• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft III Alternate 1 (Undead Campaign): Overgrowth of Lordaeron

Warcraft III Alternate
193201-4d419ac6149992c5dadcc064782cc2d2.png

Undead Campaign: Overgrowth of Lordaeron
Alternate version of "The Scourge of Lordaeron", with swapped races
Play the original Reign of Chaos Human campaign from an Undead perspective in an alternate, non-canon reality.
Some expansion units will also be available.
All players are race-swapped, including your allies and your enemies!
Play on Warcraft 3 version
1.31.1!
Or Reforged (SD)

Inspired by Brood War Alternate.
Features: All Chapters and Interludes are included. Includes a bonus chapter based on the ending cinematic.
Dialogue changed to fit the swaps. Character names are kept the same, but their hero class is changed.
Same map concept, but with different available units as well as different enemies.
Switched tilesets. For example, Northrend is replaced by Ashenvale.

212458-38324911ba19092432aa1236a0a6cbef.png
212614-f5909b9a208186f5b6fe0517a1eb9fe5.png
189500-c2de4dce3a3a8b531f8b552da23edb8e.png
189504-8871a9164c87ebc56edb285cd1da2bff.png

212459-36263e8757ed6b2190b46289d9f4616a.png
212460-e8d1aaa9d3740a3389e763c509cd64a4.png

This Campaign series contains some differences from the original Warcraft lore. They are:
- Dreadlords are Undead beings related to Gargoyles, not Demons.
- The word demon can refer to both Demonic/Fel beings like Doom Guards, and Shadow/Void beings like Void Walkers.

2023-08-21
- Chapter 6: One abomination uses the hook ability when the cinematic ends to show the player the new ability.
- Chapter 10: Arthas' Fel Shield lasts 2 seconds instead of 1.2 seconds, but has a longer cooldown.
- Chapter 10: Terenas' Frost Bolt has a different spell animation, is slower, deals more damage and can only target heroes.
2023-07-11
- Chapter 6: Fixed name of quest in victory message.
- Chapter 8: Added captain's name in victory cinematic.
2023-07-03
- Campaign: Frostmourne Hungers now correctly rewards the killing blow to Arthas (important for XP and points in Chapter 6).
2023-07-02
- Chapter 4: Fixed minor spelling mistake.
- Chapter 6: Fixed cinematic shade revealer model.
- Chapter 6: Fixed name of quest in defeat message.
2023-06-25
- Campaign: Remastered!
- Campaign: Added full voice lines for both existing and new transmissions.
- Campaign: Removed text from campaign preview.
- Campaign: Added Reforged campaign screen.
- Campaign: Added a blue Undead HUD.
- Campaign: Added 5 new hero abilities.
- Campaign: Added 3 new abilities that can be researched at the Sacrificial Pit.
- Campaign: Added new custom soundset for Jaina.
- Campaign: Added new scorescreen art.
- Campaign: Fixed a lot of issues and inconsistencies.
- Campaign: Added new items, secrets and easter eggs.
- Campaign: Added a unique Wand of Negation icon.
- Campaign: Runes are now colored coded.
- Chapter 2: Removed trees blocking the way to the hidden creeps.
- Chapter 3: Banshees are now unlocked here instead of Necromancers.
- Chapter 10: Overhauled boss fight.
2022-04-12
- Chapters 9-10: Added sounds to some muted cinematic lines.
- Chapter 10: Added hints about the fight.
- Chapter 10: Added an ability to Arthas that triggers the start of the fight. The player can now choose when to start the fight, allowing them to check out their units' abilities.
- Chapter 10: Runes spawn less frequently and Terenas reacts slower to them.
2022-03-01
- Campaign: Added attack special effects to Jaina.
2022-02-27
- Chapter 2 Interlude: Dalaran no longer has Boneyards and Frost Wyrms. They are replaced by Sacrificial Pits and Destroyers, to fit with the Scourge techtree.
- Chapter 5: All Ghouls and Crypt Fiends start with full health. Originally, some of them started on 1 Health and could heal during the cinematic due to blight and Unholy Aura. This led to having 9 surviving Ghouls when the cinematic isn't skipped and 5 when it is skipped.
- Chapter 9: Falric no longer reincarnates during the ending cinematic.
2022-02-24
- Campaign: You can no longer build Ancients of Wonders, Dryads or Faerie Dragons with possessed Wisps.
- Campaign: You can no longer build Chimaera Roosts with possessed Wisps, except for in the last chapter.
- Campaign: Mountain Giant upgrades no longer require Ancients of Wonders.
- Chapter 1: Fixed Ghoul hint coloring.
2022-01-31
- Chapter 5: Can now upgrade both unholy and creature attacks and armor to tier 2.
- Chapter 5: Removed duplicated imports of soundfiles.
2022-01-19
- Chapter 5: No longer called "Chapter Six" in the loading screen
2022-01-14
- Chapter 3: Minor changes
2022-01-06
- Chapter 10: Minor changes
2022-01-02
- Chapter 8: Gnomish Launchers can now target and destroy the nearby ship
- Chapter 10: Fixed Arthas' Boots of Speed ruining the intro cinematic
- Chapter 10: Fixed Liches' Death and Decay Animation
2021-12-30
- Campaign: Dark Trolls have special Huts, no longer using the Forest Troll ones
- Chapter 7: Fixed Acolytes carrying lumber during gameplay
2021-12-29
- Chapter 6: Uther now attacks Abominations to make them flee
2021-12-28
- Campaign: New icons for Unholy Defense and Necrotic Aura.
- Chapter 3: Removed references to the Light in dialogues referencing the Fountain of Life.
2021-12-16
- Chapter 1: Minor changes
- Chapter 7: Replaced the few remaining Northrend Doodads with Ashenvale variants
2021-12-10
- Chapter 2: Fixed Gold Mine bug for when the cinematic is not skipped, as well.
- Chapter 3: Wisps no longer get pulled into the Ambush.
- Chapter 5: Mountain Giants no longer have Hardened Skin.
2021-11-26
- Campaign: New soundset for Muradin
- Chapter 8: Ships are now colored Light Blue (Lordaeron) instead of Yellow
- Chapter 8: Necromancers no longer use Raise Dead in the ending cinematic. This caused them to face away from Arthas after the mercenaries are killed.
2021-11-19
- Chapter 9: Obelisks are now Ashenvale themed instead of Northrend Themed
2021-11-05
- Chapter 1: Slave Master buffed. He is no longer just a Raider reskin.
- Chapter 10: Changed Marwyn soundset so he no longer shares them with Tichondrius.
2021-11-03
- Chapters 1 and 3: Ghouls can no longer harvest lumber or attack trees.
2021-10-29
- Campaign: Lowered Gnomish Ballistic Launcher cost to that of the Goblin Sapper
- Chapter 1: Uther and Arthas are now called Death Knights instead of Necromancers, as they were before I changed it.
- Chapter 6: The line "Have I? Lord Uther, by my right of succession and the sovereignty of my crown, I hereby relieve you of your command and suspend your death knights from service." is now voiced.
2021-10-11
- Campaign: Difficulty is displayed at the beginning of each chapter
2021-09-13
- Chapter 2: Fixed Gold Mine bug
2021-07-25
- Campaign: Small changes to improve consistency
- Chapters 9-10: Increased difficulty slightly
2021-07-12
- Campaign: You can now type -d in any chapter to check the difficulty setting.
- Chapter 10: Fixed enemies getting more upgrades than intended on Hard difficulty.
2021-06-30
- Campaign: Added a bonus Chapter
- Chapter 9: Completing it unlocks chapter 10. If you completed the campaign before, go to the first mission, type -t, exit the mission, and you will have the new chapter unlocked.
- Chapter 10: A bonus Chapter containing a remade cinematic and a boss fight, that links with the first mission of the Path of the Kaldorei campaign
2021-06-15
- Campaign: You can now use -t instead of -toggle.
- Campaign: Acolytes and Jaina each have a new voice line (Acolytes no longer mention Ner'zhul and Jaina no longer calls herself immortal).
- Chapter 4: Chapter title changed
- Chapter 4: Druid of the Talon no longer uses Cyclone in cinematic and dies to Arthas like originally intended.
- Chapter 9: Arthas is now saved. In the future, there will be a Chapter 10 that will load his items.
2021-06-06
- Chapter 2: Arthas now calls Feranor a Crypt Lord instead of a Dwarf when retrieving the heart.
- Chapter 8: Replaced Gnomish Inventor's model with one that looks like the WCII one.
2021-06-05
- Chapter 1: Chapter title changed
- Chapter 1: Footman's "It's a trap!" line is now spoken by Arthas instead of a Ghoul.
- Chapter 2: Feranor no longer uses Muradin's skin.
- Chapter 8: Replaced Goblin Laboratory with Gnomish Inventor.
- Chapter 8: Replaced Goblin Sappers with Gnomish Ballistic Launchers.
- Chapter 8: Fixed some hints not showing properly.
- Chapter 9: Felsong is now green.
2021-05-26
- Campaign: Changed Muradin's skin again. He now uses my own skin and icon.
- Chapter 8: Time is now stuck to 19 instead of 7, so Night Elves will gain benefits (especially Moon Wells).
- Chapter 8: Druids of the Talon and Moon Wells start with more mana.
- Chapter 8: Other minor changes.
2021-05-24
- Campaign: Added new skins for Uther and Muradin. Replaced High Elves with Blood Elves.
- Chapter 9: Mercenary Camp is now Ashenvale instead of Northrend.
2021-05-22
- Campaign: Added new skins for Falric, Jaina, and High Elven Spell Breakers and Buildings.
- Chapter 2 Interlude: Dalaran made to look ruined in order to fit the Undead theme.
- Chapter 3: Jaina no longer gains experience from killed ogre.
- Chapters 8-9: Muradin no longer has his last name in cinematics and transmissions.
2021-05-02
- Campaign: Loading screens show Undead Crest instead of Human
2021-04-22
- Campaign: Added new Preview Image
- Chapter 6: Uther no longer calls himself a Paladin
2021-04-18
- Chapter 1: Replaced burning Farms with Ziggurats
- Chapter 5: Fixed Orange base not building units
- Chapter 7: Modified Muradin's voice line referencing enemy Undead
- Chapter 7: Fixed Green AI
- Chapter 7: Replaced Nerubian Patrol with Furbolg and rebalanced Camp levels
2021-04-17
- Chapter 2: Muted Uther's voice line referencing Orcs
- Chapter 2: Uther can now use Death Coil as originally intended
- Chapters 4-9: Increased difficulty by adding Upgrades to enemies
- Chapters 4 and 9: Druids of the Talon will now cast Cyclone
- Chapter 8: Druids of the Talon will now cast Lesser Force of Nature
- Chapter 8: Replaced Nerubians with Satyrs
- Chapter 8: The Farm gotten after visiting the Goblin Laboratory now has an Undead Theme (Gargoyle Spire)
- Chapter 9: Destroyer Form is researched from the start

If you find any glitch, you should report it here. Also, you can type -toggle or -t while playing the first chapter of the campaign to lock or unlock the buttons for accessing each chapter.
You can type -d in any chapter to check the difficulty. If you don't want your difficulty to change every time you load the next map, and you are playing in the Classic client, you should check out this video:
If you are playing in the Reforged client, you need to hit "Quit" after every map. If you don't, the difficulty will reset to Normal when the next map loads.

Blizzard Entertainment - Original Campaign, ported assets
Valve - Dota 2 Voicelines
Magos - Model Editor
Shadow Daemon - Button Manager
Anonymous - Mdlvis
Retera - Disarm
Ujimasa Hojo - Acolyte, Footman, Jaina, Lich
Kuhneghetz - Riderless Undead Horse
SinisterX - Blood Elf buildings
ILH - Mortar, Rocket Rain
Beepo - WCII Gnomish Inventor
PrinceYaser - BTNLichKing
HerrDave - Old-school Lich King (modified by me to have the Pitlord's glaive as a weapon), Dark Troll Hut
Vinz - Reaper's Claws, Soul Discharge
Scias - BTNBansheeQueen
Bumhunter - Acolyte
JollyD - BTNNatureAmulet
Infrisios - Chain Element
Arowanna - Green Dragon Claw (for Gargoyle Heavy Landing)
loktar - Furion (Optimized)
Darkfang - Glacial Breath
Original - Green orb
Sunchips - Mage Wand
Vadik29 - Pudge hook
Samwise Didier - Ride the Lightning Icon Pack
Renn01 - Zerg Unit Pack
calex3 - Power Hook spell
UgoUgo, Kam - Crypt Lord with Burrow
Uberduck, FakeYou, ElevenLabs (11.ai) - TTS voices
Executor Nral - Major voiceline help
Xetanth87 - Reversed Crypt Lord Skin and Icon, Falric (And Marwyn) Icon to Match Ujimasa Hojo's Model

HD
kten - Demon Hunter Arthas, Felsong skin
dehme, kten - Forsaken Deathguard

If I forgot your resource, tell me.

English:
Russian:

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8flW32H3ocaTlU3bf14BEw
Discord Server: https://discord.gg/J5guv3BHVc
If you want to support this project, you can help me by becoming my patron on Patreon.
Alternatively, you can donate through BuyMeACoffee: https://www.buymeacoffee.com/xetanth87
Contents

W3A1: Overgrowth of Lordaeron (Campaign)

Reviews
deepstrasz
I guess this can pass ultimately however it's really just some racial swapping work, nothing more. Approved.
Level 3
This was a nice attempt at doing an alternate version of this campaign. It did remind me of BW Alternate, but the difficulty here is not that punishing. Also i did not encounter any bugs, i enjoyed the pitch shifting voices for some of the characters, it felt more appropriate for their looks now. I can see how this alternate universe will evolve, races being switched and all and i hope you will continue with the other campaigns.

This was a nice attempt at doing an alternate version of this campaign. It did remind me of BW Alternate, but the difficulty here is not that punishing. Also i did not encounter any bugs, i enjoyed the pitch shifting voices for some of the characters, it felt more appropriate for their looks now.
When you say "Not that punishing" are you comparing it to the Original Human Campaign or the BW Alternate? I know Brood War Alternate is very punishing, and I don't want it to be that difficult. However I want it to be as difficult or a little harder than the Human Campaign and while testing, I finished missions very easily. Maybe it's that I know the originals really well, or maybe it needs to be a little bit harder.
I can see how this alternate universe will evolve, races being switched and all and i hope you will continue with the other campaigns.
I am currently working on the Human Prologue Campaign "Exodus of the Alliance" followed by the Night Elf Campaign "Path of the Watchers". Though I am quite busy, so I don't know when they will be released.

Level 3
When you say "Not that punishing" are you comparing it to the Original Human Campaign or the BW Alternate? I know Brood War Alternate is very punishing, and I don't want it to be that difficult. However I want it to be as difficult or a little harder than the Human Campaign and while testing, I finished missions very easily. Maybe it's that I know the originals really well, or maybe it needs to be a little bit harder.
I meant the BW Alternate. Now that i think about it, for Chapter 5 the amount of ghouls that you start with should be less as they will cut wood extremely quickly, changing them with skeletons or zombies i think can work. Also at the end of Chapter 8 with the 3 moon wells and the druids of the talon i think there should be more units, originally you would fight necromancers raising skeletons from their respective graveyards. Still, i only played it on normal so i don't know how it is on hard, might check it out at some point.

Level 2
This is a wonderful thought. In SC2, I can often see protoss in terran campaigns, but never in WC3.
Advice: It's a little too easy. For example, Chapter 5 is the most difficult one in origin campaign, even in all ROC and TFT ones, as lot of skeletons, abominations with dot and Lichs are really terrible. For this campaign, if there are druid as bear, giant with -12 damage tech, chimera with siege attack and the Wardens in attack waves of last 15 mins, player may feel really bad, haha :)

Level 22
I completed first mission only and I liked it!
But some questions:
  • Why Garitos is Slave Master?
  • Why all farms are burning? How undead will live in them?
  • Why Arthas killed family in ending cinematic?
  • After all, why necromancer replaced knight? If we talk about alternate - maybe a abomination should be a knight?

Good campaign, I saw JayborinoPlays WT about Starcraft Alternative - laught, and you're created such thing in WC3!

I completed first mission only and I liked it!
But some questions:
  • Why Garitos is Slave Master?
  • Why all farms are burning? How undead will live in them?
  • Why Arthas killed family in ending cinematic?
  • After all, why necromancer replaced knight? If we talk about alternate - maybe a abomination should be a knight?

Good campaign, I saw JayborinoPlays WT about Starcraft Alternative - laught, and you're created such thing in WC3!
  • It fits
  • Maybe i'm gonna change this one
  • Because he doesn't care about his minions. They are resources to him. He can use them but he doesn't want them do be wasted (Killed). He doesn't just kill them he casts Death Pact to heal after a hard battle.
  • Ghouls and Abominations don't talk. Footman lines are spoken by Acolytes or Crypt Fiends. Knight lines are spoken by Necromancers.
This alternate is not a 1-to-1 conversion. Some changes are made to make it more interesting and to make more sense.

Is it possible to play on 1.29.2 or does the campaign break on any other version aside from 1.31.1?
I first worked on it for 1.30, then updated to 1.31.1. Didn't test it on any other version. I'd say just to be sure, make a backup of your 1.29.2, and then update to 1.31 (linked in the post). If you don't want to play on 1.31.1, you could try .29 but I'm not sure if everything will work as intended.

Level 6
I first worked on it for 1.30, then updated to 1.31.1. Didn't test it on any other version. I'd say just to be sure, make a backup of your 1.29.2, and then update to 1.31 (linked in the post). If you don't want to play on 1.31.1, you could try .29 but I'm not sure if everything will work as intended.
Fair enough, I'll try on .29 and hope for the best

Level 2
Just finished the campaign and I have to say I loved it. It like the concept a lot and can't wait to see more of it.
Besides some audio still refering to some races as in the original version (Uther saying paladins at the begining of Chapter 7 or Muradin still calling the attackers undead in a part of his side-quest) I only found a bug in chapter 5 where the orange base that appears if you fail the caravan side-quest doesn't do anything beyond building a tree of life and a couple of moonwells.

Just finished the campaign and I have to say I loved it. It like the concept a lot and can't wait to see more of it.
Besides some audio still refering to some races as in the original version (Uther saying paladins at the begining of Chapter 7 or Muradin still calling the attackers undead in a part of his side-quest) I only found a bug in chapter 5 where the orange base that appears if you fail the caravan side-quest doesn't do anything beyond building a tree of life and a couple of moonwells.
Can you be more specific about Uther? He is not in Chapter 7. Chapter 7 is Shores of Ashenvale.

Edit: For the chapter 5 Orange Base: AI scripts are created by replacing the units and upgrades in the original. Like:
JASS:
call SetBuildUnit( 1,ACOLYTE) -> call SetBuildUnit( 1,WISP)
But for some reason I left this in:
JASS:
call SetBuildUnit( 1,UNDEAD_MINE)
And the AI didn't know how to create a Haunted Goldmine (since it only has Night Elf units) and it stopped. As far as I know this is the only script where I didn't remove this instruction.
Edit: Was a problem on Chapter 7 too but it was less noticeable.

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
For a parody, this isn't really funny.

The idea would have been to properly switch the races not just replace characters in the way Antonidas is still Antonidas but a Dreadlord and Jaina still Jaina. Well, actually she looks like a Dreadlord when the cinematic ends in chapter 3.
Also, you have two melee strength heroes now.
High Elves are night elves... and Kel'thuzad is Furion...
So instead of the undead being turned to living, now they're dying in Stratholme?
Arthas became a demon hunter in demon form, not living? Also, he's been called Paladin instead of Death Knight by Uther who should've been Kel'thuzad.

While the concept might be fun, the execution is pretty sloppy, the gameplay just being Undead instead of Human without any techtree or quest or any other additions/changes.

Awaiting Update.

If you want more reviews, you should participate in the The Grand Review Exchange!

R U L E S

Site Rules
Map Submission Rules

M A P - D E S C R I P T I O N
BB CODES
BB Codes | HIVE

MELEE MAPS
Description Guide - Melee Maps
Describing Your Melee Map
Melee Map Description Generator v1.3

MAPS IN GENERAL
The importance of a Description
Description Guide - Maps
Map Thread Guide
Map Description Making: Good & Bad
Map Description - Templates
Map Description Generator [1.2]

How to Add a Screenshot to your Map Description

ADDITIONAL NECESSARY INFORMATION
  • A credits list in the map thread description is required where the names of the resource (models, skins, icons, spells, sound etc.) authors are mentioned along with the specific resource. It would be a luxury to have links leading to the used resources. Credits in the Quest Log would be appreciated too.
  • A detailed changelog in the first post would be helpful to reviewers and notify fans about the newest implementations to your map.
  • Map thread tags are important. Please use those that fit and not more or none.

M A P - C R E A T I O N - G U I D E S

If you're not satisfied with the review and wish another opinion, contact the other reviewers or use the staff contact:
Paillan
Alexen
eubz
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/staff-contact.692/

It's not meant to be funny. It's meant to be fun. Simply put an alternate universe that doesn't take itself too seriously.
Antonidas is still Antonidas but a Dreadlord and Jaina still Jaina.
That's just a funny twist I came up. The player thinks: Wait is Jaina still going to be a Human Archmage? And then it happens. Don't need to think too hard about it. Jayn (the dreadlord) is using a human woman Archmage as a disguise.
Where are High Elves Night Elves? High Elves are only mentioned twice:
1) The Blood Mage is a High Elf (High Elves and Humans both replace orcs)
2) Arthas thinks the Night Elf Archers are High Elves because he had never seen Night Elves before.
High Elf Archers replace Headhunters/Wc2 Axethrowers and Night Elf Archers replace Ghouls or Skeleton Archers (Replacements are not 1-to-1. If they don't make sense they are changed slightly)
Kel'Thuzad is not Furion. He is the Night Elf version of a Hero Necromancer, which would be a Hero Druid
Also, he's been called Paladin instead of Death Knight by Uther who should've been Kel'thuzad.
Uther never says Paladin. If he does it is a mistake that needs fixing. Uther shouldn't have been Kel'thuzad because this is my vision for Alternate Warcraft III. I am inspired by BW Alternate, but that doesn't mean I have to do everything exactly the same. I could have made Uther a Death Knight and Jaina a Lich, but what I find more fun is unexpected changes. I knew some people won't like the idea of Uther, Jaina and Muradin being undead and instead being replaced by Kel'Thuzad and Anub'arak. This was the original idea but I was like "Who would Uther be?" There is no other named Death Knight in Warcraft III, so should I make him Mal'Ganis? And then I came to the conclusion that the best way to make this is to leave the characters as they were but change their races. Uther is still Arthas' mentor. Jaina is still Arthas' friend. Muradin is still the guy that gets sacrificed by Arthas. But now they are Undead.
Works well when one has Vampiric Aura. Also Night Elves have no Strength Heroes so the replacement Heroes for Death Knights, Dreadlords and Crypt Lords can't be Strength Heroes. Also there are pairs of two melee strength heroes in the original campaigns: Arthas/Muradin, Arthas/Anub'arak, Rexxar/Chen and they still work.
So instead of the undead being turned to living, now they're dying in Stratholme?
Undead are being reborn and turned into night elven spirits. In BW Alternate, Infested Duran who is an Infested Terran becomes a Protoss (Instead of Kerrigan who is Terran becomes Infested). In this campaign Undead become Night Elf Spirits (Instead of Humans turning Undead). It doesn't make a lot of sense but it doesn't have to. I tried to make the campaign serious when I could, but it doesn't have to take itself too seriously.
Arthas became a demon hunter in demon form, not living?
Arthas needs to become Night Elf for the next campaign. Since Undead replaces Human and Night Elf replaces Undead. The reason he become a Night Elf will be explained in the next campaign.
While the concept might be fun, the execution is pretty sloppy, the gameplay just being Undead instead of Human without any techtree or quest or any other additions/changes.
While the Tech Tree is Vanilla, it tries to follow the Human Techtree unlocks. This campaign let's you reexperience the original campaign from a new perspective. In RoC and TFT there are only 3 missions where you battle night elves, and one of them is the Illidan Wagon one. Since Undead is replaced by Night Elves, you get to fight them a lot more. This is a What if campaign. I wanted Quests to be the same but what if... you had to use undead.

Don't take this the wrong way, I am just defending my creation. However I ask of you to pay more attention before nitpicking, especially when some of the things you say are not true or are simply misunderstood. Also I find it unfair to request changes to it because it doesn't match your idea of an alternate universe. Also it is not possible to simply change Uther to Kel'thuzad since I have all heroes, hero classes, races and tilesets planned already. My Demo Campaign is already started with Thrall as a Human Archmage.

Last edited:
Level 6

The idea would have been to properly switch the races not just replace characters in the way Antonidas is still Antonidas but a Dreadlord and Jaina still Jaina. Well, actually she looks like a Dreadlord when the cinematic ends in chapter 3.
Arthas became a demon hunter in demon form, not living? Also, he's been called Paladin instead of Death Knight by Uther who should've been Kel'thuzad.

I thought it was pretty funny in some parts and enjoyable.

That's the point of a parody, nothing is supposed to make sense or have meaning. It's an alternate universe while keeping the same narrative, it's like a 'randomized' mod like you see in other games.

Why should Uther be Kel'Thuzad if the latter is killed in mission 4 while Uther himself is somewhere else?

Don't take this the wrong way, I am just defending my creation. However I ask of you to pay more attention before nitpicking, especially when some of the things you say are not true or are simply misunderstood. Also I find it unfair to request changes to it because it doesn't match your idea of an alternate universe. Also it is not possible to simply change Uther to Kel'thuzad since I have all heroes, hero classes, races and tilesets planned already. My Demo Campaign is already started with Thrall as a Human Archmage.

I agree with what you say here and I appreciate that you are planning sequels to this. Playing this one made me want more even if I'm in the minority. The only major issue I had was it being a little easy since I feel, generally speaking, undead overpowers night elves so (basically in every mission) it lacked balance compensation due to switching races.

Last edited:
Sorry. I meant Chapter 6, it was the "Watch your tone with me, boy" line.
I have heard I am still your superior as a Paladin so many times and yet I didn't realize it needed to be changed. Thanks. Will change it but I won't be able to update the campaign until the weekend.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Also there are pairs of two melee strength heroes in the original campaigns: Arthas/Muradin, Arthas/Anub'arak, Rexxar/Chen and they still work.
The Crypt Lord is still on strength so you get a lack of gameplay variety in such a manner.
Also I find it unfair to request changes to it because it doesn't match your idea of an alternate universe. Also it is not possible to simply change Uther to Kel'thuzad since I have all heroes, hero classes, races and tilesets planned already.
No. I asked the gameplay to be enhanced. Right now, it's just plain Warcraft III and on to of that, an edit of an original work, not 100% your stuff, meaning quite substandard.

No. I asked the gameplay to be enhanced. Right now, it's just plain Warcraft III and on to of that, an edit of an original work, not 100% your stuff, meaning quite substandard.
Well of course it's not 100% my stuff. There are other campaigns that are not 100% made by the author like Scourge of Lordaeron edits, 2P versions of Campaigns (including my own 2P Rexxar Campaign) that have been approved that change the techtree, add some new features and a couple of trigger changes (like enabling 2 player mode, making cinematics work for 2 players etc.). The only difference is that this one doesn't add new units, it changes the race. And I felt like keeping things vanilla would make it feel more natural. I was quite pleased with how it ended, mirroring the original but keeping the twist going through to the very last mission. If Scourge of Lordaeron edits, 2P Campaigns and my 2P Rexxar Campaign weren't approved I would have understood the problem with this not being 100% my work. I love The Spoon's 2P Campaigns a lot, his maps being approved is well deserved, but I would say the amount of work that goes into making a 2P Campaign map is similar to the amount that goes into making one of my alternate maps.

Here are things I need to do for every Alternate map:
Plan the replacements
Replace Tileset, making sure units and doodads aren't removed since they don't fit with the new terrains
Replace Player Races and Names, Available Units, Buildings, Abilities, Upgrades settings
Replace Player Units and Creeps
Replace Destructibles and Doodads to fit the new tileset and races
Make sure the hero loading and hero levels are correct
Check every trigger and manually replace triggers like "Create 1 Footman" with triggers like "Create 1 Ghoul"
Export each Campaign AI script and change the units and upgrades from Undead to Night Elf
Look at cinematics, transmissions and voicelines
Cut, modify or pitch shift voicelines that work in the current context
Mute and heavily modify the text of those that don't work
Modify cinematics to fit the current context (replace units, visual and sound effects, timings)
Create custom units to replace campaign units (Captain -> Undead Captain, Zombie -> Sprite)
Replace descriptions and quest messages for each quest to fit the new races
Run multiple tests for gameplay (both normal and hard), available techtree, hero loading, cinematics, AI and special events
Fix unexpected things like when a cinematic ends something happens, but if you skip the cinematic something else happens

Here are things I needed to do for every 2P Rexxar Campaign map:
Replace the default bank data save system with my own
Enable saving and loading
Making Units Shared
Making Cinematics play camera motions of the second player as well
Run multiple tests for gameplay (both normal and hard), hero saving, hero loading, cinematics and special events
Fix unexpected things like code too long to be printed to file
One was approved and one is called substandard.:vw_wtf:
Enabling a campaign map to be for 2 players and enabling it to be replayed with a new perspective are pretty similar concepts, both being edits. If I make a 2P campaign map that doesn't need new Side Quests, why would an Alternate take require them?

If it was a simple find and replace I guess you could say it was a lazy attempt at a campaign. But it isn't that simple. Sure it's not 100% my work, but I have done a lot of work. I could have just replaced the player's units with Undead and called it a day. Kept the same enemy Undead AI. But I didn't! I tried to make something of quality.

Edit:

The Crypt Lord is still on strength so you get a lack of gameplay variety in such a manner.
Can you elaborate? I pointed out how in the original campaigns you had Paladin Arthas and Muradin or DK Arthas and Anub'arak and both pairs were strength. And there is no lack of variety there.

Last edited:
Level 4
I must admit that I had never seen something like that, I understand that it is the same story in reverse, the living are dead and the dead are alive. I have played the first 5 chapters and this are my impressions:

1. The voices, in my opinion, should be completely eliminated. It is quite rare and, on many occasions, very bad. The combination and the slowed down voice of some characters did not like me at all.

2. The character of Jaina left me a bit confused, I understand that she is a dreadlord who takes on a human aspect. Perhaps it would have been better to use a custom undead Jaina model from the forum.

3. The maps, I don't see anything wrong with using them, but maybe it would be better if you modified them. It looks strange a human village in flames full of acolytes. Maybe you could use models of undead structures from the forum.

4. The idea is fun and obviously has taken a lot of work, but I honestly think that this same idea would have been much better if you had done it from scratch. Reusing cinematics, dialogues and maps... do not look good, at least I don't like it. In short, I like the idea and I find it very funny, but I think that the execution was not the most successful.

I'm not saying it's bad, just that it could have been done, this very thing in a better way.

1. The voices, in my opinion, should be completely eliminated. It is quite rare and, on many occasions, very bad. The combination and the slowed down voice of some characters did not like me at all.
Voices are not slowed down, they are pitch shifted. This means I can change them to be more masculine or feminine, more demonic or colder without increasing or decreasing the duration. This might just be me but I hate to read subtitles with no audio. Because of this I tried to rework all voice lines to fit the change.
2. The character of Jaina left me a bit confused, I understand that she is a dreadlord who takes on a human aspect. Perhaps it would have been better to use a custom undead Jaina model from the forum.
The idea of it is that when you see 'her' for the first time you may think that you are going to play an Archmage and then the twist happens. If I used an Undead Jaina model it would defeat the purpose of it. I'd rather have Jaina always be in Dreadlord form than use an Undead Jaina model for her human appearance.
3. The maps, I don't see anything wrong with using them, but maybe it would be better if you modified them. It looks strange a human village in flames full of acolytes. Maybe you could use models of undead structures from the forum.
Undead are Humans. Their villagers live in similar houses. The Undead won't rebuild villages with good houses. The village is in flames because of the human raiders, not because the acolytes live in burning buildings. (They are burning in the original mission too)
I must admit that I had never seen something like that, I understand that it is the same story in reverse
4. The idea is fun and obviously has taken a lot of work, but I honestly think that this same idea would have been much better if you had done it from scratch. Reusing cinematics, dialogues and maps... do not look good, at least I don't like it. In short, I like the idea and I find it very funny, but I think that the execution was not the most successful.
Since you said you had never seen something like this, you should take a look at these Starcraft and Starcraft II campaigns that inspired my campaign:
(check 8:29)
(check 17:41)

As you can see both of them reuse existing campaigns. The first swaps the three races causing the characters to take new roles, while preserving the original story. It also changes map layouts in order to make the campaign extremely difficult. The second one only changes the player's race while leaving the enemies, as well as the map layouts the same. This leads to pretty funny cinematics like the one linked above that aren't meant to be taken seriously. I thought that if this kind of campaign worked in those games it could work in Warcraft III as well. Changing the cinematics, map layouts or quests defeats the purpose of the edit. If I created my own terrain it wouldn't be half as good. Since I am modifying official maps, I can preserve the objective quality of the maps. I understand it may feel cheap, but this is something I can work on in my spare time. If I had to redo the maps from scratch the project would take way longer and would be way worse.

Last edited:
I guess this can pass ultimately however it's really just some racial swapping work, nothing more.

Approved.
Thanks a lot for the approval. That's the point of these campaigns: revisiting the old campaigns with a new perspective. In this campaign, I stuck with vanilla tech trees and heroes because everything felt right, and I didn't think anything custom was necessary, but in future campaigns there will be more custom heroes, units, boss fights (Murloc Sorceror, Uther and his Paladins, Antonidas, Mannaroth (the latter will have a separate mission where you fight him using Thrall and Grom, replacing the Cinematic) and adding interesting features from the beta versions of Warcraft III like the original Mountain King ultimate. The factions that replace Demo Murlocs, High/Blood Elves, Forsaken, Fel Orcs, Watchers, Naga, Satyrs, Taurens and Draenei will have entirely new tech trees.

Level 6
Thanks a lot for the approval. That's the point of these campaigns: revisiting the old campaigns with a new perspective. In this campaign, I stuck with vanilla tech trees and heroes because everything felt right, and I didn't think anything custom was necessary, but in future campaigns there will be more custom heroes, units, boss fights (Murloc Sorceror, Uther and his Paladins, Antonidas, Mannaroth (the latter will have a separate mission where you fight him using Thrall and Grom, replacing the Cinematic) and adding interesting features from the beta versions of Warcraft III like the original Mountain King ultimate. The factions that replace Demo Murlocs, High/Blood Elves, Forsaken, Fel Orcs, Watchers, Naga, Satyrs, Taurens and Draenei will have entirely new tech trees.

So you're moving forward with this idea as far as the end of frozen throne?

Added a bonus chapter based on the ending cinematic. It is unlocked by completing Chapter 9. If you played the campaign before, you can jump right into Chapter 10 by doing the following:
1) Go to Chapter 1.
2) Type -t in the chat and check for the "Chapters unlocked" message
3) Quit the map.
4) You now have all missions unlocked including Chapter 10.
If you have played Chapter 9 a long time ago, or you haven't played it at all, you will start with 4 generic items. If you want the items from Chapter 9, the only way is to replay Chapter 9 before playing Chapter 10. Your items will transition between missions.

Level 12
~Short Review~
I played on war3 version 1.31

Mission 2

- The haunted gold mine is bugged in this mission, after the cutscene with the blood mage and uther ends, for some reason when i tell an acolyte to go to mine gold it says the mine isn't haunted, even tho i still have 4 other acolytes mining from it, and after i take them away and put them to mine the same thing happens, only after i haunted the already haunted mine they can go and mine again, pretty funny bug.
After the second haunted mine was built on top of the old one i also discovered i can put more acolytes on the same mine, so i ended up having 9 acolytes mining from 1 single haunted goldmine lolol.

I shall name this bug Double the haunted double the fun :xxd:

I did skip the cutscene and used warpten to speed up things for this video, but trust me, the bug happens even when you don't skip the cutscene and even when you don't use any cheats.

Mission 3

- aaaaaaaah whaaat just happened, why did Jaina just transformed into a dreadlord during the cutscene and then stays that way lol
Ok after reading all the comments i understand, but i still feel like it wasn't really explained that well, so the player can get very confused with it.

- invul wisps all over the place
invul wisp.png
unless they are meant to be invul.

Mission 4

- Seeing the tree of life running at that fast speed in the cutscene was both hilarious and terrifying at the same time lol
Speedy tree gonzales:
- There should be "the undead" instead of "the mortals" no?
wrong.png

I can't lie, i had fun playing through the campaign with this race swap twist thing, even tho most missions were almost if not identical to the original tho, which is bad by design, makes the campaign boring by default, but i also understood that was your idea from the beginning so i guess is fine, it wouldn't be so bad to be implemented more unique and new units, spells, creeps, and other things to the campaign to make it a bit more fresh.

My other negatives about the campaign was also the fact that the enemies were just too easy to kill, i played on hard but it really felt like i was playing on very easy, like you said, this might be because we already played the original campaigns so we know what's up but still even then, it was waaaay too easy, i guess this is why i got bored after the first missions, the difficulty was too easy, i even managed to kill both elf bases in that one mission where you need to wait 30 minutes for Uther :gg:

I suggest increasing the number of enemy elf and human units in all missions, especially for hard difficulty.

Even tho i liked how you changed the voices of some characters to sound more like their new aspects, this should have been done to all voice lines, but of course that would take ages and also letting the old voice lines from the og campaign doesn't really work because of the race swap, it kinda works for arthas i guess but that's it, so i suggest you either remove all of the voice lines in the cutscenes or you change them to sound more like their new selves, similar of how you did with the new Jaina the dreadlord in the cutscenes in mission 4.

One thing i liked and got me by surprise was the last cutscene and new mission with the king, i was just thinking what you were gonna do with the last cutscene since that one was the only animated cutscene that you cannot change unless you are a god at movie making and editing lol, so removing it all together and creating a normal one instead with in game gameplay as a cutscene was a nice idea, i liked it.

Having to fight the king with arthas was also a great idea, new things like this can help the campaign a lot by making it a little more fresh, this is exactly what the players want to see when they play custom campaigns.

Talking about the fight, this was the only mission where i actually died in the whole campaign :gg: since i had to get used to the new spells of the reborn arthas, i liked them tho, and the fight was decent, with the runes that kept spawning, and the new ability /ultimate with that horn was cool, being able to dodge spells and to remove debuffs, made the fight interesting and engaging, so that was great.

!!!Important: After i went back and did a few more tests i noticed something huge, i think i found out why the missions were so easy, basically even if you select hard difficulty before opening the campaign, the difficulty will switch back to normal after you finish the first mission, i found out this because it seemed weird that the blood mage in the second mission was only level 2, after i tested the mission again, selected hard difficulty, and started the second mission without going in the first mission, i found out that the blood mage is lvl 6 now instead of lvl 2 hmmmmmmmm

So this means that in order to play all missions on hard you have to exit the campaign after every mission and select hard and then select the mission you want to play, if you finish a mission and click continue, the next mission will always be on normal, yea, pretty bad glitch!

Overall this project of yours is very unique, interesting and pretty funny, it has a lot of potential!
I wish you the best in finishing this big Alternate war3 project! And also thanks for keeping the War3 custom maps/campaigns community alive!

My rating for this custom campaign is a B+

Last edited:
So this means that in order to play all missions on hard you have to exit the campaign after every mission and select hard and then select the mission you want to play, if you finish a mission and click continue, the next mission will always be on normal, yea, pretty bad glitch!
This is a hidden bug that has been plaguing Custom Campaigns since forever :D

~Short Review~
I played on war3 version 1.31

Mission 2

- The haunted gold mine is bugged in this mission, after the cutscene with the blood mage and uther ends, for some reason when i tell an acolyte to go to mine gold it says the mine isn't haunted, even tho i still have 4 other acolytes mining from it, and after i take them away and put them to mine the same thing happens, only after i haunted the already haunted mine they can go and mine again, pretty funny bug.
After the second haunted mine was built on top of the old one i also discovered i can put more acolytes on the same mine, so i ended up having 9 acolytes mining from 1 single haunted goldmine lolol.

I shall name this bug Double the haunted double the fun :xxd:

I did skip the cutscene and used warpten to speed up things for this video, but trust me, the bug happens even when you don't skip the cutscene and even when you don't use any cheats.

Mission 3

- aaaaaaaah whaaat just happened, why did Jaina just transformed into a dreadlord during the cutscene and then stays that way lol
Ok after reading all the comments i understand, but i still feel like it wasn't really explained that well, so the player can get very confused with it.

- invul wisps all over the place unless they are meant to be invul.

Mission 4

- Seeing the tree of life running at that fast speed in the cutscene was both hilarious and terrifying at the same time lol
Speedy tree gonzales:
- There should be "the undead" instead of "the mortals" no?

I can't lie, i had fun playing through the campaign with this race swap twist thing, even tho most missions were almost if not identical to the original tho, which is bad by design, makes the campaign boring by default, but i also understood that was your idea from the beginning so i guess is fine, it wouldn't be so bad to be implemented more unique and new units, spells, creeps, and other things to the campaign to make it a bit more fresh.

My other negatives about the campaign was also the fact that the enemies were just too easy to kill, i played on hard but it really felt like i was playing on very easy, like you said, this might be because we already played the original campaigns so we know what's up but still even then, it was waaaay too easy, i guess this is why i got bored after the first missions, the difficulty was too easy, i even managed to kill both elf bases in that one mission where you need to wait 30 minutes for Uther :gg:

I suggest increasing the number of enemy elf and human units in all missions, especially for hard difficulty.

Even tho i liked how you changed the voices of some characters to sound more like their new aspects, this should have been done to all voice lines, but of course that would take ages and also letting the old voice lines from the og campaign doesn't really work because of the race swap, it kinda works for arthas i guess but that's it, so i suggest you either remove all of the voice lines in the cutscenes or you change them to sound more like their new selves, similar of how you did with the new Jaina the dreadlord in the cutscenes in mission 4.

One thing i liked and got me by surprise was the last cutscene and new mission with the king, i was just thinking what you were gonna do with the last cutscene since that one was the only animated cutscene that you cannot change unless you are a god at movie making and editing lol, so removing it all together and creating a normal one instead with in game gameplay as a cutscene was a nice idea, i liked it.

Having to fight the king with arthas was also a great idea, new things like this can help the campaign a lot by making it a little more fresh, this is exactly what the players want to see when they play custom campaigns.

Talking about the fight, this was the only mission where i actually died in the whole campaign :gg: since i had to get used to the new spells of the reborn arthas, i liked them tho, and the fight was decent, with the runes that kept spawning, and the new ability /ultimate with that horn was cool, being able to dodge spells and to remove debuffs, made the fight interesting and engaging, so that was great.

!!!Important: After i went back and did a few more tests i noticed something huge, i think i found out why the missions were so easy, basically even if you select hard difficulty before opening the campaign, the difficulty will switch back to normal after you finish the first mission, i found out this because it seemed weird that the blood mage in the second mission was only level 2, after i tested the mission again, selected hard difficulty, and started the second mission without going in the first mission, i found out that the blood mage is lvl 6 now instead of lvl 2 hmmmmmmmm

Overall this project of yours is very unique, interesting and pretty funny, it has a lot of potential!
I wish you the best in finishing this big Alternate war3 project! And also thanks for keeping the War3 custom maps/campaigns community alive!

My rating for this custom campaign is a B+
Since you might have played it on normal, it is possible that is why missions might seem too easy. In my opinion, I think the hard difficulty is just as hard as the original campaigns'. I played through the campaign a lot and I never had the difficulty changing and the haunted gold mine problem. The reason why I said Mortals instead of Undead is because in the original Undead are attacking the Living (H, O, NE), while in this version, the Night Elves are attacking the (U, H, O) group and the best name for them would be the mortals since Night Elves are immortals (Arthas line about wanting to live forever in the next campaign really fits with this theme). Wisps are supposed to be invulnerable, so your units don't attack them. They are only there for the theme, not for the gameplay. I hate reading subtitles with no voice lines, so in these campaigns I've tried to reuse as many voicelines as I could. It also helped reduce the development time.

Also in all my alternate campaigns, in any map you can type -d to check the difficulty!

Also, since people already know the story, the only way to make it interesting other than new gameplay features is by adding unexpected plot twists in the story:
Arthas using Death Pact on villagers, Jaina's true nature
It doesn't need any explanation, you can make up your own ideas for why some things are the way they are.

Level 12
Since now we know about the difficulty glitch and the fact that there is a command that can show the player what difficulty he is playing i suggest that u should implement a tip every time the mission starts:
for example, TIP: "type -d to see the difficulty, and if you want to play on hard you have to exit the campaign, re-enter it, select hard again then choose the mission you want to play with hard."

This way the player knows what's up and isn't tricked like me, or fix the difficulty glitch.

Since now we know about the difficulty glitch and the fact that there is a command that can show the player what difficulty he is playing i suggest that u should implement a tip every time the mission starts:
for example, TIP: "type -d to see the difficulty, and if you want to play on hard you have to exit the campaign, re-enter it, select hard again then choose the mission you want to play with hard."

This way the player knows what's up and isn't tricked like me, or fix the difficulty glitch.
I can't fix the glitch since it's not mine. It's a bug in the game that changes the difficulty to normal instead of carrying it over. The reason why I used a command is so you don't see the difficulty each time you start a chapter. This way it's optional and with only 2 characters to type it's not that hard to check it.

Level 3
Hello there, I installed it and put it on my custom campaign files, but it's not visible ingame. I know that I'm using wc3 1.28.5, but usually I can still play the campaign with close to no extra bugs. But to my wc3 it's like just not appearing, same as if I put some random file in the folder.

Do you think this issue is only due to me not having a 1.31 version of the game or is there some other problems to it ? I kind of already got 2 differents versions of wc3 and I'm a bit lazy to get a third. If you have some other solutions I would like you to help me out.

Level 28
Hello there, I installed it and put it on my custom campaign files, but it's not visible ingame. I know that I'm using wc3 1.28.5, but usually I can still play the campaign with close to no extra bugs. But to my wc3 it's like just not appearing, same as if I put some random file in the folder.

Do you think this issue is only due to me not having a 1.31 version of the game or is there some other problems to it ? I kind of already got 2 differents versions of wc3 and I'm a bit lazy to get a third. If you have some other solutions I would like you to help me out.
Yes, you are right. This campaign requires 1.31. However, as I mentioned earlier on the following posts:
Patch 1.31.1. Backup Files
Patch 1.31.1. Backup Files
It's not recommended you use 1.28 along with 1.31.
1.28 doesn't work because the "User Game Save Folder" string is made with old format. As a result, your user profile won't be saved.
1.26 will "ruin" the game because of different "video" settings.

Get 1.31.1! There is no other way around it. I sometimes use things from the newer patches like the 12 new player colors, 2 new abilities and new triggers. So this may be the reason why it doesn't allow you to play. In mission 1 I used a newer trigger. If the game allowed to play it, the trigger wouldn't work, and it will be very awkward. Also, if you plan on playing this, you should start with Exodus of the Alliance as that is the first campaign story-wise.

Level 3
Well thank you both for answering so fast. Is there a guide or anything that explains how to install that version ? When I tried to install it on a website, it was reforged version in which you can't do custom campaign.

Well thank you both for answering so fast. Is there a guide or anything that explains how to install that version ? When I tried to install it on a website, it was reforged version in which you can't do custom campaign.
Look in my post at the top of the page. Below the purple logo, there is red text with an orange link saying 1.31.1. Click the link and download from there.

Level 23
I don't have much to contribute in addition to what others have already commented, just say that I found it quite an entertaining racial swap job. The least I liked are the voices, I honestly think it would be better without a voice, it must have taken you work to adapt the tone but I don't know, it doesn't quite fit. I would also have liked to see more changes of skills and maps, I'm not saying different maps, I mean deeper modifications.

Anyway, the result is good, it's fun to see the adaptations and the turning of the tables.

Regards.