is more even. Do not expect to be top UD player though as there is a lot more competition (more players) than you might be used to in RoC.

RoC only still supports melee because of how games were back in the early 2000s. Back then one had limited ways to deliver games and updates so supporting RoC was still required as not everyone might have access to TFT. I am sure if Blizzard were to make Warcraft III now they would have worked to make the transition from RoC to TFT smoother and more mandatory.

Last edited:

HB.

HB.

Level 3
This is a very good point.

I'm curious then. Is moving the RoC community to TFT among Blizzard's plans?

We are BattleNet-oriented, unlike the TFT community which has moved to the private servers. The situation is actually funny, because I've been asked by numerous known TFT players to invite them to my RoC clan, so they could have their remaining TFT accounts "stored" somewhere.

BTW, I thought those supposed consultations of Blizzard with Fly100% and others in 2015 were flushed down the toilet.

Level 1
I think Blizzard has secretly added large address aware flag with this patch, I can play maps that used to crash with "out of memory" perfectly fine (There is a memory leaking map that used to crash after an hour and you weren't able to rehost it or it would crash wc3 but I've been playing for 2 hours now and even hosted random maps and rehosted the specific map a few times to put extra load into the RAM and it works perfectly fine). Also using tools that set the large address aware flag don't seem to do any changes at all to the war3.exe anymore.

Vidovit

Banned
Level 3
Mele balance won't mean that much with the amount of hackers on battlenet. It's disturbing to think that people still massively cheat.

I mostly play custom games but mele is also fun at times. Also a really good change would be giving Q, W, E, R hotkeys for mele units/heroes.

EDIT: Oh and the ladder games delay needs to be removed at number 1.

Last edited:
Level 32
Mele balance won't mean that much with the amount of hackers on battlenet. It's disturbing to think that people still massively cheat.

I mostly play custom games but mele is also fun at times. Also a really good change would be giving Q, W, E, R hotkeys for mele units/heroes.
The anti-cheat job opening for classic / Warcraft 3 was fullfilled as of some months ago.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
I think Blizzard has secretly added large address aware flag with this patch, I can play maps that used to crash with "out of memory" perfectly fine (There is a memory leaking map that used to crash after an hour and you weren't able to rehost it or it would crash wc3 but I've been playing for 2 hours now and even hosted random maps and rehosted the specific map a few times to put extra load into the RAM and it works perfectly fine). Also using tools that set the large address aware flag don't seem to do any changes at all to the war3.exe anymore.
If WC3 is using 2GB of memory something is really wrong... More likely they fixed the cause of the memory leaks/error.

Level 6
I too am quite curious why you guys such with RoC (especially if the balance is do much worse as you say).

In my case (and I think my friend hb's too) it's mostly about the community. We started playing "late", adapted to the RoC meta and made friends there. We like it and we treat it as a hobby (including the large amount of effort at the website + creating events) so we have no need of changing to TFT.

Sadly, the community got crushed all these years because of the lack of support... Massive hacking, and massive channels flooding have been slowly dropping our numbers but the people who are still there, we are very active not only in bnet (when f*cking flooding bots give us a break) but in our events, website and even in developing all kind of w3 related software.

So yeah, we won't move to TFT and like HB said we only need a little of attention. We will stay within our beloved limits!

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
In my case (and I think my friend hb's too) it's mostly about the community. We started playing "late", adapted to the RoC meta and made friends there. We like it and we treat it as a hobby (including the large amount of effort at the website + creating events) so we have no need of changing to TFT.

Sadly, the community got crushed all these years because of the lack of support... Massive hacking, and massive channels flooding have been slowly dropping our numbers but the people who are still there, we are very active not only in bnet (when f*cking flooding bots give us a break) but in our events, website and even in developing all kind of w3 related software.

So yeah, we won't move to TFT and like HB said we only need a little of attention. We will stay within our beloved limits!
Huh, ok. Thanks. It's neat to get a different perspective on these things; personally, I've always geeked out about new units/heroes, so once I finished the campaign & TFT came out I pretty much never looked back.

HB.

HB.

Level 3

EDIT: Oh and the ladder games delay needs to be removed at number 1.

The % of hackers has always been much lower in RoC.

The hotkeys do work for heroes / units.

I'm not sure what you guys mean by "melee" - the "regular" WarCraft?

The delay is supposed to be drastically decreased according to some of the comments on this very website, but even without it there have been hostbots offering games without delay for many years now.

I played from 2003 to 2005/2006. When I came back in 2010, I had to learn the new meta and I didn't know anybody at all. But yeah, I was still more familiar with RoC than with TFT, so I didn't imagine switching to the expanded version.

For the record, if TFT was really revolutionized, decreasing the knowledge gap between the experienced TFT players and the newbies, I'd consider moving there.

I don't think I can improve much in RoC anymore. I could raise my winratio a bit by playing more abusive, but we have enough players who destroy the meta with their abuse already, which I highly disapprove. For the last several years I was trying to contribute in the opposite way and I think it partly worked, considering how many promotions and attention my replays started to get.

Last edited:
Level 7
The % of hackers has always been much lower in RoC.
I'm not sure what you guys mean by "melee" - the "regular" WarCraft?

Melee are the maps played on the regular way of playing Warcraft. Building bases, destroying the enemy, with not much custom stuff (all the melee initialization rules).

Level 32
UPDATE:
Matt Morris of Blizzard said:
Hello,

Classic Games has been working hard on Warcraft III. The 1.28 patch didn’t hit all the marks we hold ourselves to. We’ve been making a lot of changes behind the scenes to make future work faster and more reliable.

Patching and installation, CD keys, data migration, missing files from MPQs, usernames and file paths with UTF-8 characters, screen modes, order ID’s broke popular non-blizzard maps, and Mac specific issues were fallout from those improvements. We are working hard to address all the issues that you’ve brought to our attention. We appreciate your patience and involvement.

Improving these classic codebases comes with its share of hazards, and we’re glad to partner with you on the endeavor. The better you communicate needs, wants, or bugs for the game, the more effective we will be at building a better Warcraft III.

As we move forward, there will be quality of life game improvements, editor updates, new map pools, balance tweaks, and more. The recent patch was an important step in paving the way for the bigger ticket items that you all want. Please continue to give us constructive feedback, let us know where we missed, and what you want us to do!

Thank you,

Matt Morris
Lead Designer, Classic Games
Taken from: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/bnet/topic/20754965441

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/bnet/topic/20754965441#post-3 said:
Our plan is to set up a PTR for Warcraft III, so that we can get early feedback from the community about our changes, and then make the appropriate fixes.
This seems like a very pleasant move. No doubt will it help polishing future patches prior to official publishing, improving reception.

Level 11
So, i have no luck for this patch. 1.28a patch completely fine, 1.28.1 patched successfully after i reinstalled warcraft 3. Now 1.28.2 is totally mess up for me. The update progress display at 68% before this error popp out :

full

Would like to ask if someone have any suggestion for fixing it? What I have tried :

1.Reinstall warcraft 3 completely
2.Run as admin
3.Delete bnet folder
4.Blizzard app is unable to install, as installing it have error message as well...

Level 11
They were able to get the previous updates, which were just as big.

Another thing to potentially do is remove all wc3 registry keys. Don't do that if you don't know how though; screwing with the registry is an easy way to make your OS inoperable.

----

I'm glad they're taking up my suggestion to resurrect the Westfall gateway (or whatever they'll call their PTR if not that). It may not have been due to my post since it was an obvious thing to do from the beginning, but still :p

Status
Not open for further replies.