• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Techtree Contest #18 - MtG Color Pairs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 27
hive-logo-small-remoosed-png.373032

techtree-png.373694
contest-png.373719
png.373678
1-png.373674
8-png.373682

tc18-banner.png

Based on Magic: the Gathering's coloured mana system, design a faction that represents the philosophies associated with 2 colours, as suggested in the table below:

Azorius_Logo.png
White-BlueWhen put together, White's focus on community and peace often combines with Blue's endless search for knowledge and perfection.

However, what both White and Blue can lack is a 'moral good'. It seeks a perfect society, but this can come at a cost for those who don't conform to its ideals.

White-Blue guild: Azorius Senate

Useful guide: White-Blue design
Dimir_Logo.png
Blue-BlackWhen Blue's thirst for knowledge meets Black's self-centeredness, the result is a tendency to use knowledge as a weapon. It is related to secrets and forbidden knowledge.

A very secretive color pair, Blue and Black want to know everything, regardless of the cost, but this can often warp into paranoia and greed.

Blue-Black guild: House Dimir

Useful guide: Blue-Black design
Rakdos_Logo.png
Black-RedRed is the colour of impulsive passion, and Black is the colour of power by any means. When put together, each colour's chaotic and cruel aspects are dialled up.

Black-Red typically prefer to overwhelm opponents at all cost, often at the expense of their own creatures and even their users' life total.

Black-Red guild: Cult of Rakdos

Useful guide: Black-Red design
Gruul_Logo.png
Red-GreenRed-Green is very unthinking, considering the fact that it has red's impulsiveness and Green's preference for instinct over the mind. Red's passion and Green's emphasis on nature make the two the colours of raw, bestial instinct.

Red and Green is a very combat-centric colour pairing, often utilising big creatures to smash through any of the other colours' defences. Its biggest weakness is its emphasis on "Might is Right", depending on overwhelming opponents with pure strength.

Red-Green guild: Gruul Clans

Useful guide: Red-Green design
Selesnya_Logo.png
Green-WhiteGreen's nurturing and White's societal focus makes it probably the colour pair closest to achieving perfect harmony. White and Green strive for the entire community to grow together.

The downside to Green and White is that it's the most associated with maintaining the status quo. White loves society, but Green loves very gradual growth as part of the natural order – its strategies work, so it's going to keep doing it with little in the way of flexibility.

Green-White guild: Selesnya Conclave

Useful guide: Green-White design
Orzhov_Logo.png
White-BlackTake White's focus on structure and hierarchy and add in some of Black's drive for power and control, and the result is what the White and Black colour pair represents: corruption and oppression.

It may also represent the balance of good and evil, where the world is seen as a grey area in times of war or strife. One of the colour pair's biggest problems is that it can frequently be too oppressive.

White-Black guild: Orzhov Syndicate

Useful guide: White-Black design
Izzet_Logo.png
Blue-RedAfter combining Blue's desire for progress and Red's impulsiveness, Blue-Red is a color pair that focuses on innovation. Obsessive, brilliant, and frenetic in equal parts, Blue and Red is all about pursuing your whims to their logical conclusion.

However, one of the problems of Blue and Red is that it struggles to commit to anything. After all, why settle when there's something new to do? Its focus on instants and sorceries can sometimes come at the cost of having a board state comparable to other colours.

Blue-Red guild: Izzet League

Useful guide: Blue-Red design
Golgari_Logo.png
Black-GreenThe life cycle is central to Black and Green's conflict. While Green sees death as a natural part of life to be respected, Black sees it simultaneously as another tool to use, and its ultimate enemy to escape from.

Black-Green capitalizes on creatures that slowly grow over time or those that have special effects when they die. Black and Green's weakness is that it needs the dead for its plans to work.

Black-Green guild: Golgari Swarm

Useful guide: Black-Green design
Boros_Logo.png
Red-WhiteRed and White represent the passionate desire to protect something you hold dear. It is the enforcement of justice, as a mixture of Red's readiness to take action and White's insistence on honor.

Arguably one of the biggest problems is that Red and White's focus on having a few, glorious protectors to get the job done.

Red-White guild: Boros Legion

Useful guide: Red-White design
Simic_Logo.png
Green-BlueBlue and Green are the pair of natural science, with Blue seeking to not only understand nature, but also perfect it through research, selective breeding, or even genetic mutation.

Blue uses Green's propensity for consistent growth as proof that nature isn't 'finished' yet. The core weakness is Blue's obsession with perfecting nature, which leaves this pair pretty penned into their strategies.

Green-Blue guild: Simic Combine

Useful guide: Green-Blue design
  • Entries that play well in the melee format will score higher than entries that do not.
  • You may only choose ONE pair.
  • The colour pair you pick does not determine the visual appearance of your faction. It is chiefly a philosophical descriptor.
  • You are not required to follow Magic: The Gathering's actual lore or ideas.
  • Your faction has no prerequisites for how many structures, heroes or units it must contain at a minimum or maximum.
  • Submissions must specify whether they are intended for HD or SD.

other_rules_and_conditions-png.311513

• Submissions must follow the Map Submission Rules.
  • Submissions may not begin development before the contest start date.
  • You must download the provided template map, make the edits, and resubmit it as entry.
  • Post at least 2 media (images or videos) of your workflow Works in Progress before the deadline.
  • The map must be playable in battle net.
  • Using imports is allowed as long as it follows Resource Submission Rules (Models, skins, icons, spells).
  • The submission must be unprotected so that it's openable via the normal WorldEditor.
  • Teamwork is not allowed.
    • Testing and feedback aren't considered teamwork, and are allowed.
  • Upload your final entry to the Map Resource Section, and indicate that it's an Entry for the 18th Techtree Contest. Link to your bundle in the contest thread.
Breaking any of these rules may lead to punishment in the judgement score, up to disqualification from the contest, depending on the weight of the issue. In case of doubts towards a certain rule, you are very encouraged to discuss it in the contest thread so others and judges may help with sorting it out.

Helpful Links: UI-Custom Race System by MyPad, How to create Full-working custom race, Guide to make a Race. (Provided by VeljkoM)

other_prizes-png.311512

• 1st place: 750 experience points
  • 2nd place: 600 experience points
  • 3rd place: 450 experience points
  • Entry: 150 experience points
  • Judge: 50 experience points per entry
The three winners will receive an award icon representing the winning entry.​

other_judges-png.311510

other_contest_judging-png.311506

Theme
How well the various elements of the Faction (including aesthetics, gameplay & design) fit together in a thematic manner such that they feel like they are representative of the given Faction, as well as that of the chosen Contest Theme. Well-fitting & polished aesthetics which complement a cohesive theme will be graded well; poorly-considered or lacking thematic elements will result in a poor score./25

Gameplay
How well the various elements of the Faction work together to achieve the tactical synergy & gameplay style the Faction has, as well as how efficiently each element performs its particular function. Strategic systems that endow an identity to the Faction, comprehensive & well-though-out roles which complement a cohesive Faction will be graded well; ill-considered, insufficient or over-compensating roles will lose points./30

Creativity
How original the design of the Faction is in terms of innovative ideas, clever implementations, or creative concepts. Innovation and creativity will be rewarded; extensive re-use of existing elements in vanilla factions & poor originality will result in a poor score./45
/100

• Judgement: 70%
  • Poll: 30%
FinalScore = (30*Reached_Votes/POSSIBLE_VOTES) + (70*Average_Judge_Score/POSSIBLE_SCORE)​

other_dates_and_deadline-png.311507

Start date: 26 November 2021 GMT.
End date: 26 January 2022 GMT (day is included).

Extension: - - -
More information about extensions in the Arena rules.

Assigned Staff: @Riki

Previous Contest | Poll | Results

Attachments

• (4)TwistedMeadows.w3x
    208.5 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Level 27
Last edited:

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
AHhhhhhhhhh, I really like the graphics for the colors.
I might start to whip something together but I have literary zero ideas so far, will re-examine the options and see.

Don't count on it being a finished product either way, I tend to run out of motivation real quick.. but a fun wip or two seem feasible.

edit: I can import systems from other maps right? I made a custom race selection system for an old contest (which I never finished ;P)

If I can manage to push through with my entry, I'll go with Blue/Green as well.
Faction Name: Sentinels of Selection

Faction Background:
The Sentinels of Selection are composed of individuals with a fascination towards the natural surroundings around them, while also acknowledging the need for adaptation towards an ever-changing environment. To that end, those who join this faction will inevitably evolve, sometimes constantly, to adapt to the situation at hand. Understanding the need for technology in the future, the Sentinels of Selection strive to utilize it to the fullest extent while following the natural order of things. It is through technology that they can adapt as quickly as they do to the environment around them.

They are primarily comprised of creatures from Kalimdor and Ashenvale, with the Night Elves being their forefront leaders. Although they do not indulge in the same worship as their night elven brethren do, rest assured that their interests are aligned. If one even so much as expresses a desire to be remembered in their world, it cannot be so, for they have remained secret and cloaked in a mystical veil of the unknown. Perhaps it is the magical essence of the Titan within Azeroth that they have not been noticed yet in the current world, even by Malfurion. Perhaps an elder god Ret'konomi'kon had not yet unmasked their presence. But, whatever happens to the world, know that they have sworn to protect it at all costs.

Let me present the game design of the faction !

Faction background
For long, magic and tech never got along. They are unstable, experimental, cryptic, uncompatible and spread fear in the minds as they see the twisted dimension of knowledge it implies. Until a rich technocrat decided to found an institute assembling the brightest scientists and mage from all the corner of the world. Little by little, these minds created huge revolution upon civilization. However these birthing innovation stroke angst among countries. At first an attempt to seek a calm dismantlement of the institute was made, but the greed and thirst of power of the entities began to create rivalry between them. The technocrat promptly reaffirmed its independence and created his own country far to the untamable silver mountains called Anorar.

The harsh conditions made progress inevitable, and only the most out-of-the-box minds must bring salvation. The dictat was born as an elective monarchy with no classes and social ranking between the dictator and the rest. Pure skills made all the effort. For years, large advances of technology and magic grew its population and infrastructure, bringing shelter to political dissidents, ruined nobles, betrayed families and exotic figureheads. It's territory colonized the barren lands through a great deal of trains and railway systems. Nobody wanted these frigid lands, until the extended Anorar's prospects figured out how to extract rich minerals from deep down. Oil, silver, gold, iron, copper, tin, precious and semi-precious gems, and an abundance of rare-earth elements which were until now only legends.

Generations go on, a cult of personality incited youngsters to accomplish great deeds to be recognized as such. The pantheon is created. Rich investors and oil magnate joined the dictat by pure interests, giving precious resources to the hungry knowledge engine not stopping for a while. Art and culture flourished, as erratic minds joined together to create heavy mimetic networked communication. We can observe Meme Lords getting along with mad scientists, twisted mages and young warriors.

At last, this rich and eccentric country attracted a lot of plunderers, foreign influence and crusades. That's why the dictat has a strong military tradition of defending their wealth, shock and aw every threat ; sometimes strategically raiding enemy infrastructure to crumble their offensive. But some says that their collective minds fused together may be their downfall once the main nodes shatters...

I am keen on Blue/White, but the original idea would be not mine and that can create controversies on the matter of 'no teamwork'.

I decided to pick Red/White then. Based on the faction in one of older works that I used to collaborate with others named Darkness Returns I v2.3 and I use the faction that is conceptually exclusively mine: Phoenix Flames. Lore wise, I am on edge if this fits Red/White or Black/White, but the depiction of Black/White being closer to oppression seems a bit too much for this faction, so Red/White.

Also, the tech tree I am planning is quite detached from the one provided in the campaign, given that I intend to provide this one with a more fleshed tech tree. The campaign shares too much of several abilities that the units don't seem more than some fire-happy casters.

Here's a background on the faction:

[PHOENIX FLAMES]
After acknowledging his past mistakes, Daffa the Phoenix decided to redeem himself and started to gather his followers during his past conflicts to create a faction that focus on preserving the order of the world from the shadows, collaborating with Lightning Blades as the only ally for the faction. Their goal is to eliminate the greater threats that most of the other factions are not aware of, as they are too occupied in their petty conflicts.

Phoenix Flames, to the other factions in Hazam, with exception of Lightning Blades, Hive Empire and Fallen Legion, is considered nothing more than myths and rumors. The faction utilizes the most powerful form of fiery magics that ever existed in the world, as well as crafting some of the most dangerous magics and devices that set fear into other factions that opposed them.

Some of the Phoenix Flames members are also intel units inside other factions. They provide information and supply the necessary addition to the cause, allowing the faction to effectively operate and even blend with others. The faction is also very secretive about their magic and devices, trying to prevent enemies from knowing them by eliminating them before they are aware of what is coming to them.

The Phoenix Flames also harnesses ancient and mythical beings to their cause, with Phoenix being a very prominent figure to the faction. This symbolizes their eternal desire to protect Hazam, and the fact that with their strength, extremely dangerous opponents to engage with.

Traits:
  • Long-range artilleries with an extremely devastating range of engagement.
  • Powerful and expensive units.
  • Capability to reverse-engineer another faction's technology or magic for their own.
  • Advanced usage of fire magic.
  • Heavy utilization on long-range strikes and rapid deployment in strategic positions.
Strengths:
  • High-aggression in late game, something other factions don't want to get involved with
  • Long-range, hard-to-response attacks
  • Can create anti-faction counters if allowed by an opponent
Weakness:
  • Expensive units
  • Most of the base-aggression units are available at Tier 3, making for a hard siege early-mid game
====

Not very fleshed yet, since I need to consider what can be inserted into the faction. We'll see how it goes though :D
Also, do inform me if this aligns with all the rules. I know some can argue that it doesn't fit the before contest date, but I intend on making this radically different than how they operate in the campaign and took the campaign as a basis for lore.

Level 35
I am keen on Blue/White, but the original idea would be not mine and that can create controversies on the matter of 'no teamwork'.

I decided to pick Red/White then. Based on the faction in one of older works that I used to collaborate with others named Darkness Returns I v2.3 and I use the faction that is conceptually exclusively mine: Phoenix Flames. Lore wise, I am on edge if this fits Red/White or Black/White, but the depiction of Black/White being closer to oppression seems a bit too much for this faction, so Red/White.

Also, the tech tree I am planning is quite detached from the one provided in the campaign, given that I intend to provide this one with a more fleshed tech tree. The campaign shares too much of several abilities that the units don't seem more than some fire-happy casters.

[PHOENIX FLAMES]
After acknowledging his past mistakes, Daffa the Phoenix decided to redeem himself and started to gather his followers during his past conflicts to create a faction that focus on preserving the order of the world from the shadows, collaborating with Lightning Blades as the only ally for the faction. Their goal is to eliminate the greater threats that most of the other factions are not aware of, as they are too occupied in their petty conflicts.

Phoenix Flames, to the other factions in Hazam, with exception of Lightning Blades, Hive Empire and Fallen Legion, is considered nothing more than myths and rumors. The faction utilizes the most powerful form of fiery magics that ever existed in the world, as well as crafting some of the most dangerous magics and devices that set fear into other factions that opposed them.

Some of the Phoenix Flames members are also intel units inside other factions. They provide information and supply the necessary addition to the cause, allowing the faction to effectively operate and even blend with others. The faction is also very secretive about their magic and devices, trying to prevent enemies from knowing them by eliminating them before they are aware of what is coming to them.

The Phoenix Flames also harnesses ancient and mythical beings to their cause, with Phoenix being a very prominent figure to the faction. This symbolizes their eternal desire to protect Hazam, and the fact that with their strength, extremely dangerous opponents to engage with.

Traits:
  • Capability to reverse-engineer another faction's technology or magic for their own.
  • Heavy utilization on long-range strikes and rapid deployment in strategic positions.
Strengths:
  • High-aggression in late game, something other factions don't want to get involved with
Weakness:
  • Expensive units
  • Most of the base-aggression units are available at Tier 3, making for a hard siege early-mid game
====

Not very fleshed yet, since I need to consider what can be inserted into the faction. We'll see how it goes though :D
Also, do inform me if this aligns with all the rules. I know some can argue that it doesn't fit the before contest date, but I intend on making this radically different than how they operate in the campaign and took the campaign as a basis for lore.
That should be fine, I think. Even if it was a concept another had come up with before, it's probably still fine as long as you're making it yourself for the contest, but in this instance the concept is exclusively yours so that should be even better.

Level 27

[PHOENIX FLAMES]

Traits:
Strengths:
Weakness:
  • Expensive units
====

@Wazzz is right, you can pick up an old concept as long as you recreate it again using different ideas and moving it towards the contest theme.

Remember, retaking a concept idea is not the same as retaking an existing faction.

Also, that concept seems to fit a Red/White description.

Last edited:
Level 14
In the white/blue corner we have...

The Machinemen

Assimilator - Worker unit. Can harvest trees at an accelerated rate but costs 3 food. Can also repair units and structures. Has the Reform ability.
  • Reform: Instantly destroys a tree and converts some of that tree's health to mana for the mothership.
Surveyor – Weak scout unit. Can construct Surveillance Towers and cast the Warding ability.
  • Warding: Channeling. Causes the caster to become unresponsive and damage all nearby units every second. Also grants bonus armour. Lasts 15 seconds.
  • Surveillance Towers: To be continued...
Mothership – Main unit with a limit of 1. Also functions as a town-hall and builds Assimilators and Surveyors. Can build structures, harvest gold from gold mines, and cast abilities to disable enemies. Can also train and revive heroes. The Mothership will gain mana each time one of your units dies.
*Note: the Mothership will harvest gold in the form of a lazer beam that continuously harvests gold as long as the Mothership is in range of a gold mine no matter what it is doing. (moving, attacking, casting spells, etc.)

Watchman – Basic ranged infantry unit. Can learn the Reclamation ability. Can be upgraded to have increased attack range, attack speed, and turn rate.
  • Reclamation: When this unit dies return some of it's cost.
Peacemaker – Infantry tank unit for tier 1. Has the Pacification Armaments ability. Can learn the Lock-Up ability. Can be upgraded to have an increased health pool.
  • Pacification Armaments: When this unit attacks, the target will be slowed by 100% for 1 second. Does not work on heroes or units over level 3.
  • Lock-Up: Chanelling. Target becomes invulnerable and unable to move or cast spells. Lasts up to 10 seconds.
Arbiter - Incredibly fast caster unit that initially has the Reformat ability. Can learn the Robo-bomb ability. Initially cannot attack but can be upgraded to have one that drains mana instead of damaging health.
  • Reformat: Causes the target unit to be temporarily paused. If the target is mechanical, it will restore up to 50 health per second. If the target is non-mechanical it will take up to 25 damage per second. After the duration ends the target will have all buffs removed. Lasts 3 seconds.
  • Robo-Bomb: Hurls a specialized bomb at the target location. All enemies caught in the blast are knocked away from the Arbiter and suffer damage to their mana.
Preservator Supporting caster unit. Initially knows the Preserve ability and can be upgraded to learn the Purification Zone and Service Bots abilities.
  • Preserve: While active slows down the casters moement speed and causes it to receive all damage directed towards nearby allied units. While Preserve is active the caster receives reduced damage.
  • Purification Zone: All units inside the target area have all buffs removed. Lasts 3 seconds.
  • Service Bots: Summons 5 Service Bots that automatically repair nearby damaged friendly mechanical units for no cost. Lasts 30 seconds or until the Preservator is killed. Units can only repaired by 1 Service Bot at a time.
Depurated – Heavy assault unit. Initially has The Best of Both Worlds ability. Benefits from the Amelioration upgrade.
  • The Best of Both Worlds: This unit is considered both organic and mechanical and has a passive hit point regeneration rate.
  • Amelioration: Causes all ground attacks to stun mechanical units and structures and also increases the damage of the Depurated's ground attack.
Judge – Heavy t3 tank unit. Attacks cause explosions that deal large amounts of damage to structures but only a small amount of damage to units.

Level 17
so lets see how this work, im in, i was thinks about blue gree combinations of elements but i take for balance red/blue elements, all this aspect remember me old game battleforge where was for aspect frost(defensive)flame(aggresive)shadow(risky)and nature(contrloling) where you can combine all aspects, or not, and name for race is Burning"s frost souls clan

Level 18
In the white/blue corner we have...

The Machinemen

Assimilator - Worker unit. Can harvest trees at an accelerated rate but costs 3 food. Can also repair units and structures. Has the Reform ability.
  • Reform: Instantly destroys a tree and converts some of that tree's health to mana for the mothership.
Surveyor – Weak scout unit. Can construct Surveillance Towers and cast the Warding ability.
  • Warding: Channeling. Causes the caster to become unresponsive and damage all nearby units every second. Also grants bonus armour. Lasts 15 seconds.
  • Surveillance Towers: To be continued...
Mothership – Main unit with a limit of 1. Also functions as a town-hall and builds Assimilators and Surveyors. Can build structures, harvest gold from gold mines, and cast abilities to disable enemies. Can also train and revive heroes. The Mothership will gain mana each time one of your units dies.
*Note: the Mothership will harvest gold in the form of a lazer beam that continuously harvests gold as long as the Mothership is in range of a gold mine no matter what it is doing. (moving, attacking, casting spells, etc.)

Watchman – Basic ranged infantry unit. Can learn the Reclamation ability. Can be upgraded to have increased attack range, attack speed, and turn rate.
  • Reclamation: When this unit dies return some of it's cost.
Peacemaker – Infantry tank unit for tier 1. Has the Pacification Armaments ability. Can learn the Lock-Up ability. Can be upgraded to have an increased health pool.
  • Pacification Armaments: When this unit attacks, the target will be slowed by 100% for 1 second. Does not work on heroes or units over level 3.
  • Lock-Up: Chanelling. Target becomes invulnerable and unable to move or cast spells. Lasts up to 10 seconds.
Arbiter - Incredibly fast caster unit that initially has the Reformat ability. Can learn the Robo-bomb ability. Initially cannot attack but can be upgraded to have one that drains mana instead of damaging health.
  • Reformat: Causes the target unit to be temporarily paused. If the target is mechanical, it will restore up to 50 health per second. If the target is non-mechanical it will take up to 25 damage per second. After the duration ends the target will have all buffs removed. Lasts 3 seconds.
  • Robo-Bomb: Hurls a specialized bomb at the target location. All enemies caught in the blast are knocked away from the Arbiter and suffer damage to their mana.
Preservator Supporting caster unit. Initially knows the Preserve ability and can be upgraded to learn the Purification Zone and Service Bots abilities.
  • Preserve: While active slows down the casters moement speed and causes it to receive all damage directed towards nearby allied units. While Preserve is active the caster receives reduced damage.
  • Purification Zone: All units inside the target area have all buffs removed. Lasts 3 seconds.
  • Service Bots: Summons 5 Service Bots that automatically repair nearby damaged friendly mechanical units for no cost. Lasts 30 seconds or until the Preservator is killed. Units can only repaired by 1 Service Bot at a time.
Depurated – Heavy assault unit. Initially has The Best of Both Worlds ability. Benefits from the Amelioration upgrade.
  • The Best of Both Worlds: This unit is considered both organic and mechanical and has a passive hit point regeneration rate.
  • Amelioration: Causes all ground attacks to stun mechanical units and structures and also increases the damage of the Depurated's ground attack.
Judge – Heavy t3 tank unit. Attacks cause explosions that deal large amounts of damage to structures but only a small amount of damage to units.
Nice control oriented faction.:thumbs_up: On first reading I got a few small questions.

General: ¿which units are mechanical? ¿or an T3 upgrade turns some units mechanical?
Surveyor's Watchtower: ¿will this building/ward be able to detect invisible units?
Peacemaker's Lock Ability: ¿can it target heroes? ¿reduced duration and effect on heroes?

Flying light/heavy unit: maybe I am missing it, but I didn't saw any flyers. As a quick idea, you could add summoned uncontrollable robot light flyers as scouts in an area, and gave them an upgrade to see invisible units. Or other type of summoned mini-robot flyer that is build in groups and is not directly controlled (to avoid micromanagement of a cheap unit)

ISL

ISL

Level 13
Really impressive works, everyone! Can't wait to see more. :peasant-thumbs-up-cheers:

Cue Lovecraftian horror music, cause I'm going Black+Green:
Here's a very early screenshot. The race's name is Black Naga for short.
TC18_ISL_Screenshot001.png

I will also post a list of random abilities:
-Devour - Consume a nearby corpse to grow stronger. Upon devouring a corpse, Hydra immediately restores health and gains Growth points, which increase her maximal health and armor. Corpses with higher maximal health grant more Growth points.
-Life Sacrifice - Instantly kill one of your own units to heal all allies around it over time. The amount of health restored equals to the sacrificed unit's maximal health.
-Blightborn Parasite - Infect the targeted enemy unit with a Blightborn Parasite. Infected units will spawn multiple Blightborne upon death. The number of spawned parasites scales with the infected unit’s maximal health.
-Scavenger Swarm - Use all corpses in the targeted area to spawn a swarm of crustacean scavengers. Spawns 1 Scavenger from every corpse in the area.
-Corpse Tentacles - Cause tentacles to sprout from random corpses in the targeted area. Tentacles will attack nearby enemies, restoring health and mana of the Ancient Overlord with every attack.

Please tell me if I am going in the right direction with these. I am worried I am not conveying the full philosophy behind this color pair.
The more I read about it, the more confused I get. :xxd:

Hence why I have the feeling that I am missing something besides the "Growth over time" or "Use death as a weapon" thematics.
The internet says that Black+Green is all about life and death or rot and rebirth. So, if Black+Green is "Necromancy meets Druidism", then I feel like I am really lacking on the "Druidism" part.
Is this a real issue or should I not worry about it? Am I doing enough justice to the chosen theme?
Having someone to consult with would be real helpful.

Really impressive works, everyone! Can't wait to see more. :peasant-thumbs-up-cheers:

View attachment 391424

-Devour - Consume a nearby corpse to grow stronger. Upon devouring a corpse, Hydra immediately restores health and gains Growth points, which increase her maximal health and armor. Corpses with higher maximal health grant more Growth points.
-Life Sacrifice - Instantly kill one of your own units to heal all allies around it over time. The amount of health restored equals to the sacrificed unit's maximal health.
-Blightborn Parasite - Infect the targeted enemy unit with a Blightborn Parasite. Infected units will spawn multiple Blightborne upon death. The number of spawned parasites scales with the infected unit’s maximal health.
-Scavenger Swarm - Use all corpses in the targeted area to spawn a swarm of crustacean scavengers. Spawns 1 Scavenger from every corpse in the area.
-Corpse Tentacles - Cause tentacles to sprout from random corpses in the targeted area. Tentacles will attack nearby enemies, restoring health and mana of the Ancient Overlord with every attack.

Please tell me if I am going in the right direction with these. I am worried I am not conveying the full philosophy behind this color pair.

Hence why I have the feeling that I am missing something besides the "Growth over time" or "Use death as a weapon" thematics.
The internet says that Black+Green is all about life and death or rot and rebirth. So, if Black+Green is "Necromancy meets Druidism", then I feel like I am really lacking on the "Druidism" part.
Is this a real issue or should I not worry about it? Am I doing enough justice to the chosen theme?

I would say that Black/Green is ideal to represent a merciless underwater world. The concept of Black is parasitism and nature is full of parasites. They infect a target and slowly eat it from the inside out, growing, all for its own selfish purpose. Basically Black/Green can be something like survival of the fittest on steroids.

For more info, @Kyrbi0

Level 27

View attachment 391424

I found some useful design guides for each color pair, so I added them to the table in the main post, check them out. 😉

Level 14
General: ¿which units are mechanical? ¿or an T3 upgrade turns some units mechanical?
I never even considered upgrading units to be mechanical later on. The core idea, which I didn't really convey too well (at all really but w/e), was that this is a race of androids with the Depurated unit based off this guy. Having them be sort of mad scientists who turn themselves into cyborgs until they're more machine than man is a much more flavourful concept though and I'll absolutely consider this. :wgrin:

Surveyor's Watchtower: ¿will this building/ward be able to detect invisible units?
Detect invisible units and more! An idea I'm flirting around with right now is having it also add to the mothership's cast range. As in the mothership will have global range spells but they'd only affect units near a surveillance tower or the mothership itself.

Peacemaker's Lock Ability: ¿can it target heroes? ¿reduced duration and effect on heroes?
Just a reduced duration on heroes. I was thinking something like 2 seconds. When the race becomes playable and I go through testing this will most probably change to avoid a "permastunned" scenario.

Flying light/heavy unit: maybe I am missing it, but I didn't saw any flyers. As a quick idea, you could add summoned uncontrollable robot light flyers as scouts in an area, and gave them an upgrade to see invisible units. Or other type of summoned mini-robot flyer that is build in groups and is not directly controlled (to avoid micromanagement of a cheap unit)
Flyers weren't included in the draft because designing them isn't fun time consuming and I'm still just in the planning stage. Having summoned flyers could be a great spell for Surveyors though. Or having a tier 3 ship that attacks kinda like carriers from starcraft.

Level 17
first look on custom race and some info about fist units
aas.png

1.Shido vanguard.png Shido vanguard- standart Melee T1 units, is so vulneaber and weak, but cheap, his pover is in numbers of them
Frozen grave.png
special ability frost grave-After Shido vanguard is slayed, he buried into frost grave that freeze all enemies closed tu him for 3 seconds.

oni.png
Oni- Siege T2 units, usefull agains buildings or siege tanks, but hes vulnebire to, special ability is passive burning strike,
Burning archer.png
Burning archer- second T1 archer units, good agains sniping enemies from back, got 2 abilitys
akori ability.png
burning bones- passive ability enemies thats close to him is damaged for 5 lives a second.
ball of flame.png
Balls of flame, active abilitys, increase attack be 5 damage.
souls.png
warmed soul- worker for Burning"s frost souls clan

ISL

ISL

Level 13
The concept of Black is parasitism and nature is full of parasites.
And green is about harmony and interconection. So, symbiotic parasites?
I found some useful design guides for each color pair, so I added them to the table in the main post, check them out. 😉
Thank you! That helps a lot.

Here's another wip:
Zombie Fishmen:
Black Naga have a unique way of producing their basic melee unit.
Instead of training them at a building, they turn their worker units into zombies.
Their workers can also be mass produced from their Supply buildings.

Base Overview:
Black Naga buildings, which are constructed near an Abyssal Ziggurat, are automatically protected by tentacles.
full

Army Overview:
A large portion of their army is comprsied of summoned units: undead Skeletons, Parasites, etc.
Such Token creatures are spawned on other units' deaths or from corpses.
full

Level 17
Finished now the most strong one, after this one left 2 more units and one hero from race

First of the fires.png

flame one.png
First of the fires- only T3 range unit, the mighty flame lord created from the first fire before ancient times,
this legendary creature it brings terror to the hearts of its enemies, have 2 abilitys

cry of fear.png
Cry of fear- autocas spell for 100 mana and cooldown 60 second, that damage targer enemie for 100 HP, and first of the fires increase hp regeneration by 0.5, its permament (personal note its balance cuz other t3 units are much strongers and have much more hp, Mountain giant 1600hp, frost wyrm 1350 hp, damage 135...)
afraid of monster.png
Afraid of monster- passive ability Decreased damage that take first of the fires be 20% from ranger attack and 40% from magic attack.

Level 14
The machinemen race has made a lot of progress this week, just didn't have the energy to post WIPs yet. Might end up dumping a bunch of pics and details of new unit designs this weekend.

Finished now the most strong one, after this one left 2 more units and one hero from race

View attachment 391921
1. View attachment 391922 First of the fires- only T3 range unit, the mighty flame lord created from the first fire before ancient times,
this legendary creature it brings terror to the hearts of its enemies, have 2 abilitys

View attachment 391923 Cry of fear- autocas spell for 100 mana and cooldown 60 second, that damage targer enemie for 100 HP, and first of the fires increase hp regeneration by 0.5, its permament (personal note its balance cuz other t3 units are much strongers and have much more hp, Mountain giant 1600hp, frost wyrm 1350 hp, damage 135...)
View attachment 391924 Afraid of monster- passive ability Decreased damage that take first of the fires be 20% from ranger attack and 40% from magic attack.
Will this guy be able to deal AoE damage too and does his cry of fear ability grant him permanent hp regeneration each cast?
And I really like your choice of unit models (except for burning archer - that fire effect looks obnoxious). They're very colourful. :wsmile:

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 63
I think you're doing great. You have life being created from death with the tentacles/swarms/parasites requiring corpses to spawn which is both a Green and Black theme. Black generally brings the dead back from the grave as zombies or trades the soul of a living creature to reanimate a dead one. Green will bring something back to life without the need of sacrifice and will return it to it's original pure state. Combine the two and you've got what you described.

The two colors already invade each other's color themes so you're not going to get anything too different when combining them. I guess you could say in regards to G/B that Green is more predominant in the creature-type category while Black is more predominant in the art-style/card effects category.

Some creature types in Green/Black: Zombies, Hydras, Oozes, Mutants, Horrors, Dragons, Humans, Clerics, Shamans, Wizards. The Humanoids are generally morphed into twisted/dark versions of their former selves. The rest are already dark and twisted to begin with.

A list of black/green card effects:
  • Sacrifice: Kill one of your own permanents (mostly creatures) to gain something.
  • Reanimate: Return something from the grave. Normally Black will zombify said thing (return creature from the dead but turn it into a zombie) but in Green/Black this seems to be less common.
  • On Death: Gain life, create a token, gain +X/+X counters (improves power and toughness), draw a card.
  • Keywords: Deathtouch (instantly kill those you touch), Menace (can only be blocked by 2+ creatures because it's so dangerous to face alone), Trample (strike right through or over lesser foes), and more.
Some ability ideas:
  • (Passive - Aura) When a nearby allied unit dies, if you killed it, gain X life. Otherwise, deal X damage to a nearby enemy unit.
  • (Activated on Altar) Sacrifice X units to instantly revive your Hero. A specific hero would add this ability to your Altars (or Altar equivalent).
  • (Activate) Ability remains disabled until a nearby unit dies. Then it becomes active for +4s. This effect stacks up to 12s. Once activated, could have some kind of Death Coil effect or something more unique. It'd need to be extra powerful to compensate for the downtime.
  • (Passive) When this ability user's corpse is used as part of a spell, restore health to nearby allied units.
  • (Passive - Aura - Town Hall ability) When one of your non-hero, non-summoned units dies near your town hall, summon an egg near the town hall that will hatch into a ??? which attacks your foes and lasts for X seconds. Egg hatches rather quickly but is vulnerable and will fail to summon anything if destroyed.

Last edited:
Level 17
Will this guy be able to deal AoE damage too and does his cry of fear ability grant him permanent hp regeneration each cast?
Hi actuali i plan added 2 more units and one of them is supporter spell caster, and he will added fire AoE splash damage to all friendly units, so teoreticali yes 8D, and yes he grand permament +0,5 life regeneration each cast,
And I really like your choice of unit models (except for burning archer - that fire effect looks obnoxious). They're very colourful.

Thx, yes you right personali i dont like effect of cloak of flame too, right now i left it open,

Level 14
Machinemen WIP

Changes have been made to make the machinemen feel more like an 'alien' race. Now instead of training heroes they will rely on the 'mainframe' unit that has taken over the mothership's original role of being the cold, mechanical heart of these cyborgs.
The mainframe functions a little differently from vanilla heroes. Normally heroes will gain experience from creeps until level 5 and then onwards only gain experience from defeating enemy player units. Instead, the mainframe will only gain experience from creeps until level 5 and then onwards be able to gain experience from defeating enemy player units. This will disencourage machinemen players from just bumrushing their opponents 24/7 and gives a reason to creep.
Another deviation is that instead of only gaining 1 skill point each level to learn a new ability or upgrade one already learned the mainframe begins with all its abilities available and they all improve each time it levels up. These abilities, with a couple exceptions, can only affect units near a mothership or a surveillance tower.
Most of the mainframe's abilities will cost more mana than its capacity allows, at least in the beginning. It doesn't gain any stats each level so to increase its mana capacity it will have to rely on building more of the race's food structure, the battery.
To make casting abilties a bit more difficult it doesn't regenerate mana automatically. Instead it has to rely on various units and structures that can provide it mana in different ways.
Machinemen example base.png
Most of these models are from Ket. I just find them absolutely adorable.

Surprisingly the depurated unit is one of the harder units to make even though I thought it'd be the easiest. Turns out wc3 can't distinguish between organic units and non-mechanical units so making one that is both organic and mechanical is a headache to say the least.

The arbiter has been changed to a flying unit as I feel it makes each of its abilities more effective and turns the unit into a pretty effective harassment tool.
Machinemen Reformat.png

They're also good support units too.

Right now I still need to finish making the judge, and a few more flyers. There's one idea I'm playing around with now that doesn't quite fit into the race yet but there's potential. This unit is dubbed the 'Dove' to fit into the faux-pacifistic theme this race has.
Machinemen Dove.png

Run away from the light!

Machinemen in action.png
As the machinemen stand right now they're pretty overpowered, which I guess might be ok seeing that there's no balance category and they're essentially cyborgs with frickin' lazer beams fighting against medieval knights, zombies, buffy green guys, and purple girls in leafy lingerie. And even though Ket's models look cute their portraits are nightmare fuel, like oh god what happened to his face?

Machinemen Warding.png
These surveyors are protectingthe surveillance tower with their warding ability. Don't get too close or you'll be shocked at what happens!

The faction is functional, and lacks many aspects to be counted as playable. Although you can wreck AI in early game.
One more week of full work may change that to playable. It's taking a very good shape.

☼ Gamedesign 95%
Done, will get some rework if in game it don't have the right feeling.

☼ Units 70%
Most of the units are here with most of their easiest abilities. More work is coming about making them more thicc

☼ Buildings 85%
They are all here, and need debugging. The mind nodes can act at any mind node or mind neuron range for now.

☼ Items 0%
Not started.

☼ Heroes 0%
Not started. In the video I can play it with tavern heroes.

☼ Sound 50%
All the units have custom voice lines, could be upgraded any time. Other units, heroes and buildings are yet to be done.

☼ Resources 10%
I may create my own icons and maybe skins, but it does the job right now.

Level 17
at last finish all units and heroe for clan, now all component combine together 8D
finale.png

fly.png
Blue dragon fly- fly spellcaster, A mysterious flying bowler in which is flowing dragon blood. attack ground and fly units
fire breath.png
Support dragon breath-Blue dragon fly use dragon breath and with luck can gifth friendly units fire splash damage and 10 attack bonus for 15 second.
ice pulse.png
Ice pulse-Blue dragon fly decrease enemies armor 4 and movement speed for 15 second.
dragon returns.png
Complete evolution- Blue dragon fly finish evolution and grand 2 new abilitys frost attack and spell resistance.
Despizist.png
Despotist-Powerfull demi hero of clan. Have many passive abilitys which leads clan to abolute victory.
Can take items and used them. Only 2 despotist can be recruit. attack ground units (personal note tomes was replaced with items to avoid game crash,)
Wolf pets.png
Wolfs pet-After you recruit Despitist 2 agry wolfs come with him.
bag.png
Bag-Despotist can take 6 items to his bag (like hero)
sad true.png
Sad true-After is despotist slayed, his dead affect all members of clan. They will have 40% decreased attack damage for 60 seconds.
hero.png
only hero of clan-Ancient monarch- only hero of clan,Mysterious hero from first age, first battle betweens armies of resistance and legions of Dark emperor. Can learn Ice power, Flame armagedon, Crash blow and Hour of clan, attack ground units
Ice power.png
ice power- Ancient monarch use secret power of ice and increase his primal atributes
level 1-Grand ice attack and 4 armor for 10 second. 50 mana
level 2.Grand ice attack, 4armor and 20% attack speed for 15 second. 65 mana
level 3-Grand ice attack, 4 armor, 20% attack speed and 32% move speed for 20 second. 85 mana
hour of clan.png
Ultimate ability, hour of clan-Ancient monarch use his power to increase all close clan units 150 life point for 20 second.

Here's the mid contest advancement. You can have a functional version but don't expect something complete nor working.
If you don't want custom music, play the non-music version (the lighter one).

To play as the custom faction, pick human. A dialog will show at game start. You can still pick normal human. AI won't bother and will pick vanilla human.

☼ Gamedesign 95%
Nothing changed, for now.

☼ Units 95%
The Experimentor needs debug. Attention deficit have been reworked. The Hype train also needs debug and his master level ability. Small tweaks are to be expected.

☼ Buildings 85%
No progress since last time.

☼ Items 0%
Not started.

☼ Heroes 20%
The dictator is almost complete. His spells needs debug and polishing. The three others are yet to come.

☼ Sound 75%
Only 3 hero left, plus the buildings. Their sound design have to be created too before making any file.

☼ Resources 20%
Some models have their skin path changed with small edits. Nothing drastic.

Attachments

• Anorar Dictat of High Deeds 0.1.w3x
    47.4 MB · Views: 26
  • Anorar Dictat of High Deeds 0.1 (no music).w3x
    23.7 MB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Level 14
Here's the mid contest advancement. You can have a functional version but don't expect something complete nor working.
If you don't want custom music, play the non-music version (the lighter one).

To play as the custom faction, pick human. A dialog will show at game start. You can still pick normal human. AI won't bother and will pick vanilla human.

☼ Gamedesign 95%
Nothing changed, for now.

☼ Units 95%
The Experimentor needs debug. Attention deficit have been reworked. The Hype train also needs debug and his master level ability. Small tweaks are to be expected.

☼ Buildings 85%
No progress since last time.

☼ Items 0%
Not started.

☼ Heroes 20%
The dictator is almost complete. His spells needs debug and polishing. The three others are yet to come.

☼ Sound 75%
Only 3 hero left, plus the buildings. Their sound design have to be created too before making any file.

☼ Resources 20%
Some models have their skin path changed with small edits. Nothing drastic.
I think my heart skipped a beat when Snarky Puppy's music started playing. Never would've thought I'd hear them in a wc3 map.

Made my first two units in the faction. I have some interesting mechanics planned, but since they are heavy code, I don't think I can manage everything into the time frame, so I'll get what I can for now.

I will postpone a video for the first WIP, since my channel is waiting for the 2022 first video release at the moment.

EDIT:
Apologize for Double Post, but else I cannot cross the point of informing everyone that I had a WIP video now. I am dumb to forget that Unlisted is a thing.

First WIP.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apologize for Double Post, but else I cannot cross the point of informing everyone that I had a WIP video now. I am dumb to forget that Unlisted is a thing.

First WIP.
Units look broken, or my bad if it's just for test purposes. Multishot can add a lot of dps. 1000 range ? Dats huge :ogre_datass: very long ranged non-siege unit are strong against fleeing low-hp heroes. Your game design implies long range indeed, I think 1000 is excessive, since towers gets 700 range at most. A good compromise would grant them 900-1000 against units and 700 for buildings, so it keeps its long range intent without being broken against defenses supposed to attack anything which isn't artillery (in Warcraft 3 melee, at least). I won't go further in my analysis, simply because of the few data I have and my big biases. Take these as suggestion than critic. It's your stuff after all eh, I got my own to work work :peasant-work-work:

However I like how the little passive abilities add up dynamically. Let's see what it becomes later.
At last for the Soleil Hunter, if you meant Solar hunter but in french Solaire hunter fits better. Although if you meant literally sun hunter, it may work with soleil.

Units look broken, or my bad if it's just for test purposes. Multishot can add a lot of dps. 1000 range ? Dats huge :ogre_datass: very long ranged non-siege unit are strong against fleeing low-hp heroes. Your game design implies long range indeed, I think 1000 is excessive, since towers gets 700 range at most. A good compromise would grant them 900-1000 against units and 700 for buildings, so it keeps its long range intent without being broken against defenses supposed to attack anything which isn't artillery (in Warcraft 3 melee, at least). I won't go further in my analysis, simply because of the few data I have and my big biases. Take these as suggestion than critic. It's your stuff after all eh, I got my own to work work :peasant-work-work:

However I like how the little passive abilities add up dynamically. Let's see what it becomes later.
At last for the Soleil Hunter, if you meant Solar hunter but in french Solaire hunter fits better. Although if you meant literally sun hunter, it may work with soleil.
I'm still thinking about numbers, but the unit is a 3-food 45 second production time so spamming is not easy with this faction. The stat comes after all upgrades are accounted for (initially has 600 range, and 2 upgrades to get 1000 range). I will note the problem with structural defenses though, to give the defensive players a means to counter.

The passive still needs a lot of testing, since I need to account for how this fares against each race in large-scale engagements where there are numerous units that can stack the armor to a crazy amount (say 4v4 with 10 unit/player will yield 20 armor points in total, if they are horribly tight packed). Stackables are something I tend to like a lot for T1, since it gives them viability in late-game (depending on how it is set-up though). It's also, as a bonus, a callback to my joint TC14 entry (that one uses attack increase, this one is armor increase; code-wise, they are similar, but this one uses the new natives where the old one uses 30 ability levels).

Soleil comes from one of the alternative terms I found for Phoenix (I got like Fye, Soleil, and so on) and thus it revolves around the theme of Phoenix. I think Solaire might fit better for the female convention (this was supposed to be male unit if I stick to game plan, but model comes later when I get the tech tree more fleshed out).

Numbers are something I usually tweak last, so this is mostly temporary until I can get the general stuff done properly.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Nice WIP. : )

I will say #1 I think GhostOfPast is right, and not just about being OP, but also just a bit much for (what appear to be) basic T1 units. That's a lot of abilities to think about for such simple units.

Also, consider rewriting the tooltip of the flame-shield one to sidestep directly mentioning the whole "reoccurs every 2 seconds, don't mind the lag"; it's a little "behind the curtains" for Wc3 tooltips.

Finally, I will point out that 'Soleil' is a French word, not English, so it's not exactly an ideal unit-name. If you have to have something Phoenix-related, consider thesaurus-ing stuff like "sun/fire/heat/warmth/etc".

Well, I think I didn't make it clear in the video that the range is supposed to be a T3 element of the unit, but since at T2 it outranges tower (800 at T2), I decided to lower the value to 600/700/800 from 600/800/1000 which still keeps the long-range theme without being too overpowered.

Anyway, here's another WIP. Mostly polishing the units with their actual upgrades and such. Some are yet to be polished, so this is just more of showcasing the faction capabilities further (just a note, there won't be any air units in this faction, so those Gryphons are for testing the anti-air tank). The lava spawn, water elemental, and infernal are summoned units in the actual game (and they are not purchased, rather summoned via abilities), so it's not very visible why they are kept pretty simple compared to the rest.

Some notes on this one:

1. Onyx Artillery Tank has 2 attack types, but the one being used for combat is the slow attack one (the one when not attacking the ward). The rapid firing is used in conjunction with the Convergence Marker ward which comes from T3 structure. This is why I say "Hard-to-counter" in the attribute, since there's no way of countering Onyx firing from base to base short of killing them. (The marker has a long cooldown and very short duration, and it's sort of 'your problem' allowing this to hit your base when there's lots of chance to interrupt)
  2. I discarded tech-steal from my concept since it takes too long for implementation and I want to keep this faction simple for now. The unit roster here is, for now, final. There will be some minor touch-ups, but mostly final.
  3. Might not be extremely clear, but Ferno Decimator Tank is invisible when moving and visible when deployed. I am still tweaking the mobility when deployed. It's complicated since I need to make sure turning is still available for the unit when deployed.
  4. The units might look powerful, but they sure will be balanced by cost when the buildings are available later.
EDIT:
An alpha with the whole tech except heroes and items is now ready. I will get a video for showcase later this week. Hopefully I can wrap this entry by the end of the week.

Last edited:

MOAR ! The map is now in playable state. It's complete enough to compete with other races but still have details to fix until it reaches its full potential. If I die or loose internet for the rest of the contest, pick the attached maps as my entry. Remember there's two version : one with and one without music. Same as before : pick human and a dialog will show and blablablaSQUIRREL !!! cough One week or two of tests and tweaks will be very beneficial. In any case I will continue as usual my changelog here.

☼ Gamedesign 97%
Many nerfs, after (lot of) solo tests. I would need human opponent very soon because bots are too predictable.

☼ Units 97%
A huge amount of bug fixes and added missing abilities. There's some irreducible features which are yet to come. But most of it is here !

☼ Buildings 98%
I could leave it as it is. The mind networks function as expected ! Some minor bugs remains. New researches are on the way to give more temper to the very frenetic techtree.

☼ Items 60%
The easiest is done. The orb gives the extra vanilla feel.

☼ Heroes 95%
Four of them are complete, except for some major and minor bugs.

☼ Sound 90%
I'll have to improve the sound of some units due to their low level, but its not a big deal as it is. The interface insults you when you don't use the mind node correctly, or when you get disrupted.

☼ Resources 80%
I've found gorgeous icons which fits great after small color tweaks. I'm still open to new one if they pop up !

Attachments

• Anorar Dictat of High Deeds 0.2 (no music).w3x
    35.8 MB · Views: 54
  • Anorar Dictat of High Deeds 0.2.w3x
    59.4 MB · Views: 15
I have provided 2 WIPs (which means I have met the requirement for the 2 WIP rule), and I have some WIP videos in line for release tomorrow and the day after, but I cannot sit back to upload my entry to the map section given it is pretty much a state worthy to be defined as final.

As I want to avoid accusations flying since my last WIP is only on the units, I provided this Playlist to showcase that indeed I have additional WIPs of this faction recorded. I have the video scheduled for tomorrow and the day after (and also one more after) just so I can make it part of my upload schedule. The Alpha showcase the whole faction minus the heroes, the first Beta showcases the heroes with a bug on the Crux Rain (Phoenix Lord), the second Beta is pretty much almost final with some minor bug in the Phoenix Vault item lining.

You can check that there are 3 videos still Private since they are scheduled.

Here is my entry: The Phoenix Flames

Level 25
Ah, too bad I noticed the contest this late. I had a good idea for a new race which would fit the black-red colors, but at this point I won't have enough time to implement and polish the race and resolve some functional details without having the entire race looking very rushed and unfinished :sad:

But I must say I really like the ideas from the contestants here, great job guys :thumbs_up:

I've put this off for quite a while, and it definitely looks like we have a lot of interesting entries and WIPs. So, to showcase some of my own WIPs over the past day, here goes the current faction.

1641713309734.png

Units from left to right:
  • Bearkin Pilot - A fearsome anti-structure flying unit, piloted by .. a bear?!
  • Primal Bearkin - Just your regular grizzly bear with lifesteal on bash.
  • Kal'dorei Engineer - A night elf man who aspired not to become a druid, but to be tutored in the intricacies of machinery.
  • Bearkin Assassin - A ranged attacker who shouldn't be too much of a problem, unless she gets lucky.
  • Dragon Cyborg - Powerful all-around trooper capable of shredding melee units with ease. Laughs at piercing attacks.
  • Dragon Footman - Reskinned footmen.
  • Primal Dragon - Powerful ground-type flying unit that delivers its attacks with a corrosive bile. Don't celebrate with your armor just yet.

So far, I've not yet added a hero to the mix, but I'm planning on adding two and presenting them for my next WIP, along with the units' abilities. As for the gimmick of this faction, I leave you to guess until the next WIP.

Also guys, if you want an extensive feedback of your faction, I can be your man (like I did for @Daffa ). But I would do this to playable factions in polishing stage (or like mine, in a stage when everything important is here but isn't complete at 100%). Also I will go full deus vult mode for everything.
If you want my personal notation template :
M&S] When Mythical and Spellbound makes something together on Warcraft 3
S] Great, elegant, extra thicc, easily hooks the mind
A] Good. Nothing much to say except nitpick
B] Genuinely OK, but can be better in many ways
C] Average. Not bad, not good. C- would be "meh"
D] Flawed, or insignificant
E] Unstable, badly made, or just broken
F] Fatal error, ruins the rest
Aesthetics (How well the graphics blends with Warcraft 3 while being elegant)
Fluff (The epicness, spice, philosophy and background of the faction)
Feel & juice (How fun is it to play the faction, how well the faction gives you positive feedback)
Strategy and tactic (How the mechanics blends together, giving the faction its unique approach)
Balance (How its strengths leave space to the rest, does it blends gameplay-wise together with the other 4 races)
Content (Does the faction feels complete compared to its intent and the other races)
Handling & ergonomics (Does this faction have the proper data shown, how easy is it to understand)
Triggers, code, overall polishing (Is the map correctly coded, no leaks, have efficient algorithm, are details taken care of)
Contest rules (Only relevant in a Tech tree contest)
Overall tier
Personal taste (No impact on the rest of the notation, just by curiosity)

Level 14
Machinemen WIP

Machinemen Progress.png
MachinemenUnits.png
Development has slowed down as I'm beginning to do revisions to the units, structures, and even the flavour of the race too. Not to mention having to dance around worldedit's limitations and hardcoded faults.

The machinemen have reverted back to simply being androids because I kept trying to find a way to implement a "you will be assimilated" mechanic of sorts. One of the ideas I had with that was having a flying unit abduct weak enemy units with a modified devour ability then fly them to a building called the Reassembly Yard that would turn them into weaker versions of Peacemakers. Then I remembered making a race that had a similar unit and almost all feedback about it was, uh, extremely negative. So I'd rather not have a repeat of that.
The other idea that I tried was to have the Depurated unit sort of absorb enemy corpses and turn them into resources/energy for the mainframe. This was way too similar to what I did in my last race and it doesn't even fit with the unit.

As for units, I made a few changes to the Dove. Eventually I decided my plan with this one would be better for a ground siege unit. So, after a series of small changes I turned it into the Pulse Tank. And yes, I turned a symbol of peace into a tank. That's just what I do.
I want to keep the unit model and name but right now it serves no purpose but to stand (fly?) and look pretty.

Two other flyers were added: the Patroller and the Subjugator.
The Patroller is a light, fast, anti-air unit that moves even faster while within your 'Control Zone' that's defined by your Surveillance Towers and Mothership(s). The main point of the Patroller is to defend the expansion of your Control Zone.
On the other hand the Subjugator is a heavy, slow, anti-ground unit that can take control of enemy towers with it's upgraded attack.

The Peacemaker's Lock-Up ability is now a Mainframe ability and when it hits level 10 it can remove a single hero from combat indefinitely if the Mainframe has the energy to keep casting it.

I've also decided to try and throw in a custom UI too - just to add to the feel of the race. The thing is, the one I've imported has no widescreen support and it's the only one I could find that really fits with the race. Any thoughts if I should keep it or just forget about the UI?
Machinmen Depot.png

Status
Not open for further replies.